Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  FieroGT stretch Concept (Page 37)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FieroGT stretch Concept by Amida
Started on: 02-11-2006 05:08 PM
Replies: 2389 (259429 views)
Last post by: Mahanimal on 01-06-2024 01:29 PM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-13-2012).]

IP: Logged
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Amida, does your Gallardo console still use the plastic console skeleton underneath, or does it replace it completely?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
www.digikey.com has a few flat toggle switches.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 05:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think it's supposed to be a "Gallardo" console but a budget-minded design that reuses as much of the Fiero switches and gauges as possible, inspired by the Gallardo interior.

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Amida, does your Gallardo console still use the plastic console skeleton underneath, or does it replace it completely?

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2012 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I do understand it's not an exact replica, rather "inspired by". I just don't know what else to call it.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The G1 shifter surround will be designed around the factory black plastic skeleton, and the design must accomodate both factory manual and auto shifters.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Sorry, I do understand it's not an exact replica, rather "inspired by". I just don't know what else to call it.

I'm designating it as the "G1" Fiero replacement dash.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Thanks to InfiniteWill for letting me borrow his auto shifter bezel. The G1 dash does have to accomodate both manual and auto shifters. If the factory shift indicator window is going to be re-used then there will have to be two versions of the G1 shifter bezel.

The stock auto bezel will have to be trimmed around the white plastic backing, and then bonded onto the new G1 bezel.

The new G1 shifter surround is designed around the stock console skeleton, so all components stay in the same positions as a factory console.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-18-2012).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Now that I have access to a factory auto shifter bezel, it looks like I'll have to make another angle adjustement to the central stack/waterfall to make more room for the auto shifter.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 03-18-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Thanks to Whodeanie for sending me this cracked up, dirty old Fiero dash with popsicle sticks for speaker mounts.

For starters, I will need to capture the shape of the speaker openings to transfer over to the new dash.

The top defrost vent bezel cannot be re-used on the new dash, but I'm thinking the honeycomb screen can be re-used. A new 3-piece defroster bezel will need to be water jetted from aluminum.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fascinating work in progress!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Fascinating work in progress!

Like watching an artist work.

i check in everyday to get my Amida fix.
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

x2
ferrobi

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2012 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ferrobiSend a Private Message to ferrobiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

X3
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:
For starters, I will need to capture the shape of the speaker openings to transfer over to the new dash.

Please keep in mind that many Fiero owners use Fierosound's 5 1/4" component speaker conversion kit, which allows more modern speakers in the stock location in addition to factory 4"x10" oval speakers. Please make sure your dash accommodates that. Shouldn't be much of a problem as his template follows the stock cutouts. If you allow for 6 1/2" speakers you would open up the market to an even greater variety of aftermarket speakers. If that is possible, while still following the spirit of "factory components", please allow for users to use these three types of speakers.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-21-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Same here. Amida is one of the truly great Fiero/Kit car designers/modifiers/fabricators.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-21-2012).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks to Whodeanie for sending me this cracked up, dirty old Fiero dash with popsicle sticks for speaker mounts.

The top defrost vent bezel cannot be re-used on the new dash, but I'm thinking the honeycomb screen can be re-used. A new 3-piece defroster bezel will need to be water jetted from aluminum.

lol, your welcome. anything I can do to help.
I did not do the stick, it was a dash out of one of our parts cars.
can not wait to see the new dash
D.

Twinn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TwinnSend a Private Message to TwinnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you planning on doring G1 door panels as well?
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Brilliant question jus above!! I was wondering if you would make them from the existing 355 like doors, like adding a new piece to the already 355 doors or a whole new mold?

Thanx all, for yur time!!

Air-eek
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 04-28-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think we're at something like paint/character line yet. Good point of thinking about it though.

Amida, I'm a bit confused on how much of the stock plastic skeleton remains. Where does it get cut? Why did you choose to keep the stock plastic skeleton rather than making the center tunnel narrower/lower by reducing the bulk of the Fiero plastic tunnel cover? If you wanted to keep the stock arm rest, would it have been possible to cut the plastic skeleton further back, or use another mounting option?

How much leg/knee room do we loose with this dash swap? how much further does it intrude into the cabin space than the old dash? Now that you have a stock dash, could you do a few comparison pictures?
Despite using the plastic tunnel, is the G1 dash lower or about the same height than the factory shifter surround with the ash trays?

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2012 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just realized this would lend itself great to an iPad, or Android tablet in the central stack. This could create a touch screen entertainment system similar to what Tesla did in their Model S sedan.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007
It would be great if you could revisit the gated shifter idea.

I always liked the gated shifter (Audi R8 version)

Btw.: the gated shifter on the Audi R8 is "fake", as in the gears are selected at the transmission. (just like our cars, and most modern cars) The gates are just for looks and have enough "give/slop"in in them to allow for quick shifts. (one of the main downsides of classic Italian gates, which were actual gears selectors)

Even the Audi TT guys are doing gated shifter conversions.

Audi TT forum
You're using the Audi TT shifter surround, right? Wish it were that easy. :dreaming:

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually working on a 7" Galaxy Tab plus (4G) that will cleanly dock in the dual din section of the center console perfectly to power a very interactive system. I would consider moving to a 10 inch if I knew someone who could script in andriod (linux) to monitor and control the climate controls and other functions...not feasible at this time as far as I can see it. I am working a nice full HUD projection system that will also utilize an xbox Kinect to control and interact with the hud display in front of you.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2012 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Actually working on a 7" Galaxy Tab plus (4G) that will cleanly dock in the dual din section of the center console perfectly to power a very interactive system. I would consider moving to a 10 inch if I knew someone who could script in andriod (linux) to monitor and control the climate controls and other functions...not feasible at this time as far as I can see it. I am working a nice full HUD projection system that will also utilize an xbox Kinect to control and interact with the hud display in front of you.

It's feasible. Google worked with the folks over at Arduino and made an API so an Android can control an Arduino, see: Amarino, Google Android Arduino SDK

Quick summary: An Arduino, Wikipedia Arduino is a microcontroller that's very easy to program for, as the hardware is standardized, well documented and and open source. The programming language, basically a simplified C, is based on Wiringand Processing. Processing was invented as a teaching tool to get students to learn programming quickly and without the frustration of learning too much at once.

Said Arduino can be made to control button presses, and basically emulate the controls for a standard Fiero HVAC unit. An Arduino could even control a servo, which then would move the temperature selection cable. (or in the case of a non A/C fiero, 2 servos could control both cables.)

All you need now is someone with some graphical/artistic talent to draw a pretty user interface that would control all that.

As you can probably tell from the above I thought this through already and am learning (albeit slowly, as this project gets consistently shoved onto the back burner) how to program and accomplish the above. Maybe Amida's dash will finally be the motivation for me to kick this project into a higher gear and possibly make this available to others. (until now I thought, -apart from a fellow kit car enthusiast- I was the only one interested in such a project)

The beauty of Android & Arduino, vs. Apple it's all open source, and there is a community of fellow tinkerers out there doing all kinds of cool projects. It helps with inspiration, and giving each other support.

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 03-28-2012).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Twinn:

Are you planning on doring G1 door panels as well?

Possibly, but it would depend on whether there is enough initial interest in the dash.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

HI all

Brilliant question jus above!! I was wondering if you would make them from the existing 355 like doors, like adding a new piece to the already 355 doors or a whole new mold?

Thanx all, for yur time!!

Air-eek

I cannot say at the moment, I really haven't giving any thought on door panels.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

code:

TX OPIE

Nice car!
PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Why did you choose to keep the stock plastic skeleton rather than making the center tunnel narrower/lower by reducing the bulk of the Fiero plastic tunnel cover?

You should read my previous posts. My goal is to make this as simple and as cheaply as possible. The dash will utilize as many Factory Fiero parts as possible to ensure the easiest possible installatlion. Only the Forward skeletal section is removed. This will be a Fiero replacement dash, not a Gallardo replica.

How much leg/knee room do we loose with this dash swap? how much further does it intrude into the cabin space than the old dash? Now that you have a stock dash, could you do a few comparison pictures?
Despite using the plastic tunnel, is the G1 dash lower or about the same height than the factory shifter surround with the ash trays?

I will answer these questions after I am finished with the design work...at this point I do not have any definite answers

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

It would be great if you could revisit the gated shifter idea.

I always liked the gated shifter (Audi R8 version)

I will not be making replica switches, or a replica console with shift gate. However, that doesn't mean that the end user cannot make his own mods. But, I get a sense from your questions & suggestions that you are looking for a Gallardo replica interior. I want to make it clear that my goal is NOT to create a detailed replica dash. This is the WRONG market place for that. My goal is to design the lowest cost replacement dash that I can possibly make for the Fiero community. That means cutting back on the level of details, reducing the number of parts/molds that must be made, re-using factory parts/components, and minimizing the amount of labor hours required to design, fabricate and install this dash.

I know this may not be what you're looking for, but it is a compromize that must be made for the Fiero marketplace. The kitcar market is a different story, however, the Fiero based replica market is dead...if not dead then near flat lining.

Thanks,

Rob
Fierovation

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Another Fi512 nose out the door...to California.

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
What is this odo window on the right for? is it needed in a new panel?

TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
could we easily add add a basic digital compass that showed: s, sw, n, ne, e, se, nw ?
Goldenfoot05

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Goldenfoot05Send a Private Message to Goldenfoot05Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought is was just to retain the symmetry. It would be awesome if it showed temp and compass!
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2012 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

could we easily add add a basic digital compass that showed: s, sw, n, ne, e, se, nw ?

Maybe behind that dummy odo window on the right.

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rob,
i really like where this is going..but then again i own one of your noses so i know the kind of work you do. the theory of keeping it affordable and using as much of the donor dash will keep costs for the buyer down and still leave room for personal tweeks should some one so desire. if used as is, it will still make for an awsome looking dash. i think you are right on target.
keep up the good work.
al
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock