Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  There is a God and he has delivered me... (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
There is a God and he has delivered me... by dennis_6
Started on: 05-12-2015 11:53 PM
Replies: 244 (3476 views)
Last post by: Patrick's Dad on 05-23-2015 12:50 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

It's just all part of God's plan for you. Have faith in him.

I would not expect ANYONE to take my personal pain and make a public joke out it while at the same time insulting my faith beliefs. You of all people who I have prayed for and wished well and wanted good things for despite our differences and arguments have proven me wrong again. You have no shame and no consideration of others. You are a mean spirited person and saying that this is a "public forum and all comments should be expected" doesn't cut it. Many people come here in need of support from their car forum buddies. I guess anyone who claims to have a faith system isn't valuable enough here to receive any such respect. You are the personification of the very reason why more Christians don't act more "Christian". There was not ONE shred of a reason for ANYONE to post negative things about the OP's faith or anyone else's but yet here come all the same old comments. They just HAD to be stated again, right? I mean, how long has it been since they were last posted? Surely, there have to be some Christians out there that have not been insulted by you so time's-a-wastin'!! I believe I have requested before and I'll do it again, please do not quote me, PM me, or direct any post toward me. Do I expect you to honor this request? Of course not. You are not an honorable person. That is the reason I do not wish to be involved in any discussions with you. You disgust me. And ditto for Yellowstone.

IP: Logged
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-19-2015 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

Right, but it's based on you and what you feel is best. So is it wrong for you to have no morals if you don't think you need them? ...

Christians are one of the biggest deterrents for becoming a christian, ...

It really is not so much dependent upon feelings, but learned experience. I have witnessed spousal abuse, and I morally know it to be ****ed up. To try and answer your question, it is always wrong to disallow morals. Morals is a definable word, but an undefinable outcome. Interpretation is our only defense.

I sadly concur. Extremism in anything is a deterrent.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

He's pretty arbitrary, your God.

the god thing is pure BS and actually extremely self-centered IMO ("I'm so damn important that the creator of the universe will personally intervene in my legal case"). If I were pious, I'd probably think that was blasphemy...!

Worthlessness is taught by a secular society who then wonders why there are so many suicides and murders. A society that at the same time tells you its all about you. Self centeredness could also be seen as disregard for others, and others opinions.

-

The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.
Psalm 145:18

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Will be praying for your families.

Thank you.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dennis_6

7196 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Originally posted by Formula88:

Again, I'm very happy things worked out for you. It doesn't fix what was missed but I hope it's the beginning of better times for you and your family. Having friends who've dealt with family court, I can appreciate how arbitrary it feels. It sometimes seems like it's designed to cause the most disruption and harm rather than prevent it.

Thank you.
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... (Jonesy may be feeling somewhat sorry for dennis on an intellectual level, I suspect, as do I).

..... What did everyone expect? A chorus of "Hallelujah"?

No "chorus" expected or even asked for that I am aware of, but perhaps just simple *respect* and *tolerance* for another man's personal beliefs.

You couldn't even do that could you?

You had to add an insult to his intelligence on top of it.

What is it inside you that motivates you to lash out at people who express their faith ?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Somehow Atheists think they know everything and they have the moral high ground. However, without god there are no morals and all you have to serve is yourself. You live under man's law and your own which means you're capable of anything you can get away with or think you can get away with as long as it pleases you, because it's all about you. The only thing that keeps Atheists in check is their false sense of morals that are based off nothing.

IMO, this is the type of empty rhetoric that ticks off non-believers and inspires them to comment in religious-themed threads. Hence my current presence here.

Do you not honor your family? Do you not respect your friends? Do you not value your community? Do you not act in a manner that brings pride to your family and friends and community?

I do.

Be aware that you and your personal religious convictions do not hold any moral high ground over me.

And just to be clear, I'm definitely not suggesting that all religious people are hypocrites... but the biggest hypocrites I've ever met have definitely been religious.
jmbishop

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Do you not honor your family? Do you not respect your friends? Do you not value your community? Do you not act in a manner that brings pride to your family and friends and community?

It stuck a nerve because it's true, any morals you have came from nothing, you have empathy and other feelings and that's all your guided by. It's not meant to be offensive, just true.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It stuck a nerve because it's true, any morals you have came from nothing, you have empathy and other feelings and that's all your guided by. It's not meant to be offensive, just true.

Oh baloney. It's delusional talk like this that turns thinking people off.

[EDIT] Pray tell, where do your morals come from? A book? I'd rather have my morals guided by empathy than by something I've been instructed to follow.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-19-2015).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Topic: Hermes is real and he has saved me today...

So I was braving the terrible Miami traffic, full of little underinsured ladies in big SUVs who eat, text or put makeup on (or all at the same time) while driving. I came to a stop in the middle of the intersection because of slow traffic and saw a humongous truck bearing down on me from the driver's side. The driver of the truck had run a red light and I could see that she was looking down on her cell phone! I was prepared to meet Zeus shortly! But, suddenly, I felt a presence and the truck came to a screeching halt inches from my window! When the little lady climbed out of her truck, visibly shaken, she said that something made her look up and hit the brakes at the last second! I just know that Hermes, the ancient God of travelers, has come down from mount Olympus and saved me today! Thank you, Hermes!

Question: does anyone believe in Hermes now?

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 05-19-2015).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

where do your morals come from? A book? I'd rather have my morals guided by empathy than by something I've been instructed to follow.

This
PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by randye:

No "chorus" expected or even asked for that I am aware of, but perhaps just simple *respect* and *tolerance* for another man's personal beliefs.

You couldn't even do that could you?

You had to add an insult to his intelligence on top of it.

What is it inside you that motivates you to lash out at people who express their faith ?

I said that I was happy for him and his improved situation. And I do have an intellectual problem with belief in supernatural entities of any kind.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd rather have my morals guided by empathy than by something I've been instructed to follow.

I realized after I posted that I could've/should've stated the following...

I'd rather have everyone's morals guided by empathy than by something they've been instructed to follow.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... the truck came to a screeching halt inches from my window!

Pity.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-20-2015).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd rather have everyone's morals guided by empathy than by something they've been instructed to follow.

How very Kantian of you! :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...tegorical_imperative

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[EDIT] Pray tell, where do your morals come from? A book? I'd rather have my morals guided by empathy than by something I've been instructed to follow.

And why do you find that offensive if you confirmed it's true? Why did talking about the root of your morals offend you? You don't have to read the book, or follow the laws in the book so why do you have a problem if I or anyone else on this forum does?
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I usually refrain from commenting on religious topics these days. I think that the point being made by the non religious people here is that the religious people don't need to keep proclaiming their religion. I'm an agnostic but I don't feel any need to proclaim my belief or lack of belief. Most of the disclaimers here have expressed their pleasure in your outcome. Me too. It does get annoying when the religious people keep posting their beliefs. I don't need to hear it. Congratulations on your outcome.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I usually refrain from commenting on religious topics these days. I think that the point being made by the non religious people here is that the religious people don't need to keep proclaiming their religion. I'm an agnostic but I don't feel any need to proclaim my belief or lack of belief. Most of the disclaimers here have expressed their pleasure in your outcome. Me too. It does get annoying when the religious people keep posting their beliefs. I don't need to hear it. Congratulations on your outcome.

You and the other religion haters should have kept refraining and let him enjoy his good news, but that was too much to ask.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 05-19-2015).]

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You and the other religion haters should have kept refraining and let him enjoy his good news, but that was too much to ask.

I'm not a religious hater and I can appreciate his good news. I have many friends who are religious and I myself was 'saved' and baptised. I could go on about why my faith changed but there is no need for me to do that. It would be just as annoying as those who need to shout their beliefs from the mountain tops. I believe that anyones beliefs are very personal and should not be pressed on those who don't share their beliefs
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not a religious hater and I can appreciate his good news. I have many friends who are religious and I myself was 'saved' and baptised. I could go on about why my faith changed but there is no need for me to do that. It would be just as annoying as those who need to shout their beliefs from the mountain tops. I believe that anyones beliefs are very personal and should not be pressed on those who don't share their beliefs

Was dennis "pressing" his beliefs on you with this thread?
Has he posted in your threads about his religion?
PFF
System Bot
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Was dennis "pressing" his beliefs on you with this thread?
Has he posted in your threads about his religion?

I am really curious about how I would feel about you if we met in person without the need to argue. Many of my friends have entirely different politics and religions from mine. I don't recall any conversation on here that we agreed on. I might like you. I might not, but it wouldn't be based on your beliefs.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How odd to call oneself a "moderate" and yet claim to be *annoyed* at the mere public mention of religious beliefs.......how odd indeed.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

13867 posts
Member since Mar 2006

I realized after I posted that I could've/should've stated the following...

Where does your empathy come from?
dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How odd to call oneself a "moderate" and yet claim to be *annoyed* at the mere public mention of religious beliefs.......how odd indeed.

I didn't see any need to proclaim his faith. I don't feel any need to proclaim my agnostism. I would suspect that if I went around posting my agnostic beliefs it would be 'annoying to many of the religious people here. I have no need to start a thread doing that. Glad he had a good outcome.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I didn't see any need to proclaim his faith. I don't feel any need to proclaim my agnostism. I would suspect that if I went around posting my agnostic beliefs it would be 'annoying to many of the religious people here. I have no need to start a thread doing that. Glad he had a good outcome.

So you are saying that you are *annoyed* by any public proclamation of faith and therefore your preferred solution to that predicament is to prohibit any such speech?

Once again, that is a very odd position to take as a self proclaimed "moderate".

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-19-2015).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you are saying that you are *annoyed* by any public proclamation of faith and therefore your preferred solution to that predicament is to prohibit any such speech?

Once again, that is a very odd position to take as a self proclaimed "moderate".

Well you are welcome to your opinion. I won't force mine on you.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... therefore your preferred solution to that predicament is to prohibit any such speech?

That wouldn't be right, of course. Only, if such beliefs are professed publicly (just look at the thread title, it doesn't even mention what happened but mentions God) then he who does that has to live with all kind of responses.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well you are welcome to your opinion. I won't force mine on you.

Thank You. I appreciate the sentiment, but following your logic thus far, I'm afraid that while you "welcome me to *have* my own opinion", (and presumably my own faith), were it in your power, you would prohibit me from publically expressing either of them if they *annoy* you?

Perhaps you don't believe that "religious speech" is just as protected under the 1rst Amendment as any other type of speech?

dratts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank You. I appreciate the sentiment, but following your logic thus far, I'm afraid that while you "welcome me to *have* my own opinion", (and presumably my own faith), were it in your power, you would prohibit me from publically expressing either of them if they *annoy* you?

Perhaps you don't believe that "religious speech" is just as protected under the 1rst Amendment as any other type of speech?

I wouldn't prohibit you. I also won't subject you to my beliefs.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That wouldn't be right, of course. Only, if such beliefs are professed publicly (just look at the thread title, it doesn't even mention what happened but mentions God) then he who does that has to live with all kind of responses.

So by your logic you then had a "license" to ridicule another man for his stated beliefs?
Why couldn't you simply just believe otherwise and remain silent and tolerant?
What is it inside you that makes you want to lash out like that against people who profess their religious faith?

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-19-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

randye

13867 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Wow...Not content with only complaining about the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution, I see that you're now going after the 1rst Amendment as well?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow...Not content with only complaining about the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution, I see that you're now going after the 1rst Amendment as well?

You haven't read or understood my post. Try again.

What I said what that IF he posts his opinion in public (which is perfectly fine) he may get all kinds of responses. 1st Amendment for everyone!

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

So by your logic you then had a "license" to ridicule another man for his stated beliefs?
Why couldn't you simply just believe otherwise and remain silent and tolerant?
What is it inside you that makes you want to lash out like that against people who profess their religious faith?

Did you see my "Hermes" post above? If I had posted this here, wouldn't have someone here thought I was a little strange?

If I believed that the Greek god Hermes had protected me from coming to harm in Miami traffic, I would fully expect to be ridiculed. Where is the difference? Because one god is more real than the other? The Greeks worshipped Hermes and his coterie for millennia...

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you see my "Hermes" post above? If I had posted this here, wouldn't have someone here thought I was a little strange?

If I believed that the Greek god Hermes had protected me from coming to harm in Miami traffic, I would fully expect to be ridiculed. Where is the difference? Because one god is more real than the other? The Greeks worshipped Hermes and his coterie for millennia...

The truth is, we would have ignored it, just like we did in the thread. You sure do a lot of preaching for someone who doesn't believe in religion.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 05-19-2015).]

pokeyfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pokeyfieroClick Here to visit pokeyfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to pokeyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are stupid and I have the right to make fun of you because I am smart and you are not.
If you don't want to be treated this way you shouldn't stick your ignorant head out in public for me to hit like a whack a mole.

I would love to not stop and help you on the side of the road.

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The truth is, we would have ignored it, just like we did in the thread. You sure do a lot of preaching for someone who doesn't believe in religion.

But, do you have an answer that makes sense? Is a "miracle" by an ancient Greek god any more or less real than one by the Christian one?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by pokeyfiero:

I would love to not stop and help you on the side of the road.

How very Christian of you. You also misquoted me. Bad, bad...
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But, do you have an answer that makes sense? Is a "miracle" by an ancient Greek god any more or less real than one by the Christian one?

Floundering much?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Floundering much?

Nope. What about an answer?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave