Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Magnaflow 14277 install in a 3800sc (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Magnaflow 14277 install in a 3800sc by Alex4mula
Started on: 02-09-2012 06:48 PM
Replies: 60 (5113 views)
Last post by: ltlgt88 on 04-13-2017 04:04 PM
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the Camaro unit I just finished on my GT. I have always liked the Magnaflow sound and quality and wanted something more on the quiet side for this car. The install is very very tight but doable. I had these tips which I liked more than the stock ones and I think they help a little too to quiet it down. The sound I think is great and exactly what I wanted. You get some bassy rumble at idle but cruising is on the quiet side. At WOT is noticeable but not look at me loud. And best of all it doesn't not sound ricey at all nor like a broken muffler like many chambered units. I will try to post a sound video soon.

In progress;

Finished at night;

On car;

What it replaced (came with car);

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed White: 3800SC auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1fatcat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice! Please post a sound clip/video.
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, good job!
I like Magnaflow sound/qualiy also, but never thought one would fit. Do you have a rear swaybar and what year did it go in? I was trying to figure out how to fit one but thought it was too thick to fit between my trunk/swaybar...
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2012 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice. I have a similar set-up but with a Dynomax. Fit without cutting the trunk.

[This message has been edited by fieroall (edited 07-10-2012).]

FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-09-2012 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Easier, cheaper, more freely flowing but not as quiet. Flowtech afterburner 50363FLT 3in 2.5 out

Your setup does look good and I'm sure it sounds great

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 02-09-2012).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

Easier, cheaper, more freely flowing but not as quiet. Flowtech afterburner 50363FLT 3in 2.5 out

Your setup does look good and I'm sure it sounds great

Easier/cheaper/louder yes. More free flowing? Not too sure. Yes there are a lot of smaller chambered mufflers out there that will fit much easier. But boy are they loud and raspy. My red car is super loud so I have enough of that. I just wanted to show that this is an option more for the sleeper than the flashy. The inside of the muffler is a straight thru design that splits in two. And this thing is built like a tank. It will last forever. Don't know how they can build them to sell so cheap.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the same muffler that we use on our swaps that gives it that European sound. The headers and the internal muffer mod we do makes a beautiful note.
Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

This is the same muffler that we use on our swaps that gives it that European sound. The headers and the internal muffer mod we do makes a beautiful note.
Dave

Example vid? I'm intrigued...
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dave

OH, I remember that video, it did sound nice! Is that exhaust something your going to offer or maybe give the build specs to?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheRealShadowX:

Example vid? I'm intrigued...

I am pretty sure this is the video:

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2012 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I am pretty sure this is the video:

WOW!! That sounds very good!! I sure hope my Corsa sounds like this!!
Are there any driving videos?

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 02-10-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post02-11-2012 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The flowtech is a well built muffler, I've cut a couple apart. I'll try and find the pics

It's also 3" to 2.5
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2012 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is the video....We also used that muffler on Michael's 3800 turbo (Project CR3810N). We left the internal mod out on that setup and the car sounds stunning. I'd recommend this muffler to anyone. It is stainless steel and will probably outlast the engine. I also run it on my VR6. I don't have it installed on my 3800 because I wanted a different sound.
Not to hijack this thread, I just think that the Magnaflow gives the 3800 a nice sound especially when matched with a nice set of headers.
Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 02-11-2012).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2012 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not to hijack this thread, I just think that the Magnaflow gives the 3800 a nice sound especially when matched with a nice set of headers.
Dave

No hijack as we are talking about the same muffler and I do agree it sounds very nice.
akademikjeanius

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2012 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

OH, I remember that video, it did sound nice! Is that exhaust something your going to offer or maybe give the build specs to?

+1

If an angel ran off of 10w30 and could do 0-60 in 5 seconds, THIS is what she'd sound like.....

[This message has been edited by akademikjeanius (edited 02-11-2012).]

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the video. Still only. Sorry. Later I'll see how I can attach the camera to get a running one.

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

Here is the video. Still only. Sorry. Later I'll see how I can attach the camera to get a running one.

Sounds good! I imagine you took that video in the past couple days. Your video reminded me of a question I have been asking myself forever...

Why do I still live in Minnesota!

------------------
87 Formula Clone, 3800SC, 3.4 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, 12.98 at 103.4 1/4 mile, Regal GS Gauge Cluster, S-10 Brake Booster Upgrade.

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

Sounds good! I imagine you took that video in the past couple days. Your video reminded me of a question I have been asking myself forever...

Why do I still live in Minnesota!

Took it today. Was on the cool side here in the high 60s
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2012 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dave

Do you have a video of that? I would love to hear the sound.

Also a general question for this thread: Can you compare Magnaflow to Borla? I had a Borla exhaust on my Mazda and loved the sound, but I never heard a Magnaflow on that same car.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:
Can you compare Magnaflow to Borla?

Yes, They are similar. Magnaflow, like Borla makes all of their mufflers from 304 stainless. Unlike Borla, they use a mix of tubing for their systems - some is 304, some is 409. Borla only uses 304 for all their "parts". Magnaflow is similar to Borla in that they go for a throaty rumbling sound, but they are completely tolerable even at WOT. Flowmaster on the other hand tends to be louder under all conditions.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

.. Magnaflow is similar to Borla in that they go for a throaty rumbling sound, but they are completely tolerable even at WOT. Flowmaster on the other hand tends to be louder under all conditions.

Definitely agree with that. I used to have the Fiero Borla version on my red car when it had the 3.4 and sound was similar.
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2012 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Definitely agree with that. I used to have the Fiero Borla version on my red car when it had the 3.4 and sound was similar.

Does anyone have a soundclip of a Fiero Borla exhaust. I was always curious what that sounds like.

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you have a video of that? I would love to hear the sound.

Also a general question for this thread: Can you compare Magnaflow to Borla? I had a Borla exhaust on my Mazda and loved the sound, but I never heard a Magnaflow on that same car.

I'll get some videos this spring when the owner brings his car out for the Spring freshening.
Dave
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2012 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Does anyone have a soundclip of a Fiero Borla exhaust. I was always curious what that sounds like.

is this what youre looking for?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
americasfuture2k, is that Borla?

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k, is that Borla?

I can see the video title says Borla.

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 07-08-2012).]

Joseph Upson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2012 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the Camaro unit I just finished on my GT. I have always liked the Magnaflow sound and quality and wanted something more on the quiet side for this car. The install is very very tight but doable. I had these tips which I liked more than the stock ones and I think they help a little too to quiet it down. The sound I think is great and exactly what I wanted. You get some bassy rumble at idle but cruising is on the quiet side. At WOT is noticeable but not look at me loud. And best of all it doesn't not sound ricey at all nor like a broken muffler like many chambered units. I will try to post a sound video soon.

Is there not a Third Gen (I believe) version which offsets the inlet and places the outlets in the same location on both sides? It would make the install more uniform by eliminating the routing of one tail pipe under the muffler across to the other side for those wanting to duplicate the install if there's room. From what I recall on my old F body, the arrangement had the exhaust pipe go up over the passenger side tailpipe and into the muffler which is characteristic of how the OE Fiero muffler is arranged only the exhaust pipe goes underneath and enters at the bottom.

Sounds good.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Joseph Upson:

Is there not a Third Gen (I believe) version which offsets the inlet and places the outlets in the same location on both sides? It would make the install more uniform by eliminating the routing of one tail pipe under the muffler across to the other side for those wanting to duplicate the install if there's room. From what I recall on my old F body, the arrangement had the exhaust pipe go up over the passenger side tailpipe and into the muffler which is characteristic of how the OE Fiero muffler is arranged only the exhaust pipe goes underneath and enters at the bottom.

Sounds good.

Yes I have seen that but if I recall correctly the muffler is like 18" wide and that is the problem. This one is 14" wide and why it fits.
ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes I have seen that but if I recall correctly the muffler is like 18" wide and that is the problem. This one is 14" wide and why it fits.

Ya, I agree... I was trying to figure a way to get that Magnaflow 18" long muffler to fit. I measured every which way and could not get it in there w/o trunk modification. The bottom portion of the trunk would have to be made thinner by a couple inches. This was on an 88 w/ rear swaybar... Also the input elbow would be an issue as well if running the exhaust in the stock location; as you would not have enough room to make the bend...
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Ya, I agree... I was trying to figure a way to get that Magnaflow 18" long muffler to fit. I measured every which way and could not get it in there w/o trunk modification. The bottom portion of the trunk would have to be made thinner by a couple inches. This was on an 88 w/ rear swaybar... Also the input elbow would be an issue as well if running the exhaust in the stock location; as you would not have enough room to make the bend...

You can make it fit by reworking the rear crossmember of the cradle - my car is an 88 with rear sway bar, the 18" long muffler and a stock truck:

ALJR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2012 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

You can make it fit by reworking the rear crossmember of the cradle - my car is an 88 with rear sway bar, the 18" long muffler and a stock truck:

Its funny you mention that as that is one of the things I was considering. Although I was trying to find an "easy" way to raise that crossmember up higher so the muffler would not be as visable from the rear...
PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That can't be a Borla exhaust. It sounds like crap. Either the video is low quality, or something else is wrong. I had a Borla on my Mazda and it sounded beautiful.

lateFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2012 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had my eyes on that Magnaflow 14" muffler like what Alex used. I wish one of the Fiero vendors would make OE style cat back systems with that muffler, 304 stainless tubing, and all the correct spring perches.
akademikjeanius

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for akademikjeaniusSend a Private Message to akademikjeaniusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm about to order the Magnaflow. Just want to make sure I got the right one....

Is this it?

[This message has been edited by akademikjeanius (edited 03-31-2012).]

FieroFERG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFERGSend a Private Message to FieroFERGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex, explain to me in lamen terms how to get this set up, cuz I hate the way my 3800sc sounds... It seriously souds like crap...
FieroFERG

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2012 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFERGSend a Private Message to FieroFERGEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFERG

129 posts
Member since Mar 2012
I think mine is spyntech...
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFERG:

Alex, explain to me in lamen terms how to get this set up, cuz I hate the way my 3800sc sounds... It seriously souds like crap...

+1000. This is the only 3800SC I like the sound of. Previously I wasn't paying much attention to 3800SC's, or SC's in general. This car changed my mind.
*bump* for more sound clips.
XgovernmentAgent

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2012 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

+1000. This is the only 3800SC I like the sound of. Previously I wasn't paying much attention to 3800SC's, or SC's in general. This car changed my mind.
*bump* for more sound clips.

preferably under load
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got this video coming from Daytona. You can get a glimpse at WOT but not as long as I wished. Still some. Sounds about the same when done for longer. I don't like it but can't ask much to these 3800s. Sounds much better cruising (non WOT) as it sounds like in the previous video.

spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well still has that meh sounds of a 3800 BUT not as much of that terrible rasp that just kills it lol. Overall when i start getting my swap together this is the setup im going with!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock