Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  '68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun! (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun! by Boostdreamer
Started on: 05-03-2013 05:53 PM
Replies: 591 (44260 views)
Last post by: jagwinn on 04-02-2019 08:39 PM
CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is one of our hood concepts:

Ill place pics of my black floor maps up tomorrow, sun is down and you need light to really see these to appreciate BoostDrreamers work.
They also help us fund our project so - BUY SOME!!

------------------
Notchie to Fast Back Conversion

After Market Steering Wheel Conversion

'68-69 GTO Nose Project

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 05-13-2013).]

IP: Logged
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO the square hood scoops don't match the rounded grille openings. Maybe try something more curvey?
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about putting the turn signals where the light strips are and making the grill open with hide-away headlights like the GTO?

What's next..A hood tach with a shift light..?
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its a little more round but just an Idea, the hood scoop may be a one-off

------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose Project

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

How about putting the turn signals where the light strips are and making the grill open with hide-away headlights like the GTO?

Hideaway headlights would require cutting the crash bar, etc. It would be something someone could do on their own but not something that could be produced in "kit" form.

The headlight doors are separate from the bumper. Not everyone will want those. We have to have a solution that everyone can use. We're still thinking about turn signal placement.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 05-14-2013).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought... you should be mocking up the designs on a stock fiero, not a choptop, or other modified body. This could skew the look and feel.

The lights on the opening of the headlight... will that work, as I would think you would need to cut back a lot so as to make them visible, otherwise, they won't be visible straight on, unless you are looking from above.
coady

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i like it but think that the holes should be a little more rounded but not functional. the air should be allowed to flow up from the rad through the add on and out up by the window allowing for great air movement on the rad instead of forcing air down and causing the nose to want to rise at higher speeds. don't you think?
i love the fact that you guys are allowing us to be part of the planning and input our thoughts and ideas. also making sure that the finished product is more to the liking of a larger buyer group... very smart on your part!!!
keep up the great work!!!
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Just a thought... you should be mocking up the designs on a stock fiero, not a choptop, or other modified body. This could skew the look and feel.

The lights on the opening of the headlight... will that work, as I would think you would need to cut back a lot so as to make them visible, otherwise, they won't be visible straight on, unless you are looking from above.

I agree, it looks somewhat different on the White car on the first page, as that car has a stock top and it`s not lowered.
But maybe that would be more incentive for choptops and lowering components.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

But maybe that would be more incentive for choptops and lowering components.

Maybe, but a bolt on nose is a lot easier than chopping the top

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

We are working off of a stock Formula parts car of mine. It is straight with no damage to the fenders or hood. We will level the car before we begin sculpting. It isn't chopped or anything. For a more "average" view. Look again at the black and gray car. It has the stock height roof.

I don't think the headlight doors will be a problem. I think the photoshop is very realistic. I may not modify the stock doors, I might make new ones.

------------------
Jonathan

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/128333.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

No, but I've got an idea to take it to the next level as a possible one off for me.

------------------
Jonathan

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some thoughts. If some of the grille is not flow thru, that would be somewhat of an air dam, if that is of any concern. Air that does flow through, will it be more than an original Fiero nose? It looks like it could be. If so air outlets may be warranted, or it could be that headlight lid "pop up" could happen at an earlier speed than the infamous 100mph pop up.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coady:

i like it but think that the holes should be a little more rounded but not functional. the air should be allowed to flow up from the rad through the add on and out up by the window allowing for great air movement on the rad instead of forcing air down and causing the nose to want to rise at higher speeds. don't you think?
i love the fact that you guys are allowing us to be part of the planning and input our thoughts and ideas. also making sure that the finished product is more to the liking of a larger buyer group... very smart on your part!!!
keep up the great work!!!

That photoshop is just a quick rendering of an idea. It is not in final form at all. We've got Terry working on a picture for us that is close to being done. We'll post that here when it's ready.

You are right about the air flow. That is the whole idea for this "scoop". It will actually be a beauty cover for the holes in the hood. The idea is to allow the radiator air to escape up and over the car through the outlet at the cowl. Just like you said, to increase cooling air flow and to keep the nose down.

We appreciate the interest and ideas. Just talking about it allows our minds to think through details, etc. It is very helpful.

------------------
Jonathan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

You are right about the air flow. That is the whole idea for this "scoop". It will actually be a beauty cover for the holes in the hood. The idea is to allow the radiator air to escape up and over the car through the outlet at the cowl.

Sounds like you got it covered
I like the retro V nose 2 scoop look to the hood too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-14-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Some thoughts. If some of the grille is not flow thru, that would be somewhat of an air dam, if that is of any concern. Air that does flow through, will it be more than an original Fiero nose? It looks like it could be. If so air outlets may be warranted, or it could be that headlight lid "pop up" could happen at an earlier speed than the infamous 100mph pop up.

The radiator air flow comes in at a very low point on the car. See this pic of the bumper removed:

You can see there is just a big metal wall blocking the radiator at the top. All the air flows in at the bottom. Notice the nose of the yellow car. It was photoshoped from a stock Formula bumper. You can still see the factory inlets below the GTO grills. We will keep this as is or very similar.

------------------
Jonathan

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yup
looks like these guys have thought about all the scenarios. good work guys....
i am super stoked to see the next phase of sculpting to start....
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As in the original picture where there is a downward hole in the hood, this is to allow air from the bottom of the car to flow upward to the hood.
The Hood Cover then allows for more transfer of air to speed it up using the two holes in the front and push it more fastly thru the cowl and over the windshield.
This would allow the air to travel with more speed in cooling for the radiator (in theory). The fan would help at idle but the faster you would go the cooler your radiator would be.

------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose Project

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are a few shots I snapped yesterday. This is as far as our funds have gotten us. There will be more work as resources allow.

------------------
Jonathan

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how are you guys making out with MY bumper lol
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

how are you guys making out with MY bumper lol

It's coming along, LOL
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a pic of how this process got started. We cut up a 2" insulation board to make the block. We used STUFF to spray in the missing sections to fill in. We found out quickly that we were not going to be happy with the shaping ability and quality of this foam so we tore it all out, bit the bullet, and bought the good stuff.

------------------
Jonathan

PFF
System Bot
85LAMB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One suggestion:
If possible you should start w/ a fiberglass bumper that has the upper part n side parts
Like the one from Fiero Fiberglass, I think the guys name is JimmyS
That way you would already have all the mounting points perfect
Then you would just need to shape the frt part of the bumper
It wold be a lot easier that building everything from scratch
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2013 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

One suggestion:
If possible you should start w/ a fiberglass bumper that has the upper part n side parts
Like the one from Fiero Fiberglass, I think the guys name is JimmyS
That way you would already have all the mounting points perfect
Then you would just need to shape the frt part of the bumper
It wold be a lot easier that building everything from scratch

I agree the mounting points will be a headache. We have two fascias that we could sacrifice for the cause. Not sure how we're going to address it at this point.

------------------
Jonathan

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I agree the mounting points will be a headache. We have two fascias that we could sacrifice for the cause. Not sure how we're going to address it at this point.

I do, actually we have three . (I have another fascia at my house, lol - yes its another bumper pad nose)
------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose Project

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 05-17-2013).]

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CrazyDragn

1400 posts
Member since Aug 2009
OOOoooh OOoooh Oooooh, Look what the FedEx guy just brought!!!

------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose Project

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2013 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so i assume that is the stuff that gets me another step closer to my bumper lol
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet!!!
coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coady

934 posts
Member since Aug 2012
last night i was thinking about how to get the perfect fit. then it hit me
why not take the pointy nose bumper cut the front out of it.
mount it the fill the inside with the foam. when hard carve out the desired shape. then glass over it to get the mold.
does this sound possible?
just a thought...
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

last night i was thinking about how to get the perfect fit. then it hit me
why not take the pointy nose bumper cut the front out of it.
mount it the fill the inside with the foam. when hard carve out the desired shape. then glass over it to get the mold.
does this sound possible?
just a thought...

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like something we're discussing. All options are still on the table at this point.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doesn't this sound like the easiest way to make the original mold. i think that it would speed up the process as you would just have to work on the gto shape and not have to worry about getting the fitting to the car correct.
again just a thought.
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And a little more 'food for thought' :
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

doesn't this sound like the easiest way to make the original mold. i think that it would speed up the process as you would just have to work on the gto shape and not have to worry about getting the fitting to the car correct.
again just a thought.

CrazyDragn and I have our next session planned for Wednesday. Our first order of business is for him to show me his ideas about mounting and attaching the nose. He's been working on that aspect of it and he'll show me what he's come up with then. At that point I'll be able to see if I can add anything to it and we'll brainstorm from there to come up with a working process. Then we'll push forward with that plan and try to remain flexable to new ideas and solutions to unforseen problems that crop up.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
great!!!
keep us posted..
if it wasnt for you guys i'd probally be taking a break from the computer
but you have me checking every couple of hours to see if i missed anything exciting lol
keep up the good work

on a side note not a fan of the trans am nose reminds me of the pretty girls ugly sister......

edited for trans am slam lol

[This message has been edited by coady (edited 05-18-2013).]

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

great!!!
keep us posted..
if it wasnt for you guys i'd probally be taking a break from the computer
but you have me checking every couple of hours to see if i missed anything exciting lol
keep up the good work

on a side note not a fan of the trans am nose reminds me of the pretty girls ugly sister......

edited for trans am slam lol

WITH BUCK TEETH!!

------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose Project

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
omg yes with the license plate holder does look like buck teeth lol
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a WHITE SpongeBob!! LOL
It's all in fun bro
I can't wait to show you all more, a lil at a time is all you can handle tho.

------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose Project

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump up because I believe in your idea.
How about another idea (but has already been done?

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:
Bump up because I believe in your idea.
How about another idea (but has already been done?

Nice Idea, however I think we were going with the idea that it would be a cover to the walber invert hood scoop. This would allow air from the under side of the car meet with the wind from the front of the car and creat more air displacement thru the radiator.

------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project Has Begun

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 05-21-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nicely done. The problem with the Fiero hood is that there are so many straight lines and square shapes. It is hard to come up with something that looks good on its own and goes well with the original lines. Not to mention making it functional all at the same time.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock