Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Madcurl's Arch Rival !! (Page 19)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Madcurl's Arch Rival !! by exoticse
Started on: 04-07-2005 02:39 AM
Replies: 3142 (256064 views)
Last post by: exoticse on 12-03-2016 10:12 PM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I own a page!!!!

Let's see, while you're working your next pipe dream, we're still trying to make the last one come true.

The pinch weld is being welded in

And the gaps between the new pinch weld and the chassis are closed off with shaped metal fillers being welded in. Along the base of the windshiels and on both "A" pillars.

We sat the windshield on it to see what it'll look like.....

Looking from inside, someone needs to clean the glass soon. The windshield really look like a steep angle from here.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 02-19-2007).]

IP: Logged
AutoTech

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AutoTechSend a Private Message to AutoTechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

Woah, thats about what the inside of my car looks like driving home from the bar after poundin a few at 2am
Finally_Mine_86_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2007 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Finally_Mine_86_GTSend a Private Message to Finally_Mine_86_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol... it's starting to look hot though.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AutoTech:

Woah, thats about what the inside of my car looks like driving home from the bar after poundin a few at 2am

ROFLMAO
bubbajoexxx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am curious how you will rework the wiper to be able to clean the winshield amd not interfer with the hood
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have to redo the rear line of the hood. Look up some of Orville's cars for details.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We're workin' at it.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We're workin' at it.

I'm anxious to see the new wiper system as well, but I am waiting patiently.

The A pillars will not be as wide at the bottom as I expected. It should look very nice when it's all said and done.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-20-2007).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Of you could just mount high pressure air vents at the base of the windshield and just blow the water off the windshield.. If we're going to go high-tech, we might as well go all the way!

But seriously, two things come to mind for me... Either raise the hood scoop a bit and put a center mounted wiper like you would find on an Enzo, that would lay flat on one side of the other at the line of the hood when not in use... Or a mechanical cowl like an old Corvette has that raises when you turn the wipers on but lets them slide down below when not in use... Personally I like the center mount.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 02-20-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Songman:

Personally I like the center mount.

That would be cool, and probably easier to install since you only have to install one versus two. But where do you get one??
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More Pipe dreams mod from different angle.

PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Originally posted by jscott1:

That would be cool, and probably easier to install since you only have to install one versus two. But where do you get one??

Lotus Elise, hehe.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Lotus Elise, hehe.

Is that a guess or a hint?

Actually I just searched ebay and there are tons of Mercedes single wiper systems out there and for half the cost of the unversal cable systems. I think I'll go the Mercedes way, if I can get someone like Riceburner to help be design the interface to be able to control it..
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is that a guess or a hint?

Actually I just searched ebay and there are tons of Mercedes single wiper systems out there and for half the cost of the unversal cable systems. I think I'll go the Mercedes way, if I can get someone like Riceburner to help be design the interface to be able to control it..

Got a link?
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does $40 sound?

1995 E320 wiper gear
Click Here

Here is a picture of how it looks on the car.

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 02-20-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How does $40 sound?

1995 E320 wiper gear
Click Here

Dang it...the link doesn't work on my end.

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-20-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003

You have to redo the rear line of the hood. Look up some of Orville's cars for details.

Yes. That's the ticket Dale! Thanks for your input....we'll get on it!
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Crap! The eBay item number is 280083266842 but now someone has bid on it and the Buy It Now is gone. Oh well, the bid is at $9.99 and there is 1 day 18 hours left in the auction.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you think they will chase me off the Mercedes lot if I go there to checkout the wipers? Anyone have a list of which models had the single wiper?
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mercedes uses single arm controlled as shown above. It has that little extra cam in there to make the arm pivot as it goes across the windshield. A little more complicated but worth it for range of vision.

There is a company called Bonrath that makes a single wiper conversion that is popular with the VW crowd. They recommend a place called CFI Motorsports for the kit which is a little over $200. I tried to reach them but their website is down and no answer on the phone.

Here is another kit that from VWs but I don't know if it is rectangular pattern or just a sweep.
http://www.dubstopimports.c...earch.x=0&Search.y=0

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you think they will chase me off the Mercedes lot if I go there to checkout the wipers? Anyone have a list of which models had the single wiper?

Leave your Saws-All at home & you'll be ok.

Archie
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

easy one to find is from the 190 e model they go back as far as 86 and are faily cheep

E Bay Item number: 140087800490 here is one

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 02-20-2007).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, it'll have to be late 80s or so. newer MBs don't have them.
Derek2M6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Derek2M6Send a Private Message to Derek2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar idea to use the MB single wiper. Haven't looked at it much yet, but I agree the 190E is probably the easiest to get it from and might be the cheapest.

My friend's '93 190E has the single wiper (which is funky to watch in action); I might have take the measuring tape with me to work and get the length of it.

------------------

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the times I've done a single wiper before, I've used the Fiero motor & head unit & modified the wiper arm/blade. Then you you don't have to make an off model fit the GM wiring & controls. In this case we need to find is an articulated arm that goes where we want it and fits the GM hub.

Archie
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2007 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most of the times I've done a single wiper before, I've used the Fiero motor & head unit & modified the wiper arm/blade. Then you you don't have to make an off model fit the GM wiring & controls. In this case we need to find is an articulated arm that goes where we want it and fits the GM hub.

Archie

you should be able to fit the GM motor to this arm assembly your fabrication skills are excellent
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

you should be able to fit the GM motor to this arm assembly your fabrication skills are excellent

I agree...I'm watching this very anxiously as I figure out how to mount the windshield to my chop t-top...

And Archie you won't have any reason not to chop t-tops after you perfect the Eclipse windshield.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Note to self.

Avoid late night conversations with madcurl.

It could result in sleepless nights pondering his many creative ideas.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Note to self.

Avoid late night conversations with madcurl.

It could result in sleepless nights pondering his many creative ideas.

That idea is now haunting you, huh? You'd better hurry before the "dream catcher" steals the idea!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-21-2007).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And Archie you won't have any reason not to chop t-tops after you perfect the Eclipse windshield.

I can't find my original post but on the 1st page of this thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/043073.html is a copy of it & it explains why I'm not interested in doing a "T" top chop. Very little of that reasoning has anything to do with the windshield.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Bubbajoxxx

PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mercedes uses single arm controlled as shown above. It has that little extra cam in there to make the arm pivot as it goes across the windshield. A little more complicated but worth it for range of vision.

I saw an old SL500 in the parking lot today and it had the single wiper. I could confirm from the wipe pattern on the glass that it used the controlled pattern. Pretty cool looking.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I saw an old SL500 in the parking lot today and it had the single wiper. I could confirm from the wipe pattern on the glass that it used the controlled pattern. Pretty cool looking.

You didn't see any Lotus Elise in the parking lot did you? I like that one too.

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2007 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
To Serve Mankind: Rhynoplasty

The operation of the Karl Molden (hideous scoop) will be surgically removed on Thursday. Now the "World of Mankind" as we know it, shall have peace and so will Karl. J/k

Judging from the initial MRI, Karl hideous bump will be sculptured ending in a sleeker & smoother for easier flow of it's airways. Karl will soon roam the, "Streets of San Francisco" free from shame.

Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few questions:
What is the width of the top of both old and new windshields?
How wide is the stock windshield 3 vertical inches down?
After the chop, how much does the windows have to angle in?
What I'm getting at is if you look at a trapezoid, cut 3 inches of the middle and lower the top, the sides have to angle in.
But if you leave the sides normal, the top has to expand.
By going the route that's becoming popular with the tilted windshield, why not leave the side angle stock, thereby using stock glass door windows, find a windshield that fits the new dimensions?
That little area by the side mirror is about 3 inches, right?

[This message has been edited by Gokart Mozart (edited 02-22-2007).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Mr. Orville on his first two choptops, he expanded the roof to reduce the needed inward angle of the side glass. Not to mention, he used a different front windsheild. This also means, Orville had to sacrafice a Fiero for the needed section. Is Orville's way better? Yes, if you want less of a curviture for the side windows but,.....end the end, he'd still need custom glass because of the reduced height of the roof.

EDIT: The operation was a success. Karl is recoperating at Machessney Park Hillside manor, hehe

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 02-22-2007).]

Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2007 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

I have a few questions:
What is the width of the top of both old and new windshields?
How wide is the stock windshield 3 vertical inches down?
After the chop, how much does the windows have to angle in?
What I'm getting at is if you look at a trapezoid, cut 3 inches of the middle and lower the top, the sides have to angle in.
By going the route that's becoming popular with the tilted windshield, why not leave the side angle stock, thereby using stock glass door windows, find a windshield that fits the new dimensions?
That little area by the side mirror is about 3 inches, right?

The stock window is still wrong if you just move the top straight down and widen it. Even if the curve of the window was correct, the front edge of the glass would still not be right. You would effectively, be not rolling the window all the way up too so the window would hit the top seal before it ever got close to the a pillar.

Orville's first lesson is that you cannot build a car and then find a windshield to fit. You have to build the car to fit a specific windshield. That is why the one T-top chop that was started has never been finished. Chopping the car and welding it back together would have been the easy part. Hoping to find a windshield to fit would be kind of like trying to win the lottery.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is why the one T-top chop that was started has never been finished. Chopping the car and welding it back together would have been the easy part. Hoping to find a windshield to fit would be kind of like trying to win the lottery.

Yes, I'm watching this thread because I intend to finish the t-top chop top by re-welding the windshield frame to match the curve of a known windshield.
Songman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I knew you had ended up with the car. And I have every faith that you will do it.

At one point I talked to Orville about helping me chop my Formula using the extra T-top roof I had using his system. But then I sold the Formula and then the roof. Thanks goodness I was saved from the madness!! haha
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2007 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

To Serve Mankind: Rhynoplasty

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 79 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   57   58   59   60   61   62   63   64   65   66   67   68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock