Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  RCR's body mods... (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RCR's body mods... by RCR
Started on: 06-15-2009 07:28 PM
Replies: 657 (38265 views)
Last post by: RCR on 11-17-2023 07:56 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2021 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Awalker W02:

Awesome work

THank you...
IP: Logged
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2021 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in late April, I started tinkering with the taillights. As shown, I made a mold to replace the vacuum formed backs. Since then, I've gone in a different direction (as usual). Here's some of the tale...

I wanted to update the lights from bulbs to LEDs. I also wanted to update the look. So, after a lot of research and some false starts, I ended up with halo rings from Superbrightleds.com.

I tried a couple sizes and ended up with the 120mm and 80mm rings. I also purchased the halos to go along.

This image shows the 120mm and a 100mm ring on a turn signal lens.

The 120mm ring and halo nearly fit perfectly into the lens. Only a slight mod to the screw bosses was required. I then used clear J-B Weld epoxy to glue the halo to the lens, and the LED ring to the halo.
I gooped enough epoxy on to seal the LED board from moisture.

Instead of using the fiberglass backing I started to make, I ordered some 1/16" ABS stock and cut out flat plates that fit right into the lens covers. To this, I mounted the inner 80mm LED ring. I was trying to provide some depth to the look.
After epoxying the LEDs to the halos, I epoxied them to the plates (I also painted the inner surface silver). I found that the back plate needed a good scuffing for the paint and epoxy to stick.
Here, you can see the outer ring mounted to the lens, and the inner ring mounted to the back plate.

The wiring on the LED boards is pretty light, so I spliced everything into some 20 awg wires. The turn signals are pretty straight forward, tie the LED wires together and bring them out the back. The brake lights were only slightly more difficult. To maintain the brake and running lamp features, I placed a diode in between the outer ring and inner ring. The brake line can now drive both rings, and the running light is the inner ring.

More epoxy was used to glue down the wiring in the housing and to seal the wires coming out. A little more epoxy was then used to glue the backs to the lens, but not so much I can't get them apart. A bead of silicone caulk was used to seal everything together. I bought some Deutch connectors to connect to the car.

Only thing left to do is to mount some studs for installation.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-02-2021).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2021 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
I also rewired all of the rear harness (as mentioned). I pretty much finished cleaning it up and terminated the ends for the new lights. I'm moving the harness from the chassis to the rear clip. There will be a single connector to ease removal of the clip.

I'm also adding in a single reverse lamp. Started modifying it to fit (and not look like it belongs on a Jeep.)...

That's it for now... Almost time to go fishing...

Take care.

Bob

shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2021 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was just catching up on this thread and going to comment on how well the bodys turning out when I saw the new lights. Thats friggin awesome man, what a cool idea! Im debating getting a new set for my build, or start molding my own lenses. The innards of my lights are pretty beat as well and ill have to come up w something soon. Love the body work, the rear end is looking good. Just keep throwing time at it when you can, getting closer and closer. But they never seem to finish lol

shem
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2021 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow - loving what you did with the LEDs in the Taillight Lenses!
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2021 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanx, Minn...

Today I played with something else a bit different. Picked up a pair of Aerocatches for the rear deck. These will match the ones on the front. Let the hacking begin.

One of the challenges was locating a spot to put them. I was going to place them near the strut towers, but I had concerns with the amount of custom work required for the deck, but anywhere was going to require custom work.
I ended up picking near the window. Unfortunately, the deck support tubes just hit where the catch post needs to go. More on that...

As can be seen in the pic, I'm going to need to add some real-estate to the deck lid to make this work.

Made template and glassed it in.

Copy paste for other side.

Now. I need to flush mount these, so I needed to make a flange underneath. I used the bottom rings as a mold to get the height right. Then glassed them in.

Notice the tube in the way. Inspiration hit, so I cut the tubes out.

And Voila, flush mounted latches.

To bring it all together, I welded in new tubing.

I'm going to have to clean up the glass and make a new return flange for the vent, but that's another day.

Here they are, back on the car. .

I will also have to make the post mounts. These will attach to the hinge supports.

Til next time... Stay safe.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-11-2021).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2021 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A quick update. Sunday was a wet day, so I tackled the post mounts. Looking back, I need more pics, but here's what I got.

The plans: sketched something up and took some measurements.

The implementation: cut some metal (after trip to Home Depot to buy metal)
I used 3/16" bar stock and c-channel. There's also a gusset that's not really viewable in the pics.

Weld it and trial fit.

In the latch.

Repeat for other side (need pics)

Later...

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-12-2021).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2021 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A tiny update:
I wired in the 12 position connector so I can separate the taillight harness from the body harness. I used another sealed Deutch connector for the job. I also fixed my blinker issue, bad relay. And, if anyone asks, and as I recently learned, it's on the steering column, not by the blue dingy thingy (that's for hazards).

Peace out ...

Bob
Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2021 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a great idea! If you don't mind me asking, how did you mount the connector so it wouldn't 'rattle' against the frame or the panels?

A picture of location where you did it would be greatly appreciated, most of the Deutch connectors I've seen are pretty large (for understandable reasons).
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2021 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Trinten:

That is a great idea! If you don't mind me asking, how did you mount the connector so it wouldn't 'rattle' against the frame or the panels?

A picture of location where you did it would be greatly appreciated, most of the Deutch connectors I've seen are pretty large (for understandable reasons).

Hi Trinten,
The connectors are not permanently mounted yet. I will either do something factory with the christmas tree style clip, or just tie wrap it.
I will do that next time I have the rear clip off (hopefully soon). I will get some pics this weekend.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 07-16-2021).]

Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2022 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Amazing work, keep it going!
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2022 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Skybax:

Amazing work, keep it going!

thanx

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2022 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gone fishing. Be back soon.

Bob
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2022 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great works here, Bob! Way to go
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2022 06:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow this is looking great. Good work.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2023 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Everybody,

Still working too much, but I have been tinkering. Driver door gap near perfect, as well as the hood/fender gap.

Also, I bought Rodney's 1" lowering ball joints for the front. I got one installed last night. Along with about 2/3 of a coil cut out, the fender/wheel gap looks much better. Still need to do passenger side.

That's it for now...

Bob
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2023 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bob, your posts have become as frequent as mine. I hope things are still progressing smoothly. Looking forward to some updates.

Neil
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2023 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Bob, your posts have become as frequent as mine. I hope things are still progressing smoothly. Looking forward to some updates.

Neil

Hi Neil,

I know... I wouldn't say smoothly as much as sporadically, but I'm really itching to get back at it (no pun intended). Garage is cleaned of the Halloween stuff. If weather cooperates, may actually do something.

All I've managed to do is prep the door/hood - fender gaps, smoothed out the body work on the driver's door, and a bit of work on the rear fascia.

Hope you're able to keep progress on yours. Looked great last I saw.

peace out...

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock