Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Magnaflow 14277 install in a 3800sc (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Magnaflow 14277 install in a 3800sc by Alex4mula
Started on: 02-09-2012 06:48 PM
Replies: 60 (5115 views)
Last post by: ltlgt88 on 04-13-2017 04:04 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2012 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

Easier, cheaper, more freely flowing but not as quiet. Flowtech afterburner 50363FLT 3in 2.5 out

Your setup does look good and I'm sure it sounds great

That's exactly what I fabricated(3" In dual 2.5" out) but added two sets of Heddman Hot tips resonators where the old trumpets sat. Looks good with the four pipes coming out the bottom and its a bit easier on the ears. Those Flotechs fit perfect and flow well but they do roar.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '88 formula I bought has a Spyntech on it. I don't mind the way it sounds from outside the car but inside it just drones. Don't like THAT at all.
So I've ordered this Magnaflow to put on it.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Magnaflow is probably a very good muffler, but I don't see how some guys claim to mount this 18" long muffler with it's attached pipe without cutting the trunk , modifying the cradle or hanging it below the cradle bottom. IIRC Bmwguru came up with a trunk modification to use it and I can understand that. Others have cut the trunk and I can understand that too, that is ,if the trunk is unimportant to you.
Until someone proves otherwise I will continue to believe that one of the three mods mentioned is necessary to install this muffler in a Fiero. While I am not crazy about the Flotech Afterburner 3" in 2.5" out crossflow and the sound that I have, it does fit perfectly. The Afterburner is 14" L while the original Fiero muffler is only about a foot long and the Magnaflow like the Flowmaster is 18" L. That's big for the space that the Fiero dedicates for a muffler.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The V6 F-body Magnaflow is 14" long.

The V8 F-body Magnaflow is 18" long.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I am pretty sure this is the video:

That is hands down the best sounding 3800 I've ever heard. Just that exhaust change is enough to make me reconsider a 3800 as a potential swap. I've always liked the engine, but can't stand the exhaust note on most I've heard.

Dave, have you used that modded muffler on a stock 2.8? I'd be interested to see how it sounds.
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm hoping someone at Magnaflow sees this and sends me a free muffler for this post

Magnaflow 14277 examples that I have built.

Volkswagen VR6 Fiero

3800s/c. series III. 3.4" pulley, Northstar TB, 1.9 rocker arms, unequal length headers and muffler inlet mod with added baffle.

Here is a later video of that same car with short stack intercooler and 3.25" pulley drop added..

Magnaflow 14267 examples that I have built

Series III, 3.0" pulley, 77mm Northstar TB, XP hot cam, ZZPstage III ported heads, unequal length headers, methanol injection. Currently 2.8" pulley: no video yet.

Series II, 3.25" pulley, Northstar TB, 1.84 rocker arms, unequal length headers. Currently added 105lb valve springs, 3.0" pulley and methanol injection.

There are a few more that I have built using those two mufflers. Sabooo's uses the 14267. Michael's turbo 3800 uses the 14277. Typically, I will use one or the other depending on customer preference. It is one of the few stainless steel mufflers made that fit nicely.
I've run others and some sound just horrible. Keep in mind that the supporting mods will drastically change your exhaust note as well.

Dave
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2012 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

The V6 F-body Magnaflow is 14" long.

OK its 14" L but I still don't see how this muffler can be mounted without trunk mods or without having it hang below the cradle. My Flotech Afterburner just clears the bottom edge of the cradle. Look at alex4mulas next to last picture and you can clearly see the crossover pipe below the muffler hanging very low to the ground and below the facia. Go over any incline in the road or hit a speed bump and you'll have problems. Heck I'd love to try this muffler but the fit just doesn't seem like it will work without cradle or trunk mods.
Am I wrong about this??

UPDATE: Did more research on the Magnaflow V6 Camaro Crossflow muffler. It may sound nice but its a difficult fit AND I also discovered that it only has a 2" core
After finding out about the 2" core I scrapped the idea of trying this muffler. In contrast the afterburner that I use has a full 3" inlet and core. The oulets have a full 2 1/2" core and outlet sizes. Its far less restrictive than the Magnaflow which I believe causes you to lose valuable horsepower but I am sure that it produces a better sound.
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-16-2012).]

spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2012 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey I got my muffler in and the guy who is going to help me finish my exhaust was wondering what the bend radious is coming off the muffler going towards the drivers side is.
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Hell Yes! Love Motley Crue!

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bend radius is too tight to make, so that is a stamped pressed bend....basically two halves welded together.

....and Crue is still my favorite band I was supposed to open for them at the PNC Bank Arts Center back in the day.

Dave
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....and Crue is still my favorite band I was supposed to open for them at the PNC Bank Arts Center back in the day.
Dave

Nice! I love the Theater of Pain album. I know Motley Crue music is part of what makes me love the movie Hot Tub Time Machine.

Funny, the Crue lineup playing constantly in my car is:
01 Live Wire
02 Shout At The Devil
03 City Boy Blues
04 Smokin' In The Boys R
05 Louder Than Hell
06 Keep Your Eye On The Money
07 Home Sweet Home
08 Tonight (We Need A Lover)
09 Use It Or Lose It
10 Save Our Souls
11 Raise Your Hands To Rock
12 Fight For Your Rights
13 Wild Side
14 Girls, Girls, Girls
15 Dr. Feelgood
16 Kickstart My Heart
17 Same Ol' Situation [S.O.S.]
18 Don't Go Away Mad [Just Go Away]

Unless my daughters Disney music is playing... You tune some music out, and I can't tell you how many times I have gone through a drive thru with Lion King playing and getting that funny "WTF" look...

But now I have taken this off topic...
-Brian

[This message has been edited by MulletproofMonk (edited 08-16-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
spartan_chaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2012 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spartan_chazSend a Private Message to spartan_chazEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok so the two pieces i would need to use to replicate this exhaust. Would i be able to get them easily say at the local auto parts store and/or exhaust shop?
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2012 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I am pretty sure this is the video:

Sounds Beautiful. I want.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2012 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to completely hijack but anybody use 2 bullet mufflers? I know lildevil did anybody else?

------------------
86 Fiero SS project soon to tear up the street, She also aswers to "Lola".

XgovernmentAgent

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2013 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XgovernmentAgentSend a Private Message to XgovernmentAgentEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is that a AO symbol I see there?
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ended up using a "stock" muffler for a 1995 Trans Am. had to cut the bottom off the trunk, but it sounds great !
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

ended up using a "stock" muffler for a 1995 Trans Am. had to cut the bottom off the trunk, but it sounds great !

I have a 95 Camaro muffler (same thing) and it sounds very quiet - which is exactly what I was looking for.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unequal length headers...
Dave

Is this key to that sound?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Is this key to that sound?

The headers definitely change the sound. My 3800 didn't sound as nice until the headers were installed. I absolutely love the sound of the exhaust.

Dave
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

That's exactly what I fabricated(3" In dual 2.5" out) but added two sets of Heddman Hot tips resonators where the old trumpets sat. Looks good with the four pipes coming out the bottom and its a bit easier on the ears. Those Flotechs fit perfect and flow well but they do roar.

Same here. Flowtech muffler with Hooker resonators on my Indy SD4.
This pic shows how close the size muffler is to stock.

Also found a similar sized muffler we hadn't seen before - 4" x 9.75" Oval - 13" Body x 18.5" Overall
http://www.fullboarperforma...e%2C-Power%2C/Detail

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-04-2014).]

ltlgt88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2017 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlgt88Send a Private Message to ltlgt88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alex do you have post how your exhaust actual fits in the car?
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay