Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  RCR's body mods... (Page 6)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RCR's body mods... by RCR
Started on: 06-15-2009 07:28 PM
Replies: 657 (38263 views)
Last post by: RCR on 11-17-2023 07:56 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree...

How about this?

Bob
IP: Logged
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the straight lines of the hood on the other one fit the look better. Perhaps if you drew it from a different angle so see how it looks from a different perspective? the changes to the headlight doors look interesting.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 04-18-2014).]

exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow,

impressed already with just what you did with that busted up rear panel. This is going to be a good one.

I like how you tweeked the hood to make it different.

rcr i like that last nose you posted.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-18-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New wheels ordered so I can set fender locations (and so I can have new wheels).

XXR521's 18x10 and 18x8.5

I'll put off new tires until it's closer to road worthy.

Bob
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wheels look great!
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bob
Looks like your well under way, wheels look great .
Are you widening the suspension or using spacers with the offset?

Wayne
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobie1:

Hi Bob
Looks like your well under way, wheels look great .
Are you widening the suspension or using spacers with the offset?

Wayne

Hey Wayne... If I did my calculations correctly, the rears should come out to the current fender lips. The rears have a 25mm offset. I'm a little sketcher on the fronts. I balanced it between coming all the way out and maintaining the stock scrub radius, so I went with a 35mm offset. Eventually I will probably widen the fronts (and add power steering). I doubt I will do the back (at least I'm not thinking about it).

As for status, I'm kind of waiting on the SMC adhesive to glue the hood together.

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picture update...

Passenger side flange for hood piece:

Driver's side mounted:

Changes to the nose:

Over all look:

Shortened nose:

Mad scientist:

Nose reattached and passenger side glued down;

Bob

Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates?
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Any updates?

Nothing really. I made a set of car stands out of 2x10s so that I can keep it up in the air, but at ride height.

I need to find out why the front is so high, even with 1 loop cut out of the spring.

I'm also working on finishing the passenger side nose mods and trying to figure out how to hang the doors.

I hope to figure some things out tonight, as it will be a busy traveling soccer weekend.

later...

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress is slow at the moment, as I'm on Plan D for mounting the door skins. Not as trivial as I had hoped. I've got a ton of pics that I will post when I determine there won't be a Plan E.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Question for Mera, 308/328 clones and Stinger bodies: Does the hood normally sit so high above the rear fender line?

No wonder the window gets small. I'm thinking of ways to drop the hood more even with the tops of the fenders. Thoughts? Am I nuts?

Bob

[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Personally I would leave the height of the decklid where it is. I think you will create more problems trying to lower it.
I own Mera 8011. I will take an exact measurement of my my back window vertical height. I can tell you that the rear decklid is much higher than on the stock Fiero. Not quite half of the rear window is actually below the decklid. Visibility to the rear is not bad, although you might want to consider one of those back up camera rear view mirrors. Also does you passenger side louver have open slots allowing you to see thru it? Without this you will have a very large blind spot. My car has never been apart so I am enjoying seeing how the body work is fitted to the car. Great project!
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob:

What is the issue with attaching the doors?

Nolan
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

Bob:

What is the issue with attaching the doors?

Nolan

The door skins have a flange at the back to mount similar to the factory Fiero. The front is open. My skins had some pieces of very dry rotted wood loosely fiberglassed into place that were screwed in front, but the fit was aweful so I tore it all out.

Now I'm having a problem in figuring out how to flange the front so I can attach it to the door similar to stock. I keep screwing up the Z-axis so that the skin doesn't line up with the fender. I'm on to Plan E now as last night left me a little frustrated and pi$$@#.

I have a long weekend to figure it out, though. It's actually pretty close...

Bob
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The door fronts on my Stinger kit are open. It's not like anyone will ever see that though, nor does any dirt or air get blown in because the wheel well liner closes off the space in front of it. As long as the fiberglass door panel is thick or rigid enough to hold it's shape while being fastened from three sides, you should be OK to leave it as is.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

The door fronts on my Stinger kit are open. It's not like anyone will ever see that though, nor does any dirt or air get blown in because the wheel well liner closes off the space in front of it. As long as the fiberglass door panel is thick or rigid enough to hold it's shape while being fastened from three sides, you should be OK to leave it as is.

I can't fasten it from three sides. There is no provision to mount the top of the skin either, so that leaves the back and bottom as the only fixed mounting locations.

It's a tough one, that other's have overcome. I just need to hit on the solution that works for me.

Bob

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see... then it would probably be easier to 'glass on a return flange along the top of the door to hang it like the stock panels... even if you had to rivet a new metal strip onto the top of the door frame to hang it on.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I see... then it would probably be easier to 'glass on a return flange along the top of the door to hang it like the stock panels... even if you had to rivet a new metal strip onto the top of the door frame to hang it on.

Haven't had too much success with that yet, but maybe third time's the charm.

Bob
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These kits do have the rear deck set absurdly high, I plan on lowering mine as well, I see we're of the same mind on the nose, I want to take at least a couple of inches out of mine. You're work is looking good.

Joe
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR it is looking good. You are great with body work. I am amazed at the speed in which you are progressing.

Steve
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Haven't had too much success with that yet, but maybe third time's the charm.

Bob

It wasn't...back to the drawing board...

Joe: let's see some progress reports.

Steve: thanx. It seems a lot slower than usual from my standpoint.

Bob
PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2014 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Joe: let's see some progress reports.

Bob

Hell the only progress I'm making at this time is on the Indy Hauler, once it's out of my hair, I need to replace the trans my Dakota R/T, then I can get on with the 308. The 308 does make a cameo appearance inby my current post on the Hauler.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel, oh carp, it's a train. Joe

[This message has been edited by motoracer838 (edited 05-24-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After I don't know how many iterations, I finally settled on a way to mount the door skins.

Ultimately, I set the location of the door jam so both sides (driver/passenger) were equal, then placed two 3/16" spacers on the jam to space the door out.

I then had to place the rocker panel to set the door z-axis across the bottom. (found out after "plan 5 failed").

I ended up making pockets in the front of the door skin to hold the stock Fiero fasteners. I'll bond these in place once I'm ready. Currently they are sprung into place with strips of aluminum.

I also redid the bottom mounts to better line up with the factory holes and to clean up the existing damage (the door skins were rubbing on the previous rockers.

'Nuf chat, here are the pics (if anyone needs a better explanation, please ask)...

Now I need to finish the rear mounts of the skin and start some of the panel repairs. I need to fill the mirror holes, the latch and lock holes, and some random holes.

Bob

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Also, after much debate, I decided not to use Sage & Doug's Koenig rockers.

I still want the 430 rockers, although everything so far has fallen through. I have one mor eplan up my sleeve before I go back to the drawing board.

We'll see what happens...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 05-29-2014).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
looks good Bob. Sure is moving along at a good pace.
dobie1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobie1Send a Private Message to dobie1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Bob
Looking good Bob!!
So where do those 430 rockers come from?

Wayne
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to see that you have the door skins figured out, looks nice.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 05:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobie1:

Hi Bob
Looking good Bob!!
So where do those 430 rockers come from?

Wayne

Those aren't 430 rockers. They are the integrated rockers offered by V8Archie for stock Fieros.

I'm hoping that if they are still available, I can modify them to look like 430's.

Bob
OverKill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OverKillSend a Private Message to OverKillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any updates I have enjoyed your posts thus far

------------------
Ethan

1985 Base "The Mongoose" under the knife 472 turbo build

1988 Formula daily driver

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I need to fill the mirror holes, the latch and lock holes, and some random holes.

I'd highly recommend keeping the factory lock / key mechanisms - you'll always have a reliable way to unlock the door . I've had too many keyless enrtry systems fail to unlock the door on occasion ...

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 06-14-2014).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001

Also, after much debate, I decided not to use Sage & Doug's Koenig rockers.

sorry to hear. if i had the money for the parts and the wider wheels and tires these would already be on my car
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of playing going on, but still doesn't look like a lot.

Vents marked out in tape.

Tape carefully cut out

Cardboard template/mold made

I used the cardboard template to make an aluminum piece. This ensured all were the same. Here it is being glassed in.

Vents cut and molded

Here is the rocker that I bought from Smartaxel (nice meeting you, Jim).

It will require heavy mods to make work. Here I've cut the vent off and starting mocking up the 430 vent.

Bob

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 06-15-2014).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
And more pics:

Cut out the inside of the vent. I'm going to swap the sides to create the scallop.

Cardboard mock-up

Scallop sitting in place

Bob
Sourmug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice to see it progressing along! She's going to look great.

Nolan

Edit to add: You should PM Cliff and have him move your thread to the Construction Zone.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 06-15-2014).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've done more with the rockers in a few days then I did in 10 years.. LOL! I really need to get busy on mine! Good to meet you too!
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking Great!

I 2nd Sourmug...This is ready to be moved to the Construction Zone!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2014 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good stuff RCR !

This is going to look great, ..keep tweeking !!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2014 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

do you plan to chop it ?

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 02:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm on to Plan E now as last night left me a little frustrated and pi$$@#.

If you think the skins are bad, wait until you get to installing the handles and linkage
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2014 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

do you plan to chop it ?

I want to get a lot of the body out of the way first. I want to get it in a state similar to Bozzie's. Once i can get a good look of the profile, then I will make that decision.

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock