Thread Closed  Topic Closed
  Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero (Page 22)

Printable Version

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
12 year olds and cars - Kathryn's Fiero by michhiker28
Started on: 04-18-2011 04:37 PM
Replies: 1742 (1027767 views)
Last post by: Cliff Pennock on 02-13-2024 03:58 AM
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2012 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also taught myself how to weld fixing the frame rails on my car. It's so intimidating at first because of all the variables involved, but once you get started, it's really fun! Real handy skill to have, too.
IP: Logged
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw you just uploaded some welding videos

Some good welding gloves would help you not burn yourself. I have a pair of these, and they're great, especially when you accidentally touch something hot:

http://www.millerwelds.com/...cial/heavy_duty_mig/
michhiker28

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2012 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow RWD, that was fast!

Yes, we took some video of Kathryn welding tonight. As many of you have probably noticed in previous photos Kathryn's upper frame rails are absolutely shot! 26 years of Michigan winters and salt have definitely not done them any favors, and it was an area that she was pretty nervous about. Of course the easy way would be to either pony up some more money and buy another car then just transfer her parts, or get someone on the forum that really loves her to come fix it for her.

But of course you guys all know Kathryn and so she has to do it herself....all of it.

So here are some photos of what we had to work with...after we got them cleaned up a bit:

So since Kathryn has to do it all herself (at her insistance), this means starting with flat stock. Taking cardboard templates of what used to be there, and comparing to our known dimenstions from the book, and then tracing the part onto sheet metal. Then cutting it with a cutting wheel and shears:

Once the part is cut, it needs cleaned up with a grinding wheel and then clamped into place where the existing part used to be. Then it is time to fire up the welder.

Here are some examples of the tacks and beads that she was able to accomplish tonight:

and some of the mostly finished rail:

and of course one very happy and pround 14 year old....not bad for a couple hours of work

If some of you would like to see it in video....here are some links...I'm not as good as RWD at punching the holes so you see them here, but the links should take you there.

http://youtu.be/bSEtOr4TjVI

http://youtu.be/rxzA5OsMyiU

http://youtu.be/bGen-WhWVqQ

http://youtu.be/UFYlaoHhIx0

I'm sure you will all be hearing from Kathryn soon too. Till next time.
-MH
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
way to go girl! keep up the fantastic work.
D.
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everybody,
RWD I just want to thank you for posting that video for me that was really nice of you. Also I just want to thank you all for all of your brilliant feedback and comments. Thanks also for sharing your ideas and knowledge you have all been so helpful and encouraging throughout this project/dream.
-kathryn
Gokart Mozart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2012 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great progress!
May I suggest putting some kind of rust inhibitor like Eastwood's Rubberized Rust Encapsulator so things don't rust again over the next 25 years.
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great pics!
Thanks for getting us back into your project.
New metal in factory fabrication lines usually gets cleaned in an acid based soap
and after a fresh water rinse gets a dip in a phosphatised bath and then gets another rinse.
Because this is not a frame off restoration that is not possible.
It is important though that something, even if it is just a primer,
should be put over the metal, cleaned or not.
Epoxy with a rustproofing formula is what I have used in the past.
Hey even having a ziebart job done on a skinnless car would not be a bad idea.
Crazy I am sure, but It would keep the car stable for years to come...
Just my opinion, floating ideas here.
Great welding Kathryn!

~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 10-21-2012).]

michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2012 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all. We will definately be treating the metal before the body goes back on. We have some good product thanks to 3M that we will be putting down once the fab work is done. Thanks again to the 3M crew! Also, Kathryn talked with CNN again tonight they are going to be using some of the footage from makers faire etc., for an upcoming segment on her. We'll let you know when that airs. I'm sure we will be back down doing some more welding and fabrication later this week as well as some engine work. We need to see just out out of tolerance her 3.4 is.

-MH
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump
Ridgelandbaseball

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just saw the story/video on CNN.com. "14 old builds car she can't drive" Congrats.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2012 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tony
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Kania

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-24-2012 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/...-jtb-ideas-fiero.cnn

Even more

Congrats on all of your hard work. You and your family are tops in my book!

Tony
Will-Martin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://www.cnn.com/TECH/

She made the front page of TECH today - "A girl, the internet, and her Fiero." Congrats.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/...index.html?hpt=te_t1
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With lots of information about our forum friends as well! Thanks CNN!
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/...lds-fiero/index.html
-MH
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, the story is on the front page of CNN right now: http://www.cnn.com/

WOW!

------------------

Recent major upgrade at Whodeanie Customs with many cool TLG Automotive parts

www.yellowfiero.com Pictures Modifications

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 10-24-2012).]

AkursedX

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AkursedXSend a Private Message to AkursedXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, that was a great read! Way to go Kathryn!

------------------
'04 Mazda RX8 Build Thread
'88 GT- 3800 Turbo 11.367@121.03mph (Sold and gone now)
GM Tuners

topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I just saw this on the front page of CNN - The article had a pretty good write upon Fieros, and the Forum - I suspect that the site is going to get a FLOOD of hits. I am having a hard time getting to some of the threads today.

Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 295
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That was a fantastic article from CNN.. One of the best articles I have seen about your project Kathryn...

Hello CNNers!
mwzephyr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mwzephyrSend a Private Message to mwzephyrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kudos to Jamie Gumbrecht, CNN for writing a great story.
I learned a lot about Kathryn and her dad and family in the video.
They represent something good that continues to happen in our culture
and so does the entire Fiero forum group;
Kinda like a "hands across the generations" type thing.
It is totally cool!

Wish more of this type of thing would hit the airwaves more often.

Take a bow Kathryn, you inspire us, no joke.
~Zep

[This message has been edited by mwzephyr (edited 10-24-2012).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 698
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by topcat:

I am having a hard time getting to some of the threads today.

I made some tweaks to the server so it should be able to handle the load and traffic a bit better.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

I made some tweaks to the server so it should be able to handle the load and traffic a bit better.

YAY for proactive Cliff!
michhiker28

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michhiker28Send a Private Message to michhiker28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cliff!
Way to go Kiddo!
-MH
nellieship

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nellieshipClick Here to visit nellieship's HomePageSend a Private Message to nellieshipEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn - you don't know me but I am Tyler Shipman's mom. A friend of mine forwarded your story on CNN to me just moments ago. Needless to say I am sitting at my keyboard bawling my eyes out. You are a very special young lady! And what a great family you seem to have!

This is the part of the article that touched me: "Kathryn and her family don't know the Shipmans, but they plan to be there next year. The hood badge on her finished car will be in memory of Tyler, a teen who didn't get enough time with his Fiero."

I hope with all my heart that you are able to make it next year. You are an inspirational young lady and without even knowing you I am proud of all you have accomplished. Yes... there is just something about those Fieros and the Fieroheads that love them. Tyler would wholeheartedly agree. His outlook on life was summed up with "get out and ride." Your ride is just beginning and I wish you much happiness and adventure in your travels

If you would PM me your address I would like to send you a care package.

------------------

Tylers Annual Car Show

Tylers Toy

Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome story. Took me a minute to remember my login but I just wanted to pass along my congrats.

Fiero's are amazingly addictive!
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,
I just wanted to say thank you for all of the congrats but you all have some credit in this project as well so thank you all soo much!
You are all such an inspiration and you have all been so helpful in keeping me motivated! Just FYI I will be going down to work on some different things tomorrow night. Hopefully some welding....
So updates will be coming soon...promise.
And Cliff sorry about messing up your site again...
So be writing again tomorrow,
Thanks again for all of the support encouragement enthusiasm really the list could go on forever.
-kathryn
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kathryn:

And Cliff sorry about messing up your site again...

Don't worry about it. You're not messing up the site.

The server should be able to handle the load easily but it's optimized for the "usual" number of visitors. So when it's hit by a much higher number of visitors, I just need to adjust the settings and all will be well again. I just caught it a bit late because I've been away most of the day.

So again, don't worry about it. The server can handle it without problems.

zetabird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zetabirdSend a Private Message to zetabirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wow i just stumbeled on this on facebook, keep it up kathryn your doing a great job your puttim most of my freainds that think they know cars to shame, and im not sure but i dont think cliff minds you breaking the site im sure its all worth it!!
mrfred8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Don't worry about it. You're not messing up the site.

The server should be able to handle the load easily but it's optimized for the "usual" number of visitors. So when it's hit by a much higher number of visitors, I just need to adjust the settings and all will be well again. I just caught it a bit late because I've been away most of the day.

So again, don't worry about it. The server can handle it without problems.

I am sure extra traffic is a good problem to have

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8 aka (Hat tip to Mr. J. Jones!)
http://jalopnik.com/5901950...or-her-sweet-sixteen
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CNN.... VERY IMPRESSIVE! Congratulations!
Wild Horse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wild HorseSend a Private Message to Wild HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Kathryn
Once again, you have put me in Awe. Your talents in front of the camera are getting so much better (with all the practice you are getting).

I see that Tylers' Mom has been by to pay a visit to the thread, it is an honor to see her come in.

While we may inspire you to continue your work, You inspire us all... You are doing what many of us have only dreamed of doing.

------------------
Here to support Kathryn's Fiero, You inspire us all

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Really great article and interview on CNN, Kathryn!
The hood emblem in honor of Tyler is such an awesome touch.

So, do you have an official countdown until your Sweet 16 to make sure the car is ready by then?
tomsablon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2012 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsablonSend a Private Message to tomsablonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
your first personalized tag . " MKNNEWS " . OR POSSIBLY , " DID THIS"
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nellieship:

Kathryn - you don't know me but I am Tyler Shipman's mom.

This is the part of the article that touched me: "Kathryn and her family don't know the Shipmans, but they plan to be there next year. The hood badge on her finished car will be in memory of Tyler, a teen who didn't get enough time with his Fiero.".

For some reason I can't see my screen quite as clearly at the moment. That is very touching.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-25-2012).]

MiseryLou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 03:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiseryLouClick Here to visit MiseryLou's HomePageSend a Private Message to MiseryLouEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tomsablon:

your first personalized tag . " MKNNEWS " . OR POSSIBLY , " DID THIS"

Or maybe "SANDING".

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BYMYSLF As in Built It By My Self.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An awesome story, and it keeps gettin' more and more awesome. SO glad you are being recognized.
This will hopefully get you connected with some folks who can help you get to places not easily reached.
Companies and researchers need to offer you tools, sponsorships, scholarships, employment, opportunities. (Pre, send her a Makerbot!)

What I love most is that you display such gratitude and appreciation. Your family and your core relationships and perspective are what we need more of in the world.

There's (at least) one book which needs to be written here.
I'm not talking about making money, it's about passing this stuff on to others.
Better to read this then negative drivel or self-help books.

I wish my son could hang out with you - he's young, but he could hold the screws or fetch a wrench...

You are and will continue to be an internet celebrity, but you have such legitimacy and awesomeness, I don't think it will get to your head. Just stay clear of any negative stuff. Don't waste your time with it. Some people hate rainbows. They're silly and need a hug.

Get connected with some folks in wide areas - biology and astronomy and whatever interests you. Ride the wave and continue to make actual connections (not the typical Social network types)

You're parents will help you with that...

Hope I get to meet you and your family someday, and have you autograph the side of some fantastical thing which you created which changed (improved) the world.

POWER TO THE CREATORS!

Be well.

-Rumor

-----------------------

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 10-25-2012).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

An awesome story, and it keeps gettin' more and more awesome. SO glad you are being recognized.
This will hopefully get you connected with some folks who can help you get to places not easily reached.
Companies and researchers need to offer you tools, sponsorships, scholarships, employment, opportunities. (Pre, send her a Makerbot!)

What I love most is that you display such gratitude and appreciation. Your family and your core relationships and perspective are what we need more of in the world.

There's (at least) one book which needs to be written here.
I'm not talking about making money, it's about passing this stuff on to others.
Better to read this then negative drivel or self-help books.

I wish my son could hang out with you - he's young, but he could hold the screws or fetch a wrench...

You are and will continue to be an internet celebrity, but you have such legitimacy and awesomeness, I don't think it will get to your head. Just stay clear of any negative stuff. Don't waste your time with it. Some people hate rainbows. They're silly and need a hug.

Get connected with some folks in wide areas - biology and astronomy and whatever interests you. Ride the wave and continue to make actual connections (not the typical Social network types)

You're parents will help you with that...

Hope I get to meet you and your family someday, and have you autograph the side of some fantastical thing which you created which changed (improved) the world.

POWER TO THE CREATORS!

Be well.

-Rumor

So *very* well said!
All the documentation is going to make for an incredible "Build Diary" when it's done.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfred8:

I am sure extra traffic is a good problem to have

If you are referring to the Google banners, then yes, yesterday's banner revenue was 5x as high as usual. Unfortunately, that's still only $15...
kathryn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2012 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kathrynClick Here to visit kathryn's HomePageSend a Private Message to kathrynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone
just to remind you that tonight i should be getting some things done and will be posting updates.
Thanks again to everyone, and FYI I'm not so sure that I'd like to be reminded of so many hours I wasted sanding on my car whenever I look at my car....lol
Thank you everyone and I hope that you know how much you have all helped me!
-kathryn
This thread has been moved here: The Construction Zone.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 44 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   39   40   41   42   43   44 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock