Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Trash Can
  The economy, is it good or bad. (Page 41)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 46 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
The economy, is it good or bad. by 84fiero123
Started on: 07-27-2007 10:05 AM
Replies: 1809 (21985 views)
Last post by: Back On Holiday on 11-22-2008 07:23 AM
Phranc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84Bill:

As does your Ad-homenim twisting of a topic in an attempt deflect from the topic because you lack a valid argument.

You are a punk because you cant give it up and just keep trying to make the same invalid argument over and over again. 4 years you have tried this tactic. Any person with an IQ over that of a common average run of the mill house hold pet would know how futile and weak these ad-homenim attacks against me are.

Combine that with the fact that you have displayed this childish immature behavior for no less that 4 years means that you also qualify as a "stalker."

It hasn't been 4 years bill. You can't get anything right can you? What is invalid is the title you have as father. See bill fathers work two jobs if they have to to take care of their kids. My arguments are very valid. They aren't cut and past of links and reports I don't understand. Thats you bill. What is "Ad-homenim twisting of a topic"? Thats not even grammatically correct or possible. Stop using big words you don't understand.

Get a job and paying for your kids yet bill? Or are they still selling things to make ends meet? And I'm stalking you bill? That would imply I follow you and I don't you simply show up and post something retarded and get corrected on it. Then you piss you self in frustration and threaten people or make up words that aren't real and the other stupid sad little things you do while you should be taking care of the needs of your children.

[This message has been edited by Phranc (edited 01-15-2008).]

IP: Logged
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Phranc

7777 posts
Member since Aug 2005

You do realize this is how you enable people Phranc and his minions to get away with this crap dont you?

I'm going to complain because I have a right to complain about the incessant and constant harassment. If you are going to enable then then I am going to state here and now that if you continue doing so you will be identified as one of the harassers.

Good can we complain about you bill? You give it out but can't take it can you. That is a punk. Cry about being harassed just remember that you are the one threatening people bill. You very own actions and posting are all over this thread. And I've started to quote them because you have a habit of going back and editing them to hide what you do. Glass houses bill.
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phranc:
Get a job and paying for your kids yet bill? Or are they still selling things to make ends meet? And I'm stalking you bill? That would imply I follow you and I don't you simply show up and post something retarded and get corrected on it. Then you piss you self in frustration and threaten people or make up words that aren't real and the other stupid sad little things you do while you should be taking care of the needs of your children.

I'm going to ask you to stop this harassment immediately. Your attacks on me serve no purpose what so ever other than to cause me emotional stress which it has been doing for some time now.

What you view as fun has gotten to the point where I am considering legal remedy for your senseless attacks on me...

You can take that any way you want but this is the first step in that process.

STOP NOW.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You do realize this is how you enable people Phranc and his minions to get away with this crap dont you?

I'm going to complain because I have a right to complain about the incessant and constant harassment. If you are going to enable then then I am going to state here and now that if you continue doing so you will be identified as one of the harassers.

If you wish to complain about someone else's behavior, you shouldn't exhibit that same behavior yourself. If anyone is enabling anything it's you. You cry foul when when you think someone's called you a name, and yet you sling the insults just as freely.

Don't be a hypocrite, Bill. If that's the kind of behavior you disapprove of, stop using it yourself and maybe others will take your complaints seriously.
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm going to ask you to stop this harassment immediately. Your attacks on me serve no purpose what so ever other than to cause me emotional stress which it has been doing for some time now.

What you view as fun has gotten to the point where I am considering legal remedy for your senseless attacks on me...

You can take that any way you want but this is the first step in that process.

STOP NOW.

Legal remedy? On what grounds bill? You threatened me. That right there makes it so you will lose. Do you honestly think you have a leg to stand on? Do you think you can afford a case? Do you really think you can sue me for money so you don't have to work? Can you afford a counter suit and charges for terroristic threats over the internet? Think about this bill. You aren't the innocent victim you think you are. I have the threats you made against me archived bill.

[This message has been edited by Phranc (edited 01-15-2008).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright I give up you guys have been arguing for the last page and I have posted my thoughts on the subject yet only one person in this entire page felt that what I said was important, the simple minded pissing match that those of you who don’t even post on the original subject anymore just call each other names.

WTF is wrong with you?
WTF is wrong with you?
WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS?
Are all of you so simple minded that the only thing you are capable of is to call each other names?

Oh here just in case any of you other than Formula feel you should get back on topic.

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Ok Ace, and others who think this is a reason to bicker back and forth just to bicker.

The economy has been going down from the beginning of this thread, granted it is not negative growth but it is going down. It will be negative growth this year and very shortly.

Those who have said the economy is growing, yes you are right, but the problem is that it is less and less everyday and has been all along yet those of you that see this as good don’t want to see that it is going down, down, down.

Billions upon billions of money we don’t have in America to prop up a failing banking system because of stupid investments by those who are supposed to be in the know. They are the educated ones. They should have known better they have an education, RIGHT?

Yet you keep saying I am stupid and don’t know what I am talking about.

You keep saying that we should let all those that are going bankrupt just go under. Well if we are to do that why not let those banks that were stupid enough to allow these loans to be made down under? They were the cause of all this.

Why keep propping them up?
Why because if we do not we will be in a full economic melt down. Depression.

Citi Loses Almost $10B, Slashes Dividend

Email this Story

Jan 15, 11:03 AM (ET)

By MADLEN READ

(AP) The Citibank logo is shown on a branch office in this April 11, 2007 file photo in New York....
Full Image

p {margin:12px 0px 0px 0px;}
NEW YORK (AP) - Citigroup Inc. (#HYPERLINK "http://money.excite.com/jsp/qt/short.jsp?symbol_search_text=C"C) (#HYPERLINK "http://money.excite.com/jsp/qt/short.jsp?symbol_search_text=C"C) lost almost $10 billion in last year's final three months, the largest quarterly deficit in its 196-year history, and slashed its dividend and 4,200 jobs as it recorded a mammoth write-down for bad bets on the mortgage industry.
The nation's largest bank wrote down the value of its portfolio by $18.1 billion and said it was setting aside $4 billion to cover U.S. consumer credit defaults. It signaled further problems in its consumer businesses as deflated home prices, high energy and food costs, and rising unemployment weigh on people's ability to keep up with their payments.

http://apnews.excite.com/ar...80115/D8U6DJQO0.html

Talk amongst yourselves I’m late for my nap.

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't.
Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Legal remedy? On what grounds bill? You threatened me. That right there makes it so you will lose. Do you honestly think you have a leg to stand on? Do you think you can afford a case? Do you really think you can sue me for money so you don't have to work? Can you afford a counter suit and charges for terroristic threats over the internet? Think about this bill. You aren't the innocent victim you think you are. I have the threats you made against me archived bill.

You may want to keep this handy. It's a filed complaint Phranc.. The State of Florida will take the case up if I present sufficient evidence to prove that you are and have continued to harass me. Even if they chose not to at the moment, the complaint having been filed will show that you have continued to harass me at which time the evidence may be sufficient enough to warrant further investigation and possible prosecution.

Title XLVI, Chapter 784784.048 Stalking; definitions; penalties.--

(1) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Harass" means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.

(b) "Course of conduct" means a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of "course of conduct." Such constitutionally protected activity includes picketing or other organized protests.

(c) "Credible threat" means a threat made with the intent to cause the person who is the target of the threat to reasonably fear for his or her safety. The threat must be against the life of, or a threat to cause bodily injury to, a person.

(d) "Cyberstalk" means to engage in a course of conduct to communicate, or to cause to be communicated, words, images, or language by or through the use of electronic mail or electronic communication, directed at a specific person, causing substantial emotional distress to that person and serving no legitimate purpose.

(2) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of stalking, a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(3) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person, and makes a credible threat with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or bodily injury of the person, or the person's child, sibling, spouse, parent, or dependent, commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(4) Any person who, after an injunction for protection against repeat violence, sexual violence, or dating violence pursuant to s. 784.046, or an injunction for protection against domestic violence pursuant to s. 741.30, or after any other court-imposed prohibition of conduct toward the subject person or that person's property, knowingly, willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(5) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks a minor under 16 years of age commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(6) Any law enforcement officer may arrest, without a warrant, any person he or she has probable cause to believe has violated the provisions of this section.

(7) Any person who, after having been sentenced for a violation of s. 794.011 or s. 800.04, and prohibited from contacting the victim of the offense under s. 921.244, willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks the victim commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(8) The punishment imposed under this section shall run consecutive to any former sentence imposed for a conviction for any offense under s. 794.011 or s. 800.04.

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 01-15-2008).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001
I'm not kidding Phranc. Stop the harassment.
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You may want to keep this handy. It's a filed complaint Phranc.. The State of Florida will take the case up if I present sufficient evidence to prove that you are and have continued to harass me. Even if they chose not to at the moment the case having been filed will show that you have continued to harass me at which time the evidence may be sufficient enough to warrant further investigation.

Title XLVI, Chapter 784784.048 Stalking; definitions; penalties.--

(1) As used in this section, the term:

(a) "Harass" means to engage in a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such person and serves no legitimate purpose.

(b) "Course of conduct" means a pattern of conduct composed of a series of acts over a period of time, however short, evidencing a continuity of purpose. Constitutionally protected activity is not included within the meaning of "course of conduct." Such constitutionally protected activity includes picketing or other organized protests.

(c) "Credible threat" means a threat made with the intent to cause the person who is the target of the threat to reasonably fear for his or her safety. The threat must be against the life of, or a threat to cause bodily injury to, a person.

(d) "Cyberstalk" means to engage in a course of conduct to communicate, or to cause to be communicated, words, images, or language by or through the use of electronic mail or electronic communication, directed at a specific person, causing substantial emotional distress to that person and serving no legitimate purpose.

(2) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of stalking, a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

(3) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person, and makes a credible threat with the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or bodily injury of the person, or the person's child, sibling, spouse, parent, or dependent, commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(4) Any person who, after an injunction for protection against repeat violence, sexual violence, or dating violence pursuant to s. 784.046, or an injunction for protection against domestic violence pursuant to s. 741.30, or after any other court-imposed prohibition of conduct toward the subject person or that person's property, knowingly, willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks another person commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(5) Any person who willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks a minor under 16 years of age commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(6) Any law enforcement officer may arrest, without a warrant, any person he or she has probable cause to believe has violated the provisions of this section.

(7) Any person who, after having been sentenced for a violation of s. 794.011 or s. 800.04, and prohibited from contacting the victim of the offense under s. 921.244, willfully, maliciously, and repeatedly follows, harasses, or cyberstalks the victim commits the offense of aggravated stalking, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(8) The punishment imposed under this section shall run consecutive to any former sentence imposed for a conviction for any offense under s. 794.011 or s. 800.04.

LOL keep it handy for your self bill. You do the exact same thing. And added to that you threatened me. Don't be stupid bill. You can't win.

But since this is a economics thread. Will your lawyer be pro bono? How will that spur the economy?

Bill I am a small business owner that works with the federal government as a contractor. I have a lawyer on retainer. Not only do you lose on principle but you lose because I can outspend you to make you go away. That is after a counter suit. Can you afford that bill?
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LOL keep it handy for your self bill. You do the exact same thing. And added to that you threatened me. Don't be stupid bill. You can't win.

But since this is a economics thread. Will your lawyer be pro bono? How will that spur the economy?

Bill I am a small business owner that works with the federal government as a contractor. I have a lawyer on retainer. Not only do you lose on principle but you lose because I can outspend you to make you go away. That is after a counter suit. Can you afford that bill?

Like I said, Stop harassing me.
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like I said, Stop harassing me.

That wasn't harassment bill. You threatened legal action and I responded with how you don't have a chance. You posted a law to which I replied how you are just as guilty if not more so for threatening me. If any thing you're harassing me. Maybe you should stop bill since you are way out of your league and over your head.
PFF
System Bot
Red88FF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red88FFSend a Private Message to Red88FFEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The economy has been going down from the beginning of this thread, granted it is not negative growth but it is going down. It will be negative growth this year and very shortly.

Those who have said the economy is growing, yes you are right, but the problem is that it is less and less everyday and has been all along yet those of you that see this as good don’t want to see that it is going down, down, down.

Ahh, Steve, I knew you could see it! it is growth! maybe as you say not as good as it could be but growth none the less. For now anyways, I will give you that.
I think that what it really boils down to is the ole is it half full or half empty question. Maybe no right answer but a goood look into ones thought process.

Now if you would enlighten Mr. Bill what growth is and save us another few pages of crap.

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next Job growth indicator will be released Feb 1.

IndyMac cutting work force: 'Painful' 24%
The mortgage lender will lay off about 2,403 employees, on top of the 1,600 who 'voluntarily' resigned in 2007, as it tries to cope with lower home loan demand.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mortgage lender IndyMac Bancorp said Tuesday it will slash its work force by 24 percent, laying off 2,403 employees in a bid to cut costs as it tries to weather the worsening housing slump and sagging demand for home loans.

The job cuts include a significant reduction in temporary vendor staffs, mainly in India, the Pasadena-based company said.

"This action is clearly painful, but it is necessary in our drive to return IndyMac to profitability soon," Mike Perry, IndyMac's (IMB) chief executive, said in a memo outlining the layoffs to employees.

The latest round of layoffs follows a reduction of about 1,600 workers last year through voluntary resignation. The company ended 2007 with a work force of 9,938.

The lender said the job cuts were necessary because the company still faces a lack of demand for home loans on the secondary market and tighter access to capital due to the credit crunch that followed the collapse of the subprime mortgage market in August.
Wall Street to Fed: Cut rates now!

Perry noted the company has "a significant capital cushion and strong liquidity" but needs to keep costs down because it has been unable to sell its prime jumbo home loans on the secondary market and must keep them on its balance sheet
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Inflation & Industrial production reports (indicators) due out tomorrow.

Wholesale inflation hike largest in 26 years
Labor Department says soaring energy costs, from gasoline to home heating oil, responsible for 6.3% increase last year.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Wholesale inflation shot up in 2007 by the largest amount in 26 years even though falling gasoline costs allowed price pressures to moderate in December.

The Labor Department reported that wholesale inflation was up 6.3 percent for all of 2007, reflecting a huge increase for the year in various types of energy costs ranging from gasoline to home heating oil.

The year ended on a more positive note, with wholesale prices falling by 0.1 percent in December. That reflected decreasing costs at the time for gasoline and other energy products. It was a significant slowdown after prices had soared by 3.2 percent in November, which had been the biggest one-month increase in 34 years.

Meanwhile, the Commerce Department reported that retail sales fell by 0.4 percent in December. It was a worse-than-expected decline and increased worries that the country could topple into a recession.

The combination of rising inflation pressures and a weak economy represent a dilemma for the Federal Reserve over whether to cut rates to boost economic growth even at the risk of making inflation worse.

But last week, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke sent a strong signal that the Fed is more worried at the moment about weak growth than inflation -- given a series of weaker-than-expected data in recent weeks.

The economy skidded to a virtual standstill in the final three months of last year, raising fears the country could fall into a recession, unable to withstand the multiple blows from a prolonged downturn in housing, a severe credit crisis and soaring energy costs.

Already, unemployment is rising. The jobless rate jumped to 5 percent in December, up from 4.7 percent in November. That was the biggest one-month surge in unemployment since October 2001 in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks.

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Todays market response was a result of 2 things.
1. The Retail Sales Indicator.
2. Citigroups multi billion dollar writedown.

DOW, 12,501.11 -277.04 / -2.17%
NAS, 2,417.59 -60.71 / -2.45%
S&P, 1,380.95 -35.30 / -2.49%

December 28, 2006 Dow 12,500 closes at 12,500 for the first time ever.

Fears grow as consumers pull back further

New figures show that holiday retail sales were worse than many expected.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A new round of economic data released Tuesday show that holiday sales were even worse than many experts had expected - adding to fears that 2008 could be an even more challenging year for retailers.

Sales in November and December rose only 3 percent - softer than its initial forecast of a 4 percent increase, the National Retail Federation (NRF) announced.

By comparison, holiday sales in 2006 rose 4.6 percent over the previous year.

Holiday sales figures are closely watched by economists: The two months account for as much as 50 percent of retailers' annual profits and sales, and consumer spending drives two-thirds of the nation's economy.

The 3 percent increase would also be the slowest pace of growth since 2002, when holiday sales rose just 1.3 percent, according to the NRF.

On Tuesday, the U.S. Commerce Department said total sales fell 0.4 percent in December after gaining 1 percent in November. The drop signals that many Americans, struggling with the housing downturn, higher gas prices and tighter credit conditions, curtailed their spending.

The monthly decline - weaker than forecast - was the biggest since June, when sales fell 0.8 percent. Economists surveyed by Briefing.com had expected retail sales to remain unchanged for the month. November sales, which were revised on Tuesday, were originally reported to have risen 1.2 percent.

Stripping out volatile auto sales, retail sales also fell a weaker-than-expected 0.4 percent versus a revised gain of 1.7 percent in November. November sales were originally reported to have increased 1.8 percent.

Economists, on average, had forecast a monthly decline of 0.1 percent - minus auto purchases.

The weak holiday sales figures are likely to fan fears about recession.

"I don't think this report alone can make the point that we're in full-blown recession," said Michael Niemira, chief economist with the International Council of Shopping Centers. "Certainly the economy is on that slippery slope. When you end the year weak and start the year weak, the concern is that we may not be able to get off that slope."

Adding to that fear, the NRF said Monday that it expects retail sales to grow 3.5 percent in 2008 - the weakest pace of growth in six years.

"Consumers will be under financial stress from high energy costs, the fallout from the housing slump, and sluggish employment and income growth," said Rosalind Wells, NRF chief economist.

"Shoppers will seek to pay down debt, spend more in line with income growth, and approach discretionary purchases with more restraint," she said.

The government report showed that the worst performers were clothing stores, which registered a 2 percent sales decline last month, and electronics sales, which fell 1.9 percent. Sales at department stores fell 0.4 percent.

Elsewhere, sales at gasoline stations fell 1.7 percent and building materials sales plunged 2.9 percent.

However, sellers of food and beverages logged a 0.7 percent increase and furniture stores also escaped the broad downturn to post a 0.6 percent sales gain last month

Citigroup's $10 billion loss is worst ever
Writedown: $18.1 billion. Dividend cut: 41%. Job cuts: In the works. Chief Executive Vikram Pandit says financial giant's performance was 'unacceptable.'

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Citigroup Inc. stunned Wall Street Tuesday by reporting that it had suffered a $10 billion quarterly loss - the worst ever in its storied history.

The financial giant also announced a writedown of $18.1 billion related to soured mortgage investments and major cost-cutting initiatives that included a 41 percent cut to its dividend and plans to reduce in its payroll. At the same time, it said it was receiving a $12.5 billion infusion from investors in Kuwait, Singapore and the state of New Jersey.

Wall Street was disappointed by the news as Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) shares tumbled 7 percent in afternoon trade on the New York Stock Exchange.

The company recorded an eye-popping net loss of $9.83 billion, or $1.99 a share, in the fourth quarter - the worst quarterly loss ever recorded in the 196-year-history of the firm and its predecessors.

It also marked the first quarterly loss since Citicorp and Travelers Group merged to form Citigroup in 1998. Only a year ago, Citigroup reported a profit of $5.13 billion, or $1.03 per share.

Citi's top line took a big hit. The company reported revenue of $7.2 billion for the quarter, down 70 percent from $23.8 billion a year earlier.

The results were much worse than forecast. Analysts had expected the company to report a loss of $1 a share on revenue of $10.64 billion, according to analysts surveyed by earnings tracker Thomson Financial.

"It's very clear that Citigroup's fourth-quarter results are unacceptable," Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit said in a conference call Tuesday morning.

Pandit, who arrived in office a little over a month ago, blamed the company's grim results on subprime exposure in the company's fixed-income business, a surge in credit costs in its U.S. consumer loan portfolio and the staggering $18.1 billion writedown on its subprime-related exposure.

In November, when Citigroup announced the departure of former CEO Charles Prince, the company warned that it could writedown as much as $11 billion. Recent reports had estimated that Citi could writedown as much as $24 billion during the quarter.

Also hit hard was the company's consumer loan portfolio, which suffered a separate $4.1 billion hit due to higher credit costs.

The news also prompted Standard & Poor's to cut its rating on Citigroup's credit Tuesday, lowering it to "AA-" from "AA".

Citigroup also warned of tough credit conditions going forward, particularly at the consumer level, which could worsen especially if the economy tips into a recession.

Citigroup's Chief Financial Officer Gary Crittenden noted that while the company will face tough comparisons from a year ago when it reports first and second quarter results of 2008, key segments of the company including its global wealth management and international business should continue to generate strong results.
Big changes

Citi also announced Tuesday that it would reduce its quarterly dividend to 32 cents from 54 cents a share, making it the latest financial institution to reduce its dividend payout.

While cutting the dividend hits shareholders directly, the move is expected to save the company more than $4 billion annually.

Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bill did some more cut and pastes..

blah blah.. we're all screwed.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Uaana:

Bill did some more cut and pastes..

Is that ALL you can say?

blah blah.. we're all screwed.

I did NOT say that.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did NOT say that.

Just assuming from previous posts.. don't feel like wading through another bill post on how everything sucks.
Phranc

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhrancSend a Private Message to PhrancEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just assuming from previous posts.. don't feel like wading through another bill post on how everything sucks.

Well you weren't wrong. Its more doom and gloom.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bill, you've posted a lot of news stories, but we can all read the news. Is there something about the state of the economy you wish to say? Well, how about saying it in your own words?
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did NOT say that.

Ahh the citi group news.. glad to see you were right on top of that.. sorry the investors/analysts covered that already.

Like others have said.. do you have anything to contribute or are you just going to continue to paste doom and gloom messages?

If so.. if we send you some mac n cheese and a few boxes of hamburger helper will you stay out of topics that you have no idea about?
PFF
System Bot
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ahh the citi group news.. glad to see you were right on top of that.. sorry the investors/analysts covered that already.

Like others have said.. do you have anything to contribute or are you just going to continue to paste doom and gloom messages?

If so.. if we send you some mac n cheese and a few boxes of hamburger helper will you stay out of topics that you have no idea about?

I got 10 boxes of KRAFT Mac n' Cheese that I can send out TONIGHT. $5 well spent. (Sorry, Bill. I drank both boxes of CapriSun that were free after purchase of 5 boxes of mac n' cheese )
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just assuming from previous posts..

How appropriate of you to assume.

don't feel like wading through another bill post on how everything sucks.

What post was it that I said everything sucks?

What have you contributed to this thread other that 4 pages of "WAAAAahhh 84Bill blaaah blahh..
On second thought, never mind Uaanus. You're a fuking mental midget thread trasher.

Originally posted by Formula88:

Bill, you've posted a lot of news stories, but we can all read the news.

Okay.. so read them then.

Is there something about the state of the economy you wish to say? Well, how about saying it in your own words?

Sure, I'd be happy to discuss the topic.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You win bill.

Not worth the hassle. Please continue with the US sucks / Economy sucks / VA sucks comments.
Just don't have the time or patience to rebut all your silly comments posts.. So you win.. We're all gonna die
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's what I expected. If people don't post what you like, you complain about being harassed. If you're asked a direct question, you side step it.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You win bill.

Win what?!?
What the effing hell is your problem?

Not worth the hassle. Please continue with the US sucks / Economy sucks / VA sucks comments.
Just don't have the time or patience to rebut all your silly comments posts.. So you win.. We're all gonna die

Get some freaking help before you blow a gasket Uaana. I dont know how you came up with all that bullshit but hey if you cant discuss a topic like a civilized individual then good riddance to ya. Dont let the topic door hit that pouting ass on the way out.

Heres a post from TWO pages ago where I attempted to discuss the topic in an intelligent manner with you Uaana and all I got in reply was 2 pages of complete and utter ad-hominem bullshit.

[This message has been edited by 84Bill (edited 01-16-2008).]

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2008 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001

That's what I expected. If people don't post what you like, you complain about being harassed. If you're asked a direct question, you side step it.

Lame... very lame...

I didnt side step anything, what do you want to dicuss?

How about the two reports due out tomorrow? Want to discuss that?
aceman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 203
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for acemanSend a Private Message to acemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need an address so I can mail out this mac n' cheese!
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What a bunch of arrogant twits. Look ether discuss the subject in an intelligent manner or don’t discuss it at all.

Originally posted by aceman:
I need an address so I can mail out this mac n' cheese!

------------------

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What a bunch of arrogant twits. Look ether discuss the subject in an intelligent manner or don’t discuss it at all.

What do you expect from children?

Looks like JPMorgan has a gift to give to the market today along with the two leading indicator reports... I'm sure the rose colored club will just call it hysteria that should be ignored because the economic future is so bright.

84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

84Bill

21085 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Inflation pressures ease
Reading on consumer prices show slower increases in overall and core prices than in November, and are close to forecasts.

Misleading...
If I remember correctly in December the retail sector slashed prices and offered discounts to get people into the stores. According to the leading indicator released yesterday on retail sales they lost big on profits.
PFF
System Bot
cliffw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm sure the rose colored club will just call it hysteria that should be ignored because the economic future is so bright.

As I am sure that those with no light on upstairs will see it different. There is no monopoly on hysteria from either side Bill.
Who cares about the condition of the economy ? This thread is about like is it cold outside or is it warm? It is what it is.
For those that think it is bad, what is the fix ? Yesterday, I got an unsolicited credit offer for $7500.00, pre-approved, at 0% interest for one year. Spending it would help the economy but not my economy. What to do, what to do ?
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:
As I am sure that those with no light on upstairs will see it different. There is no monopoly on hysteria from either side Bill.

I tend to agree with that but the bottom line is the economy has been rounding the bend for months yet those who have foresight are being labeled "doom and gloom sayers" as if that will somehow make what we see go away.

Who cares about the condition of the economy ? This thread is about like is it cold outside or is it warm?

Well, as you yourself have seen those who say it's warm outside aren't the ones being left out in the cold. It's those massive numbers of people that the rose club maintains "its their fault for borrowing too much" that fails to understand that it has a great impact on the economy. It causes a worsening of the situation to the point of involving those who did act responsibly.

It is what it is.

For those that think it is bad, what is the fix ? Yesterday, I got an unsolicited credit offer for $7500.00, pre-approved, at 0% interest for one year. Spending it would help the economy but not my economy. What to do, what to do ?

Naturally. What it is is an economy circling the drain. Sure it has happened in the past but in the past people had better credit than they do now so their financial horsepower and willingness to go asshull deep into debt (which is where they are now) dragged the economy out of the hole while they went into it. Are you going to take that credit card? Are you willing to add another 7 grand to your overall debt? Everyone I talk to isnt interested in the 26% interest rate and is already 10k in debt or more to credit cards alone!

So where is the money going to be coming from?

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lame... very lame...

I didnt side step anything, what do you want to dicuss?

How about the two reports due out tomorrow? Want to discuss that?

I asked a very straight forward question. If you had read my post you would know that. If you actually wanted a discussion, you would have taken the opportunity.

You chose to avoid answering a simple question and decided to play games. You've made your usefulness in this thread clear.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I asked a very straight forward question. If you had read my post you would know that. If you actually wanted a discussion, you would have taken the opportunity.

You chose to avoid answering a simple question and decided to play games. You've made your usefulness in this thread clear.

I have noting to discuss nor do I possess the desire to discuss anything with you.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Again I say the problem is that those in the know, those with all that education, the stock broker, bankers that made all those loans to all those people who are going bankrupt right now.

They should have known that this was going to happen, I mean they are the smart ones right?

They have all the education in their respective fields.

So again I say it. the real problem was created by those with the power, money, education and they are not the ones getting hurt. The ones getting hurt are those who took their educated advise to BUY, BUY, BUY, BUY.

http://money.excite.com/jsp...ews_id=ap-d8u716ko0&

Inflation Jumps in 2007

Wednesday January 16, 9:20 AM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — Higher costs for energy and food last year pushed inflation up by the largest amount in 17 years, even though prices generally remained tame outside of those two areas. Meanwhile, industrial output was flat in December, more evidence of a significant slowdown in the economy.
Consumer prices rose by 4.1 percent for all of 2007, up sharply from a 2.5 percent increase in 2006, the Labor Department said Wednesday. Consumers felt the pain when they filled up their gas tanks or shopped for groceries. Prices for both energy and food shot up by the largest amount since 1990.

http://money.excite.com/jsp...ews_id=ap-d8u70lq00&

JPMorgan 4Q Profit Falls 34 Percent

Wednesday January 16, 8:44 AM EST

NEW YORK (AP) — JPMorgan Chase & Co. said Wednesday its fourth-quarter profit fell 34 percent after its exposure to subprime mortgages — though much smaller than at banking peers like Citigroup Inc. — devalued its portfolio by $1.3 billion.
CEO Jamie Dimon also attributed the profit decline at the nation's third-largest bank by market capitalization to worse-than-expected results in home equity loans.

http://money.excite.com/jsp...ews_id=ap-d8u70hu80&

Wells Fargo 4Q Profit Drops 38 Percent

Wednesday January 16, 8:36 AM EST

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Wells Fargo Inc., one of the nation's largest banks, said Wednesday fourth-quarter earnings fell 38 percent, hurt by a charge to cover fallout from the subprime loan crisis.
Net income fell to $1.36 billion, or 41 cents per share, in the October-December period from $2.18 billion, or 64 cents per share, a year ago. The latest quarter included $1.4 billion in losses on home equity loans in the fourth quarter, as borrowers in California and the Midwest struggle to make mortgage payments as many rates reset higher.

------------------

cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you going to take that credit card? Are you willing to add another 7 grand to your overall debt?
So where is the money going to be coming from?

I asked the wife, she said no, . I did good, . She was the one massively in debt when we married. I just had expenses. If half of the money which goes towards interest were spent within the general economy, that would be a fix of where the money is gonna come from. That is turn over money which stimulates like tax cuts. Not money for some rich fat cat to sit on and enslave people.
It used to be a noble thing to give man credit. Now it is a business designed to make money. You always talk about giving away a dollar. Bad thinking my friend (even though you did block my PMs, ) You are blocking the economy. The economy works by people producing. I did not have a chance to respond to buddycraigg's thread where he was panhandled. C'mon, they could have made twice as much money had they split up. That was plain out begging. With a crappy attitude.
I have not participated in this thread much. As mentioned, the money comes from production. That $7,500.00 credit limit that I am not taking is gonna get spent anyways. I will just get more for my monies and give more to those that need it. A win win situation.
84Bill

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again I say the problem is that those in the know, those with all that education, the stock broker, bankers that made all those loans to all those people who are going bankrupt right now.

They should have known that this was going to happen, I mean they are the smart ones right?

They have all the education in their respective fields.

So again I say it. the real problem was created by those with the power, money, education and they are not the ones getting hurt. The ones getting hurt are those who took their educated advise to BUY, BUY, BUY, BUY.

One thing our educational system appears to lack is the teaching of empathy. Doctors who lack empathy make bad diagnosis's, Lawyers who lack empathy make "deals" based on making a quick buck so they can close the case and work the next victim, Brokers and CEO's who lack empathy rape people and companies of their wealth and transfer it to their own pockets.

All the individuals above will measure success by looking at what they have in their pockets instead of the quality of the services or decisions they make which leave people feeling better and happier with their well spent money.
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Are you willing to add another 7 grand to your overall debt?

Depends. I am happy with what I got. I could afford to. I have no debt other than piddly squat save my home (which is really an investment which can be recouped).
cliffw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cliffw

35923 posts
Member since Jun 2003

One thing our educational system appears to lack is the teaching of empathy.

The government should not be involved with the settings of morality. I heard that from you.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 46 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock