Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  '68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun! (Page 8)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun! by Boostdreamer
Started on: 05-03-2013 05:53 PM
Replies: 591 (44233 views)
Last post by: jagwinn on 04-02-2019 08:39 PM
CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ahg, I have to go to Ashville NC for a seminar that teaches women how defend themselves against rape or domestic attack - so that I can show this at my schools. Maybe Sunday after Church we can meet up?

------------------
Notchie to Fast Back Conversion

After Market Steering Wheel Conversion

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project Has Begun

IP: Logged
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're hoping to get together tomorrow afternoon for some more sculpting! Rain, rain, go away!!

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

We're hoping to get together tomorrow afternoon for some more sculpting! Rain, rain, go away!!

WOOHOO.......Finally..I have been waiting for a update.
Keep up the AWESOME job..

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, here we go - we did some more shaping today, see what ya think:

Here is where we rounded the fender to be more like a sdtock formula fender and we took out the right side grill area for shaping

Here you can see where took out the grill area on the passenger side

Shaping the nose

Shaping the nose still

This is an angle to see the nose taking shape

Another angle for nose shape

Here we are starting to cut the lower air dam and forward scoop

still shaping air dam (we were adding more foam to the top because the angle of the front top of the nose of the whole bumper isn't where we want it, so we are adding more foam to get the shape we want)

Here you cannot see the air dam pockets that allow air into the radiator but they are there. Also, we still need to finish shaping passenger side fender to match drivers. (alot of measuring taking place here )

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 06-19-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is starting to take shape better.But IMO I would round the outside corners a little more instead of a sharp edge.Just my opinion.Take it or leave it.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And even more pics!

My big project for the day was to re-do the driver's side of the bumper where it meets the wheel well. I noticed in earlier shots that although the shape looked good by itself, the lines didn't flow well enough. Upon further investigation, I could clearly see that our bumper was too thick near the wheel well. I found this out by comparing our iGTO bumper with my other Fieros' stock bumpers. Basically, I had to completely re-cut that side and smooth it all out again. It was worth it. It looks much better now and will work very well with stock fenders. That is a MUST for our designs.

When I was satisfied with that, I looked at the grill openings that Crazy Dragn had cut out. We were happy with them but were concerned about having enough foam material in the center for the point. That was my next project. I started shaping the center of the grill and with some good observations and ideas from Crazy Dragn, I think it is going in the right direction.

We had to add some extra foam to the corners of the bumper and would have liked to add more on top. We had some low areas in the corners and the top needed to be built up a bit more. After trying a couple of different techniques, we were able to get the foam built up on the sides and a little extra on the top. We're dangerously low on two-part foam! Who needs floor mats?!?!

We had been working pretty hard and were surprised at how little time had gone by. We started to work on the chin spoiler a little more. It's looking good. Needs more work but it's getting there.

It was an amazing day. I would not have believed we could make so much progress in one afternoon. I get more excited about this bumper each time we work on it. I wanted to put it on my '85 project but I'm not going to be able to wait. The first one will have to go on my GT!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

It is starting to take shape better.But IMO I would round the outside corners a little more instead of a sharp edge.Just my opinion.Take it or leave it.

We agree completly. We just haven't gotten to final shaping yet.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
By the way, the turn signals are in their stock mounting brackets so they will be very visible from there. We will be hiding them with the grill inserts but the main point is that they will remain in the stock location wich, once again, means NO EXTRA MODIFICATIONS FOR THE INSTALLER-OWNER!!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome progress! I have never considered any of the other nose options out there, but I am in on this one. Will look great on my silver notchie.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE (3800 in progress)
Fieros For Sale

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

awesome progress! I have never considered any of the other nose options out there, but I am in on this one. Will look great on my silver notchie.

Thanks, mrfred! Means a lot! I have felt the same way about all the other front bumpers out there! Glad you like it!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking interesting guys, Starting to come together. Honestly IMHO the openings are a bit too tall for my taste but the rest of the shape is coming along nicely. Good luck with it. Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

Looking interesting guys, Starting to come together. Honestly IMHO the openings are a bit too tall for my taste but the rest of the shape is coming along nicely. Good luck with it. Peace

Pete

Pete, it may be too soon to tell. I expect the relationships to change a bit as the final shaping takes place. The grill openings are a MAJOR concern in making this bumper look right so if we're not pleased at the end, we'll modify or start over. Let us know if your opinion evolves as the project does. Thanks!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2013 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What headlights are you putting in there or are you keeping the pop ups?
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What headlights are you putting in there or are you keeping the pop ups?

As of now, we are sticking with the pop-ups. we may modify them for the Led's, not sure yet.

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

As of now, we are sticking with the pop-ups. we may modify them for the Led's, not sure yet.

Definately sticking with the pop-ups! Mine work fine so I don't see any reason not to use them. The LED treatment is definately on the list of mods, though! They will require modifying existing headlight doors or creating brand new ones from fiberglass, etc. We may try to modify original ones first and if that doesn't work well, switch gears to copying them in fiberglass.

Headlights are very much of a personal preference thing. You might not like what I like and Jason might not like what you like. By not basing this bumper around any specific light kit, it remains attractive to the largest fan base possible.

You can see by the placement of the turn signals that using hide-away headlights will take some serious work. You'll either have to mount them in-board in the grills or move the turn signal's mounting points. For anyone who wants to do it, the turn signal bulb wiring has a few inches of slack to work with.

But that's just going with stock limitations. As long as you're willing to get your hands dirty for the headlights, there's no reason to not consider other lenses and bulbs as well as creative placement. With that comes cutting and splicing the wiring harness anyway. The only limitations are your imagination, your skill, and your checkbook.

We talked yesterday about smoked plexiglass being used in the grill inserts. I'm liking the sound of that right now.
------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 06-20-2013).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, guys (+'s).

Bob
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob, Thanks for the (+)!! I've got some red in my bar that I'm trying to make up for!
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Looks great, guys (+'s).

Bob

hehe, mine don't even show up yet

------------------

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smoked plexiglass like LEXAN would look nice behind the grill insert.That way you only see the lights when in use.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Smoked plexiglass like LEXAN would look nice behind the grill insert.That way you only see the lights when in use.

DITTO ^
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what we were thinking, boys! Great minds think alike!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

PFF
System Bot
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's gonna be BAD ASS!!!!
coady

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i agree it is gonna be super bad ass!!!!
keep it up...
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting to take shape nicely. Can we get a direct side profile shot?
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

CAn we get a bump on the floor mats?
I'll see if Boost can get that on here...

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 06-21-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2013 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
+'s for both of you for Pure Awesomeness..
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

CAn we get a bump on the floor mats?
I'll see if Boost can get that on here...

Will tomorrow work for that? I want to show a pic of how nice they look installed...and have been embarrassed to show them in my old interior. New interior should be done tomorrow.
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problem. I hope you are satisfied with them - they are really cool.

Side shots of the car will be coming up soon. It's \hard to get a side shot because of location but, i'm sure its do-able.

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that side profile look great!!! cant wait till its on my car lol
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

+'s for both of you for Pure Awesomeness..

Thanks for the + !

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by coady:

that side profile look great!!! cant wait till its on my car lol

Thanks! It's still just a "general" shape. You can see that the center point is too vertical compared to the angle of the grills. We'll have to shave the point down to match the angle of the grill openings and then shape and smooth the sides of the point again. Sculpting is very much a process of finding the lowest common denominator of both sides of a shape.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I was skeptical at first going by the photoshops, but they were just photoshops. It is starting to look REALLY good and I will need a new front bumper on my Formula anyway.. Lol.
NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty excited about this, starting to look amazing. Almost glad my painter isn't able to take my car yet!

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

I'm pretty excited about this, starting to look amazing. Almost glad my painter isn't able to take my car yet!

Hehehe, wait till you see whats next.........(input sinister looking grin here)

------------------

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2013 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm waiting impatiently.......But seriously keep up the great work......
Maybe a new rear bumper next...I can wish right?
coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that short fast back would be a great thing to follow this project....
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2013 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coady:

that short fast back would be a great thing to follow this project....

Why, yes it would!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2013 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hehehe
just wait!
Wait till I get back from Hilton Head Island, SC

------------------

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2013 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, guys.
I will not be able to work on the project Wednesday as planned. My wife is in the hospital and it is very serious. She will have to under a heart cath on Wednesday and possibly a stint, if not a stint then worse case open heart by-pass surgery. We just got back from vacation too.
All prayers are excepted and would be greatly appreciated.
Help us let God heal her, then we can get started again.
thank you in advance,
Jason

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 07-03-2013).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock