Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Norm's offical build thread here! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
Norm's offical build thread here! by rverhalen
Started on: 04-14-2005 02:57 PM
Replies: 340
Last post by: whereatt on 11-07-2007 05:40 PM
rverhalen

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Ok here is the deal, I will be taking the ole 88 formula nose off tomorrow the 15th of April, Norm will be arriving late Saturday night and we will be building the new nose on the car on Sunday the 17th of April, Lots of work will be done and then car will be ready for Paint on Tuesday of this coming week.

New items
Norm's new tilt front end
Ram scoops on the rear quarters
New black paint job
New silver racing stripes on the car
New silver "Formula" on the doors
New silver "Badges" on the fenders
New silver "2M6" on the back
New Sail Panels with the words "Formula" same format as the doors

After all of this she should be done. I will post pictures of the work in progress this weekend and Norm and I doing the work.
Now this front end will sport some new designs by Norm in the headlight area (mine is being used for the new molds) and some air duct work around the wheels. This should be an interesting thread for those who are interested in the modification that Norm creates.

Tune in for updates and comments on this project. Oh did I say Norm is a hell of a guy? (I think I just did)

Thanks for looking
Robert Ver Halen

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 04-15-2005).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I'm ready for the before pics!
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Whoohoo! It's almost begun!

Wish I could be there this weekend, but I just can't get away... too much to do, not enough days off my day job to do it all...

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
No problems, pictures will be flowing here soon, I will have before during and after pictures.
So much fun so little time. Thank God for vacations! Now this is what I call a working vacation
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
And to think we where actualy considering trading cars because we where board.

I told you you should just modify yours to keep your intrest up. Glad to see your diving back in!

Now, you know you are going to have to do something to make it as fast as it is going to look. Better start thinking!

Glad your happy Bob.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Black-Azz-GT:

And to think we were actually considering trading cars

Same here, I eagerly anticipate the new front end!! Good luck!

------------------
A coward dies a thousand deaths..................A soldier dies but once.

Red 86 SE
Yellow 87 GT
Gold 86 SE (wrecked)
Red 84 2.5 Coupe

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Being bored does a number on you! I still would have liked to have your car but you know everything happens for a reason. Taking it easy tonight and getting some rest then full bore tomorrow. First wash her then take some pictures then take off the front end and take some more pictures and rest then take some pictures, it should be fun.
About the engine, oh yea I have some ideas already in the works. Now to get that new baby on the engine stand and start that project after this one. What happens when I am done? Trading time again, maybe not.... it would have cost to much at that point.

anyway the clock is ticking and I have so little time now.

Updates coming soon

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 04-19-2005).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
This one just got added to my favorites! I will probably spend too much time here over the next few days, waiting for updates.
Sparkjl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2005 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SparkjlSend a Private Message to SparkjlDirect Link to This Post
Bummer just got the front end brakes, ball joints, Door Lock and Tires replaced....... Guess what else Radiator was fine the whole time.

I should have traded you sooner.

Have fun with the upgrade !

Joel

[This message has been edited by Sparkjl (edited 04-14-2005).]

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Well here are the first pictures of the new build for Norm's tilt front end as promised

Today I got the following off the car
Hood
Front nose
Lights off
Turn signals off
Front Amber turn signals off the fenders
Crash bumper off
Cleaned and washed the car
Brackets all off from all of the above parts

Trying to post pictures but the PIP keeps saying "Lost connection to Server"? I tried two computers so far.
As soon as I can post I will show you the pictures

Thanks for looking anyway

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Got PIP to work so here are the pictures

Before I did a thing

Nice side view of the car

So far this is all that PIP will let me do for now

PFF
System Bot
MDFierolvr

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MDFierolvrSend a Private Message to MDFierolvrDirect Link to This Post
very nice, your replacing the nose and everything... so what are you gonna do with the flushmounts that you have?
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
They are going back to Norm since we have done a different type of headlight in the new nose. They will be HID staggered.
And the new nose will sport air vents near the wheel for brake cooling also. Some little changes are being made
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
more

wow this one at a time is not easy with PIP

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
I have one at Norms place getting the same thing. It's been there for the last two weeks but I understand that the headlight mod was just finished this week. At least I think it's done, he didn't say it wasn't Tuesday when he was here.
Mine has damage to be repaired though (it found a tree @ 40mph straight up).
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
She cleans up purty good, Robert... I think you should keep her.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
the hood off

Some parts

Right front fender area

More coming!

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Those wheels look really nice on the formula. Good choice.
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Front view naked

Front striped down

No bumper!

More parts wanting a good home

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
The new quarter panels sanded and lots of work!

The new quarter panels are a work of art!

PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Now with everything out I can get some cleaning done before Norm gets here

Thank God I had quick disconnects on the lights, they just popped right out.
I will be selling the relays for the motors since I do not use them and I now can take them off.
In the AM I will be taking off the rear Wing, Mirrors, and anything else that I do not want to have painted.
Then on goes the quarter panels then I am done for the day. Norm will arrive late on Saturday night. We will hit it hard on Sunday morning and finishing up by Monday. Then off to the paint shop for a week.

Should be a fun time for both Norm and I during this process. We are putting Norm up at our home during this. Yes my wife will spoil him while he is here. She is like that! That is all for now, more to come in the AM.

Hope you like this thread so far. The best is yet to come!

Drive safely, they don't make our cars anymore.

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 04-15-2005).]

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Norm has my baby waiting for him back at his shop. Are you going with the new design for the round HID's too?

Greg

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Oh yea, I can not wait. I guess the three of us so far are having the new HID lights put in the front in a staggered format.
they will be round. I can not wait to see what they look like. I do not know if you have seen them yet? But you will here.

Let me know what you think when you see the post! Since I am going black on black the rings around the headlights will not show like eye liner! It should look pretty nice.

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Wow! You've been busy today!
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2005 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Not as busy as I will be on Sunday!

I think Norm will work me into the ground, LOL

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rverhalen:

Let me know what you think when you see the post! Since I am going black on black the rings around the headlights will not show like eye liner! It should look pretty nice.

I can't wait to see them for myself. He just said they would look near identical to the factory-five supercar, and I was sold.

He's also making molds of my interior while my car is there. Perhaps you'll have him back for an install later? Perfect sound stage if you're into sound quality.

::drum roll for the cool write-up w/ pics::

Greg

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rverhalen:

Now with everything out I can get some cleaning done before Norm gets here

It's almost a shame to cut on that car.
This is deserving

Earl-R

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
I love these build threads watching a car go through these transformations. I look at mine, even though its not finished, and I can't believe some of the things I've done over time.

When you bought your car did you think you would do as many mods on it as you have?

Looking good, keep up the great work.

------------------
87 Fiero GT
White / Blue Pearl
T-Top, 3400 Turbo, 11.25" brakes
Whaletail, Mecham Scoops, ZR1 Scoop
T/A Fender Vents, Much Much More

86 SE Red
86 SE Gold

My build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/036679.html

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
No I liked her the way she was, then little by little over time things start to change and the car is an extension of my personality! You see something you like and on it goes, you change things make improvements and come up with better ideas.
You see someone's car and then you are hooked. Each car on this forum is special in it's own way. I see many threads on who has the best Notchie and sometimes I wonder if we should just do something like, show me your cars!
It is hard to judge the love for your own against someone else's. Each car on this forum is built by someone who thinks that what they have done is the best, and you know it is. It is the owner that makes each car special. Sometimes we as a group do not like what someone has done from the color to the mods, but if you really look at it the car I mean that person put sweat and blood into that mod and loves what he did. They come here to show off their work and their baby.

Three things are against most guys who build cars, Time / Money / ability.

When I see someone's car I like what I see but maybe not on my car. Others I cannot wait to copy.

So each time when someone shows you their baby appreciate what it is they did and the time and money it took.

Norm is one of those guys, he builds to what our tastes are and makes a living at it too.
I have seen a lot of convertible cars on this forum that I would love to have but when I stop and think of my lifestyle it would not be feasible.

My hat is off to each and every one of you and your cars. Each is special and unique Keep up the great work and please share it here.

[This message has been edited by rverhalen (edited 04-16-2005).]

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indiana_resto_guy:
It's almost a shame to cut on that car.
This is deserving

I know what you're saying - heck, before I had mine convertiblized, people were saying that I shouldn't cut up the nice, trophy-winning stock Formula I've got - I should do the kit on something less 'pristine'.

Well, the thing is, if I convertiblized a junker, then I'd have a pristine Formula and a convertible junker. What'd be the point? I'd have to start from the ground up to make the junker a nice-enough car to drive just 'cuz I'd spent the money into making it a convertible. And I'd end up making it into a replica of my Formula anyway, 'cuz that's what I was aiming for.

It's one thing to take a risk on a great-condition car and do something that's never been done before, or is experimental/unproven - if it goes badly, you've ruined what was a great car and have nothing to show for it. But that's not the case with this car nor was it for mine.

My Automoda kit was a proven swap, just as Norm's front end is - and on top of that, with V8Archie doing my convertible kit and with Norm doing Robert's nose job, both are being done by people who, if difficulties arise along the way, will not quit the job until it's done right, even if they have to make changes along the way to get the conversions to work properly.

There's less than a handful of people in the Fiero world that I'd hand my car over to and trust that when I get my car back, it'd be done right - Archie is, first and foremost on my list, one of those people. And from what I've heard along the way, Norm sounds deserving of the same accolades regarding what he does.

Like I said, I know what you're saying - it's a shame to possibly mess up an awesome car. But when there's no chance of messing it up - when the mods are proven to work, or they will be when the job is done - then the 'awesome car' will be just that much better when the clearcoat's dry.

PFF
System Bot
rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
You know what I am saying then. Some people it goes right over their heads.
It is your car, make it the way you want it! Period. I agree with all that you have said Norm is great and so is Archie.
The two of them in my book are the best!

I know what I want and the amount of work to get there is no problem.

Good luck with your builds and post some pictures

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
OK folks here are the sneek photos directly from Norm just a few minutes ago! He is on his way here and shot these over to get me going! DAMN they look nice. Anyway folks like I stated before these are the new mods to the headlights.

Enjoy the pictures!

More to come in a minute, PIP is giving me fits again!

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
more to get you going

The last one for today

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Another well done improvement to an already wonderful product.

Norm and I will be getting in gear in the morning so wait until late Sunday night for more updates.

Thanks for looking everyone

Robert Ver Halen

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Rob, that front end looks great. I can hardly wait to see the build start. Remember, lots and lots of pics!

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
WOW!

I'll be completely honest - I've never been a fan of the HID headlight phase that automobile manufacturers have been in, but that looks awesome...

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, Thank you I think Norm did a Kick A@@ job on that one. I can not wait to get it on the car!
I got to chose my paint today, it is a dark dark black with a little silver mixed in. It almost sparkles at ya.
Should look really good. Everything gets painted.
I am taking off the rear wing, mirrors, all lights, moldings, anything that can come off it will and it will get painted by itself.
Then all put back on the car. Should be some work but what the hell you only get to live once!

rverhalen

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rverhalenSend a Private Message to rverhalenDirect Link to This Post

rverhalen

1289 posts
Member since Apr 2004
Ok Norm just sent me the new air vent that is now on the tilt nose also.
More for you to drool on!

Here it is!

So we have the new HID's and the side air vent!

Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2005 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Front end looks great, but that marker light in last picture looks way out of place with the other mods and no molding to blend it to the rest of the car. I looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock