Once the rebuilt spoiler was tacked on, it was time to remove the black tape and cut it up.
Then glass in the center sections.
Then the spoiler was reattached to the fender by filling in the 2" gap and glassing in the front and back. I also added some glass to the lip, repairing a number of cracks and filling the old screw holes. One of the centers was lower than the other, so I took the opportunity to fix that too.
I wanted to see what the splitter was going to look like, so I mocked it up with some plywood. I still don't know how I'm going to make it, so it's on the do-it-later project list.
Now, as always, my project here seems to evolve, and sometimes what goes around, comes around. So, if you'll recall, on page two or three, I was once making integrated headlights for my then Fiero fascia build.
Well, I made molds that have been sitting on the shelf.
Tired of thinking how to make the pop-ups work, and fitting them properly, I thought I'd pull a part from the mold and see how it looks. (Boz...)
The mold wasn't 100% complete, so it took a little effort getting the part off, but it came out ok. One layer of glas kept it flexible enough to pop off. Below are pics of the mold sitting on the car.
I think it looks pretty good with the lines lining up pretty good with the facia. Almost as if I made it for this car.
I was still on the fence about the amount of work doing this versus the pop-ups. And believe it or not, I'm tenative to cut up the front.
Damned the torpedoes, full speed ahead.
Lots of measuring, cutting, trimming, trimming more, trimming too much, tape, glass, and a day, one integrated headlight bucket.
Obviously there's still a lot of work to do: - Make the driver's side bucket - Install it - Fab the light brackets - fill the holes in the hood - etc.
[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 08-06-2017).]
Over two weeks since last update. Not much has really happened. Seems something in the garage, and particularly working on the car, doesn't agree with me. I came down with a pretty serious infection in my elbow, the second infection in the last three months, the other being on the opposite forearm. The only thing common is working on the fiberglass, but this time I had rubber sleeves on. So, I really don't know what caused it.
Anyway, I'm still on break until it fully heals up.
Here are the pics from the last time I worked on it.
Pulled the hood off. The darned thing is heavier than the rest of the front, combined.
Then I built up the sides to fill in the area previously cut out and give it a finished edge when open. It also greatly strengthened the top portion that was added.
When that was all setting up, I added a "decorative" lip at the top of the hood. This was a part I cut out of the original 308 hood, and it will be molded in to the arches on the sides of the hood.
I also made the fill piece for the corner of the hood. I don't have a good pic, but it's at theright corner of this one.
That's it for now. Tune in later for the next great adventure in car mods.
Edit... Found one more. I molded in the area between the lights and the hood.
[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 09-09-2017).]
Hard to believe it's been three months already since my last update.
Nothing really to say. My arm healed well, but I was burnt from all the time spent, plus gun shy from the infection. Then October and Halloween prep came and went. Then November came with work, travel, and Thanksgiving. More work came with December, along with yard work and a ton of leaves. Now the snow is falling hard. And here we are.
Fiberglassing is out in the cold, so hopefully the winter will bring an end to the seat fabrication, and any other fab.
Happy Holidays and a safe and merry christmas everyone.