Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  FieroGT stretch Concept (Page 56)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FieroGT stretch Concept by Amida
Started on: 02-11-2006 05:08 PM
Replies: 2389 (259429 views)
Last post by: Mahanimal on 01-06-2024 01:29 PM
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2015 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for sharing the info.

I am currently testing out a couple of different ways to increase the lever travel on the G6 door levers. The increased lever travel should eliminate the door lock jamming issue by adding more slack in the system.

Originally posted by Chris_86GT:

I had the same issue with the BMW series5 door handle, couldn’t make it work right if fitted directly to the linkage rod. So I tried the cable that BMW has (yellow end) and make a bracket to connect with the rod (see pic). If you like I will take a better pic because it doesn’t saws how they connect in this one. It works flawless so far and I can move the panel if I like (forward, backward) since the cable absorbs small movements.

Hope to find a working solution soon, lots of great cars waits your door panels.

Regards,
Chris

IP: Logged
Chris_86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_86GTSend a Private Message to Chris_86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked today the travel of the BMW door handle it is around 18-19mm vs fiero 37-38mm. in order to open the door I fully extend the BMW handle, I have no slack in my setup. I must reconsider my setup because the tolerance (I guess) is 1-2mm and I don’t think that it’s safe. Till now it works but I want to eliminate the possibility of opening the door from outside . I have already thought a way to increase handle travel. You have right to add more slack in the system.

Regards,
Chris
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2015 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob...I hope things are progressing well with the G1 door panels and we all get an update soon...I had to go with these hopefully temporary panels for now:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You ran into a similar problem...shorter than required lever actuation.

Originally posted by Chris_86GT:

I checked today the travel of the BMW door handle it is around 18-19mm vs fiero 37-38mm. in order to open the door I fully extend the BMW handle, I have no slack in my setup. I must reconsider my setup because the tolerance (I guess) is 1-2mm and I don’t think that it’s safe. Till now it works but I want to eliminate the possibility of opening the door from outside . I have already thought a way to increase handle travel. You have right to add more slack in the system.

Regards,
Chris

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Nice Work !

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Rob...I hope things are progressing well with the G1 door panels and we all get an update soon...I had to go with these hopefully temporary panels for now:

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Took some time to finish the main tooling for the G1 passenger door.

Currently evaluating a couple of door lever solutions.

GreyElf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2015 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreyElfSend a Private Message to GreyElfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First post. I have been watching this thread very closely, and was just wondering how the doors are coming.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob,

How is the evaluation of the door lever solutions.

Any solid answers?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
UPDATE: The release levers will be outfitted with 5/8" welded steel extensions to increase lever travel similar to stock specs.

On the door release lever issue. I discovered that the cast aluminum pull lever has a bump stop on the back side that can be ground away. Removing the bump stop allows another 3/16" linkage travel which is enough to eliminate the door lock jamming issue. It does so by adding enough slack in the system so that the lever does not engage the door release mechanism when the lever is in the rest position.

I am currently experimenting with a clevis pin & clip setup to see if it would be better/stronger than using a screw & locknut. For one thing I'm finding that it is very easy to drop the locknut inside the door and the hair pin clip is easier to handle. However, my main concern would be that over time after so many pull cycles that the pin might bend due to the offset of the linkage in relation to the lever. But perhaps the spring tension isn't high enough to worry about the pin bending.

Release lever with clevis pin. The string was tied onto the link after dropping it into the door several times which is very difficult to fish out. Wrapping it with a little masking tape also works. JB weld epoxy is used to eliminate pin wiggle within the lever and a push-on retainer is used to secure it.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-05-2016).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea!
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2015 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
G1 dash & Fiero arm rest upholstered in Mr.Mikes dark grey vinyl #8v.

PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice G1 dash,,,someone is excited...I'm sure!

Not to sound pushy, but any updates on the door panels?
dkh1020

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dkh1020Send a Private Message to dkh1020Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am eagerly awaiting to see the finished product. Will make a nice addition to my Amida dash that I'm currently installing.

Question ? Where did those cool billet Power window switches come from? Also, is that a power mirror control between them. If so where did it come from? Although my switch gear is new, it looks tired.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might be talking about Troyboy's car. You should send him a PM.

Originally posted by dkh1020:
Question ? Where did those cool billet Power window switches come from? Also, is that a power mirror control between them. If so where did it come from? Although my switch gear is new, it looks tired.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
G1 right side sample unit being test fitted. Door release mechanism testing & evaluation underway.

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea...almost there!
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In an effort to save on cost using an insert panel was not part of the original plan. However, the plan had to be changed after having difficulty with a stitched insert during the upholstery process. Therefore, I had to go back and redesign a separate insert panel into the plan. Here, an ABS insert panel, cut by a waterjet, is being test fitted. A finger recess had to be formed on a vacuum jig, and a couple of mounting holes needed to be moved due to interference with the door mounted cross bar. So, the effort to save on cost actually ended up costing more. Funny how that happens.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 11-22-2015).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
UPDATE: The release levers will be outfitted with 5/8" welded steel extensions to increase lever travel similar to stock specs.

Unlike a cable actuated door release where positioning of the lever is not so important the Fiero door release mechanism uses a pull rod and positioning of the lever is very important. Positioning too far to the rear creates too much slack and the lever will not open the door. On the other hand positioning too far forward will pre-load the mechanism and interfere with the door lock causing jamming. The ideal position, I have found, is where the lever is moved forward just enough to remove all of the slack in the rod. At this position the door should open within the last 1/4" of the finger lever pull.

Here, I am experimenting with different size connecting links to find the right length. I've made several lengths from 5/8" - 1 7/16". In the photo I am using 1 1/8".

The BIG question is will all Fieros use the same size link or will there be variability?

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-05-2016).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2015 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Door release lever testing continues. This time with a 5/8" welded steel release lever extension which will increase the lever length to near stock Fiero specs. Holding up very well after 2000 pull cycles so far.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 12-03-2015).]

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exiting news!
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2015 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob, can you post pics of the different door panels you make, I have an upcoming project that will need door panels and I'd like to see what you have that might work, also did you ever sell the extended windshields you had?

Thanks, Joe
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's only the Fi355 & G1. You can see the Fi355 on pg 32-33. My pair of Trevor extended windshields are not for sale. However, if someone wants to make me a fantastic-just-gotta-have-it offer then I may consider it.

Originally posted by motoracer838:

Rob, can you post pics of the different door panels you make, I have an upcoming project that will need door panels and I'd like to see what you have that might work, also did you ever sell the extended windshields you had?

Thanks, Joe

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 12-08-2015).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2015 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Door panel looks great!!! Is that a tweeter in the lower corner and if so, will you make, perhaps, 1998 Firebird-style speaker housing down there?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

Door panel looks great!!! Is that a tweeter in the lower corner and if so, will you make, perhaps, 1998 Firebird-style speaker housing down there?

It is a cap to cover the window hand crank. I'm using SPAL aftermarket power windows which I installed several years back for my Fi355 interior. Sorry, no speaker housings.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone in the USA needs a Speedhut gauge overlay kit I put it up on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141...id=p3984.m1555.l2649

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

G1 door panel tooling waxing & prep for layup.

Test sample #2 trimmed to check scribe lines for hole cuttings. Ready for upholstery.

Molded urethane door lock bezels.

Waterjet cut door panel inserts.
Bob2112

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bob2112Send a Private Message to Bob2112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good!
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are so close...I can almost taste them.

Thanks Rob!
motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2015 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

There's only the Fi355 & G1. You can see the Fi355 on pg 32-33. My pair of Trevor extended windshields are not for sale. However, if someone wants to make me a fantastic-just-gotta-have-it offer then I may consider it.

Thanks Rob. for some reason I thought you had more. What are you expecting the bare G1 door panels to go for?

Joe
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2015 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the anticipation is killing me
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2015 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Give me a price! And gimme these door panels! Love your work amida

------------------

PFF
System Bot
GreyElf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2015 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GreyElfSend a Private Message to GreyElfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
G1 dash covered in Grand Prix black vinyl.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 01-08-2016).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
G1 door panel sample #2 after mold re-working. Upholstery completed & ready for installation.

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me know..ready for my 2 sets!
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another round of test fitting using test panel #2. Black trunk lining was added to the upholstery to see how it would look. Switches were added for the SPAL aftermarket power window kit which was installed previously. Manual window crank handles are replaced with round caps.

motoracer838

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2016 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob, they look great, still need price for bare parts. Thanks.

Joe

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2016 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After 5000+ pull cycles the 5/8" welded steel lever extension performed perfectly. I noticed slight polishing of the clevis pin, but no bending or galling.
I am confident that this is the better alternative than without using an extension. However, a few additional labor hours will add to the fabrication cost.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 01-18-2016).]

mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amida, What seats do you have in your car?
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2016 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mr_corean:

Amida, What seats do you have in your car?

Monaco. They may be called Cobra nowadays.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock