Started on: 01-03-2019 10:14 AM
Replies: 418 (13504 views)
Last post by: zkhennings on 04-02-2024 02:27 PM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2023 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the Wilwood 120-11872-RD calipers, the banjo bolt hits the damper mount on the LCA, at full droop / full lock:

To address this, I started by reducing the head height of the banjo bolts, but that wasn't enough.

The Wilwood caliper I have is actually made for a 1.04" thick rotor, so with the 0.87" thick LeBaron rotor, the caliper is excessively wide.

To gain banjo bolt clearance, I decided to narrow the caliper by removing 2.5 mm of material from the outer half:

For more banjo bolt clearance, I also removed 3.5 mm of material from the banjo bolt boss:

I plunged the cutter in the Z-axis, so any machining marks would be circular around the banjo bolt, to avoid creating any radial leak paths.

Then, I bolted the calipers back together:

Next weekend I'll be able to bring the calipers to the car and see how much the banjo bolt clearance situation has been improved.

Since it looks like I'm going to be replacing my sluppy123 hubs with custom hubs, if I need to gain more banjo bolt clearance, I may also draw my custom hubs with some positive offset to push the wheel/caliper a bit more outboard.
IP: Logged
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2023 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the following mods, I finally have 4 mm of clearance between the banjo bolt and LCA:
2.5 mm removed from outer half of caliper.
3.5 mm removed from fluid port boss on caliper.
Banjo bolt head reduced in height.
Material ground off from LCA.

That's all with a stock sluppy123 hub.

I think that 4 mm clearance is OK, but if I end up making custom hubs, I'll add a bit more positive offset.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2024 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For my front hubs, I'm going with modified front rotor/hubs.

To set up the stock rotor on the lathe, I used a (modified) steering knuckle as a fixture. The steering knuckle is centre-drilled at both ends from the factory.

I crudely statically balanced the steering knuckle by balancing it on one of its centre holes. For torque transmission, I added a steel bracket, which drives one of the hub's ribs.

The setup worked fine without vibration at 150 RPM.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2024 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are you taking material off the rotor? Is it because it doesn't clear the caliper?
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2024 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is to convert the stock integrated rotor/hub into a hub which can accept a different (LeBaron) rotor.

I took off all the braking surface! I took the photo in the beginning of the job.
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2024 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah!!
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2024 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

This is to convert the stock integrated rotor/hub into a hub which can accept a different (LeBaron) rotor.

I took off all the braking surface! I took the photo in the beginning of the job.

You located it on the bearing races to minimize runout in the final part? Are you planning to face the wheel mounting surface?

Looks like a lot of extra work vs. chucking on the inboard journal, if all you're doing is parting off the rotor

Or are you turning the rotor down from its original OD?

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 03-04-2024).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2024 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
You located it on the bearing races to minimize runout in the final part? Are you planning to face the wheel mounting surface?

Looks like a lot of extra work vs. chucking on the inboard journal, if all you're doing is parting off the rotor

Or are you turning the rotor down from its original OD?

The LeBaron rotor centrebore is slightly large for the Fiero hub's wheel/brake register, so my plan is to build up the area with a Permatex Steel Weld (a steel-loaded epoxy), and then turn it down to fit the LeBaron rotor. This operation needs to be low-runout, so that's why I prepared the setup with location via the bearings. If the brake rotor is mounted eccentrically, then that will cause a static mass imbalance.

Yes, I will be skimming the wheel/brake mounting surface. Initially, that was not part of the plan, but the yahoos at Dynamic Friction (or at the Chinese factory where the rotors were produced) installed the lug studs with an excessive amount of interference (approx 0.025"). This caused some material to be displaced, proud of the surface, hence needing to take a skim cut to make things flat.

As the lug holes are undersized, I'll be able to ream them to 12.5 mm and install Dorman 610-323 studs.

In my previous post, I simply converted the braking surface into a pile of chips. That operation didn't need much precision, but I wanted to do a "shakedown run" of my knuckle / bearing-locating setup, before using it for the more fussy higher-precision operations.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2024 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The LeBaron rotor centrebore is slightly large for the Fiero hub's wheel/brake register, so my plan is to build up the area with a Permatex Steel Weld (a steel-loaded epoxy), and then turn it down to fit the LeBaron rotor. This operation needs to be low-runout, so that's why I prepared the setup with location via the bearings. If the brake rotor is mounted eccentrically, then that will cause a static mass imbalance.

The front LeBaron rotor has a smaller rotor pilot than the rear rotor. It's also slightly smaller outside diameter, but it fits the Fiero rotor pilot without modification, IIRC.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2024 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000

In my previous post, I simply converted the braking surface into a pile of chips. That operation didn't need much precision, but I wanted to do a "shakedown run" of my knuckle / bearing-locating setup, before using it for the more fussy higher-precision operations.

I guess if you only need to make two, that's a fine way to do it... a part-off tool would be MUCH easier.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2024 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I guess if you only need to make two, that's a fine way to do it... a part-off tool would be MUCH easier.

Besides having to buy (or grind) a tool to do that, I didn't want to deal with the disc coming loose at the end of the cut and possibly smashing/jamming into something.

I also thought about roughly cutting off the disc with an angle grinder + abrasive cutoff wheels, but that would have required many cutoff wheels, and I would have been left with a polygon shape needing to be turned on the lathe. I don't really like cutting polygons into round shapes; I'm not a fan of interrupted cuts like that.

For three hubs (I wanted a spare!), the method was workable, but tedious.

Ideally, I think it would be best to use an endmill to mill a groove to separate the disc from the hub; either conventional mill with rotary table, or CNC. I didn't have either of these tools at my disposal.

The front LeBaron rotor has a smaller rotor pilot than the rear rotor. It's also slightly smaller outside diameter, but it fits the Fiero rotor pilot without modification, IIRC.

That's a good suggestion / good info.

I looked at pics on Rockauto, and it seems like that rotor has a rather shallow rotor hat. My caliper-to-wheel clearance is quite tight as things are now; I think that might turn into interference with the front LeBaron rotor! I'll stay on my current path for now.
PFF
System Bot
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Grizzly Rotary table has been a great addition to the Bridgeport at work, not too expensive either, and nice for making cuts that are not 90* to one another in addition to doing circular things. Can be mounted vertically or horizontally.

The other way you could have rough cut the rotor off is with a jig saw and a steel cutting blade, it does a decent job, I have done some circular cuts in 0.25" steel with it. Not the speediest operation but much better than using cutoff wheels.

Nice work though, hope you get to enjoy the car this summer now that you have your hubs sorted, I am very curious to hear about how you like the car with your anti dive mod, I would like to do something similar.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Besides having to buy (or grind) a tool to do that, I didn't want to deal with the disc coming loose at the end of the cut and possibly smashing/jamming into something.

I also thought about roughly cutting off the disc with an angle grinder + abrasive cutoff wheels, but that would have required many cutoff wheels, and I would have been left with a polygon shape needing to be turned on the lathe. I don't really like cutting polygons into round shapes; I'm not a fan of interrupted cuts like that.

Sounds like you're talking about making the cut axially through the rotor.
I'm talking about making the cut radially through the hat section.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2024 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:
Nice work though, hope you get to enjoy the car this summer now that you have your hubs sorted, I am very curious to hear about how you like the car with your anti dive mod, I would like to do something similar.

The snow is melting fast, so I'm quite looking forward to the summer and getting the car ready!

Sounds like you're talking about making the cut axially through the rotor.

Yes, that's what I meant.

I'm talking about making the cut radially through the hat section.

I see what you mean; in your proposition, the ribs keep the disc attached to the hub. Then, as a second step, the ribs could be cut with a small cutoff wheel to free the disc.

I wanted to keep the hat+rib area intact, as I wasn't sure how much material could be removed from there while keeping the hub strong enough. In comparison though, the rear hubs are a lot more flimsy-looking, yet they seem adequately strong.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 03-08-2024).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2024 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reaming the lug stud holes to 12.5 mm:

Backside of hubs painted with POR-15, and brake rotor register built up with Permatex Steel Weld epoxy:

I made a tool to support the hub while pressing in the lug studs. The tool has a 12 mm hole to help keep the stud aligned.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finished the modified rotor/hubs.

With my knuckle between centres setup, I ended up with about 0.001" of runout. Good enough.

zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work! Curious how well that JB weld will hold up, it should not see any stress, but might take a beating removing and installing wheels.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some hubcentric rings for wheels are made of plastic

In this case, I'm only using the Permatex Steel Weld to centre the brake rotor.

The wheel has a large centre bore (alignment is via the 60° conical lug nuts), so the wheel won't rub on the epoxy during installation/removal.
zkhennings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did not realize it was just for the rotors, I wouldn't expect any issues then. I was speaking more to the ability of the metal reinforced epoxy to chip because it is pretty hard, almost like a ceramic, and I have had it chip/crack on me before. The plastic rings are soft enough they will not chip, but they are a pain as eventually they don't fit as snug, I have had to glue mine into my wheels after a few years where they used to stay installed from friction. But removing/installing rotors is much more gentle than removing/installing wheels.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock