Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Ferrario Progress (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ferrario Progress by whadeduck
Started on: 02-10-2007 08:09 PM
Replies: 501 (42155 views)
Last post by: deloreanant on 03-03-2013 06:34 PM
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent. What kind of logo are you thinking of using to replace the pony?
Do you have a good close up pic of the pony logo and possibly a pic of the logo you want to use?
IP: Logged
whadeduck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Talked with Mr. Mike, he said, if I mailed my backs to him, he could swap them out. But I would lose my seatbelt slots. Otherwise, he said the only other option he could think of would be to sew an embroidered patch over the existing logo. I have some spare vinyl I could get the new logo put on. Still open to other options though. Mr. Mike said that, if I removed the enbroidery, it would leave a bunch of tiny little holes in the vinyl. But if I stitch something over it, I still think I'm going to remove the old stitching so it won't leave a lump in the new logo.

edit to add the logo. This....

only in black. Or maybe even a slightly different shade of tan. Even thinking about a completely embroidered cloth patch for something to go over the old one.
------------------
Whade' "The Duck Formerly Known As Wade" Duck
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-13-2007).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr. Mikes advice about the patch over the old holes is the best way to do it. Figure out how large of a patch you need to cover the old holes and then go for it. I too would remove the old stitching before sewing on the new logo. Also use a good adhesive on the back of the new patch (to help strengthen the vinyl area with the holes) then sew the patch on around the edges of the patch.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think I found a place that'll do custom embroidered patches fairly cheap. About $115 for twelve. So I'll come up with a design and try to sell the other ten if someone's interested. By the way, other than a seam ripper, is there a good way to remove embroidery?

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to hear about your problems and I know it can be depressing. But MAN, I would just walk away from the car for awhile. Sounds like you're doing things that are costing you more money, aren't gonna help you sell it and you will probably regret later. it's beautiful - i would definitely not mess with mixng pegasus and cavalino - its gonna look halfway done in both directions. I'd trade you for one of my cars and finish it up the way you started .....

Cheer up - the holidays are coming .....
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not mixing the two really. That's why I'm trying to have all of the logos the pegasus instead of the prancing horse. Kinda walked away from it for a little while. Unfortunately, it was because I was working 100 hour plus weeks. I originally started out wanting to make it look as much like a 355 as possible without going into a full kit. But now I want it to look unique. The style will be similar to the lines of a 355 but keeping the Fiero lines also. Yeah, some of these things cost some money, but I've never had any intention on doing any of this project half-assed. That's why I went ahead and got the interior done by Amida. I didn't feel I would've been happy with anything less. The same with things like these seat backs. It's the little details that can make all of the difference in a project. In the end, it's a project "I" have to be content with. Not an easy task considering how anally retentive I can be with things like this. But I dread the holidays. Haven't been able to get into the spirit for years.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is just an idea of about what the embroidered patches I'm going to have made will look like.

The site I was looking at though, might have a patch that's rectangular with rounded off top and bottom. Thought that might look kewl. Any other suggestions? If I get them made, I'll have ten left that I'll put up for sale for cost plus what little it'll take to mail them off.
------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-15-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

whadeduck

8907 posts
Member since Jul 2004
Ok, this is more like what I had in mind. Now I just have to come up with the right size.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 05:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it will look better if you have the patch completely round.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll see what I can come up with and compare them. Don't want to just have the Fiero shield either. The only other update is that I got two 4-wire connectors in the mail yesterday from Painless. I'm using those to make connections for the instrument panel. Instead of eight separate wires, I'll have two plugs to undo.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-16-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

whadeduck

8907 posts
Member since Jul 2004

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

I think it will look better if you have the patch completely round.

Better?

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I think it will look better sewn on to the head rest of the seat.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But the patch is being stitched on to cover all the little holes that will be left over from removing the embroidery.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

whadeduck

8907 posts
Member since Jul 2004
Just giving it a for opinions from the night crowd.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update: No patches. contacted Mr. Mike and I'm sending the seat backs back to him. He'll take the back panel off and stitch a new one in with the pegasus logo ebroidered on it. Whoohoo Mr. Mike! Still working on getting the wiring harness for the instrument panel squared away. I bought a pre-made harness from Painless, but it only covers some of the stuff. I'm having to fab the rest of it.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets see some pics !
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okie dokie. This is the back of the instrument panel. I thought I had spaghetti before.

The harness pretty much hooks up the gauges, turn signals, and the high-beam idicator. The rest has to be fabbed up.
Had to lengthen the wires to go to the gauges to go in the center of the dash. Pretty much keeping Fiero orientation with this. The speedometer, tach, fuel, and water temp gauges are going in the main pod and the voltmeter and oil pressure are going into the center section. Also have a boost gauge in there for future use.

To get all, actually most, of the dash lights to work, I ordered these 4-connector plugs from painless to simplify and neaten things up.

Now it's back outside. I'm still trying to get the new alternator back onto my GT along with Dodgerunner's belt tensioner bracket and I'm running out of light again.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-18-2007).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can probably get those connectors at any electronics supply store in plugs with different numbers of wires. Here, Fry's electronics stocks them. Also, double check the circuits with your color codes on the dash wires - GM used the same color for numerous circuits. I'm going through mine again; the wiring diagrams in the Haynes or service manuals are very good guides.

Nice work
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to trace the wires back. I'm using the stock instrument panel's printed circuit. I'll note the location of the wires on the plug that would normally plug into the instrument panel and splice those wires into the appropriate place. Ain't I the brainy one? I checked the local parts stores and Radio Shacks and they didn't have any connectors. Autozone did, but I would've ended up paying more than I did ordering them online. Around the Myrtle Beach area, there's not much that doesn't cater to the tourist industry. So aftermarket car places and the like are almost, if not, nonexistant. Ya know, looking at all of the stuff on my kitchen table, I'm almost glad I don't have a girlfriend or wife. I'd probably be dead by now.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-18-2007).]

Mr.PBody

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So are you going to keep it !?
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2007 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nobody really seemed interested in it. Not for what I had to get for it anyway. So yeah, I'm going to have to keep working on it somehow.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

PFF
System Bot
Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whadeduck:

Okie dokie. This is the back of the instrument panel. I thought I had spaghetti before.

The harness pretty much hooks up the gauges, turn signals, and the high-beam idicator. The rest has to be fabbed up.
Had to lengthen the wires to go to the gauges to go in the center of the dash. Pretty much keeping Fiero orientation with this. The speedometer, tach, fuel, and water temp gauges are going in the main pod and the voltmeter and oil pressure are going into the center section. Also have a boost gauge in there for future use.

To get all, actually most, of the dash lights to work, I ordered these 4-connector plugs from painless to simplify and neaten things up.

Now it's back outside. I'm still trying to get the new alternator back onto my GT along with Dodgerunner's belt tensioner bracket and I'm running out of light again.

Pretty tight fit wouldn't you say? I looked around for a 8-12pin connector, but I don't believe there is one in the aftermarket. You can always make the car your daily driver, so that you'll have it everyday to work on little by little.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kinda thinking along those lines. Still much work just to get it to DD status.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ferrarifan took a ferry boat to my place one morning & we gutted out his stock interior & replaced it with one that I had waiting for him & he took the ferry back that same evening. We didn't do any of the wiring so he was driving home blind, but goes to show you that one day projects can work with good planning.

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
But my problem is that I'm virtually skilless. That, and I'm trying to wire in an alarm system at the same time, and rewire the rear light panel, and new backup lights. Whew! Think I'm gonna push the boss off his couch and have me a nap. Hopefully, I'm going to spend all Thanksgiving in the shop working on it. Once the wiring is completed, I'm laying down some Dynamat-type stuff. Oh yeah, tell Ferrarifan that he has a really purdy car.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-19-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2007 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whichever nose I put on the car, I'm going to try to build a grille similar to the 355's and put a mesh grille behind it. Any suggestions on how to build one? I'd like to build it out of aluminum. But I want to paint it black and I thought I heard that aluminum doesn't hold paint very well. I probably heard wrong. =\ Oh yeah, and I can't weld so that option is pretty much off of the table.

I like this grille because it'll put the new emblem where everyone will see it. If I stick with just a mesh in the grille opening, the emblem will be kind of tucked away. Opinions and suggestions are welcome as always.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much of an update. Not feeling well today. Kinda feel like I got between Rosie O'Donnell and a doughnut. So I didn't get to the shop. But I did finish the instrument panel wiring harness.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2007 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. Just hope it's hooked up right and will work. I'm thinking I'm going to have to order a couple of different sending units.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

Amida

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. VDO used their own oil & temp senders. I used T-fittings to install in addition to the stock senders because I believe the computer still uses both ( oil pressure & temp sensor ). The "Hot" dummy light also needs a separate sender to turn on&off; replaces the stock temp gauge sender in the corner of the cylinder head on v6.

[This message has been edited by Amida (edited 11-23-2007).]

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ooo, yeah. Didn't think about the computer still having to use the stock sensors. Thanks. I'll have to modify your plan a little though because I have a 2.5 liter.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i didn't know that the VDO gauges used their own temp and oil senders (!?). Lucky that the stock fuel sender was OK .

I don't know about the ECU, but the stock oil pressure sender has "feedback" wiring to the fuel pump relay. I simply terminated these wires (there are 3) and did not have a problem. If these wires ground, the fuel pump fuse will blow (and you'll most definitely be stranded).

Keep up the nice work .... your gauage panel looks MUCH better than the first two times I did mine

By the way, don't you mean you have a 2.8 (?) or are you spending all this time and money on a 4 cylinder car ?

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 11-23-2007).]

Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of gauges are you using? I'm thinking of building a custom dash and haven't decided on gauges yet.
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the moment, I'm keeping the four-banger in it. I have plans to do either a turbocharged or supercharged 3.8. So either way, whether I started with a four-cylinder car or a six, I'd still end up doing an engine swap. The gauges I'm using are VDO Visions.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

[This message has been edited by whadeduck (edited 11-24-2007).]

Team Race-Tech

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Team Race-TechSend a Private Message to Team Race-TechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Amida:

Ferrarifan took a ferry boat to my place one morning & we gutted out his stock interior & replaced it with one that I had waiting for him & he took the ferry back that same evening. We didn't do any of the wiring so he was driving home blind, but goes to show you that one day projects can work with good planning.

Who's kit is that, or better yet where did that guy purchase the 355 kit?????

pavo_roddy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all

Team race tech, go here: http://www.air-dynamics.ws/

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

Vendetta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VendettaSend a Private Message to VendettaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much did it cost to replace the seat back with the logo.. I have a set of seats from Mr Mike with the ferrari horse but i want to change it to just the pegasus. Thanks Austin
whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't know for sure yet. I sent them off last week. He said that when he's done he'll tell me how much it is. But I'm thinking it'll be less than $100.

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

whadeduck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whadeduckSend a Private Message to whadeduckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I need to order a water temp. sending unit and an oil pressure sending unit to get the gauges to work. Does anyone know the thread sizes of the stock sensors?

------------------
'87 GT Auto
'88 Ferrario
'84 Indy

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 04:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
here's the link for the 12-pin molex connector, part number 1360PRT

http://www.waldom.com/search.cfm

using distributor locator in the left column might give you a local store. hope this helps you and amida

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 11-29-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 13 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock