Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Norm's offical build thread here! (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
Norm's offical build thread here! by rverhalen
Started on: 04-14-2005 02:57 PM
Replies: 340
Last post by: whereatt on 11-07-2007 05:40 PM
rverhalen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
FieroGTguy

Do you have closer interior shots of the dash? I would like to see that.
Today is the day we start the new nose. I think it will be a very long day.

More pictures coming tonight.

IP: Logged
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Yes I talked with Norm a few weeks ago and those are the lights I am going to use also when I get mine nose from him. Looks sweet, and be sure to keep that camera working.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott-Wa:

Front end looks great, but that marker light in last picture looks way out of place with the other mods and no molding to blend it to the rest of the car. I looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

Agreed. I seen the new head lamps at Daytona. A 100% better look vs. the old style. Hey Norm, why not use the 2005 Corvette side lamps?

------------------

Archie's Choptop conversion #11, #15, Redux & The Stealth

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Robert,
I suspect that you're about 'elbow deep' into the car, right about now. The pics look awesome! Can't wait to see it.

I'm planning to leave here, early tomorrow morning. Should see you around noon. I'll call tonite.

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Raydar, that would be great! I thought you would like the pictures of the hood and front nose also, that is why I posted them for you. Yea I am about Knee deep in work right now and taking pictures and getting dirty, but that is the fun right?

Stay tuned, more pictures tonight in detail with Norm and Robert (me) working my "Nose" off. LOL

GSXRBOBBY
Yes that camera is in overtime now, just hope PIP works tonight!

madcurl
I will ask Norm in a few minutes, I wondered the same thing too

That is all for now, keep watching it will get better!

Thanks
Robert Ver Halen

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 04-17-2005).]

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Here are the pictures

Before all Hell breaks loose!

The first cut into the ole fender

Yea it is coming off now!

That is me so worried about my little car!

Norm cutting some major metal

Norm checking twice and cutting once

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Halfway done with the right front

A little shave and a haircut

Lower part of the body

Doing some trimming

My baby!

A naked nose!

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Norm looking a little tired

A close up

A new look
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

She can not look so we covered here eyes

Gary is a cool guy, he came over to make sure that we were doing it OK, Gary owns a White 4.9 notchback
and lives here in Winston Salem. Gary had to make the show! He helped out a lot when it came to the good stuff
Thanks for coming by and helping out!
This images is larger than 100K. Click to view.

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 04-17-2005).]

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004

That is all for today!

We will be doing the wiring and some minor things in the AM. I hope this was helpful to all of you.
The HID lights are a drop in the headlight bucket, that is why you do not see them in this picture.
They will be put in the new nose in a few days. I will be cutting out the back of the headlight buckets in a few days after the whole front end is painted.

I want to thank Gary Flynt for coming over and helping out he is know on this board as Flyntus. Great guy, and oh by the way Gary you left your camera over here today!

Thanks for looking
Robert Ver Halen

More to come!

PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
One last thing, the nose is lifted in the air with two jack stands that is why the wheel wells are so tall. We needed to do this to get under the nose while Norm was welding the plates on the front so the nose would tilt.

We should have pictures in the AM of it on the ground and looking good. We took off about 100 LBS from the car with the metal that was taken off. Boy that stuff weighed a lot. Plus the spare came out since I now run 17's and the ole 15 inch spare is useless.

More to come!

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Excellent!
I didn't know that all of these pics were up, already. Norm does some first rate work.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2005 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Very good write-up with pics. I'm saving this one as "favorites."

I did however find two things wrong. Norm isn't smiling during the proceedure. I've never seen a person cutting on a Fiero w/o them grining from ear-to-ear. hehehehe. Also, the the other guy seems to be hiding the Coke soda from you guys? hehehe.

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Man, you guys look a lot more than 'elbow-deep'... great progress for the day!
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post04-18-2005 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting that is major surgery by the end result will be worth it .
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Keep em coming!
GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that was great "Norms Nose Build thread", I meet Norm a few months ago and he turned out to be a really nice guy! He also treated me and Ashley "girlfriend" to a nice tour of his shop. I hope you enjoy this more then we enjoyed looking it over. But then again....that just maybe a silly understatement!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

flyntus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flyntusSend a Private Message to flyntusDirect Link to This Post
Robert,
Enjoyed "Supervising" the work and great dinner. The picture of me you could have done without, everyone is probably thinking, "He needs a 4.9 to haul all that around". Me thinks it's time for the gym (one of these days)
FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
So much for my re-build-up thread.

Great documentation!

Greg

PS - E-mail FieroGTguy@aol.com if you want more pics of the dash/interior.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by rverhalen:

more

wow this one at a time is not easy with PIP

I hate you. Your "before" pics look better than most people's "after" pics.

PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
That was one of the best lines I have ever read! I am still laughing on that one. And so is Norm!

More pictures coming tonight of the final work that we did today ( I should say Norm did)

Then tomorrow the body gets parts taken off and the new side scoops put on. Then off to the body shop!

You will see it all here in full pictures. Down to the minute it comes home from the paint and body shop.

Thanks for looking

Oh, I would also like to thank Raydar for coming over today also. It seems that more and more and stopping by to say hello and see the progress!

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

One last thing, the nose is lifted in the air with two jack stands that is why the wheel wells are so tall.

Dang! I was hoping you were getting the Top Secret off-road lift kit/4-wheel drive option.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I know this will look great after done as I have seen this product at Daytona but I have to comment on the cutting. I didn't know you have to cut so much of the front structural area. That definitely would reduce whatever 5* safety rating as it seems you just leave the front compartment as a crush zone. Just drive safely after it

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by Alex4mula (edited 04-18-2005).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Wow... just Wow. I am not sure I could have stood by while someone with a sawzall went after it on my Fiero. They would have had to make me leave, or sedate me. (Miller Genuine Draft woudl do fine )

I can hardly wait to see teh finished product, I know it will look amazing!

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Most of the material removed is the sheet metal under the headlights, the frame is the same so the support is still there. I don't really see it changing much. But then again the only way to test it is crash it and I don't see any of us doing that? YET....sorry.

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
GXRSBobby,

Norm just told me that you have large brake kits for an 88? Is that correct? Do you want to talk to me about them?
send email over to
rverhalen@triad.rr.com

I think I need some, send over as much data as possible

Thanks
Robert Ver Halen

The Black Widow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The Black WidowSend a Private Message to The Black WidowDirect Link to This Post
wow! looking good! cant wait to see the finished product
-Matt
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Well Norm just left after a good dinner with the "family" and he jumped in the shower and off to home he went. ( Damn nice guy)
Anyway here are the latest pictures from today. We finished up the Nose and Raydar showed up (Steve) to pick up his parts from Atlanta (wow) he must have liked the hood and front nose to drive that far, anyway Steve stayed around for a few hours shooting the breeze with Norm and I then Gary stopped by to say hello. Tried to get him to stay for dinner but to no avail.

These are the last shots of the finished nose. Norm will be sending over the HID lights in about a week. That is OK since the car is going on Wednesday to the paint and body shop so I do not need them. Today Norm did all the wiring and adjustments to the new nose. He finished up around 6:30 PM got some dinner under his belt. One top notch job that he did. It makes the car look lower in person then it does in the pictures.

So here are the pictures

Norm made special brackets to mount the overflow tank (really nice fabrication work!)

This is showing the radio mount for the antenna

Norm wiring up the HID lights

The front nose bracket assembly and overflow tank mounts

Just a very cool shot of the right side of the car

Could not resist showing off the detail work behind the wheels that you can seen now! (I love this shot)

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 04-18-2005).]

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
More

Front bracket assembly view

Looking up at the nose

Norm hard at work and me just watching and taking pictures

Norm finishing up the wiring on the drivers side of the car. Lots of things came off that we did not need anymore like the Headlight module. If anyone needs one let me know! It works, now is just added weight!

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Man!! That seems like it didn't take any time at all! ::chuckle::
PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Now for the update,

Tuesday working on getting parts off the car
Putting on the side scoops
Cutting trimming the fender liners for a better fit
Getting her ready for the paint and body shop

Wednesday
Going to delivery her to the paint and body shop for prep
Sanding and finishing anything that I forgot to do

Thurday
Painting the car a Ebony gloss black with little silver in the paint

Friday / Saturday / Sunday
Just sitting and letting the paint harden

Monday
Bringing my baby home

Yes there will be pictures along the way till she is home with me again.

and then the final (me) doing the clean up and rubberized undercoating to the hood to give her a better look and feel.

After that only time will tell.

Now for Norm
Hell of a great guy that went out of his way to make everything perfect and I mean perfect. From the moment that he walked in the door he was family! Big hugs from my wife and family hopefully made him feel at home. I have to admit I was sorry to see him go, but go he did and safely I hope ( it is a long drive home for Norm)

In my book a quality guy with a quality product. You have to see the fiberglass work that he does to understand what I am talking about. Once you see the tilt front nose in person you would have to have one. I just turned on the air cond. just to see the fan blow. It will defrost your windshield quickly for you! That is no lie.

Support the guys that support us here. Quality work / Quality product / Quality guy period!

More to come soon.

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
E-mail was just sent!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Replied back and yes I am interested, If Norm recomended you, you must be good!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I just arrived home about 20 minutes ago. Had a great time!

Robert, it was a pleasure to meet you and your family. (Your son has got a very nice ride, too. I know he's proud of it. )
Was also great to meet Norm. One heckuva nice guy!

I'll take a minute to second the other posts...You really can't appreciate what a fine piece of work Norm's tilt front end is. There are all sorts of "trick" details built in, that make it all the more practical and nice. Every little detail was addressed.
Fits in nicely with the obvious TLC that was invested on the rest of the car.

Sure wish I could have hung around a while longer, but I knew I was going to be late getting home, as it was. Thanks for everything!

I'm gonna go pass out, now.

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2005 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

FieroGTguy

Do you have closer interior shots of the dash? I would like to see that.

I have the build-up with pics in a .doc if interested.

Greg

[This message has been edited by FieroGTguy (edited 04-18-2005).]

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
FieroGTguy,

Very nice, did you make that yourself? How long did it take?
What is the thread, or should I say where is it?

Very nice and I like the accents on the dask.
I do not think it will work my AEX-Electronics dash though, maybe I can come up with something.

More pictures coming today on the detail and deconstruction before paint!

Thanks for looking
Robert Ver Halen

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Raydar,

Did all of the parts make it home OK? I am glad that you arrived safely, since it was a long drive.
Post some pictures of your car and the things that you are doing also. Would love to see it.

We need to have a run soon! ( after the car is painted and other little things done)

Be safe! and thanks for coming by. It was like having a rock star at the house for the weekend. Everyone wanted or did stop by! How cool is that.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Everything made it home fine.
I'll PM or link you some pics of the car. Nothing spectacular, now. Just a black Formula with fried paint. Not even enough progress to post an "in progress" thread.

If you're interested in making a run, the Georgia Fiero Club sponsors Run For The Hills every September, or thereabouts.
It's usually in the NC, TN, or N. GA mountains. Check out www.gafiero.org for details and pics.

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2005 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good, PM me with your phone number again. Thanks

Robert Ver Halen
rverhalen@triad.rr.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay