Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  '68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun! (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun! by Boostdreamer
Started on: 05-03-2013 05:53 PM
Replies: 591 (44267 views)
Last post by: jagwinn on 04-02-2019 08:39 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't understand the "sledghammer" remark. This thing basically just came out of the cardboard form that we used to hold the foam while it set up. We've just made a few rough cuts and have a long way to go before it will be time to pull the scalpel out of the tool box. I appreciate constructive criticism and will consider all suggestions. Thanks for watching. If we never sell ONE of these, it doesn't matter. We are doing what we want and enjoying every minute of it! I think that's what it's really all about.

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

IP: Logged
CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so here we go, another round of iGTO building!!
Here, we are drawing out some of the features: (BoostDreamer will post more pics tonight - His camera is better!!
Oh, and get a japanese flat saw - best thing in the world!!

------------------
Notchie to Fast Back Conversion

After Market Steering Wheel Conversion

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project Has Begun

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 06-05-2013).]

Pete Matos

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL yeah I agree, my old professional woodworking colleague affectionately referred to them as "Jap Slappers" They are AMAZING saws and make a typical handsaw look like it has teeth made from rubber. Especially in something like foam it would just rip thru. I have a small one as well as the large one I believe it is called a dozuki or something like that LOL...peace

Pete

------------------
"May the grins begin when you turn the key and hear the engine roar over your shoulder" ......Gall57 (slightly modified LOL)

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pete Matos:

LOL yeah I agree, my old professional woodworking colleague affectionately referred to them as "Jap Slappers" They are AMAZING saws and make a typical handsaw look like it has teeth made from rubber. Especially in something like foam it would just rip thru. I have a small one as well as the large one I believe it is called a dozuki or something like that LOL...peace

Pete

I know right....these things are frickin awesome!!

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got some work done today. I think we're on the right path.

We started by leveling the car. We went by the rocker panels, the rear trunk surround, and the radiator mount.

We broke our sledge hammer last session so we had to resort to other precision instruments.

Here we drew the general placement and size of the grill openings.

After that, we worked on the driver's side. We left the center section undone so we can match it to the other side later.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Damn.... That is looking Sweet Love It....

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 06-05-2013).]

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is really cool.
coady

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok now im startin to get some wood lookin at this.... I WANT MORE PICS LOL
things are lookin great!!! igto will be mine mine muahhhhh....
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Know what you mean, I am lovin' this (not to be confused with a McDonalds commercial) LOL

( edited for the purpose that I have had a beer ) even more LOL
------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 06-07-2013).]

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CrazyDragn

1400 posts
Member since Aug 2009

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Got some work done today. I think we're on the right path.

We started by leveling the car. We went by the rocker panels, the rear trunk surround, and the radiator mount.

We broke our sledge hammer last session so we had to resort to other precision instruments.

Here we drew the general placement and size of the grill openings.

After that, we worked on the driver's side. We left the center section undone so we can match it to the other side later.

We are awesome!!!

------------------

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for asking...But what kind of foam are you using?
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

It is a 2-pound 2-part liquid that is mixed in equal proportions. Not sure if it has a name. It is expensive though. We have over $150 in foam.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
A special note to our fans: Thank you so much for watching and showing so much interest! Your positive comments really do help. It is very nice to get encouragement from those who we most want to please, Our Forum Members. Please keep the comments coming! They are a great source of energy and inspiration!

Thanks again,
------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 06-06-2013).]

85SEnochie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85SEnochieSend a Private Message to 85SEnochieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking Beeping fantastic!

------------------

Love The Excitement! https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/068738.html

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it is actually called 2 part urethane foam. you want the 2lb density edition if you are covering a large area - and 3lb can be used for smaller areas.

BE SURE to get the "hard type" for there is another - it is used to make car seat foam and it is very spongy thus cannot be used for this type application. Hope this helps.

Jason

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 06-06-2013).]

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

it is actually called 2 part urethane foam. you want the 2lb density edition if you are covering a large area - and 3lb can be used for smaller areas.

BE SURE to get the "hard type" for there is another - it is used to make car seat foam and it is very spongy thus cannot be used for this type application. Hope this helps.

Jason

THANK YOU again and keep up the AWESOME work
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

THANK YOU again and keep up the AWESOME work

Thank You and We Will keep up the AWESOMENESS!!

------------------

hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A new body mod may be on the horizon. Jason CrazyDragn and I have decided to attempt to re-create the look of the Pontiac GTO nose from the '68-69 year cars for a Fiero. Terry 85SEnochie helped to put my idea into visual form on his Photoshop thread. He did several pics for me and these are my two favorites.

There has been a little bit of interest from several forum members who would like for this nose to be produced and made available. That may be far in the future but we at least are at a beginning.

Wish us luck and advice is welcome! We are not fiberglass experts so we'll take all the help we can get!

That really looks good in black, because it makes it look smaller. I think it really makes a notchie look richer!
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hypo327:

That really looks good in black, because it makes it look smaller. I think it really makes a notchie look richer!

Did you notice that the yellow notchie is a choptop and the black "fastback" has a shortened sail area that only extends half way to the rear of the deck lid? The black car is more representitive of what my car will be when done. Glad you like it!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Roberthetrucker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RoberthetruckerSend a Private Message to RoberthetruckerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the chin forward version...the black notchie is incredible...every detail!!! It's classy yet agressive...you guys rock!!
420ponies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 420poniesSend a Private Message to 420poniesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is fantastic! I really like the look of the black gt with the gto panel ( I have a '88 notchback) . Now I have to save up for one on mine. I just got ahold of a nice '88 nose. guess it will go "in the attic" with the other parts now. I thinkin' the same paint scheme also. Keep up the good work.
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing better than turning on the computer for the first time in the morning and seeing new people getting excited about our work! Thanks guys! YOU ROCK!!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now you know if this turns out like everyone hopes...you might have some requests to more custom bumper work
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nothing better than turning on the computer for the first time in the morning and seeing new people getting excited about our work! Thanks guys! YOU ROCK!!

you must have had a good night or something because I cannot help but notice that you didn't turn your computer on till 10:40am

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Now you know if this turns out like everyone hopes...you might have some requests to more custom bumper work

That won't hurt my feelings one bit! I am also back in school learning welding. I've already got my first certification but I'll need another year to get my degree. I plan to specialize in TIG welding aluminum and stainless so I can make custom parts and gas tanks, etc. After this project is done, I'd like to enclose half of my carport and set up my welding stuff and work from home. I don't know if I can make a LIVING like that but I'm sure it would pay for some toys!

Crazydragn and I work well together. We see things a little differently and when we've explained ourselves to each other, we have been able to find solutions that please us both. Either that or I'm too demanding and he gives in! LOL I'd be more than willing to take on something else after this. I think he would, too.

He's the "big picture" guy and I'm the detail guy. He has experience with the fiberglass process and an art background. I'm very picky and meticulous in designs and I'm not too bad with the knife. If it doesn't look good or work right, I don't want anyone to know I did it! I'm a firm believer in wanting it done right so I need to do it myself. I've seen too much apathy from "professionals" of all sorts of trades. I want to set the bar of quality so high, even I have trouble reaching it.

Somebody posted in another thread about a guy who had about $400 in labor fixing an old fender that could have been bought new for $250. That sounds about like me. I get caught up in details that probably nobody else would notice. Somebody usually has to tell me when it's good enough. I drive my wife crazy when I'm folding clothes! LOL

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

you must have had a good night or something because I cannot help but notice that you didn't turn your computer on till 10:40am

Stayed up til 2:30am doing homework. Yeah, it was a blast!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That won't hurt my feelings one bit! I am also back in school learning welding. I've already got my first certification but I'll need another year to get my degree. I plan to specialize in TIG welding aluminum and stainless so I can make custom parts and gas tanks, etc. After this project is done, I'd like to enclose half of my carport and set up my welding stuff and work from home. I don't know if I can make a LIVING like that but I'm sure it would pay for some toys!

Crazydragn and I work well together. We see things a little differently and when we've explained ourselves to each other, we have been able to find solutions that please us both. Either that or I'm too demanding and he gives in! LOL I'd be more than willing to take on something else after this. I think he would, too.

He's the "big picture" guy and I'm the detail guy. He has experience with the fiberglass process and an art background.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings either. These are the type of things I enjoy doing and toying with.
Yes, we work well together and we both bring stuff to the table such as perspectives, and know how.
I have 2 years of Aerospace engineering, design and fabrication, and a Bachelors in Business and a Minor in Healthcare too. I also have plaques from design awards won thru the years

With both our experience and expertice, I think will have a winner, even if it is just for us. (but we look forawrd to making it available to everyone)

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 06-07-2013).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys...PM sent
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2013 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Guys...PM sent

PM replied

------------------

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cant wait for the next!! can you?

No sorry....I can't wait.

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
School is getting in the way! My on-line class is killing me! Algebra, Trig, and Physics for my summer session. This sucks.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

School is getting in the way! My on-line class is killing me! Algebra, Trig, and Physics for my summer session. This sucks.

It's OK , I only have to word two (2) days this week. LOL

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's OK , I only have to work two (2) days this week. LOL

I'm going to see if I can arrange a full moon so you'll have to go in!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm going to see if I can arrange a full moon so you'll have to go in!

you know 'Blue Moon' is my favorite! (but I know where your going with the psych of it) LOL

------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 06-11-2013).]

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hoping to get more started this Friday, we will see what Boostdreamers schedule is.
------------------

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 06-13-2013).]

Axdrenalin

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AxdrenalinClick Here to visit Axdrenalin's HomePageSend a Private Message to AxdrenalinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boost, I'm going to have to make another drive down your way to check this little project out. You guys are really getting creative with this, and it's going to be a blast to see how the finished product looks when it's complete. Did you get your '85 all finished up and back together?

Robert
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Axdrenalin:

Boost, I'm going to have to make another drive down your way to check this little project out. You guys are really getting creative with this, and it's going to be a blast to see how the finished product looks when it's complete. Did you get your '85 all finished up and back together?

Robert

Robert, come back any time! You're more than welcome to sit in on one of our sculpting sessions. We don't bite!

The '85 is still basically a rolling frame. Haven't done much to it. I'm still keeping the build thread going but it has kinda switched gears focusing on my '86. (link in sig) I thought I was going to have some time to work on the '85 this summer but school is much tougher than I thought. It's almost 1am and I just finished my homework. We wanted to get together tomorrow (today) but I'm still not caught up on my on-line class. It is really kicking my butt! It keeps a count of how long I spend logged in and I already have over 12 hours on it. I've not spent that much time on my other two classroom classes COMBINED!! The good news is that I took my first on-line test and got a 92. I'll take it!

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Robert, come back any time! You're more than welcome to sit in on one of our sculpting sessions. We don't bite!

The '85 is still basically a rolling frame. Haven't done much to it. I'm still keeping the build thread going but it has kinda switched gears focusing on my '86. (link in sig) I thought I was going to have some time to work on the '85 this summer but school is much tougher than I thought. It's almost 1am and I just finished my homework. We wanted to get together tomorrow (today) but I'm still not caught up on my on-line class. It is really kicking my butt! It keeps a count of how long I spend logged in and I already have over 12 hours on it. I've not spent that much time on my other two classroom classes COMBINED!! The good news is that I took my first on-line test and got a 92. I'll take it!

We can do something over the weekend if your classes will allow (and the wife )

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2013 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We can do something over the weekend if your classes will allow (and the wife )

I spent the day fixing a huge oil leak on my GT! That will kill my chances of working on the bumper. You should go check out the Gray Fair Grounds this weekend. My church is doing a car and bike show and the guys from Duck Dynasty will be there. It's prolly all free but I'm not sure.

------------------
Jonathan

My '85 L67 Build Thread

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock