Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 35)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think you missed this part...

Originally posted by Formula88:

IP: Logged
4186Nb

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2013 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4186NbSend a Private Message to 4186NbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mwzephyr, Top Gear posts their shows on YouTube, so you can catch it after the fact, even if you can't catch it right away.
Not sure exactly when they will post it - or if they will, but that's a good starting point.
Official YouTube link online; http://www.youtube.com/user/TopGear
HiggsBoson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HiggsBosonSend a Private Message to HiggsBosonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Kathryn,

i saw your Thinkr Video Today on youtube, than i digged through ALL the pages of this thread and now i registered here just to say: Thank you. You are really inspiring me.
Keep up the good work and enjoy yourself.

If you and your family get the chance to visit germany (especially the famous Nürburgring Nordschleife ), just let me know, i would be grateful to give you and your family some rides over this famous racetrack :-)

with best regards from germany
Matthias
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
edit HiggsBoson, that's a real nice offer from you for Kathryn. WOW! She has friends and admirers everywhere. 8^)
~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 08-22-2013).]

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
mderue

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mderueSend a Private Message to mderueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, removed the question.

[This message has been edited by mderue (edited 08-22-2013).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Top Gear comment was a JOKE.

I'm sorry for any confusion it may have caused.

I say again - I have no knowledge of Kathryn being on Top Gear. I was making a joke. The offending post has been removed.
Please stop asking about it so the rumor doesn't spread any further. I don't want it to derail Kathryn's thread.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 08-31-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn, has there been any recent progress on the car? Any little tidbit you can give us?
4186Nb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 4186NbSend a Private Message to 4186NbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, it would be kind of funny if she actually WAS on top gear. Actually - I wouldn't put it past her, would you?
bulldog85043

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bulldog85043Send a Private Message to bulldog85043Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 4186Nb:

well, it would be kind of funny if she actually WAS on top gear. Actually - I wouldn't put it past her, would you?

Hmmm...anyone know the people at A&E or BBC1/BBCAmerica? Just sayin'...

kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oh my goodness.
okay just to clear things up i was in England visiting family...my mom's British so half of my family lives over there.
and no...i wasn't on Top Gear.
okay tidbits:
um...school's starting on Tuesday...uggh.
and mostly i'm deciding on paint and where i'm going to paint / when.
also i need to get going on my engine. also i'm taking a small engines class at school this tri. apparently the class will probably be all guys except for me. don't know what i think about that currently.
all in all i'm just trying to adjust and get re-started after being gone for a month.
i promise i'll let you all know if something else happens / gets done
thank you all for being patient with me. but i'm home now. so it's time to start working again
-kathryn
PFF
System Bot
crateenginedepot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crateenginedepotClick Here to visit crateenginedepot's HomePageSend a Private Message to crateenginedepotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi kathryn, and welcome back home.

Don't worry about being the only girl in the class. I had a autos class every year through HS and this goes back to the 70's (showing my age). I think there was almost always one girl in our class. It worked out just fine. Just don't be surprised when your the one showing they boys how to fix things.
Best wishes
Tom
CED
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn,
about school and being "the only girl"... Don't sweat the little stuff.

~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 09-28-2013).]

hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What part of England does your fam live in? My fiancé lives in Lowestoft, tbh I hate going over there :P cant wait for her to get her immigration visa...
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey everyone,
thanks for the support with school and everything.
school starts on tuesday! i'm still trying to figure out what happened to my summer...
also my family lives in Yorkshire, England.
i just got on to say hey. hope to have updates soon
-kathryn
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2013 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
alright...u can all relax now...lol
i went to work on the car on saturday and I have made a little progress.
the drivers side door is now off the car so i can take off the door skin and switch out a few other small things.
the exhaust is also now separated from the engine cradle too!
once i finish the little bits of work on the doors and seal up the windows ect. i can begin putting all my interior back in yay!
also i'll be working on the car again on tuesday so i'll hopefully have more progress to report then.
thanks for everything and for being my motivational team.
thank you also for getting me to work when all i want is to be lazy
-kathryn
crateenginedepot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crateenginedepotClick Here to visit crateenginedepot's HomePageSend a Private Message to crateenginedepotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We love prgress pictures............ hint, hint

[This message has been edited by crateenginedepot (edited 09-16-2013).]

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 09-28-2013).]

Shoshe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShosheSend a Private Message to ShosheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stalled.....Bump
PFF
System Bot
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress updates are rather slow, I sure hope Kathryn hasn't lost interest
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lets give her some space.
Have faith.
She is still a teenager, and has a life too...
PD1949

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PD1949Send a Private Message to PD1949Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Zep for saying that. I know she hasn't lost interest but these last few weeks have been super busy with school and just getting back from the Uk after a month, so much to do and so little time. She really loves this forum and the members and wants to keep everyone up to date but you've all heard lots of things and I'm sure she wants to tell major events. I know she's gathering all the engine parts and now she needs a big block of time free, hard to find when her day starts at 5:30 AM and stops late. These last few weeks have been heavy on homework and Hiker says she's fighting a cold or something this last week. SO don't loose faith or interest, she hasn't. She just needs more hours to work and sleep. Thanks for all the support and great comments. We've all been there and know. I just couldn't not post. Papa D.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally, I was happy to see her take a break, life is too short to be focused on one material item, especially a car. It should be a fun rewarding project and at her age that means it will go through cycles in order to balance her life, priorities, and budget.

I giver her a lot of credit, she still accomplished more regarding her Fiero, than I did this year. I hardly did anything this year with my car due to other priorities, and this stinking economy.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys take a big breath i'm going to keep you updated as much as possible...but yeah i've been sick and school and everything.
so updates...
i'm going to have to put the doors back on the car when i just took the one off in order to roll up the windows to finish removing the dew wipes...talk about irony. and then once i get those switched over and keep the windows rolled up all the interior goes back in...my mom will be happy about that...a lot less stuff all over.
i'm working on switching my pistons because the other ones i ordered were wrong...for a duel overhead cam or something like that so yeah. and then i need to get some painting stuff sorted out.
also as you all know i'm in that power mechanics class and i'm doing really well, it's fun and it's the class where i just have fun because it's something i like doing. so in that class i'm on a team with three other guys. (there were four but one moved to texas) so that's been an interesting experience...i've...no oops. we've torn apart a little 1 cylinder 4 stroke engine...not sure of the exact size sorry. but now we're starting to put it back together...i've gotten to use a parts cleaning tank so that was fun. um....let's think.
i'm pretty sure i've covered most of it...
and i'd put up pictures if things looked much different...soon they will though.
thanks for everything...and thanks for keeping on at me and getting me to work even on the days i just want to do nothing.
-kathryn
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey! I'm also in an engines class and right now we're tearing down some 3100 SFI V6s and it's pretty fun.
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BUMP

~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 10-13-2013).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

i'm going to have to put the doors back on the car when i just took the one off in order to roll up the windows to finish removing the dew wipes...talk about irony. -kathryn

I am assuming that you have electric windows. You can roll them up and down with the doors off by connecting 12V to the wires. A 5-amp or higher battery charger will work.
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey guys...sorry...been busy.
but you don't want to hear more excuses so i'll just tell you what's been happening.
okay so my block is painted...yellow!! and yeah i know that's not the authentic/original color...but it goes with my color scheme. so yup.
and then i've got my new pistons pressed onto the connecting rods, i just got those back from the shop...yesterday? i think.
so i'll have my first attempt at getting my lower half of the engine back together on tuesday of next week...wish me luck.
I'll try to get some pics posted soon...also Happy Halloween everyone!!!
again sorry for all the delays...i'll do better once i get back into a better rhythm for balancing school and hobbies.
-kathryn
PFF
System Bot
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2013 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yellow is a "Bee"-utiful color for an engine. Just have to make sure it stays clean.
Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 11-02-2013).]

rpro

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rproSend a Private Message to rproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn,

Please check your private messages.

Robert
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2013 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn what I like about the Fiero community is that everyone does to their cars what they want and no one minds! I have been in other car "communities" and if it isnt stock or NOS they have a fit. I guess that is why I left the others and have hung around with the Fiero "Nuts". It is your car you do what you want!
Remember school is more important than the car! Take if from an old guy, study, study, study. You will have time for fun and other stuff later in life! My son who is an automotive engineer would say the same thing! I know he wished he would have spent more time in the books.

Peace be with you!

Steve
TedKnudson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 05:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TedKnudsonClick Here to visit TedKnudson's HomePageSend a Private Message to TedKnudsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am posting a picture of a kayaker welded sculpture that Kathryn made for me. I sent her some pictures of me in my kayak and this is what she came up with. I think it is great. http://www.aasupport.com/Kayak.jpg
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those of you in the Chicago Area, Kathryn will be joining the NIFE meeting via skype on Nov 16th.

NIFE Club Meeting (NEW LOCATION): Streamwood Library - Streamwood, IL:
NOTE: this is a new location for our club meetings! The Poplar Creek Library in Streamwood, IL is located at 1405 S. Park Avenue in Streamwood, IL. You can call 630-837-6800 if you need directions. The library is located between Irving Park Road (Rt. 19) and Lake Street (Rt. 20) and between Bartlett Road and Barrington Road. Our meeting will start at 1:00pm.
Join us for a special Skype meeting with the young Kathryn Dimaria from Michigan. It all started back on April 18, 2011 when Kathryn's dad went onto Pennocks Fiero Forum (www.fiero.nl) and posted, "So we have been working on the car now for about 3 months, but as I have been prowling the forum I realized I should probably post the story. As some of you might be interested in it. A few months ago our 12-year-old DAUGHTER came in and said, ‘Dad, Mom, can we talk for a minute?’ We agreed, and she presented us with something she had been thinking about. She said that she would like to buy a car with her babysitting money. We were like, you are only 12.” Kathryn’s car of choice was indeed a Fiero! Since then, Kathryn has made the media circuit from local news to making the homepage of CNN.com. Join us as we talk with Kathryn and what her experience has been since starting this project car at the age of 12. Once Kathryn is finished with her story we will open it up for a Q&A session.
We will also have a special presentation from Matt Ingram of Ctek who is known for "The smallest battery chargers in the world". Matt will go over the ins and outs of properly charging your car’s battery during the winter storage season. He will also talk to us about the new development of chargers such as how Ctek uses a unique charge algorithm. CTEK Smarter Battery Chargers go through eight steps to constantly read and communicate with your battery, charging only to its direct needs and therefore avoiding any possibility of incorrectly charging the battery. Feel free to visit their website at www.smartercharger.com to check out the new line of chargers. Matt will bring some literature as well as samples of some of their chargers.

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE / 3800 s/c
Fieros For Sale

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2013 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is all my fault...I'm the slacker! Kathryn has been progressing...slowly as the work gets even more difficult, time consuming, technical, etc. But progressing. For those of you that know the girl, or have been following for a while you know that she likes to do it herself, even when it would be faster, easier, or in some cases cheaper to have others do it for her. So we are getting there. I apologize for not keeping up with the photos like I should for you all and resolve to do better. I need to go back and read the last couple of pages as well and respond to many of you,. Again, thanks for all that you do to support her in her project and keeping her motivated and enthused. So without further ado, on to some of the recent progress!

Thanks to one of our forum members Kathryn ended up with a nearly brand new exhaust system from a GT. Of course, to get it in the box it had to be cut into a few pieces so that means it needs to be reassembled and put back together. Good thing Kathryn has gotten better at welding because as we all know pipe can be a bit tricky and this stuff isn't that thick to begin with. Here is the assembled exhaust ready to go back on the cradle and mounts:

Here are a few closer views of the welds

And you'll notice that the cat is gone as well. Kathryn figured it wasn't needed on the OBDI engine she would prefer to go with less restriction in the hopes of gaining a few horse soooo...

and of course a few closeups of the welds

but perhaps the most fun that she has had as been the progress on this:

Yes indeed, those are the main bearings going into the 3.4!!!!!!

and the crank ready to get checked in for clearance:

of course Kathryn said the post wouldn't be complete without you being able to see the bright yellow block...I'm not sure how you can miss it!

--MH

87 Pegasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87 PegasusSend a Private Message to 87 PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

hey guys...sorry...been busy.
but you don't want to hear more excuses so i'll just tell you what's been happening.
okay so my block is painted...yellow!! and yeah i know that's not the authentic/original color...but it goes with my color scheme. so yup.
and then i've got my new pistons pressed onto the connecting rods, i just got those back from the shop...yesterday? i think.
so i'll have my first attempt at getting my lower half of the engine back together on tuesday of next week...wish me luck.
I'll try to get some pics posted soon...also Happy Halloween everyone!!!
again sorry for all the delays...i'll do better once i get back into a better rhythm for balancing school and hobbies.
-kathryn

kathryn: Figured i'd reach out to you on here. Are you receiving the e-mails to you and your dad about the 11/16/2013 Skype for the NIFE meeting? I e-mailed a few times over the past couple weeks. Just wanted to firm everything up before this weekend. If you could e-mail me back with your Skype information we would plan on connecting around 1:45 (cst) on the 16th.

Thank you,
Mike

mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Cool to see the engine getting assembled!
The heart of her car will beating soon...
Kathryn has put a lot of soul and effort into her ride.
Thanks for the engine pics!
They were worth waiting for.

Best of luck!
~Zep
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87 Pegasus:

kathryn: Figured i'd reach out to you on here. Are you receiving the e-mails to you and your dad about the 11/16/2013 Skype for the NIFE meeting? I e-mailed a few times over the past couple weeks. Just wanted to firm everything up before this weekend. If you could e-mail me back with your Skype information we would plan on connecting around 1:45 (cst) on the 16th.

Thank you,
Mike

Mike, thanks, yes...got it and Kathryn should be emailing this evening. I believe we are all set!

MH

This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock