Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  '68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun! (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun! by Boostdreamer
Started on: 05-03-2013 05:53 PM
Replies: 591 (44260 views)
Last post by: jagwinn on 04-02-2019 08:39 PM
CrazyDragn

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroDan86:

I vote yellow! The black version just reminded me too much of the 91-92 Firebird "Bat" nose which I hated and thought ruined a good looking car.

What about the white one?
IP: Logged
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think black works best. And agree arrowhead in center. Turn signals behind grills.
Looking good! May be the next "Must have".
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coady:

will the grill still have the stock plastic protector part behind the new bumper?

as for design i think the yellow or white with the arrowhead in the center and no other lettering or badges on it.

The new bumper will be designed with the egg crate safety material removed. You can see by the large grill openings that there would be no room for the egg crate behind it. For that reason, we'll have to state that this bumper is "for offroad use only".

We are looking into ways to reinforce our nose, though. Our thought now is to try to make some webbing inside the bumper for support and a bit of bump protection. As with all products, you'll have to use our bumper at your own risk.

------------------
Jonathan

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/121056.html

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 07-17-2013).]

jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't one just fab up a aluminum or steel reinforcement out of flat stock bent to the curves inside the bumper? something like that would also make sag in the future a little less of a worry..
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking maybe some rebar or 1" square tubing welded close to the frame possibly, BoostDreamer is our welder, I will have to talk to him about that. Plausable tho.

------------------
Notchie to Fast Back Conversion

After Market Steering Wheel Conversion

jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reason I thought alum would be good is lower cost in shipping, its easier to bend up into comlpex shapes and it doesn't rust. Just food for thought lol
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just started a thread in the Mall selling floor mats. The procedes from these sales will fund this project. If you want this nose, you might want to help out by buying a pair. Only $25 shipped with Priority Mail.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/065895.html

------------------
Jonathan

coady

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would be more comfortable with building the nose around the egg crate safety material. i think you can still get the desired effect with the safety intact
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coady:

i would be more comfortable with building the nose around the egg crate safety material. i think you can still get the desired effect with the safety intact

Look at how much shorter the GTO bumper is overall. Now look at how deep the grills are set in. There isn't going to be much room in there. Like I said though, the stock METAL crash bar will remain in place. I do want to add additional fiberglass or plastic webbing inside the bumper to mimic the purpose of the eggcrate. The eggcrate is designed to be sacrificed in an accident. The braun of the system, the crash bar, will still be there. Need a pic?

------------------
Jonathan

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that would be really great to help me understand
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pic of the front with the crash bar removed:

I'll have to take a pic of the front with the crash bar in place tomorrow. My flash doesn't work.

------------------
Jonathan

PFF
System Bot
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrecking the front of these cars is catistrophical to begin with, just be a safer driver!

------------------

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just FYI, sagging won't be a concern on a fiberglass nose. So you won't need any structural support to hold its shape. As long as the fiberglass isn't paper-thin, you'll be fine.

Also, the purpose of the eggcrate material is to absorb energy during an impact, by crushing. Reinforcing the bumper will not absorb energy, but rather will transfer more of it to the chassis. This is exactly the opposite of what the egccrate material does.

Maybe you could use crushable grille material?

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 05-08-2013).]

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2013 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CrazyDragn:

Wrecking the front of these cars is catistrophical to begin with, just be a safer driver!

im planning on doing this car for my little girl and when she is old enought to drive it will be hers so yes safety is formost for me on this build.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Just FYI, sagging won't be a concern on a fiberglass nose. So you won't need any structural support to hold its shape. As long as the fiberglass isn't paper-thin, you'll be fine.

Also, the purpose of the eggcrate material is to absorb energy during an impact, by crushing. Reinforcing the bumper will not absorb energy, but rather will transfer more of it to the chassis. This is exactly the opposite of what the egccrate material does.

Maybe you could use crushable grille material?

What I want to do is in a sense, re-create the eggcrate as a permanent part of the new bumper by making a web system inside the back of the bumper. I think it would help disperse the force over a larger area.

------------------
Jonathan

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that sounds great. would rather have to buy a new bumper from you guys instead of my little one hurting herself.
keep up the great work....
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use foam inside the bumper.... this will help absorb some of the impact. Modern cars use foam to keep the shape, and to act as the egg crate in the fiero.
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We could pour some foam into it and let it form-in. but even the egg crate is only 5 mile an hour bumper stop.

------------------

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so pouring the foam will give you not only the best looking bumper out there but the safest as well. good work guys.... starting to put money aside to pay for one of these now....
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the crash bar on the front. There is a similar one on the rear. This is the actual car we are using as a model for sculpting and fitting.

------------------
Jonathan

fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't mind putting a $25 option fee down towards the purchase rather than buy floor mat.
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

I wouldn't mind putting a $25 option fee down towards the purchase rather than buy floor mat.

I appreciate the offer but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. At this point we can't guarantee ANYTHING concerning this bumper. What we can guarantee is that all profits from mat sales will fund this project. It would be too easy for this to go south and people would be wanting a product or their money back. That sort of thing can get ugly really fast. I'd rather avoid it.

------------------
Jonathan

fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very true. Some people don't understand the difference between an option and a down payment.
I have faith that if you make this nose, it will be well received.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

I appreciate the offer but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that. At this point we can't guarantee ANYTHING concerning this bumper. What we can guarantee is that all profits from mat sales will fund this project. It would be too easy for this to go south and people would be wanting a product or their money back. That sort of thing can get ugly really fast. I'd rather avoid it.

Didn't Tucker do that with the radio?

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Didn't Tucker do that with the radio?

Ahhhh! 1948! I remember it well!

------------------
Jonathan

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I did a Urethane test today to make 100% sure that I got the correct kind, answer is yes I did.

You see, there are two types. One is used for car seats and is cusioned and the other is hard. I got the HARD (he he)

Here is a pic:

------------------

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
frickin cool man keep it up lol
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much yeast did you put in that cake? Yikes!

------------------
Jonathan

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2013 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How much yeast did you put in that cake? Yikes!

LOL, you see those two very small shot cups?
I only put maybe 1oz in each one to make that big monster - - it slow rised and then BAM!!- - - absolutely awesome!

------------------

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just started a thread in the Mall selling floor mats. The procedes from these sales will fund this project. If you want this nose, you might want to help out by buying a pair. Only $25 shipped with Priority Mail.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/065895.html

We have received several offers of investment capital. We very much appreciate the offers and the trust and faith you're extending to us. Unfortunately, we cannot accept those offers. Our greatest fear is that we will disappoint those who have invested. Here's what we CAN do to sweeten the pot - Buy a set of mats for $25. 100% of that money minus materials and shipping will fund this project. When we have a bumper that we are ready to sell, we will give a discount to everyone who bought mats. We will give a $15 credit toward the purchase of the bumper to any member who buys mats. That will mean you get the pair of mats delivered for $10. If, in the end, we fail and cannot offer the bumper, you still got a functional item for your car at a very good price.

------------------
Jonathan

IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This isn't my cup of tea but I really wish you guys the best of luck in this. Always cool to see new things, even if it isn't for you.
PFF
System Bot
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to update everyone, We ARE getting ready to form the Plug.

------------------

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any projected cost estimates of purchase price of the bumper at this point?

Have you decided "nose up"(kid of like upside down GTO) or "nose down"(like real GTO) yet?
CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2013 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We will let you know as we get further into it.

------------------

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2013 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's Monday!!! i can't wait to see the pics of your progress!!!!!!!
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're cleaning up. Made good progress. Pics shortly.

------------------
Jonathan

CrazyDragn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CrazyDragnSend a Private Message to CrazyDragnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, HERE WE GO:

This is the bottom of the plug

This is where we put the front of the plug on:

This is where we poured the 2 part urethane foam in:

Here you can WATCH IT RISE!!!!!!

We placed enough in the front for us to cut and trim into place. We will be adding the quater panel from sides in after this dries and we get more 2 part urethane in.
another note*
BoostDreamer made me some Black Floor mats today.

------------------

'68-69 GTO Nose Project

[This message has been edited by CrazyDragn (edited 05-13-2013).]

coady

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coadySend a Private Message to coadyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
awesome guys you got me drooling...
also would like to see those black mats...
quins&dads88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for quins&dads88Send a Private Message to quins&dads88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You Make......I Shall Buy! Yellow All The Way.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 15 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock