Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  CHOP TOP # 15 !!!!!!!!!! (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
CHOP TOP # 15 !!!!!!!!!! by exoticse
Started on: 10-16-2004 12:00 PM
Replies: 773 (73477 views)
Last post by: troyboy on 10-29-2016 12:52 PM
madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2004 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Have a good drive home Curley!!

Just about half-way home. I'm running a little late. I'm at D1S (OKC) getting some items done to #15 before I head-out west.

This chop is better with a sun roof vs. without IMO.

IP: Logged
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi curly.

looking good. I love my sunroof as well. Gives more space inside the car and you can look up at all other cars that you pass and see the faces... Whats that!!!!

Regards SHARKMAN

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2004 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does that mean you wont be at the Coast Run?
Look forward to seeing your new car soon
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2004 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nearing the stretch run ! Mad man is in New mexico.

Darn that car looks sweet !

Fiero~Spataro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2004 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero~SpataroSend a Private Message to Fiero~SpataroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i say lose the rocker panels and the spoiler, paint it orange and it would look craaazzzyyyyy

------------------

*click to see my Fiero site*

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Number 15 now minus the wing !

Only the begining !

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats right. LOSE THE WING.
rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 04:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh my god. leave the wing off.

that looks soooo damn good.. please.. leave it off..

Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sharkman:

Thats right. LOSE THE WING.

Man that is Sexy Beautiful.

That is the pic I needed to remotivate me.

Thanks!

Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some more motivation for you Will-Martin, don´t want too take this thread from Madcurl
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/046606.html

regards SHARKMAN

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 11-16-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Does that mean you wont be at the Coast Run?
Look forward to seeing your new car soon

Sorry Rick. Due to the snow storm, I got held-up 15 miles outside Armarrillo TX, Gallup NM, and Flagstaff, NV. I was partly ahead of it....the storm was chasing me.

Wingless? Yes! Beside, with a choptop you can't see out the rear view mirror. The wing is in the way unless you raise it by 3"

Thanks Exoticse for posting pics.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-16-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Dowdian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DowdianClick Here to visit Dowdian's HomePageSend a Private Message to DowdianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Beside, with a choptop you can't see out the rear view mirror.

hmmmm. I had never though of that. I gotta think...I'll come up with something.

------------------
Dowdian
Beat up, broken down, bashed in 88 GT that I love dearly.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dowdian:

hmmmm. I had never though of that. I gotta think...I'll come up with something.

Yes, under the OEM seat location, as you know the wing isn't so annoying or 100% in you way but! With a chop the seat is dropped by 2" and the front window where the rear view mirror is located.....puts the wing straight in the way. Yes, you can see above the wing but the B-piller is dropped by 3" making your area of vision very tight. It's hard trying to see a Cop in your rear.

EDIT: Also I removed the stock third brake light. It too is or was in the way. I plan on using a after-market third brake lights.

Raised wing examples:

This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-16-2004).]

The Black Widow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2004 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Black WidowSend a Private Message to The Black WidowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DAMN that car is HOT!!!!!!
-Matt
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post11-16-2004 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

EDIT: Also I removed the stock third brake light. It too is or was in the way. I plan on using a after-market third brake light

Late model Ford Taurus 2002-2004

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curly haave you put the rubber on the new rims yet ?

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Curly haave you put the rubber on the new rims yet ?

No. Rubbers are in the garage awaiting the chop. I was at a local Chevy dealership looking at a rear third window. I think it will work according to drawing? 36" long by 58" wide and 10" height. Chop is 9 1/2" high, 58" wide, but 26" long.

Example:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-18-2004).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2004 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
New Fiero Store floor mats are beautiful! I highly recommend them over stock floor mats to match ACC blk carpet. Even the Fiero crest logo looks great! Got a K&N so that the N* can breath easier, hehehehe.

Since I regularly log-in I got a mouse pad too w/key ring.

Next: I'm call'n Mr. Mikes!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-18-2004).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2004 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

New Fiero Store floor mats are beautiful! I highly recommend them over stock floor mats to match ACC blk carpet. Even the Fiero crest logo looks great! Got a K&N so that the N* can breath easier, hehehehe.

Since I regularly log-in I got a mouse pad too w/key ring.

Next: I'm call'n Mr. Mikes!

Madcurl getting #15 uniformed

New Floor mats

Da mouse pad

K & N Filter, key ring, etc.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curly,

Any pics of #11 and #15 together yet ??

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Curly,

Any pics of #11 and #15 together yet ??

Nope. I was too busy changing the oil and fuel filter on #15. However, it did look strange with both cars being about 42" high side-by-side. I stopped off at Trends to look at the Redux. Man that sucker is blotted and monsterous looking. IMO it doesn't even look like a Fiero anymore comparred to the others.

I was going to take a pic of it but the car was in the corner and behind another car.

Anyway, a comparrison shots:

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-27-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
rmphoto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rmphotoSend a Private Message to rmphotoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
curly what size are the rims on #15? 18?
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2004 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rmphoto:

curly what size are the rims on #15? 18?

In the previous pic both #11 and #15 have the same rims. Borbet 17x7.5 Some how these wheels are used for choptop projects only.

The Redux (primered one) has 19x7.5 rim (rear) on 245/35/19 Toyo and the front is stock but the 19x7.5 on 235/35/19 wasn't on the car during the pic.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 11-27-2004).]

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So let me get this straight. You have the silver chop-top, this red chop-top, and the Redux???? Damn, how much money do you have?

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 11-28-2004).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sqoach:

So let me get this straight. You have the silver chop-top, this red chop-top, and the Redux???? Damn, how much money do you have?

And the light goes on !! Hehehehe.

Sqoach i can almost see your face as you came to the realization ! Very funny. I know a lot of forum members have still not put it all together and realized he owns all three.

No way the madman wants to discuss his salary but it is pretty obvious that he does well for himself, best to just leave it at that.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 11-28-2004).]

slickrick2000

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the looks of the chop tops! All those cars look great. I am hoping I can get some money saved to get mine done in the future.

I have a couple questions though.

How many inches are usually chopped off?

Does the framework that runs up the side of the windshield stay at the same angle, or does it end up leaning back towards the rear? Is the same windshield able to be used?

And lastly, when you actually do the chop, does the frame need to be temporarly reinforced to keep it from twisting, or does this not happen when it's cut apart?

Inquiring MIND wants to know... Thanks

[This message has been edited by slickrick2000 (edited 11-28-2004).]

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2004 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No way the madman wants to discuss his salary but it is pretty obvious that he does well for himself, best to just leave it at that.

You're right. Sorry, shouldn't have said that. I guess I'm just jealous.

slickrick2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK I am thinking I may try doing my own choptop mod. The way my family eats up money, I'll never have it if I don't do it myself.

Anyone have the answers for my questions two posts up?

ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The vast majority of chopped Fiero's were/are performed by Archie’s shop. A couple of folks have done it themselves, but I’m not aware of anyone sharing or documenting their efforts. Archie performed mine and it’s three inches, the original windshield is used and layed back, which means the A-pillars are cut at some point, layed back, and rewelded. The B-pillar is cut at an angle, then rewelded back together. The rear window and side windows are replaced with a lexan type material. I have no idea if the car is reinforced during the chopping process. However a couple of members have made braces when they have installed t-tops into their cars, so bracing may be part of the procedure.
It’s quite a bit of work, if you can afford it you should really think about having Archie do it for you. They’ve done enough by now that they have it down to a science. Good luck.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by slickrick2000:

OK I am thinking I may try doing my own choptop mod. The way my family eats up money, I'll never have it if I don't do it myself.

Anyone have the answers for my questions two posts up?

Home brewed choptop? I only know of (1) person who has started and finished (100%) a choptop besides Archie........Orivlle. There is two other person(s) a yellow and a totally extreme chopped red notch back. I don't know the details as to: if the windows works or such?

The easy part is cutting it........finishing it is a totally different story. Part(s) have to be fab'd and are expensive.

Construction: The areas are reinforced to OEM according to Archie. He does this to prevent a law suits in the future. Interior pieces are 100% custom made. Rear window is OEM glass. Although the front glass can be used in the process, most choose to replace it with a new glass.

slickrick2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2004 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Naw...I can't afford it at the moment, or forseeable future. 3 kids, stay at home wife, and house payments will be forcing me to do all my own work. A chop is a luxury not a neccesity, and 4 grand is way to much towards a luxury at the moment.

Besides, I have the skills and experience in the metal work, some with fiberglass, and lotsa time and patience. The one thing I lack is the knowledge and specifics (and a couple neccesary tools...hehe). But hopefully I can get that from you guys. The knowledge and specifics that is...hehe.

Before I get started with anything I need to get the parts car outta my garage. Hummm...I may cut that one up for practice when I get it all stripped down. The frame has no rust at all, but it's still in the guys name that gave me the car 3 yrs ago.

I'll be sure to let ya know if I undertake this project.

EDIT: thanks for the input...anything else you guys have to say, I'm open to listen to.

[This message has been edited by slickrick2000 (edited 11-30-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2004 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine are made by a guy in Sweden. He did not have a workshop but he did it. The interior is a modified original. Using a hot air gun to soft the panels and reform them. And you need too cut the panels a bit. I have the rear speakers at the same place as original. My car is choped about 2.5" and that works just fine.
But here in Sweden there are no Archie to get the job done...
I am thinking of doing one more choptop in about 2 years time. Have som documentation from the guy that did mine.

/ SHARKMAN

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2004 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anybody who says the chop tops don't make the fiero look like a true exotic better put down the chronic and take a look at this comparison !

Remove the wing, slap on some HREs, throw in some aussie trim modifications,......

And wow you have one hot american exotic !!

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 12-06-2004).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sure would be nice to see a picture of the Redux that didn't look like a grainy picture of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster

Can someone with a megapixel please take a decent shot so we can see what it looks like?

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2004 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

It sure would be nice to see a picture of the Redux that didn't look like a grainy picture of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster

Can someone with a megapixel please take a decent shot so we can see what it looks like?

Hehehe i think that is part of the attraction of the Redux,...almost like it is just a myth or something !

At any rate I think the Redux is on hold while #15 gets done in time for Daytona.

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hehehe i think that is part of the attraction of the Redux,...almost like it is just a myth or something !

People still think that about mine...lol

------------------
-----just me-----
------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

People still think that about mine...lol

I don't know Steve, at this point we haven't even seen a grainy mythical picture of yours...

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I don't know Steve, at this point we haven't even seen a grainy mythical picture of yours...

YOU not seeing it is who's fault..?? Well, I guess it is both of ours that you did'nt get to see it.... I broke down and was late and you did'nt get back to the hotel for leaving for Houston early... I did get to see the F-bird interior though.... Can't wait until you get the chop finished!

I hope and plan and think I can actually finish by next rukus.... kevin has already been calling me to be ready for Austin 2005!!

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fresh pics for you to digest !

Madcurl gassing up:

Rolling on new rims ! The front:

The Rear:

Side and angle shots

Last but not least, the powerplantt

Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2004 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dang those is some big rims. Looks darn good though!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 20 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock