Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  RCR's body mods... (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
RCR's body mods... by RCR
Started on: 06-15-2009 07:28 PM
Replies: 657 (38267 views)
Last post by: RCR on 11-17-2023 07:56 AM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much... Weekends have been busy and it gets dark too early now. Doesn't lend much to motivation. But, I do have pics...

Different thoughts on lenses:
Full cover:

Partial cover:

Been working mainly on the passenger side, trying to get both pods to match.

Also been looking at a finishing touch using Jiff peanut butter tops...Hmm?? More on that later.

Bob
IP: Logged
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming neither cover affects light output/quality, I'd go for the partial covers. Much more unique, imo.
TEXASGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post11-08-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TEXASGTSend a Private Message to TEXASGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks like a skyline front end a little.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't see anywhere I posted in this thread yet so,

I love the snubby design. I've looked at the front like on PK86s car but it is just to long for my taste. I also think the partial headlight lense looks tons better then the full cover. But, that's based off of cardboard. The finished look with lights installed and paint through clear covers may be different.

+ to you for a very neat thread!

------------------

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 04-08-2015).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Bob, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you underestimate your skills! This is a fresh look at the Fiero nose and I think it ROCKS Are you going to make the lens covers clear or flip-up functional? If clear, I like the full cover, if flip up, I like the partial cover.

Just my $.02

Thank you thank you thank you...

They will eventually be molded clear lexan.

Bob
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2009 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's looking great Bob! You have to be done in time for the 30th anniversary show

Nolan
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2009 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sourmug:

It's looking great Bob! You have to be done in time for the 30th anniversary show

Nolan

Yeah, like I was for the 20th and 25th...
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2009 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will: sure need something

OK, a problem I was trying to overcome was the hood hitting the edge of the headlite pod as the hood is opened. The hood is not hinged right at the front lip (as everyone should know), which causes a small "overlap" that wouold rub on the pod. I though my only choice would be to make the pod edge very narrow, or leave a large gap. I was re-reading about Troyboy's car when I noticed Archie made a section that didn't move with the hood.

I immediately saw this as my solution.

And one from the other side:

I picked up some hood struts and hardware from the salvage yard yesterday. I may try to put that together today.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-28-2009).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Except for the some finish welding, I installed the front hood struts today. They are currently bolted to the chassis, I'll weld them later. The struts are from the hood of a 3'rd gen Camaro/Firebird. I used one on each side.

My first attempt mounted the strut about 5" from the pivot. What I found was that the strut was too strong and I couldn't properly close the hood (only one strut at the time). So I reduced the lever arm and placed it at about 3" from the pivot. This is right on top of the mounting bolt, so I made up a double treaded bolt.

Sorry, these pics are a bit blurry...

welded and mounted:

Here's the bottom bracket, made from some scrap angle iron.

And some finished pics

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-29-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. A much cleaner look without that factory prop.
Sofa King

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sofa KingSend a Private Message to Sofa KingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR,

Beautiful work. Keep going. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!
infinitewill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I missed it reading the thread ... what lights will you be using ?

------------------

Shaved Lambo Doors
http://www.blackwidowfiero.com

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There may be a problem with the way in which you mounted the strut for your hood.

Right now when your hood is closed it is going to be experiencing a bending load which could make it visibly deflect upwards in the middle. If you were to mount it more horizontally the load being applied to the hood will be less of a bending load and less likely to be visibly noticable deflection.

There was someone several years ago who designed some hood struts and started with the same configuration you have but changed the strut to be more horizontal after they noticed the hood deflection.
Amida

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmidaSend a Private Message to AmidaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No updates since November?
aeffertz

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updates?!
I miss seeing this thread.
Hockaday

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for covers i'd consider...-thinks-....lots of cars in the 80s had these...big metal plates on the rear window...anyway i'd use some metal like that

------------------
Cliff's 610th Positive Feedback Giver.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hockaday:

for covers i'd consider...-thinks-....lots of cars in the 80s had these...big metal plates on the rear window...anyway i'd use some metal like that

louvres for headlight covers? Hmm??

Bob
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
OK, weather is better and I had a couple days off. One of the issues I've been working around is how to shape the inside edges of the headlight pods. Too hard to get a tool in there and way too much sanding in a tight area, as seen here...

The only way to think of was to cut the backs out and work on the pod and back as seperate pieces. I'll glue it all back together before making the mold.

Here the back is cut and sitting back a couple inches for the pic.

Here's the other side with most of the filling/sanding complete.

I also fixed some winter/storeage damage. Now it'll be back to work on the main fascia. More later...

Bob
PFF
System Bot
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

louvres for headlight covers? Hmm??

Bob

http://upload.wikimedia.org...a_Romeo_Montreal.PNG
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2010 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another update...But, I got tired of shaping headlights and I got tired of looking at taped body lines so I did a little work on the hood.

I made a small guide to help shape the body line using cardboard and tape. I glued it to the hood to use as an edge for the filler. Here it is mudded flat.

Then a guide coat and some sanding.

Bob
Hockaday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HockadaySend a Private Message to HockadayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Das Bump
LitebulbwithaFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LitebulbwithaFieroSend a Private Message to LitebulbwithaFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am assuming because the way the hood opens you could not do this

JPH87

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2010 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JPH87Send a Private Message to JPH87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work glad to see your back at it. saved to favorites
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing exciting going on...Just filling and sanding.

Bob
aeffertz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's exciting because it lets us know that you're back at it again!
ghost187x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am really impressed! I like the direction you are going with your headlights. Are you trying to resemble a Koenig Ferrari 355 ??? Very Nice though!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not quit!
Rck152

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rck152Send a Private Message to Rck152Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back tracking. Just caught this thread. Help a dumb fella out? What kind of foam strips are you using?

------------------
Robb.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's A Pontiac thing What else Can I say??????
1985 Fiero GT
1998 Sunfire Turbocharged
1996 Grand Prix

Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like house insulation ( RIGID ) .

Looks awesome. You are an inspiration sir.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright...update. And I'm a little geeked about it. I finished the passenger side pod and created the mold (or at least the start of the mold).

Just before I started this project, I moved my battery under the headlight area. Well Murphy's Law kicked in just after I got the motor running and the battery died. So, it was either cut out all of the work or finish it with a mold. Sooo...

I purchased some polyester primer and shot several thick coats. I love this stuff. It should make this so much easier.

Then some spot cleanup. I used modeling clay to make the corners and fill some edges. I also waxed it and sprayed on several coats of PVA.

Then came the nervous part. I really thought I screwed it up when I layed the fiberglass, but I built it up anyway and popped it off this morning.

Not perfect, but much better than I thought it would be. I'll have to clean it up and build some flanges, but it's better than my first attempt.

Boy, that seems ages ago...

Bob
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm....I don't like most of the flush or swapped headlight setups, but I find I like your custom ones. Very nice! I looking forward to seeing the finished product!
aeffertz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aeffertzSend a Private Message to aeffertzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Horray! You're back at it!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2010 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart Mozart:

Dan: FWIW, I finally found those pesky mirrors...
BabyVet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BabyVetSend a Private Message to BabyVetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man keep up the good work love the look of it so far!!
Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This. Is. BRILLIANT !
My idea for flush-mount headlights have always been third and early fourth gen. Camaro-based. This mod doesn't carry the angles of that particular concept, but takes me right to it. When I'm confident enough to tackle my flush-mounts, I will surely refer to this for inspiration.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Dan: FWIW, I finally found those pesky mirrors...

LOL, I knew you'd find them eventually.
elitopr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for elitoprClick Here to visit elitopr's HomePageSend a Private Message to elitoprEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sweet!!!!!!!!!! nice job
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock