Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 23)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1028021 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
michhiker28

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A new story from themarysue
http://www.themarysue.com/kathryn-dimaria/

We are getting ready to head to go do some welding and maybe some suspension work...4 hours of fun coming up! Wish us luck, we'll report back soon.

-MH
IP: Logged
datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

FYI I'm not so sure that I'd like to be reminded of so many hours I wasted sanding on my car

A *WELL* prepped body before paint is NEVER wasted effort
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Congrats on making the front page of CNN!!!!

That is an awsome write up!
Gene1000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gene1000Send a Private Message to Gene1000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An amazing journey!
Like you, my father also bought me an old car so I could learn about mechanics. In my case, it was a junk 1941 Plymouth. I took that thing apart twice and reassembled it. Ran it in the woods behind our home because I was too young to have a license. I learned a lot with that car.

I eventually wound up buying two Fiero GTs. Fell in love with the car as soon as I saw one. I have a mint 1988 GT and a mint 1987 GT. My avatar shows the '87. Runs great and I take it to local car shows.

Best of luck completing your project and thanks for keeping us updated.
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Girl, it would be a shame to lose that car to a wreck when you start driving. One of the best things you can do when you are just starting out is to go to "A" ( one ) auto cross/solo 2 race. Drivers ED will not teach you how the car handles when the tires are sliding. You never know what the fools in the next lane are going to do. Last week I passed a fool that was doing 30 mph on the interstate. On his roof ! He was getting some help from a truck. When "stuff" is going down around you is not the time to learn what happens when you yank the wheel. Work on your dad, mabe he will let you autocross a vet. I made my son type the whole drivers manual into the computer before he got to start driving. After he was driving I made him drive my V8 fiero at a solo 2 race. I made him take his Z/28 to the dragstrip. At both place's you have to go by the rules, I wanted him to learn that. I made him use the seat belts for every body in the car. He totaled it. He, and his GF, and her little brother were fine. they got hit, hard, at low speed. But they lived to drive another day. I hope you get to drive it, and enjoy it, before you get out of high school. I enjoy working with my son, on our cars. I didn't get to do that with my father. I didn't get to do silly things with him ether. But i do with my son. You can see us, being silly, on youtube, in " chevy V8 fiero-3"

nice job.
manta64

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for manta64Send a Private Message to manta64Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice job young lady keep up the good work!
Hauptmann6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hauptmann6Send a Private Message to Hauptmann6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That good advice about the AutoXing. I also agree with the person who said to turbo it and not spray. Turbos are full time and can be detuned till you get used to driving it. Happy gas can cause problems and I would hate to see a rod dent your hood(that would mean more sanding)

Very impressive project! I hope I run into you guys when I am up visiting my parents in a couple years. I would love to see it in person.

How do you stay so darn clean? If I even check my oil I get my shirt dirty!!!

[This message has been edited by Hauptmann6 (edited 10-25-2012).]

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To Kathryn and Family Congrats on both of the most recent publications. If you already haven't done so, you should start a 3 Ring Binder on major bullet points of this project, from start to finish. The Binder could go with the car to future Car Shows for display. Digital backup of all build documentation would be a good idea as well.

It's great to see all of you creating some very good reading material for us Car Enthusiasts.

------------------

Car History: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025670.html

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL! I'm going to have to let Kathryn share with you something she "found" while working on the car last night...It's quite humorous, but I don't want to spoil her fun.

-MH
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So with that great way to end a post I'm surprised that some of you haven't been trying to get it out of him. Firstly I will share what was accomplished and what should have been. I got all of the old sound barrier stuff out and I am calling it "stuff" for a reason. It looked like something had died in it or something...*shudder*. Also I gave my Dad a turn with the welder so the frame rails are at about the same place in the process as the each other for the moment. And we were trying to get that motor out....the one located in the trunk area....keeps the car from overheating...uggg can't remember what it's called so anyway we discovered that we had welded over a hole that was SUPPOSED to be there.....and now we have to figure out how to get the last bolt out now. I think we've figured out how to do it though....hopefully And now last but now least you need to know about what I "found" in the trunk of my car. I found it because I was in the trunk and was trying to get the before-mentioned motor out. And there was the piece of thick sheet metal that was loose in the trunk and it was pure black, so of course I picked it up and turned it over, and it looked to be part of an old sign or something. So I asked "what is this for? is it important?" But in reality it wasn't important and it was the last owners solution to a giant hole in his trunk.
-kathryn
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kathryn

197 posts
Member since Jun 2011
Hey everyone,
just another quick update, tonight my Dad and I got the 3.4 liter V6 into our basement and it is way heavier then it looks....believe me. So I have just finished learning how to check the wear and tolerances between the pistons and cylinders. So I have also learned how to use micrometers and telescope gauges.
-kathryn
PFF
System Bot
mrvids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem as a previous member, after reading Nellie's post the screen got a little harder to read.

Kathryn, each weld is looking better than the one before it, so it shows you're learning. Yet another skill to add to your portfolio.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like autoblog.com picked up on the story

http://www.autoblog.com/201...lding-pontiac-fiero/

which is kind of funny since the publicity/media attention started with a story on its rival jalopnik.com .

Its great to see how big the story has become. Looking forward to meeting Kathryn and her dad at the Tyler Shipman show next summer.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8 aka (Hat tip to Mr. J. Jones!)
http://jalopnik.com/5901950...or-her-sweet-sixteen
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 10-26-2012).]

Dinan E93

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2012 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dinan E93Send a Private Message to Dinan E93Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn and Dad - I found this forum due to the recent publicity of the CNN article. As I love all things car...I read this thread from beginning to end in one sitting. It reads like a well scripted novel - always leaving the reader wanting for more! As this thread provides a window into the last two years of your life, I found myself laughing mostly at the challenges and frustrations this type of project often provides to owners, but also wiping away a few tears at the overwhelming support and sense of community that has embraced your dedication to this project. While I do not own a Fiero, I have a dear friend who owned a 88 and thought it was the "The Bomb" as he often said back then! Your story is truly one of a kind and I felt compelled to reach out to you and express how much I appreciate the opportunity to read about you. I will continue to follow this thread and wish you all the best. Sincerely - Rob McFarland

P.S. Someone mentioned Overhaulin and Chip Foose about midway through this thread. I completely agree that you should not let them work on your car as you seem to making fine progress on your own; HOWEVER - Chip Foose should add you to his A Team for a surprise build on an unsuspecting Fiero owner...just a thought!
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My friend sent a link to me on my facebook from another forum site that is quite popular, ever heard of reddit?

Kathryn, you are everywhere, and you are doing an amazing job with the publicity you are getting in setting an example for others to follow.

My best goes to you and your father on your Fiero. Keep it up! I am confident in saying that I and many others are watching and waiting for the day you will have it all together.
Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also just had a link sent to me on FB of the CNN.com video.

Rich
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn are you going to keep the sign from your trunk hidden away or will you photograph it and post it so the world can see?
(Grin)
You could always auction it in twenty years... ("From your early years")
Might bring in good money if you reveal it for the world to see!
Enquiring minds want to know...

~Zep
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, a bit of an adventure today. We had a visit from some friends in California who flew in expressely to spent the weekend with Kathryn. They are filming and producing video profiles of kids that are involved in projects that facilitate learning in non-traditional, outside of the classroom ways. They felt that this project represented that type of learning and so spent the day with Kathryn filming, talking and learning more about how she learns. I'm sure she will tell you more of the details. She had a great time. When it is all done, the profile will appear on edutopia.org as well as PBS. We have seen some of the work this crew has done with other stories and they are awesome! I'm sure Kathryn will also update you on some of the work she got done this weekend as well: some engine progress, some more cutting and welding.

I know earlier she also updated you on the fact that a big hole was being plugged by what looks to be part of an old metal sign. To me it looks like it might have been part of a caterpillar sign. We decided to share a photo with you all...lol!

-MH
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is nice to see that you are keeping up on the good work Kathryn. It is really fun to see your progress and to see how other people all over the world are not enthralled with you and your work. I can't wait to meet you and your dad some day.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone.
So today I did just a little bit of a few things. Like checking tolerances on my engine to welding and cutting some more stuff. I will be on tomorrow to post pictures and to give a more specific update. Also I managed to just have a lot of fun today.

------------------
~grease is my makeup~

Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn
That sig line is fitting for you! Even though we have never seen you greasy!
PFF
System Bot
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn,
Had to show this to my son who went to UTI. He's 20 now and he's jealous of YOU! Keep up the great work and I look forward to your success

~Trevor
1986 Fiero SE
V-6. TH125. Lovin' the sound...

[This message has been edited by bulldog85043 (edited 10-28-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 08:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mwzephyr, we posted the photo of the sign for you! Check up above. As we are typing this the film crew is setting up the lights and cameras to watch Kathryn interact with all of you on the forum. Kind of fun, since they have all the fun directing, but Kathryn and I can still have our own little secrets from them even when it is all being recorded on film at the same time! She is absolutely cracking up!!!!

-MH and Kathryn!

(no grease though....where's the fun in that?

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michhiker28

313 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Here are some of the photos from yesterday. I'm sure Kathryn will comment soon:

Here is the new piece of metal in where the battery box was. We also have a new battery box to put in once the metal work is done.

Here is the firewall stripped of insulation:

and the finished frame rail

and her film crew from yesterday Steve and Vanessa

More soon

-MH

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,
My Dad just finished uploading some photos to the forum so here are some explanations. In the first few photos it's showing the newly placed sheet metal that is going to form an area for the new battery box. It took a while to get better at it again but at least it stuck....
And then the other day I was working on stripping the firewall of all the insulation, and so I got a lot of fiberglass like substances all over me. It felt like when I was picking peaches so I was itching my arms for ages!!! But fortunately there wasn't a lot of hidden rust, so not too much to fix thankfully.
Then I had been working on Thursday to do some more work on the frame rails, please ignore the camera dates we were using my sisters camera and they are all messed up. So now mostly the outside edge and the top of the frame rails are now completed.
In the last few photos it's our tradition now to get a group photo of me and the crew.... so left to right it's Steve, Me and Vanessa. We had a lot of fun and managed to do some pretty interesting stuff.
Thank you everyone for continuing to follow my progress and for all the encouragement suggestions and support.
-kathryn
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn, now I can sleep at night knowing what the secret sign was. (sigh)
Yellow and black... portentous of great things I think! (wink)
Keep up the good work!
We're looking for updates on what you've found on your motor soon.
Have fun !
as always~Zep
Zandebar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2012 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZandebarSend a Private Message to ZandebarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Breathe…..Breathe……PHEW!!!!!....... Finally got to the end on this Totally Amazing Heart Warming story; about a young lady and her Fiero. I have been captivated on a journey of human inspiration, dedication, education and above all the LOVE of this forum and the community it contains.

For me it all started a few days ago when the story broke on CNN, you guys were posting links, Cliffe was sweating (OK maybe not, bet he’s loving his rankings/stats). I was heading to bed in the UK with my phone at hand checking out the tech pages on CNN mobile app. When I start reading Kathryn’s remarkable story, I kid you not I was crying like a baby whilst reading, with happy tears rolling down my face. I am so relieved that I wasn’t the only one.

I just had to check the forum out, it’s taken me a few days on and off to get through it all. WOW, WOW and WOW again. I just had to stop by once I had completed the readathon, lol and say a few things. I clicked on every link, watched every video, listen to the audio cast and read every post. Btw some of those TV links don’t work anymore or at least outside the US.

I don’t want to repeat some of whats gone before, lets just forget just for one moment the family who started this thread. And think about you the forums members, in my humble opinion you are as just as Amazing as Kathryn. Total strangers getting behind this young lady’s project: Going beyond where no forum has gone before, people you should be very proud of yourselves, your values – you too are an inspiration to us all. A-A-Amazing!!!! Simple AS!

A roll call:- datacop, ALJR, fierofool, nitroheadz28, blackrams, Hélène & Danyel (aka black widow), FieroFiberglass (JimmyS), Rodney Dickmans, Synthesis, Guys at 3M and the former employee.

HATs off and I bow my head to you all, its people like you who have restored my faith in the human race, creating a warm glow in people’s hearts and minds. You’re an inspiration too! Its what people do when they don't have to, that really touches me and brings a tear.

The rest of you know who you are, you have stop by and said kind words and inspiring a younger generation, your simply amazing!

Reading back there are a couple of posts that really summed up a few things hence not to repeat too much, I echo them and all of those kind words towards Kathryn and her astonishing family:-

DirtySouthTV - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/085309-15.html

Mwzephyr - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/085309-19.html

You're all Kathryn's Petroleum, the embodiment of this amazing story, be proud hold your head up high.

Then there’s the family itself, a fabulous Mom, Dad, Sisters a TOTALLY amazing grandparents who have passed on their wisdom and uncle Bob…….. Who's the whole project lynch pin, everybody needs an uncle Bob!!!!

I’ve taken up a large thread, but I will post again can’t hog the thread too much theres updates to be had ;-) Amazing!

Goodbye until the next time from the UK, I believe I am the first post from the land of blighty, sadly lacking in Fiero's.....

OH! and for those of you that are HIT counting, it's reached half a million ! Another snap shot in time for you.

12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28 Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM Replies : 906 (502288 views)

[This message has been edited by Zandebar (edited 10-29-2012).]

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Zandebar!
Ownership of a fiero could be arranged I am sure.
Check with the senior members, parts can be shipped or mailed...
"Part of the month club', just like 'Radar O'Riley' from the tv series "Mash"...
Who says we can't mail you a Fiero (jeep) piece by piece.
(BIG GRIN)
Alex in Russia is rebuilding one it... You can do it too.
Fieros don't die, they just morph into the owner's dream!

~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 10-29-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Kathryn, I'm on the West Coast, but I keep reading about this Sandy storm, I hope you hunker down and keep safe.

Hope everyone on the East Coast keeps safe, I don't think we have ever lost a Fiero owner to a storm, but I knew we have lost several good Fiero's due to bad weather. Katrina for one.

I have 2 daughters one that is 3 years old and one that is 11 days old. I hope both of them get as addicted to Fiero's as you did. I'll be teaching them as soon as they can hold a wrench without trying to use it as a drum stick to beat on things.

Congrats on all the Media attention, I hope you are loving it. Just don't let it take too much time away from School and Fiero work.

David

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by mwzephyr:

Welcome Zandebar!
Ownership of a Fiero could be arranged I am sure.
Check with the senior members, parts can be shipped or mailed...
"Part of the month club', just like 'Radar O'Riley' from the TV series "Mash"...
Who says we can't mail you a Fiero (jeep) piece by piece.
(BIG GRIN)
Alex in Russia is rebuilding one it... You can do it too.
Fiero's don't die, they just morph into the owner's dream!

~Zep

I know there are at least a few Fiero's down under. (we are taking Australia right?) I have seen several threads on Right Hand Drive Conversions. There are also several that have been shipped the other way and landed in Europe. Its considered a costly import, but still pretty cool.
Oramac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OramacSend a Private Message to OramacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Just wow. I had to make an account just to show my support and appreciation for what you both are doing. My dad and I started a few restorations ourselves a few years back (I was 16 though, not 12!), and yours is a truly inspirational story. We restored a 76 Corvette (MH I'm sure you know the pain of interior work on those!) and my 68 Camaro. Honestly, I've never been a huge Fiero fan, but I am a fan of people following their vision and dreams.

@Kathryn: Your build here is an amazing inspiration. You obviously have a very clear vision of where you want the car to be. Once it's done, please don't stop following your vision and dreams! You keep this up and you'll be a truly successful person!

@MH: I know the plan is already set, but I want to throw out a meaningless vote for more power. I can tell you from experience that being able to handle high horsepower is far less about driving skill (which can be learned) than it is about maturity (which cannot be learned). I started with small-block chevys at 16 and had one as my daily driver from 18 on up, and I have to say from what I've read here, Kathryn clearly has the maturity to handle the extra power, should it become an option.

Thank you both for such an inspirational and educational story! Please keep it up. I look forward to seeing the finished car!!
PFF
System Bot
Cliffy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CliffySend a Private Message to CliffyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Kathryn,

I saw this on Autoblog Friday, thought this looks cool and followed the links to this site. Once I got home and started reading this, I couldn't stop. I think what you are doing is amazing. My 7 yr old daughter thinks it's cool also. She was looking at all the pics of you working. As I read the posts I found myself wiping a tear away a few times. I think the love and support from your family is absolutly incredible. This also includes this extended family from this forum, the members here on this post seem incredible. you guys and gilrs are great, the love and support you are showing is incredible. I am a member of several automotive forums, and what i was amazed at while reading this was in 23 pages, I have not seem one negative, or trolling comment. not one. all have been positive. I started an account just to follow this story. I'm a service manager for a Cadillac dealer in Toledo, OH. I am sure I am not the only one here who could help, but if you need any help with GM parts, please by all means let me know. Keep up the great work.
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I have 2 daughters one that is 3 years old and one that is 11 days old. I hope both of them get as addicted to Fiero's as you did.

Whichever daughter you used for your avatar should be a sure thing.
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carnut122:

Whichever daughter you used for your avatar should be a sure thing.

LOL! I hadn't thought of the avatar! Love it.

-MH
mrvids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2012 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We'll soon measure time on this site by " I was posting on the michhiker28 forum about Kathryn when it only page 9...and it's now over 200 pages."
bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn.
I'd like to donate a little something that I think yu might enjoy on the fenders of your car.

The "Traditional" Pegasus

or

Both the images are ctsy Fierosails.com and I'm wanting to send you a free pair of the yellow/black pair of your style choosing.
Please let me know what kind you would lile and I'll have the folks at Fierosails.comcontact you for shipping instructions.

Trevor

------------------
~Trevor
1986 Fiero SE
V-6. TH125. Lovin' the sound...

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How has this thread not made it to the Construction Zone yet?

I vote it be moved.

Certainly deserving at this point, as I'm sure we can all agree.

------------------

bulldog85043

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think Cliff is reluctant because there are so many external limks pointed to this thread...
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think Cliff is reluctant because there are so many external limks pointed to this thread...

This thread does not just have national attention , nor does it just attract Fiero afficianadoes, it also has world-wide attention
and the ball seems to just have started rolling faster...
It would be easier to find in the construction zone for those of us who follow it daily,
but it would be much harder to find for regular folks who just want to encourage Kathryn.
The external links are so many now, it might just discourage those who would want to voice their congratulations
and who also might have Fieros and just heard of the forum.

Great job by the way Cliff for keeping the traffic passing thru without the usual speed bumps.(grin)

I vote Cliff knows best, he has been doing this since wayyyyyyyyy back.
just my two bits...
(Salute')

~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 10-30-2012).]

Zandebar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2012 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZandebarSend a Private Message to ZandebarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Greetings from the UK again.......

It’s a tough call on Cliff with this thread; he’s right to keep it right here. X2

If you look from the start it was about a Super Cool Dad with a Super Cool Daughter, as michhiker28 (MH) was going supernova he just had to share this with the forum without realizing this would go nationally and then to the WORLD!!!

All this from a very proud Dad, looking at the pics and footage, he’s like a volcano erupting with delight for his daughter. The thing is you don’t often see this in parents, its truly special, am not saying that parents (general) don’t love their children. Most parents like to boast, brag and big up their children amongst day to day life. This goes up a few notches from that, what they have as a family and MH has a really strong bond with his daughter. Kathryn in turn has a very strong bond with her father. She’s very lucky it’s worth more than GOLD!

I had a very different up bringing; I have been around cars a great deal with my family. My father’s business is in the auto electrical side of the automotive industry, placed in a small mining town in the UK. It’s a small family owned garage servicing the local community, he did this with his business partner who sadly died in the mid 80’s.

Growing up my father was never really at home as he was running the family business. He saw me grow up, but could have been a part of so much more. I got dragged round the motor shows each year, having special nibbles with the exhibitors where they had trade accounts. I was young I was around 5, the stress on my little legs, as I got older I loved them, everything all shiny and new.

What’s so great about this story at 12 years a girl asked her daddy, if she could restore a car, not just any car Nooooo! A Feiro this is a mind of a determined young lady Oh so special.

Put it this way at the age of 12 I didn’t turn round to my Dad and say, you know the Ford Escort Mk2. I want to recondition the alternator, will you show me how and let me do all the work. Knowing my dad he would have said when you’re a bit older son I will get one off the lads to show you how (completely missing the point). He would have got a ‘skipped’ one and a work in progress and told me the stages, then you come here to the test bench and do this to see if it works.

I suspect that many dads would have done something similar. Put that into context of a whole car. Most parents if their boy (12) came to them and said I like to renovate a car, this car. I think the culture in the UK not sure about the US. Would have prompted this response, maybe when your older son!

That’s what’s so unique about MH and Mrs MH they said YES!!!! And he said YES!! To their little girl…..! That man deserves a DAD of the year award!!!!! So that’s part one, the second part is he is letting his daughter do all the work (well most of it). Most dads would have taken over the project, where they would have done most of the work instead. Doing that male dominating thing of taking control, MH didn’t and still does.

She asked he did just that, he listened to his daughter. The fact that he just let her get on with it, after a bit of training and know how.
A remarkable Dad comes a remarkable Daughter………

Two things Here: 1) He said YES!!!! 2) He lets her do the work and provides the education along with it (the education is in the doing)

Am sure it’s so tempting to just dive in there and do a few bits for her, must be so hard.

@MH as a Dad do you find that easy to do?

Coz you need a medal and a father of the year award, shall we put that to the vote (father of the year award)?

Sorry for the long post, its so beautiful and inspiring,

[This message has been edited by Zandebar (edited 10-30-2012).]

This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock