Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  FieroGT stretch Concept (Page 14)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FieroGT stretch Concept by Amida
Started on: 02-11-2006 05:08 PM
Replies: 2389 (259429 views)
Last post by: Mahanimal on 01-06-2024 01:29 PM
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2008 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:
Unless you drop a engine block on it I think you're safe.

Aww, now why'd ya haveta go and say that fer? I have a duke block sitting in the shop where the car is. Ooohh, worry, worry.....

------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

IP: Logged
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 04:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't blame you for quiting fiberglass work. I REALLY don't like working with polyester resins with all the solvent vapors around my face all day, and the glass dust created from all the grinding is aweful. I just built a better ventilation system which will help some, and I'm thinking of building a vacuum table as well. If paper mache was a proven building material I would switch to it in a heartbeat .

You could use paper mache to start a plug and finish it with bondo and glazing puty. grinding fiberglass doesn't get to me much, what I hate is getting resin on my hands, I can wear gloves all day but I somehow get it on me just before I finish.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 04-01-2008).]

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

You could use paper mache to start a plug and finish it with bondo and glazing puty. grinding fiberglass doesn't get to me much, what I hate is getting resin on my hands, I can wear gloves all day but I somehow get it on me just before I finish.

It's a messy job, you're gonna get dirty no matter how hard you try to be neat. I have to remind myself that fact constantly.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The bumper fits very well, just like stock simply because I replicated all the mounting locations on the GT Aero even on the bottom side. Here are some comparison shots with a GT Aero. I did notice that the screw hole locations are different at the bottom & sides on my Formula so I will not pre-drill those locations. I'm guessing the Notchies will be similar. Notice the overall width is the same with the only difference at the bottom corners where the GT kicks out and the Fi355 curves in. Notice also how much shorter the fi355 is to the GT, I'd say it's about 3 inches. These will be the last shots until I get my demo nose painted & car lowered. I'm debating whether I should start a new thread for exterior work.
x

DeLorean00

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want one of these soo bad!!
CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2008 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This is for sale on Ebay. Could be a start.. ?

[This message has been edited by CoryFiero (edited 04-01-2008).]

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2008 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This is for sale on Ebay. Could be a start.. ?

I saw that link. Would'nt there be a major cooling issue if installing a nose designed for side radiators onto the Fiero?

Also, most of the cool air will have to come from below if on a Fiero, IMO. Air flow through the side vents will have to be somehow be pushed to the center & then re-directed rearward to the central radiator. Seems like there would be alot of turbulence inside the nose.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 04-02-2008).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I saw that link. Would'nt there be a major cooling issue if installing a nose designed for side radiators onto the Fiero?

Also, most of the cool air will have to come from below if on a Fiero, IMO. Air flow through the side vents will have to be somehow be pushed to the center & then re-directed rearward to the central radiator. Seems like there would be alot of turbulence inside the nose.

The bumper pad noses grab air from the bottom. Just need to do the same thing with the 360 nose. I'd plumb the side vents to the front brakes.

Also, did you notice that the first pic in the ad was from a 355? The rest are 360 pics.

Bob
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2008 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

The bumper pad noses grab air from the bottom. Just need to do the same thing with the 360 nose. I'd plumb the side vents to the front brakes.

Also, did you notice that the first pic in the ad was from a 355? The rest are 360 pics.

Bob

Yes, I noticed that, my donor f355 nose was purchased off of Ebay as well. It was quite a learning curve to tweek that to the Fiero, but I'm really happy with how it turned out. The real benefit is that it now provides the foundation for any other designs that I do which will only involve cosmetic changes; critical dimensions & flanges are already done !

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Before the new nose can be installed the steel bumper will need to be trimmed on the lower corners to make room for the new turn signals. Also, the lip on the ends will need to be angled back to 45 degrees to clear the valance panel flange.
x

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I decided to replace the old light bulb sockets with the newer right angle 3157 type . The Nissan turn signal lights have a 4-slot socket instead of the GMs 3-slot so I had to use a dremel to re-shape the slots in the light housings. I suppose that wouldn't be necessary if Nissan sockets were used ( 3-wire version).
x

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 04-19-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The Catz fog lights weren't cheap but they came with its own wire harness & relay setup. While I was at it I decided to replace the old beater horn with Ferrari type duo trumpets. Anyone know what that big relay on the left is for?
x

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Lights installed. Use of rubber bumper pads prevent vibration contact with fiberglass/paint surface.

x
x
Modified light socket for 3 slot GM plug.

x
x
New optional Fi355 lightweight ABS grill compared with original size aluminum F355 replica grill from BillSpyder.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 04-14-2008).]

HC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HCClick Here to visit HC's HomePageSend a Private Message to HCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! Is the Pontiac logo fixed on to the grill yet? Maybe try on a front bumper emblem?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...dZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That BillSpyder grill is a POS. I bought one and waited for 3 months to get it, once I got it I took it apart and tossed it the trash. It didnt have a curve in it, was not welded together, etc. I have a OEM 355 grill now (will Robert does).
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HC:

Nice! Is the Pontiac logo fixed on to the grill yet? Maybe try on a front bumper emblem?

I still have an old one, however it's a little faded.
x

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2008 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by DeLorean00:

That BillSpyder grill is a POS. I bought one and waited for 3 months to get it, once I got it I took it apart and tossed it the trash. It didnt have a curve in it, was not welded together, etc. I have a OEM 355 grill now (will Robert does).

I purchased the aluminum grill from Billspyder a few years ago. Although it was curved & edges rounded it was held together with threaded rods, nuts & spacers which I thought could have been improved upon.
DeLorean00

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DeLorean00Send a Private Message to DeLorean00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahh I didnt know he made a cured one now. Well anyway the treaded rods did not work with my AD355. It seems like a well made 355 replica grill would be a good selling item, not only for kit cars but also for real Ferrari owners. I have found that a lot of Ferrari owners are very cheap.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With a lowered suspension the possibility of scraping the bottom side of the nose on a driveway somewhere becomes more likely. Just as a precaution I added a pair of 1/4" skid pads secured by rivets.
x

fierov8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierov8Click Here to visit fierov8's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierov8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Amida!

I've been lurking watching this for a while. Count me in as part of the interested....

The one nagging question that I have had in the back of my head watching this unfold is............is this the same height as a stock GT front fascia, or is it shorter? In the pics on page 13, it looks like the nose is significantly shorter. Don't know if that is a result of the aftermarket ground effects that you have on your Formula, but I think it makes the nose stand out more instead of blending in with the rest of the car.

If it blends in better with stock GT style ground effects, I'd definitely consider it to replace the nose on my GT.....see the car and the buildup here:

http://orphancars.com/fiero.html

thx!

-jeff d

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierov8:

Hi Amida!
............is this the same height as a stock GT front fascia, or is it shorter?

Jeff, Nice build. It looks like you put alot of work into it; nice interior too.

Actually the Fi355 nose sits maybe 1.75"-2.00" lower at the front hence the reason for the skid pads. You'll notice that I've replicated the bottom GT mounting flange that bolts to the bottom of the radiator. In order to do that the wheel arch on the nose was made the same height as the GT, then slopes only slightly up towards the front. The stock GT nose would look so much better if the bottom was more level.
x

x
My Formula was a stolen recovery vehicle purchased at an auction near Sedro Woolley, WA. It was picked up by a forklift which crushed the rockers that was on it. The car sits way, way too high, and I Don't know the origins of these rockers but they kick the sides out about 4 inches and appear to sit lower than stock as well. I may put an Enzo touch on it since I don't have any replacement rockers for it.

Thanks,

Rob
FieroVation
Seattle, WA. USA

PFF
System Bot
GT2efiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT2efieroSend a Private Message to GT2efieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I like the XLR mix with the fiero. That would be a body kit that i would enjoy. If i had the time and talent i would take on that project my self, but honestly wouldn't know where to start.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT2efiero:

Personally, I like the XLR mix with the fiero. That would be a body kit that i would enjoy. If i had the time and talent i would take on that project my self, but honestly wouldn't know where to start.

Or, if you have a little spare change you could commission me to build it.
x

OR

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I Don't know the origins of these rockers but they kick the sides out about 4 inches and appear to sit lower than stock as well.

They look like archies.
fierov8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierov8Click Here to visit fierov8's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierov8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Rob,

Thanks for the reply, the props, and the explanation

I have to repaint the front and rear bumpers on mine (poor paint prep.....thanks Keystone!), so might as well update the looks as well. Let me know when this is ready for prime time. Awesome work!!!

-jeff d
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

They look like archies.

I think Archie rockers have a sharp beveled edge with no side walls. One thing is for sure, the stock Formula rear bumper doesn't work with it. I have a GT rear that I can throw on instead, or maybe I can add somekind of Enzo-like diffuser attachment to it.
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by fierov8:

Hello Rob,

Thanks for the reply, the props, and the explanation

I have to repaint the front and rear bumpers on mine (poor paint prep.....thanks Keystone!), so might as well update the looks as well. Let me know when this is ready for prime time. Awesome work!!!

-jeff d

You bet. Wheels are off right now, thought I'd see about dropping the suspension first before taking some finished photos. The ride height really looks horrible.
Doing some backyard grilling if anyone wants to join?

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think Archie rockers have a sharp beveled edge with no side walls. One thing is for sure, the stock Formula rear bumper doesn't work with it. I have a GT rear that I can throw on instead, or maybe I can add somekind of Enzo-like diffuser attachment to it.

I have Archie rockers and have been thinking about putting a formula rear bumper on my car and then adding a diffuser. Make a bolt on and I will send you a check
Right now I have a GT bumper but don't like the body lines, if I keep it I will have to smooth it or something, it just doesn't flow for my taste.
MID.KNIGHT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MID.KNIGHTSend a Private Message to MID.KNIGHTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHEN THIS NOSE IS READY COUNT ME IN I AM READY TO BUY ONE RIGHT AWAY!!!!!FOR MY 4.9 LET ME KNOW BY PM OR EMAIL ME
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

I have Archie rockers and have been thinking about putting a formula rear bumper on my car and then adding a diffuser. Make a bolt on and I will send you a check
Right now I have a GT bumper but don't like the body lines, if I keep it I will have to smooth it or something, it just doesn't flow for my taste.

So, do the rockers on my Formula look the same as yours? Your GT rear bumper still will be better than the Formula. With the bevel cut on the bottom side of the Formula bumper it seems perfect for something to bolt up to it, don't you think?

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So, do the rockers on my Formula look the same as yours? Your GT rear bumper still will be better than the Formula. With the bevel cut on the bottom side of the Formula bumper it seems perfect for something to bolt up to it, don't you think?

Exactly what I was thinking, the black lip at the bottom would be easy to bolt to with a few holes. I was thinking about something close to what Bubba did but without the bottom flair and putting the tips in the stock locations.
The screen would help with air flow but help hide the cradle and exhaust pipe.

PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is pretty low back there. It reminds me of the rear of a speedboat, there is this spoiler-like thing at the waterline with turnbuckles on it. I would raise it up a bit & give it a little angle too.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2008 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is pretty low back there. It reminds me of the rear of a speedboat, there is this spoiler-like thing at the waterline with turnbuckles on it. I would raise it up a bit & give it a little angle too.

I would cut the bottom almost flush with the screen, I don't care for the lip. But a 3 inch extension with a screen in the back around the exhaust tips.
I don't know, it will probably be a lot less work to just smooth a GT bumper
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would cut the bottom almost flush with the screen, I don't care for the lip. But a 3 inch extension with a screen in the back around the exhaust tips.
I don't know, it will probably be a lot less work to just smooth a GT bumper

Maybe move the tips into the license plate nook & move the plate up. It's BurgerKing..have it your way!

pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome looking Fiero.
Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have thought about that, but I'm too old school for that I like the tips where they are. I would put some in the front if I could and have surround sound

The Archie rockers disrupt the lines that are molded into the stock bumper, I could live with it if the line between the two colors was filled and the bottom of each side was widened another inch to match the rocker width.
Slice this part and cut the bottom of the bumper so it can be pulled out.

Then all I need is some 245s on the back
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pdemondo:

Awesome looking Fiero.

It's Bubbajoexxx's car .
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Amida

2349 posts
Member since Jul 2003

I have thought about that, but I'm too old school for that I like the tips where they are. I would put some in the front if I could and have surround sound

The Archie rockers disrupt the lines that are molded into the stock bumper, I could live with it if the line between the two colors was filled and the bottom of each side was widened another inch to match the rocker width.
Slice this part and cut the bottom of the bumper so it can be pulled out.

Then all I need is some 245s on the back

245s? How about 275s? So, do I have Archie Rockers? Look how small it makes the rear look.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amida, PM question 2 U
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2008 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's Bubbajoexxx's car .

Not anymore.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 60 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock