Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  JohnWPB 1986 GT Fastback worklog (Page 15)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 28 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
JohnWPB 1986 GT Fastback worklog by JohnWPB
Started on: 12-03-2010 12:28 AM
Replies: 1105 (45204 views)
Last post by: eric12 on 01-16-2022 07:03 PM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Second, a hole in the A/C compressor. Looks like another $250 down the tube

You bought that compressor? When I did mine I got the compressor and alternator from a car at U-Pick and looked a lot nicer than that one even without cleaning. Car was wrecked so it looked like not a high mileage. You should check it out once in a while. I also got the compressor end of the hose and used it to build the Fiero AC hose. There is a shop righ there after U-pick that does them. Cost me about $75 only.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 03-24-2016).]

IP: Logged
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2016 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

No problem with the bell housing; not pretty, but not a big deal.
Letters may be from re-manufacturer of tranny, or stock ( I have not seen that before.).

Thanks Joe, Glad to hear that at least!

I found this sticker on the transmission while pressure washing it today:

I find it interesting there was a re-manufactured transmission in this car, as I ran the CarFax, and the car had just over 50,000 miles on it. That is pretty low mileage to have to replace a transmission right? I wish I knew at what mileage this transmission was put it, as there is no mention of it in the CarFax report.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 05-24-2018).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2016 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:
You bought that compressor? When I did mine I got the compressor and alternator from a car at U-Pick and looked a lot nicer than that one even without cleaning. Car was wrecked so it looked like not a high mileage. You should check it out once in a while. I also got the compressor end of the hose and used it to build the Fiero AC hose. There is a shop righ there after U-pick that does them. Cost me about $75 only.

Alex, sorry, I did not see your post! I clicked the email link to view latest posts, and that was on page 14, and till just now I didn't realize it rolled over to page 15, sorry!

That A/C compressor came on the engine. When I bought this 3800, it came with everything, all accessories (Starter, A/C, ALternator ect), 4t65e-HD transmission and so on. I have yet to even look into getting the A/C working as far as hose couplers and such.... It really sucks, as I bought a brand new new A/C compressor for my 2.8. After charging the system, it only held for a day as I have a leak in the lines somewhere. Thus, the Compressor has about 2 hours use on it, and will not fir the 3800

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-25-2016).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just getting to walk out the door and head to the Daytona Show. Hope to see some of you there! It's just a 4 hour drive from here, so will be there in time to catch a ride over in a passenger seat of a Fiero from the Bet Western I hope

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2016 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alex, sorry, I did not see your post! I clicked the email link to view latest posts, and that was on page 14, and till just now I didn't realize it rolled over to page 15, sorry!

That A/C compressor came on the engine. When I bought this 3800, it came with everything, all accessories (Starter, A/C, ALternator ect), 4t65e-HD transmission and so on. I have yet to even look into getting the A/C working as far as hose couplers and such.... It really sucks, as I bought a brand new new A/C compressor for my 2.8. After charging the system, it only held for a day as I have a leak in the lines somewhere. Thus, the Compressor has about 2 hours use on it, and will not fir the 3800

Mako Hose & Rubber is the place I mentioned above. It looks like the whole engine was dropped at some point and caused the trany and compressor damage. I think using the 3800sc compressor will be easier and it is a better unit. It worked so nice on my car.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 03-28-2016).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mako Hoes & Rubber is the place I mentioned above.

LOL! That typo is just PRICELESS! I will check them out when I get ready to get the A/C set up.

Had a nice time at the Daytona Show yesterday! It was a much smaller turn out this year, as the show fell on Easter weekend.

Anyhow, I was able to get a few more brackets, pulleys and such painted today. I really hate painting all the small stuff!

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

No problem with the bell housing; not pretty, but not a big deal.

My take on it, as well.
Otherwise, I'm not sure about the lettering. If the trans came out of a running car, I wouldn't worry about it. (Assuming the drivetrain was removed from a wreck.)

Sucks about the A/C....

I'm wondering if the Fiero compressor couldn't be adapted, by swapping clutches. (I have no clue if it will. Just a thought.)
If the Fiero cmpressor is an HR6 (88 and just about all replacements for earlier compressors were HR6) it's probably worth considering.

Edit - I missed this last page, too. Missed that the Fiero compressor is a "no go".

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-27-2016).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2016 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
Edit - I missed this last page, too. Missed that the Fiero compressor is a "no go".

Glad I was not the only one. You also missed the sticker a few posts back that I found the transmission to be a rebuilt.

The mounts are totally different on the Fiero A/C compressor -vs- the one for the 3800.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today's project was painting the transmission. Mission Accomplished!

I am waiting for the complete gasket kit to get here, so I can start assembling the engine.

I still have to tackle:
- Exhaust
- Coolant hoses / lines
- Passenger side Axle
- TONS OF LITTLE STUFF!

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the Big Brown Truck came today

The complete gasket Kit I ordered for the L32 from Ebay ($135.00):

I received the new head bolts I ordered the other day. ($24.00)

I have read SO MANY threads, posts, articles and tutorials on how to assemble the passenger side axle. You need to purchase 3 separate axles, and assemble one axle from different parts of each of them. I decided to just order a completely built axle for the Passenger side today from Stephen Poe (stephen_poe at Hotmai|.com) AKA MstangsBware, (Here is his sale thread and info) and save myself a TON of aggravation. He charges $250 shipped.
(Google Image)

In all of my research, I think Pappy summed up the quest for a passenger side axle the best in a post on Central Florida Fieros Forum

The Passenger Side Axle

After many Beers, injured fingers, swearing and of course all that forgin GREASE We have AXLES!

Back story: I haven't been able to locate this Mythical Male Tripot that fits BOTH the 4T65E-HD and the Manual Fiero axle. I have searched 4 Pick and Pulls - From Melbourne up to Daytona and from Cocoa across to O'town(Orlando) - Through blazing sun, scorching heat, monsoon down pours and electro-magnetic high energy plasma storms. I have dragged my body parched and dehydrated over fields of toxic rubble, broken glass and sharp bits of metal. I've been bitten, sprayed and stung by the worst tempered creatures mother nature could muster to thwart my quest. I've climbed to the peaks of Razor Edged - Jagged Metal - Mountains in search of this illusive GTP Tulip to no avail - I was beaten. So today, broken I sat on the hot garage floor in the sweltering heat, surrounded by a plethora of GM Axles spanning 25 years and 5 different body styles. I found myself weeping like a little girl, the frail remnants of my once Fierce Herculean Physique and Drive all but forgotten...

Yep, that pretty much sums it up!

I hope to start putting the gaskets to good work this weekend.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That transmission looks awesome! Good job!
PFF
System Bot
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm about 2 weeks behind you, at least as far as paint goes. I'm waiting for the heads to be finished before I put the engine back together and paint it. Actually I'm content being just a bit behind you. That way you get to figure it all out the hard way and I get all the lessons learned!!
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

That transmission looks awesome! Good job!

Thanks.... it was a lot of spraying and scrubbing to prep it!

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:
Actually I'm content being just a bit behind you. That way you get to figure it all out the hard way and I get all the lessons learned!!

Hahah! After you get the engine painted, I am sure you will surge ahead, and I will get to follow along for a while

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-30-2016).]

Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2016 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a transmission yet, so that will be a big slow down.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have read SO MANY threads, posts, articles and tutorials on how to assemble the passenger side axle. You need to purchase 3 separate axles, and assemble one axle from different parts of each of them. I decided to just order a completely built axle for the Passenger side today from Stephen Poe (stephen_poe at Hotmai|.com) and save myself a TON of aggrivation. He charges $250 shipped.
(Google Image)

I would have done the same if available when I did mine. Between time spent, trips to auto parts and all the paper towels I used to clean the greasy mess job I probably spent the extra cost. I highly recommend this path. Now if someone would build/sell a nice exhaust then this swap could be a true bolt on.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The exhaust system is the next major thing on my list. I have three qualifications for it. One it must look good, two, I need to keep my trunk and three, I want it as quiet as possible. Sure, a little Rumble is fine, but I don't want a really loud drone while I'm driving down the highway.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The exhaust system is the next major thing on my list. I have three qualifications for it. One it must look good, two, I need to keep my trunk and three, I want it as quiet as possible. Sure, a little Rumble is fine, but I don't want a really loud drone while I'm driving down the highway.

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As soon as I saw this, I picked up the phone and called Alex (He lives 5 miles from me) I wanted to know what shop he went to, as I was going to take it there and have them repeat the exhaust set up. Come to find out, him and a friend did the exhaust some time ago, over the course of a few days, angling, cutting, welding, bending, re-bending ect.

He is getting me part number of that muffler, and with those pictures, I think I can get one of the shops around here to duplicate it. I have never welded before, and certainly do not own a welder. This is one thing I am definitely going to outsource.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 03-14-2018).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found out that somehow I overwrote over my 3800 swap log file when restoring some backup after a HD failure I had an Excel file with all parts and cost. Very valuable. But I'll find the part number.
Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2016 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That Transmission paint job looks great. I hope to be doing the same thing at some point soon. I could probably help you with that exhaust once my stuff is out of storage too I need to find the local supplier of argon and whatnot. I would probably try to make it entirely from stainless tube. We are in West Palm Beach now while we are house hunting.

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
CNC Machining and prototyping
Port St.Lucie, Florida
A&N Precision Machine on Facebook!

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Found out that somehow I overwrote over my 3800 swap log file when restoring some backup after a HD failure

Ouch!!!! That really sucks..... I am sorry to hear that. I am SO scared something like that will happen sometime, that I backup my stuff like that to my free space on Google Drive.

Originally posted by Pete Matos:
That Transmission paint job looks great. I hope to be doing the same thing at some point soon. I could probably help you with that exhaust once my stuff is out of storage too I need to find the local supplier of argon and whatnot. I would probably try to make it entirely from stainless tube. We are in West Palm Beach now while we are house hunting.
Pete

That sounds fantastic! I hope the house hunting is going well. If you need any information or help with something from a local, feel free to drop me a message on here or at my screen name here on the forum @gmail..com.

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Olejoedad just texted me another picture of an exhaust system. Very similar but it looks much easier to manufacture.
It uses a muffler from a Camaro.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found a gem for you. Couple videos too. Look here: Magnaflow 14277 install in a 3800sc by Alex4mula

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121048.html

PS: Picture above is not showing.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 03-31-2016).]

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you go on to the website frozen boost .com they have a selection of stainless steel bends and straight pipe in all kinds of sizes . Just buy the bends you need and take it to your exhaust guy to weld up to your muffler .All mandrel bent , in thick or thin stainless steel . I got the thick steel , even though it is heavier it is much easier to weld .My exhaust is minimal so the extra weight amounted to about 4 lbs .
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bends are also available from Jegs and Summit at better prices.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very cool... I have lots of info to get going on the exhaust system now! This is a part that I knew NOTHING about or where to even begin. I ordered a couple rolls of exhaust hi-temp wrap from Amazon today.

I also received another package in the mail today fierorog's motor and transmission mounts:

I started assembling the engine this afternoon, so far just the heads are on. I looked all over the place to get the torque specs for the head bolts, and found like 4 different contradictory ways of doing it. I got some advice in email on how to do it. I found a diagram of the order to tighten them in, and added the instructions for anyone else needing it:

I think the last major hurdle is going to be the water hose routing.... I will get caught up with everything else before I start to worry about that!

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2016 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That sounds fantastic! I hope the house hunting is going well. If you need any information or help with something from a local, feel free to drop me a message on here or at my screen name here on the forum @gmail..com.

Thanks man we have looked at a few so far not found the right one for us but there are many for sale. We are staying at my mom's Condo here in Lake Worth right now and will be until we find our new home. I really appreciate your offer. I would just like to see your build in person some time and maybe chat fiero's. Once I get settled in I am going to try to find a decent one to build myself. This build is looking pretty good man! Peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Port St.Lucie, Florida

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

We are staying at my mom's Condo here in Lake Worth right now...

SMALL World! I am actually in Lake Worth, and probably just a few minutes from you. I am close to the intersection of Haverhill Road and Lake Worth Road.

I stopped by the GM dealership today, in hopes of getting replacement bolts for the lower intake manifold, as I somehow seemed to have lost them. After looking at an exploded view of the engine, he determined they were 12 of them, and they were 5/16 x 18 and 1 & 1/4" long. They did not have them, but could order them, and have then by next Wednesday. Cost.... $5.76 EACH! That is correct $69.12 for the dozen bolts! I thanked him, and said I needed them this weekend to put an engine together.

I made a run to Home Depot, with my fingers crossed, and no luck... however the guy that was helping me was VERY knowledgeable about the bolts... Go Figure! He sent me to a place 20 minutes away called Florida Bolt. I explained to the guy what I needed, and he walked into the back room, and came out with a dozen grade "A" bolts in his hand. He punched at the computer and then simply said 254. I asked is that the price? He replied yes. I said $2.54 each... he then smiled and replied "No, that is your total for the 12 bolts with tax". Needless to say I was quite happy!

Sure, I know the dealership is high, but that is just ridiculous and should be illegal! $70.00 compared to $2.50......

Anyhow, I have a great new place to get bolts

I got a chance to get the heads bolted and torqued down last night. Today I put the lower intake manifold and valve covers on. I got my first look at how the colors are all going to look together.

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2016 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SMALL World! I am actually in Lake Worth, and probably just a few minutes from you. I am close to the intersection of Haverhill Road and Lake Worth Road.

Wow no kidding it is a small world. We are staying right near lake worth road LOL. I will PM you here and maybe we can get together sometime and have a drink or something....

Pete

------------------

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Port St.Lucie, Florida

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2016 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got a PM from Chuck (2002z28ssconv) and he tells me he has the A/C lines I need, Fantastic, I have not researched what all was needed, so that is a huge bonus. Chuck does custom A/C lines for the 3800 swaps, and you can find his mall thread here. He is one of the nicest and most honest vendors to ever grace these forums. I got a text from MstangsBware today saying he has the last part needed to assemble my axle, another plus! Lastly,g I finished painting most of the little parts for the engine today. Things are moving along nicely!

I just totally dread the day I have to take the 2.8 out, and try to put this all in! It is daunting to say the least!

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-28-2016).]

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2016 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I just read thru this entire thread last night when I got home. You really got put thru the ringer by the paint shop man jeez.... What a bunch of idiots. So pleased that it is finally looking like it is done and that you are putting the 3800 motor in there. This car looks like it will be sweet once it is up and running. Good luck with it. Hopefully I can get to see it in person at some point it looks like it is going to be really nice man.

Pete

------------------

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Port St.Lucie, Florida

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a bit more done on assembling the engine after work today. I installed FieroRog's lower alternator bracket, and combination idler pulley/dog bone mount. The fit and alignment was perfect, and simply inserted the bolts into existing holes on the engine, was less than a 10 minute process for both brackets, with the supplied bolts!

As a bonus, my nephew drove down from South Carolina were he is stationed in the Marines, and surprised me. He supervised while I put some of the parts on the engine. I got to go over and take pictures of his 3800 SC installed in his Impala for reference on putting my engine back together :-)

On a side note, I made sure to remove the paint on the block, and on the mount where they touch each other....(Thanks Raydar!) Also on the alternator as well where it touches the mount in 3 places, to ensure a good solid ground at multiple points.

I also installed the belt tensioner on the mount, and the new water pump (with a metal impeller).

Here is where the engine stands as of now: (No Pun Intended!)

It is finally starting to resemble an engine again, as I was so used to see it stripped down to just a block while I was cleaning, painting and ordering and waiting for parts to arrive.

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2016 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5181 posts
Member since May 2009
Double post.... Forum is acting up BAD this evening.... took me 20 minutes to keep trying to make the above post.....

It seems PFF is still under a DOS attack

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2016 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here is where the engine stands as of now:

It is finally starting to resemble an engine again, as I was so used to see it stripped down to just a block while I was cleaning, painting and ordering and waiting for parts to arrive.

That is beautiful man.
rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks great John, but shouldn't you reverse the valve covers?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rpro:

It looks great John, but shouldn't you reverse the valve covers?

I have gotten 4 PM's, an email and even a phone call about the Valve covers already! Wow..... Even with the low post count of comments, I guess a lot of others are watching this thread

I am keeping the valve cover placement as shown in the photo. I will remove the extension tube, and put the cap directly onto the valve cover. I am doing this to keep the "solid blue" valve cover towards the rear of the car, as it is just about the first thing you see when you open the deck-lid. I want it to look as uncluttered as possible. Yes, it is a little tight getting to the oil cap near the firewall, but something that is definitely tolerable. When oil is required, I have an abundance of funnels that will aid in adding oil with no problem at all.

I had one person tell me I would not be able to do it this way, that I had to have the oil cap on the "front" valve cover. Here are a few examples showing that it can be done this way

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 06-03-2018).]

ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

want to paint mine? ~

------------------
87 Fiero GT- 98 L67 swap - (SOLD)
88 Fiero Formula- L67 swap in progress
T-Top 672 of 1252

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ignorant prodigy:
want to paint mine? ~

Sure, bring it over next weekend

You know, it's kinda funny..... Ever since I was young and would see cars at car shows, it always mystified me how they could make an engine look so nice. Since getting My Fiero 6 years ago, it has been the same thing here on the forum. I would see all of these engines being rebuilt, and installed into cars, and just imagine what it would be like to have an engine that looked like that in my car! I know it sounds kinda crazy, but it was something that just seemed beyond a normal persons means doing something like that.

It was not till I decided to do the swap, that I decided I would start with the rough engine, and mount it to a stand, and figure it out. I started by taking tons of pictures of the "before" state, so I could reference them when I went to put things back together. Then I slowly just started taking anything that I could unbolt, off of the engine. I intended to clean, prep, sand, paint and clear each of the parts. I had parts everywhere, and was doing some of them in blue, some in black, and the majority in silver. It was not till just a few days ago, when I started putting it back together, that I stepped back and went "WOW that looks like the engines I have seen OTHER people do!" hahaah.

I have a long way to go, and am just taking my time and plugging away at it.

Oh, and in my ignorance and haste, I even have a beautifully cleaned, sanded and painted and cleared power steering pulley! LOL! ! ! ! !

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 04-09-2016).]

Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2016 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! I'm glad you're enjoying the process and sharing it all with us.

------------------
1988 GT
Medium Red Metallic
Manual, Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs & StuWipes
Frazee: 2011, 2014

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Motor looks great man!

Pete

------------------

Pete Matos
A&N Precision Machine
Port St.Lucie, Florida

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 28 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock