Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  St.Louis Fiero Clubs (Page 11)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
St.Louis Fiero Clubs by markkrug
Started on: 01-03-2014 10:50 PM
Replies: 906 (12030 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 09-25-2022 07:46 PM
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LorenBateman:

Alright gents im at wits end on this.. Its the number 5 cyl.that has the miss,,new plugs ,plug wires , cap,rotor, compression check, injectors,egr and egr tube,..put in stainless steel vacuum lines..came off the hwy one evening after work and it was missing..now seems to be only missing at idle and low rpm..could this be an exhaust gasket leak???

Have you tried a running compression test? Compare it with another cylinder. If there is a valve or camshaft lobe problem, it will show up. Sounds like you have covered all the other item. Also spray around with carb cleaner to check for vacuum leaks.
IP: Logged
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

notwohorns

1175 posts
Member since Jul 2009
Double post

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 03-13-2015).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

No I have not. Do you think that might help?

I was wondering if the conventional oil or whatever was in the engin was a heavier weight, and therefore not leaking, but then the synthetic oil was lighter.

Loren, are you sure you're getting a good spark on that plug wire? I know you replaced a bunch of stuff that should've fixed that, but perhaps somehow that's the issue.
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tshark:

I was wondering if the conventional oil or whatever was in the engin was a heavier weight, and therefore not leaking, but then the synthetic oil was lighter.

The synthetic oil and the conventional oil was 5w30. I've heard of this problem before. They say the synthetic oil cleans the residue from under the seal and it starts to leak. I'm not sure about that statement though. Anyway you look at it, I have a leak. Leaks and rattles really bother me. I can't put up with either

LorenBateman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lyea i did the compression check over all three cyls on this side of the engine.and yes i have switched the plug wire from one cyl to another,,have u heard of and exhaust gasket leak causing this issue
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dunno about exhaust gasket, but a head gasket leak would.
Drew-py

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

installed new injectors and the stainless steel vacuum lines from Drew ( one was a duplicate) only to fine on tear down that the egr tube flange was split in two pieces..ordered a new one from Rodney

ummm... was it not a complete set?, sorry, do you need some return on the purchase
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

lyea i did the compression check over all three cyls on this side of the engine.and yes i have switched the plug wire from one cyl to another,,have u heard of and exhaust gasket leak causing this issue

I wasn't talking about a compression test. I was saying a "running compression test". that is testing the cylinders while the engine is running. Take the check valve out of the hose and screw it in the cylinder. Run the engine for a short time while reading the gauge. Then compare it to another GOOD cylinder. If both cylinders are the same then that's in good condition. Some times there is a mechanical problem such as a rounded lobe on the camshaft that will not show up on just a compression test because the valve would be closed all the time. I have never heard of an exhaust leak at the manifold causing a cylinder to be dead

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 03-13-2015).]

LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

I wasn't talking about a compression test. I was saying a "running compression test". that is testing the cylinders while the engine is running. Take the check valve out of the hose and screw it in the cylinder. Run the engine for a short time while reading the gauge. Then compare it to another GOOD cylinder. If both cylinders are the same then that's in good condition. Some times there is a mechanical problem such as a rounded lobe on the camshaft that will not show up on just a compression test because the valve would be closed all the time. I have never heard of an exhaust leak at the manifold causing a cylinder to be dead

aaaa i see what your saying..no have not done that. maybe a valve not seating or a broke rocker arm stud.no Drew all is good

Drew-py

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sorry peoples I have not been around lately. I have had a lot going on with the purchase of a new home, doing repairs to get it move in ready then moving. all the while prepping the old house for renting.
Drew-py

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Drew-py

73 posts
Member since Apr 2014

when you switched the plug wire did the problem move or stay with cyl 5?
PFF
System Bot
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it stayed at 5 going to pull the valve cover off tomorrow to see if any thing is up with it
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2015 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alright gents im at wits end on this.. Its the number 5 cyl.that has the miss,,new plugs ,plug wires , cap,rotor, compression check, injectors,egr and egr tube,..put in stainless steel vacuum lines..came off the hwy one evening after work and it was missing..now seems to be only missing at idle and low rpm..could this be an exhaust gasket leak???

Copied from ZMCDONAL thread.
I finally figured out what was causing the misfire, I took my stethoscope to listen to each the injector pulse and make sure I didn't have a stuck injector and I discovered vacuum leaks at the injector o-rings. so $12 later and about an hour of my time and it runs like a totally different engine. The o-ring on injector 4 was really torn up, the rest of them looked to be in good shape, but must have not been seated properly or something. The new o-rings were beefier and the autozone listing said they were an improved design.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope you guys have more to show for your efforts than I do. I broke the plastic rivet that holds the hood spring. I halfway rebuilt my headlight motors (gaskets & cogs), but the screws didn't arrive today. I still can't find a jack mount bracket bolt. I didn't find a cap for my AC dryer. I didn't get the wiring harness under the dash fixed. I didn't get the dash put back together. Since my new relays also didn't arrive, I have the old relays out, but nothing to put in. My exhaust manifolds look rusty, but it didn't seem to be my day, so I didn't touch them.

Very frustrating. Not one single thing accomplished. Well, I guess I did air up the tires.

To show for my efforts, I have cuts, bruises, a broken nail, electrical tape gooey residue all over my hands, parts everywhere, and lots of wire under my dash.
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had days like that and I mean days. Other days as smooth as could be
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had one of those yesterday and part of today with the lousy valve spring compressing tool. The pacifica exhaust spring are long and barely fit in the tool, glad that part is over, pistons and crank back in also.
Didn't get around to burning the bushing out of the fiero.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 03-15-2015).]

LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WELL HELL sad day for me 1st i turned 51 today lol..Second found it is a blown head gasket as there is gas in the oil...So heres the ?..if it were you?
option one: fix w/ new heads
option two: do the easiest swap there is ( i dont know which that is by the way)
option three: S/C 3.8 or sbc

ran s second comp check on the right cly today and they were 105, 35, 0 .lol
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Figures. Gas in the oil, or coolant in the oil?

Unrelated to the head gasket, but Happy B-day!

Well, I made no progress, either. My headlights are on the fritz.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 03-16-2015).]

LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ty tshark..its gas ive have had a gasket break just enough to push the gas out into the oil passageway before , well it was a friends vega..either way it sucks.like to find some new ones or just do a swap..but i dont think i could do that by myself
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Birthday mine was the 11th turned 53.
You already have another Fiero, I vote 3800 but I don't want to spend your money. You could swap my 2.8 in maybe when i get it out. It has 109000 on it if it is the original. Not sure what it is worth but I am thinking cradle, tranny and all that is if I run into a cradle. I did pull it and gasketed and new clutch. Just a thought and not sure when I would have it ready.
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
drew said something about a 3800 he has..dont know haw much a install would be as i only have a single car garage
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Birthday month! Belated Happy B-day, Lorne!
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2015 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy b-day Loren. You could just send the head out and have it checked for cracks and for being warped. It could just be a head gasket that is bad. If it didn't over heat I doubt if you have a bad head.

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 03-17-2015).]

LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it had over heated about 3 or 4 mouths before all this started..had water pump issue early last fall..before i trailered it home i got it pretty HOT
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2015 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got one so hot it quit running. After it cooled off, I fixed the leak, and drove 1.5 hours home. I removed the 2.8 for a 4.9. Gave the 2.8 away. The new owner just pulled his high-mileage 2.8 with a thrown rod and put my 2.8 in. He had it running the same day. He's put over 30K miles on it, last I heard. That motor had 130K on in when I gave it to him.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2015 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be at the shop again for some more fun!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 04:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I could join in the fun!!!!
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Family comes first I am sure but your first weekend you can make it, we will have a beer and brat or .....waiting for you.
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yep running or not ,, ill bring the brats
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. We're running late. Had met up by this time, last year.
Drew-py

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motor I will have for sale is the one I am currently running in my car, it will not be coming out until late next fall for a winter car refurbishments.

Also a bit late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY all the same.
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Drew-py I still owe you for the seat belt. I'll pay you the next time we get together
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Drew-py:

The motor I will have for sale is the one I am currently running in my car, it will not be coming out until late next fall for a winter car refurbishments.

Also a bit late but HAPPY BIRTHDAY all the same.

I think I already asked but do you have any stock rockers for the 3800 lying around?
Drew-py

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2015 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Drew-pySend a Private Message to Drew-pyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No I dont have much anything internal to the 3800 its aftermarket goodies now
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will be at the shop tomorrow doing some more of this, made my own little press with some sockets.

Can't believe my shocks were completely gone but the car didn't bounce down the road.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2015 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That does explain some things, though. Remember going over the railroad tracks? I was a few cars back, but it looked a bit...odd.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The weather is improving, and people are starting their Spring thing. Driving/working on Fieros, all the fun stuff. NI even took mine out for a drive. The brakes work MUCH better when adjusted correctly.

Where have you all gone? Lorne, Loren, notwohorns?
LorenBateman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LorenBatemanSend a Private Message to LorenBatemanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still here , check in every day,,have not had the motivation to tear into it yet..but thinking tomorrow since all the yard work got done yesterday
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you're still plugging away, Loren.

I hope notwohorns didn't get swallowed by his new project.
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2015 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

I hope notwohorns didn't get swallowed by his new project.

No, I'm still here. Just with spring being here and all the yard work, been keeping me busy. I had one hell of a time trying to register my new GT. It was in a trust. I had to have the correct paper work and it took me several tries with the PO and the DMV. Finally got it done last Tuesday. I've be holding off working on it til I could get it registered. All good now. Michael, when did you say you're going up to the Dells?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 23 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock