Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 20)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027960 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
kathryn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone
um...in terms of a name it's my bmblbee of course and about the pics we were busy this morning and now i'm down in Ohio again so my Dad will just have to take the pics without me in them so sad...lol
and I will probably be upgrading my suspention for safety and so I don't have a part that doesn't match all the other fixed and upgraded things.
thanks for all the great responce and help
-kathryn
IP: Logged
shank0668

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2012 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shank0668Send a Private Message to shank0668Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool stuff! Don't see to many of us teens into older cars.
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
mrvids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I told my brother your car will be done before his, and he was only doing an engine swap. Here's what his car has looked like for the last year or so.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh well mine looks way worse
and i don't have any updates really except for some pics. i can post in the next few days or so...because i've been down in Ohio with the family so yeah.
thanks for staying interested and all your support
-kathryn
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 06:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really want to move this thread to the Construction Zone, but since so many sites point to this thread (here in GFC) and since it also has so many FB likes, I'm hesitant to move it...
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I really want to move this thread to the Construction Zone, but since so many sites point to this thread (here in GFC) and since it also has so many FB likes, I'm hesitant to move it...

Can you alias the thread URL or thread number so that direct links here point there instead?
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2012 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff could you or one of our members code a re-direct so the address is forwarded automatically to the new location?

P.s. Wonder if Kathryn is doing some covert car rebuilding in Ohio folks!
Enquiring minds want to know?(joking)

Zep

@mrvids~

I told my brother your car will be done before his, and he was only doing an engine swap. Here's what his car has looked like for the last year or so.

My experience has been that tracking down parts takes a good long time and not every one has the amount of time to hit the project in one fell-swoop so to speak.
Motivate your brother; offer some help or buy him a part. That might spur some action...
Just speaking from personal experience.
You could just go with him to the junk yard and bring some steak if he is afraid of the dogs... (grin)
Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 08-20-2012).]

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey everyone,
just a brief update i got back home sunday evening and yesterday evening i got some sanding done...ugggg.
so i'm almost 3/4 of the way done with a door skin.
picture will be coming soon. sorry for the delay
-kathryn
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post08-21-2012 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an amazing build. So very much "win" going on here.

Tony
Vernon8360

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vernon8360Send a Private Message to Vernon8360Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I'd like to see this thread remain here, if it's not a major issue. I've been following this since it started and I might get lost if you moved it.

------------------
1988 GT
Medium Red Metallic
Manual, Gray Leather
K Beck LEDs & StuWipes

PFF
System Bot
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I promised Kathryn that I would get a few of her more recent photos up here. I wish I had one of the problem that we ran into, but completely messed up with not getting a photo. So once the 3.4 was mostly stripped down we could not get one of the heads off. No matter what we did it simply wouldn't budge. We tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, we tried hanging it from the cherry picker and letting it's own weight work and......nothing. I looked at it and couldn't find anything holding it. Uncle Bob looked and we still could not get it to release. We soaked it in penetrating oil overnight and still nothing. Finally after workiing on trying to get it lose for another 1/2 hour Kathryn goes..."I think it would help if we took this 15mm bolt out". It was a stud that went through the head and into the block, BUT was then threaded with a female top that took another bolt. We were sure we pulled it and what remained look like it was molded in the head....NOPE! Kathryn was right, pull all the head bolts and off it comes...lol!

of course once the block is stripped completely Kathryn has to play sock puppets in the bores. It has become something of a tradition.

the bores look pretty good. We'll know more soon. Kathryn got a set of telescope gauges from her grandpa so she will be checking them this week for wear, make sure they are within tolerance and that they have maintained concentricity.

\

Here is the troublesome head! Tip of the hat to Kathryn because I would still be fighting it, or I would have ruined it.

and of course the pistons....which if the bores are good, we should be able to reuse after cleaning them up and reringing them.

finally since Kathryn loves wood shop so much she made this (with some help from Dad) out of a 4x4 to hold all of the disassembled valve train.

I think she's doing ok so far.

-MH
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is an impressive Valve Train Rack... I wouldn't have thought of that!

Good job Kathryn
scottu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for scottuSend a Private Message to scottuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all, I've been following this for a long time without comment. I'm not really a mechanically-minded car enthusiast, but this has been so fascinating to see. You've actually made me get over some apprehension and think about doing some work on my own car. Nothing on this scale, of course.

I did have a question. You're putting so much thought into how the interior and exterior will look; are you planning on making the engine compartment, etc., a thing of beauty as well?

Much luck as you work toward finishing. You are amazing.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey everybody i have some quick updates to share!
on Monday the 27th so next week, I'll be doing an interview with Connecticut Public Radio's The Colin McEnroe Show.
It will be airing between 1-2 p.m. EST. Also I will be doing the show with Bogi Lateiner, who is a mechanic and she owns her own shop and she is one of the people on All Girls Garage on Velocity. She has her own website, 180auto.com
Thanks everyone for all your support and yes i will be making my engine, engine bay and everything beautiful too
-kathryn
carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

hey everybody i have some quick updates to share!
on Monday the 27th so next week, I'll be doing an interview with Connecticut Public Radio's The Colin McEnroe Show.
It will be airing between 1-2 p.m. EST. Also I will be doing the show with Bogi Lateiner, who is a mechanic and she owns her own shop and she is one of the people on All Girls Garage on Velocity. She has her own website, 180auto.com
Thanks everyone for all your support and yes i will be making my engine, engine bay and everything beautiful too
-kathryn

Congratulations, once again! Keep after it!
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2012 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey,
i will probably be going down to the garage to work on thursday evening and this wednesday i'm giving a cars 101 class to the young women of my church!! also about the interview i will be going on at 1:40 EST
-kathryn
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn,

I think it is so cool you are giving back to your community by giving the automotive 101 class to the young women.
It is refreshing to see that happening.
Kudos!

Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 08-27-2012).]

Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can listen to the interview live at http://www.cpbn.org/listen-live

[This message has been edited by Wild Horse (edited 08-27-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it is starting now.

-MH
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michhiker28

313 posts
Member since Apr 2011
PFF
System Bot
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great job Kathryn. It's a shame Colin appears so unknowledgeable that he glazed over what you were doing, almost like he really didn't care.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys and girls,
i just want to thank you all for your support, and encouragement it's been a HUGE help to me
i'm also going to be doing some sanding tomorrow...grrr. but it needs done....sigh.
and i will be getting to go down to my Uncle's to do some work on Thursday...
thanks again everyone, and for all the comments
-kathryn
carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2012 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by michhiker28:

A link http://www.yourpublicmedia....wrenches-not-wenches

-MH

I just wanted to add: click on the video and Kathryn begins at about 42:45. I have to agree that Colin wasn't too up on his cars. Maybe he needs to join Kathryn's class?
donna.milgram

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donna.milgramClick Here to visit donna.milgram's HomePageSend a Private Message to donna.milgramEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathyrn, I loved listening to your piece after mine on NPR and especially how your Fiero rebuild experience made you interested in math!, Also, I've read through yourr Dad's threads with your photos about your process. I am so proud of you!!! Maybe you'll be the first female CEO of an automaker (sorry, no pressure!) Your Fan Donna
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We may have some interesting news shortly but for now, just that teaser......

-MH
Marine1981

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's just mean, not even a hint?? lol
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We may have some interesting news shortly but for now, just that teaser......

-MH

Did Jay Leno finally call ?

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2012 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We unfortunately aren't allowed to say, however I can confirm that Jay Leno did NOT call....lol!

-MH
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
MH are you and the family going to the Woodward Dream Cruise?

~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 09-02-2012).]

carnut122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2012 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We unfortunately aren't allowed to say, however I can confirm that Jay Leno did NOT call....lol!

-MH

And?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
PFF
System Bot
mrvids

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrvidsSend a Private Message to mrvidsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After spending my Sunday changing a water pump on a '93 Park Avenue Ultra I remember why I think you & your project is so awesome.
We did make a great discovery, my neighbors air hose (with an air socket driver on the end) reaches to my garage for faster reassembly.
Maybe Santa is reading this? ;-)
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2012 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
God Bless benevolent neighbors with tools. LOL
Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 09-04-2012).]

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey everyone,
i just want to thank you all for all the great encouragment, and support and great comments.
unfortunately with school starting up i will not be able to move through my projects quite as quickly.... but that's life.
i did just get started on the front suspention, and the cars 101 class went great although it's difficult trying to teach in a short period of time but i think they learned a lot.
-kathryn
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2012 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't worry K, you have plenty of time to finish and we will be here to encourage and instruct you on the way.

Ben
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, a bit more information, there is looking like a distinct possibility that Kathryn might be flown out to LA for some filming....

-MH
Marine1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marine1981Click Here to visit Marine1981's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marine1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that's cool.
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2012 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok, a bit more information, there is looking like a distinct possibility that Kathryn might be flown out to LA for some filming....

-MH

You need to contact Gears!!!!!!
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is totally awesome!
Good luck!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2012 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn, just don't let all this interfere with your school. What I'm seeing of your dedication, determination and drive, I think you will be one successful young lady. You're going to need that eduction to keep track of all your money.

When you have the opportunity, call me. I have some important information about your headlight motors.
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock