Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  UPDATE: The Turbo Ecotec Fiero (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
UPDATE: The Turbo Ecotec Fiero by fieroturbo
Started on: 01-17-2004 11:54 AM
Replies: 661
Last post by: fieroturbo on 07-18-2011 11:26 PM
fieroturbo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys!

Since my site is working like a horse with a broken leg, I figured I'd post updates here.

So far, I have:
- Complete stock Ecotec 2.2 motor with 5,000 miles ($700, paid for and is on its way)
- 5-speed tranny ($300, on hold for me until I get back to the US)
- Garret T3/T4 hybrid turbo
- Exploited turbo manifold
- Wiring harness and ECM

and most recently I purchased a bare block (nothing in it) and a complete cylinder head, both of which I'll use for my bulletproof motor build with a T60 turbo (shooting for 700+HP), once the stock one with the T3/T4 is in the car and working, and the custom installation is safe, sound, and secure.

NOTE: I am still looking for an 88 cradle from somewhere in the Northeast US. Looking at price no higher than $200, but would prefer $150

Once the second motor has been built and installed, I'm going to start working on a complete kit, with tubular engine cradle, so anyone can convert to the Ecotec. Those dukes are getting old, and something just as light, or even lighter, and has good MPG, has to replace them. May as well be a motor that is pulling 1,200 HP on drag stips

I'll keep you guys updated. The conversion starts in March.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good. The Ecotec seems like it would be a pretty good motor built up.
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. There are lot's of ecotec's in Opel's around here and I read it is a strong engine...But going from 6 to 4 cilinders sounds less appealing to me My favorite is still the 3800SC swap but it is up to you to prove a turbo ecotec will bust the 3800SC. Good luck!
DustoneGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, we gots to see if it can compete w/ the 3800 SC.

Why not use the GM supercharger?

------------------
May those that love us love us. For those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts. But if he can't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles, so that we may know them by their limping.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
300HP to start off..... yeah, that should beat out the 3800SC

Stock form, this motor has 140HP, and in the Saturn Vue's, it's 160HP. Right there it's more powerful than the Fiero GT's.

The big kick with this motor is that the block weighs 69lbs. Theoretically, this will give the Fiero a 50/50 weight balance (or 49/51). Either way, it will definitley improve the car in every way possible. Acceleration, MPG, handling, braking, etc. Vehicle weight should fall under the 2500lb mark, and will come close to the 2400lb mark, much like the 84 Fiero's.

Another high point is that on stock internals, the motor can take 300HP worth of boost on a constant basis. The Cavalier race teams, during test runs, tried the motor with nitrous, and it held up to about 420HP when the rods blew. Signs of motor fatigue showed at about 350HP, and they sustained the NOS at about 300.

Note that I'll keep the boost to a lower level for daily drving, and shoot for a 200HP level, but when I crank it up, to about 300HP, an auto-boost sensing alcohol injection kit will kick in, turning regular pump gas into race fuel, and will also act as an additional intercooler, and will clean ALL carbon out of the motor.

Funny you should mention the 3800. I found out about alcohol injection through a few Buick GN guys. Buick Grand Nationals have an earlier turbo version of the current 3800SC.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2004 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
Oh yeah, and with the supercharger thing...

GM hasn't officially released a supercharger for the Ecotec yet, only the Quad 4. RSM has a Vortec SC kit for the Ecotec, which I think is what the first Ecotec Fiero has (that's right, I'm number 2). It's an 84 S/E Ecotec Supercharged. I found out this info on automotiveforums.com. The guy's friend told me about it, and is trying to get his bud's current e-mail address. I have some slight issues to ask about.

The axles and shift links are the hard parts. I know a place to have customized axles made, but the cost is up there, and I'd like to find a cheaper alternative for the first part of the conversion.

Shift links could take awhile to get working, but there's so many car freaks and metal fabricators in the Navy, I'll find someone. My supervisor is an Airframer, and he's already offered to help, plus a few Navy welders/mechanics in the autoshop at the airbase offered to help me if I ever do engine work to my car. I never had to ask. Everyone is so enthused at the sight of a mid-engined car in Maine, and is even more shocked that it's an American car.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
My name is Mr. Bumpy, I go BUMP in the night.

And I want to test my new sig.

------------------
Airman Michael C Casaceli
Patrol Squadron Ten, United States Navy
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (project starts in MARCH 2004)
1988 Oldsmobile Firenza 2.0L non-turbo (RIP. KIA by a Ford)
19** Chevy S-10....Coming soon

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
This goes without saying, PICS!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2004 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Keep us updated for sure, especially about the cost because if its reasonable, I might consider doing this in a few years.

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah, forgot about pics.

Here's my T3/T4 Turbo. For size comparison, that is a new Dell Inspiron Laptop in the background. It's not a very large turbo, but it should support up to 400HP. The benefit is impressive power, with minimal turbo lag.

My dad took the photo, since he's holding onto all parts while I'm overseas for deployment. I'll have him get a photo of the manifold, as well as the motors when they come.

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 07-18-2004).]

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroturbo:

Stock form, this motor has 140HP, and in the Saturn Vue's, it's 160HP. Right there it's more powerful than the Fiero GT's.

No, it's 135hp-140hp for the 2.2L in cars and 143hp in the Vue. Just adding a standard turbo will get you over 200hp. These little engines breath very well. In drag racing they have used alcohol injected engines and got into the 600hp range.

PFF
System Bot
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Check out this site on the eco-tec....it is very impressive.

http://www.year2032.com/ecotec.pdf

------------------
87 Fiero GT (3.2 Turbo)
E-mail: davidfiero@hotmail.com
www.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
A standard turbo is a T3 Super 60. This puppy is a T3/T4 Hybrid. A step higher.

And the drag teams are WAY higher than 600HP now. They hit 1,200HP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oops, my bad. I heard the Ecotec being 160 in something. I'll have to look it up again. It's 145 in the Vue.

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L, soon to be 2.2L Ecotec Turbo (project starts in MARCH 2004)

swanthog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for swanthogSend a Private Message to swanthogDirect Link to This Post
Check out this quote:

"GM Performance Parts will also offer a complete, over-the-counter Ecotec crate engine based on the ION Red Line's supercharged 2.0-liter/200-horsepower engine in mid-2004. "

I found this article:
http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Motorsports/saturnboostedecotec.shtml

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
yeah, already know about that though www.j-body.org. The stock crate motor from paceparts.com is about $3500, so the redline supercharged one will be in upwards of $4500, or maybe even above $5000.

The supercharger is ok, but there are some serious limitations to supercharging. Supercharger's drain 30% from the crank pulley to operate. Turbo's only utilize about 10% of the engine's power. Much more effecient than supercharging. Plus supercharger's can only spin to about 55,000-65,000 RPMs. Turbo's can go over 90,000 RPMs, and have WAY more upgrade potential.

The only thing is, supercharging doesn't have the turbo lag associated with most 4 bangers. But lag can help with traction issues.

All in all, for what I want, turbo is the better option. Plus for that "bulletproff" second motor I talked about, I'm getting the crank the race teams use. 9,700RPM's Baby!!! Plus it really boosts the reliability of the bottom end to near indestrucable levels.

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
with 9700 rpm you are going to need some hellatious valve springs!!!
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2004 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

A standard turbo is a T3 Super 60. This puppy is a T3/T4 Hybrid. A step higher.

And the drag teams are WAY higher than 600HP now. They hit 1,200HP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oops, my bad. I heard the Ecotec being 160 in something. I'll have to look it up again. It's 145 in the Vue.

Well GM Powertrain states only 143hp, As well as Saturn's website. Here's the link for the 2004 Vue specs: (click on "specs")

http://www.saturn.com/saturn/featurespricing/specifications.jsp?nav=510

The Vue engine dyno is:

and the other cars get:

The same GM website states: "FWD Cavalier, Sunfire mark change in direction for drag racing With a remarkable 600 to700 horsepower (depending on the class in which the car is competing) from only four cylinders"
(Note: this was for the 2002 race season)

On the "events" page "Marty Ladwig's Pontiac Sunfire is ready for the 2004 season with a recently built engine. This motor currently delivers over 800 horsepower on the front wheel drive drag cars!"

I still don't know where your getting the other 400hp.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 01-19-2004).]

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
The other 400HP is from the Cavalier drag cars, not the sunfire. The sunfire is a bit de-tuned, has a FWD auto tranny, and only has a wet sump oiling system.

The drag cavi's have a 6-speed FWD tranny (custom built I think), a dry sump oiling system, and one of the cars for sure (maybe two of them) have hit 1200HP. If that other didn't yet, then it's still at the 1100HP mark. At around Sept 2003 they were at 1050HP, then hit 1100HP about a month and a half later, then at about the time Saturn Motorsports said it was going to build a drag Ion, with Ecotec, one of the Cavi teams (the summit racing one I think) announced 1200HP. The other teams may have caught onto that point by now. I'm overseas so I miss some of the latest info. I'll know for sure in Feb when I get back to the US.

As far as valve springs go, www.mantapart.com has them, along with tons of other valvetrain parts. They also have bronze valve guides for their stainless steel valves, but I want to see if they can get titanium valves. A chemical bond can occur between bronze and steel, but when bronze is used with titanium, the friction is WAY lower than any other combination. Del West may actually have the valves I need. They do in fact have titanium valves for the Iron Duke!!!

Also, in that PDF link that RotrexFiero put up, in it, it says that the true crank HP levels are at 160HP, even though GM rates all of their motors in the 140HP area. Reason? Probabbly to lower insurance costs. The less HP a car is rated with, the lower the buyer has to pay for insurance .

Also, it is in fact 145HP from saturn's website:

Quote: Standard equipment includes a 145-horsepower, 2.2-liter, DOHC engine, five-speed manual transmission, fold-flat front passenger seatback, rear cargo organizer, height-adjustable driver's seat and polymer bodyside panels.

Honestly, who cares. It's 2HP.

Anywho, just a little FYI: Lisa Kubo, the legendary Honda Civic drag racer, is the driver of the Saturn Motorsports Drag Ion (does that make her a drag queen? lol j/k). Anywho, in the second 1/4 mile pass with the car, she did an 8.06. This was with a turbo Ecotec (turbotec?) that was hardly tuned. We're talking like miniscule small tuning. They used the performance parts from www.goodwrench.com.

Imagine what I could do with a Fiero

------------------

bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
If you really want to turbo a Fiero with a 4 cyl, look at the Quad! I may be a little biased, but back in the early or mid 90s Jim Fueling was making over 1200hp with it and (with a less radical engine) taking the stock bodied Olds Calais over 200mph. You can see my thread, but if you want to stick with the Ecotec, go for it! It seems to be a nice engine, and the aftermarket will definitley make for less headaches! Good luck!
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo...It has begun
88 VW GTI 16v ($300 driver --> 0-60mph? Yes!)
88 Fiero Formula (parts car)

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I considered the Quad 4 back in 2001. After having the Fiero for a year, I was getting sick of the Duke, but the suspension/brakes needed MAJOR attention, so all of the money went into that. It was WELL worth it, because power without control is useless and stupid.

My main reasons for not going with the Quad is that for one, although the head is aluminum, the block is iron, so for my goal to acheive best possible handling, the Ecotec, which is 100% aluminum, is the better choice. The block weighs a mere 69lbs.

Another reason is because I'm in the military. Therefore, when I re-enlist in 3 years, (well, if I do), I may choose orders to places like Spain, or Italy... maybe even Greece. Over in Europe, the Ecotec is widely used in cars such as Opel and Vauxhaul, and even Saab is using it too. Therefore, parts will be extremely easy to get, no matter where in Europe I go.

Something I kept in mind for the future, is that GM is coming out with a 2.4L Variable Valve Timing Ecotec, 2005 I think, when they release the Chevy Cobalt, the replacement for the Cavalier. With that said, it's obvious that the Ecotec has only barely begun a long, and vast life in the automotive industry, whereas the Quad 4 hit the end of its production in 2002.

Don't get me wrong, the Quad 4 is a great motor. Probabbly easier to install in Fiero's, as tranny from the 94-earlier ones bolt right in, and the 95-02 versions have conversion kits from companies like American Custom Engineering. I think the Quad 4 is the greatest acheivement that Oldsmobile has ever had. And this is coming from a guy who worships Old's Aurora's, and thinks they are the greatest sedan ever made.

But like I said, I'm looking into the future, and the Ecotec has a long and bright one to say the least. When the company that created it is making their own performance parts, you know you struck gold. Some say it's the next 350 Chevy. All we need is a better car to put it in, like the upcoming Chevy Cobalt, or the Pontiac Solstice, or maybe a new Fiero

And one other thing to point out, the Ecotec is in what is officially the quickest 4 cylinder car in the world; the summit racing drag cavalier.

By the way Bryson, how is the conversion of yours coming? I saw the pics in November, and it looks SWEEEETT, to say the least. Keep up the good work man! Guys like you and me are rare and few. We don't just think about doing projects, we do them, and show pics to prove it

BTW, here's a pic of my motor. Nice, clean, and only 5,000 miles on it. This is the pic of it before the previous owner took it out of the 2003 Cavalier it was in.

Later!

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
very nice engine... why did they owner get rid of such a new engine?

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

www.KylesFiero.tk

PFF
System Bot
FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
I pretty much agree with everything that fieroturbo has said about the Ecotec... it may well be today's equivalent of the SBC. Aside from the modern technology, the biggest advantage is in the light weight... not only does it shed unnecessary weight, it allows for a better front-rear weight distribution whether in a FWD car or transplanted into a Fiero. AND, a nice compact package.

BTW, which transmission do you intend to use? If a manual, I would be interested in knowing whether than trans is readily adaptable to other common Fiero engine upgrades. Keep us up to date on your progress.

------------------
FierOmar

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Why did the owner get rid of the engine? Good question, and it's sorta ironic too.

The j-body I used to have, 1988 Olds Firenza, was more or less demolished in the rear. Funny thing is, the j-body this motor came from suffered a similar fate. It's like keeping the spirit of my rear-ended j-body alive
--------------------
A little heads up...READ THIS!!! I just saw it in this month's Car Craft magazine.

As if the Ecotec wasn't the quickest 4 banger in the drag racing world, now it just set a record at bonneville in the G/Blown Fuel Altered Class.

!!!!!!!!!!! 212MPH !!!!!!!!!!!!! In a Saturn Ion.

I don't know if you guys read Turbo(HTP) Magazine, but last year they had a section about a Honda Civic setting the old record at about 183MPH, well, Saturn just beat it using a stock block and head, and using mostly GM Goodwrench Performance Parts for everything else, except the turbo. Crank HP was about 700HP, with 30psi BTW, and the driver claimed that the car had trouble getting traction in the drive wheels through the entire run (meaning there was too much power!!!) This was with the 4T65-E Auto 4-speed by the way, not a manual.

That's about a 30MPH difference, which is HUGE at Bonneville. Take that Honda!!!
--------------------
Anyway, to answer your tranny question, yes, it will be the Getrag 5-speed from a 2002 Ecotec Cavalier. Saddly, the bellhousing is Ecotec only, so no using it with GT V6's, and to my knowledge, the tranny won't work with stock Fiero tranny mounts.

BUT, if this project goes smoothly, and can be done with relatively low cost (under $5,000, which is doable), then I'll make custom tubular engine cradles meant for this conversion. If that goes well, I'll make other kits for Fieros, and also J-bodies, since alot of 95-01 Cavalier owners want Ecotecs so baddly, and 94-earlier owners want 3.8SC motors. I'll also branch into Fiero Quad 4 kits, maybe even 3.8SC conversions, AND, when Hydrogen Fuel Cells come down in price, I'll make an Electric Hydrogen Fuel Cell Fiero kit.

I'm a Navy Aircraft Electronics Technician, and I've had civilian training as well, and if any of you have seen my Engine Sensor Troubleshooting posts, you already know about my Automotive electronics skills, so an electric fuel cell Fiero is easily acheiveable. I'm also keeping up to date on fuel cell developments as they come along, and looking into possible related investments that could help.

My home in PA is also just 15-20 minutes away from one of the largest industrial gas manufacturers in the world, Air Products Inc. A family friend also works for them as well (well, at least I think he still does, I gotta call him), so I have a link to the Hydrogen industry as well.

Just thinking 20 steps ahead, like a chess game.

As much as I love the roar of a 350 SB, it is in fact old technology, and if Fiero's are going to keep up with, or outrun the pack, it's time to move on to better technology.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 01-21-2004).]

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2004 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
Re: using stock head... from what I have heard, the performance engines use a head from the Saab models. Slightly different, presumably stronger. I try to find this info again.

------------------
FierOmar

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, the Saab models come turbo'd from the factory, so to my knowledge, I believe they use the CNC ported GM Goodwrech PP head, which can be bought from paceparts.com, or any GM dealer. $1,350 comes to mind, but I'll have to confirm that.

It explains why Saabs are so expensive. I really like the 9-3 Coupe, but it's so high priced, $28,000 I think for the base model. At that price, I'd rather get my second favorite car (favorite being a Black Notchback Fiero), a late model Trans Am, also painted black. Third favorite, a Pontiac Solstice..... does anyone see a trend with my taste in cars?

Anywho, for the first phase of the conversion, I won't touch the stock motor shown above, except maybe for the cam set just released by GM in November (or October maybe?). P/N 88958648. It's about $450 at www.paceparts.com

When I go for the final phase of the conversion, using that second block and head I got, I'll definitley get that head machined, and get it as good as possible for street/track performance, using as many titanium components as possible.
----------
Thanks for showing interest in this post guys, it's really apreciated. It makes this conversion feel more worthwhile.

Buffalo86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Buffalo86GTSend a Private Message to Buffalo86GTDirect Link to This Post
This has been one of the most interesting threads I've read here in a while, keep up the great work.

On a side note, I think I'd be a little scared of putting a compressed hydrogen fuel tank in a car that has a higher than normal chance of catching on fire.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
LOL, I hear ya, but the newer ways of storing Hydrogen make it safer. The word on the street is that they'll use cryogenically frozen liquid Hydrogen, so it's perfectly safe. It wont be in its gaseous form like the Hindenburg.

And lets all remember something here, gasoline is what is called a hydrocarbon fuel, so in reality, we already have hydrogen in our cars!!! Fuel vapors are no more safer than hydrogen gas.

flomofo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flomofoSend a Private Message to flomofoDirect Link to This Post
wow id like to see what the price is with that tubular cradle since gt owners like me will need the tranny and engine from the donor

maybe i might actually be able to afford this swap when it comes out

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2004 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Like I said, I'll try to keep total costs under $5,000, which compared to other complete engine conversions, is moderately priced.

Expect a complete kit to take at least 2 years. Although, if things go extremely smooth with the first conversion this spring, it may be earlier.

liltobe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 01:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liltobeSend a Private Message to liltobeDirect Link to This Post
Cool thread, How much custom work will it require to put in a fiero? Those turbo's sound pretty sweet making all that power, im interested to see 1/4 mile track times in the future, keep us posted

------------------

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Well like I said, the kit will be a complete kit, so for wiring, exhaust, fuel lines, etc., I'll try to make it as complete as possible. My prediction is that there will be a point where the electrical part can only be made so user friendly. That is the downside to this and the Quad 4, WIRES!!!

Because a major reason for this conversion is to gain a 50/50 weight balance, a battery relocation kit will be used, so as to further ensure that the weight is as equal as possible.
I'll get individual wheel scales to test the weight differences between turbo, non turbo, stock battery location, forward location, etc.
R&D while I build, so I don't have to rip it apart and do it later. Saves time and money for me, which saves for buyers as well.

Now, for the exhaust, it can use the muffler back, but between the engine and the muffler, all custom. For the kit, and the initial installation, I'll use Pi-thon hose and muffler locks (more on the hoses in a sec). It's good, well, great actually for people who don't know how to weld, and these things work WAY better than regular muffler clamps, and look AWESOME! There are spanner wrench versions, like for coil-over strut kits, and there are metric fittings too.

Now, for the hoses, I'll use Samco Silicon hoses, for both the coolant system, and for the pipe joints in the turbo system. I'll also use Pi-thon locks for the coolant and turbo system as well. It will look soooooo sweeeeeet.

Anyway, for hoses, wiring, everything, name something, it will be included, and will be fit for the kit.

But like I said, gotta get the prototype going first. Starts in March.

As for 1/4 mile times, I forsee 14 second area to start, maybe 13. When the bulletproof build is done, about a year after the first phase is done, and I've overcome the intercooler situation, were talking 11, maybe 10 second range.

The first part, stock motor, mild turbo, 200HP street, and about 250HP with alcohol injection (to act as intercooler) on the track, won't require an intercooler. It's when I go for the bulletproof build that I have to worry.

The plan is to basically lay an air to air unit where the stock catalytic converter is, and have an undercar scoop, much like the intercooler with hood scoop on Subaru WRX's. I've seen Buick GN's with a setup similar to the one I want to do, and it seems ok.

The key to an intercooler duct isn't how exposed the cooler is, it's about how much air is going to go through.... um, here, let this explain it.

_________
UUUUUUU Intercooler (top view) / \ Air Duct (top view) ▲ Air
/ \

_________ _________
/UUUUUUU\ Bad Setup - air is not trapped. IUUUUUUUI Good Setup - Air can't escape back out, and goes through the intercooler.
/ \ \ ▲▲▲ /
/ ◄◄ ►► \ \ ▲▲ /
▼ ▲▲▲ ▼ ▲▲▲

Whew, that's is intercooler duct therory 101. 300ZX's apply this quite well. Anywho, trying to get correct airflow is an issue because the intercooler is under the back of the car, not the front, so the aerodynamics are all different.

Like I said, R&D from the bottom of my heart

------------------

PFF
System Bot
fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
Hmm, that didn't turn out right.

Lets try this:

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post

fieroturbo

1085 posts
Member since Jan 2003
Excuse me, I'm about to splooge more info. (barf!)

This is a follow up on my response to Buffalo86GT with the hydrogen fuel cell thingy with the whole Hindenburg and exploding hydrogen BS... I did some more research.

The cause of the spark on the Hindenburg was lightning striking the top of the airship. What initially exploded and caught on fire was the skin, not the gas!!! The skin was made of the 3 elements that form rocket fuel (aluminum was one of them BTW). Yes the hydrogen lit on fire, but that was not what led to the fire engulfing the passengers. Hydrogen flames go up up up. The diesel fuel powering the engines was what caught on fire and leaked into the passenger area.

Also, I found out that Gasoline Vapors are 4 TIMES more explosive than Hydrogen. THIS IS A FACT!!! 100% True. I'll bet you're afraid of your gas tank now, eh?

Also, if Hydrogen leaks, it evaporates immediately. Ever spill liquid CO2? It just dissolves into nothing, VERY quickly. Same deal with hydrogen. It's the lightest gas out there, so it immediately rises.

I could keep going, but the facts are there. Once again, the news media is at fault, AS USUAL (we should ban CNN or something).
----------
Pricing is still up there. Fuel cell units are about $6500-7500 per Kilowatt output. Obviously, the fuel is cheap, since you can make Hydrogen from distilled water.

The hope is, by the time I make several of the Ecotec, Quad 4, and other kits, the price will have come down quite a bit, probabbly by about 2010.

[This message has been edited by fieroturbo (edited 01-23-2004).]

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
eh when did the ecotec engine come out..i think it is from 93? could also be wrong,,

eh fie ro is the ecotec just in astra and vectra

Buffalo86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Buffalo86GTSend a Private Message to Buffalo86GTDirect Link to This Post
Interesting info on the Hindenburg, but there was one key difference between the H in there, and the H in the fuel cells the experts are talking about using to power the "cars of the future". That difference is psi, and a whole lot of it. Most of the stuff I've read recently is talking about 10000 psi to be about the right pressure to give a vehicle similar performance and range to today's autos. 10000 psi of anything, regardless of it's flamability, is going to get very messy in a fire. As far as I know, hydrogen expands when heated just like other gases, which leads me to believe that 10000 psi is going to go up, right up until the point that the tank can no longer hold up, and BOOOOOM. Now you have a rapidly expanding, highly flamable gas being released inside of a car that is already on fire. That should make for quite a show.

I could be completely wrong. I'm a software engineer, not a chemist. Maybe an 11 gallon tank of basically unpressurized gasoline is more of a danger than a 10000 psi tank of hydrogen.

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Also, I found out that Gasoline Vapors are 4 TIMES more explosive than Hydrogen. THIS IS A FACT!!! 100% True. I'll bet you're afraid of your gas tank now, eh?

Hydrogen is explosive when mixed with air in concentrations of 4% to 74%
Less than 4% and it is too lean to burn. More than 74% and it is too rich to burn.

The corresponding numbers for gasoline are about 1.3% and 6%.

I've worked thirty years in the oil refining business. Believe me it is much easier to catch hydrogen on fire.

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2004 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Ecotec:

The ecotec came out in Europe at around that time, but was in smaller displacement sizes, and has been totally reworked since then. There are even 1.3L diesel versions in Opels! If you can understand German, go to opel.de, and check it out.

For another Fiero, like a daily driver or something, I may try to find one of those an use it with an Ecotec conversion, and make a diesel Fiero. I know someone on this forum tried it, or is in the process of making a diesel Fiero, but I forget who.
----------
Fuel Cells:

Yeah, you made a good point there, it will be at high psi, but we're not talking about using weak gasoline tanks for this, we're talking strenghtened steel tanks, much like for nitrous, but bigger, and the tanks go through tedious inspections. Carbon fiber tanks could be an option too, they seem to be great in the nitrous world. Lighter, but just as safe.

Word on the street is, to increase safety, liquid nitrogen will be used to keep the tanks cool, thus lowering psi. Anyone who uses nitrous will know that the cooler the gas is, the less psi, and the higher the temp, the more psi. This goes for tires as well.

As far as those gasoline numbers, doesn't the fact that gasoline vapors ignite at 1.3% make it easier to catch on fire? And I thought the too rich percentage was higher than 6%, like somewhere between 10-15%, but I'm probabbly wrong, I'm nowhere near an expert on the periodic table of elements. Far from it I'm afraid. I'll take your word for it. I can't argue with 30 years

Anyway, some guys are trying to make the amount of hydrogen on vehicles lower, by doing the conversion process onboard of the car (like the fuel cell pickup truck GM made). This could indeed be feaseable, simply using solar panels to power electrolizers could make hydrogen during the day while your car is parked, or small wind powered generators in front of your radiator could make hydrogen while your driving. And when your car is at home, plug it in. All of this would mean being able to have less hydrogen on board, and more water instead. It would make people feel safer, and in the end, it's still lighter than just using batteries, and less of a hassle since they take so long to charge.

I'm curous to know how Deuterium (H2) would work. It's like Hydrogen, but it has an extra neutron (I think), or it may be an extra electron, I can't recall.

Any scientists out there?

fieroturbo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroturboSend a Private Message to fieroturboDirect Link to This Post
Hey, a bit of an update:

Just picked up a $300 set of 4303 Chrome Moly Piston Rods for the Ecotec.

Forged, Shot Peened, Heat Treated.....what could be better?

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
The billet steel crank to go with it
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2004 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
Deutruium is an Isotope of Hydrogen, it has an additional Neutron. Tritium is another isotope of hydrogen that has 2 extra neutrons. I don't remember the properties of them, but I don't believe they're very stabe, the tend to lose those extra neutrons rather easily.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock