Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Totally O/T
  Noah - The Movie starring Russell Crowe 2014 (Page 9)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Noah - The Movie starring Russell Crowe 2014 by Boostdreamer
Started on: 03-30-2014 03:19 PM
Replies: 349 (3302 views)
Last post by: yellowstone on 07-31-2014 07:18 AM
rinselberg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rinselbergClick Here to visit rinselberg's HomePageSend a Private Message to rinselbergEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:
My argument is that they DID SEE SOMETHING. I completely disagree that "gods" were created by sheer imagination in EVERY CULTURE IN HISTORY that I know of. Just not plausible they would all imagine the same thing out of NOTHING and without having prior knowledge of the concept of "gods". Believing that takes more faith than most can claim.

Here's a website that Boost' and others here may find worthwhile to explore:

http://www.jcf.org/new/index.php

For example, you could download AUDIO Lecture II.3.1 - Symbols of the Christian Faith at this browser URL:

http://www.jcf.org/new/cont...6_85&products_id=287

Why do we yearn? What is it we yearn for? It's for something that was never on land or sea. And this is a peculiar European romantic thing. And that is the fulfillment of this special intelligible potentiality which is our own being and character.
— Joseph Campbell

In this talk, Joseph Campbell looks at the mythic underpinnings of one of the world's great mythic traditions: Christianity. He explores the religion's historical and mythological roots, and discusses why it is that churches are struggling to keep their faith truly alive.

This lecture was recorded at Trinity Presbyterian Church in 1971.

Anyone could listen to a 5-minute excerpt from this lecture (at the second of the two links that I just posted): the complete download would set you back $5.99 USD. Just tap your hoard of those famous Mt. Gox bitcoins...
IP: Logged
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To the thread troll?

No, to the guy who voiced his opinion on the thread topic. If you remember, it is about the movie "Noah" and how it relates to the biblical story. What I wrote is my take on it.
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My argument is that they DID SEE SOMETHING. I completely disagree that "gods" were created by sheer imagination in EVERY CULTURE IN HISTORY that I know of. Just not plausible they would all imagine the same thing out of NOTHING and without having prior knowledge of the concept of "gods". Believing that takes more faith than most can claim.

it makes a lot of sense if you take off your blinders. Humans are pretty much all wired the same, like any other animal. When humans run across stuff they cant explain they try to explain it the best they can, often inventing things to do so.

Since for the most part the entire earth has advanced about the same rate ( knowledge and technology ) it makes sense for people to come up with the same sorts of solutions globally, for the same sorts of natural events that they could not properly explain at the time.

Plus you have a lot more interaction of ancient man than most people give them credit for, so you have cross-contamination of perception and explanations.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I couldn't help notice that you didn't answer the 4 questions.

What 4 questions, sorry haven't really been following this thread all that closely because it really isn't all that important to me, someone's opinion of a movie.

Steve
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea thats the movie...just couldnt remember who. Theyve been spending ages searching for the ark in the wrong place. It obviously ran aground near the Capitol Building...I saw it in the movie.
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

------------------
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view. What I live for

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
^^^
LOL.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by yellowstone:

It just sounded like you had a personal relationship with Satan. How else would you know?

A guy at the front of the church told me. He seemed to know what he was talking about.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While were discussing movies being authentic...I didnt have anything to do so I watched Fast & Furious 6.

1, I never seen a Superbird/Daytona with a center console automatic shifter and a clutch pedal. In fact, I think every one of them was an automatic from the factory. If they did, the 4 speed shifter on big body Mopars was too far forward to go into the center console if I remember right. Id have to see a picture to know absolutely for sure. The shift handle in the movie was an auto because I had the same one in my SuperBee.

2, The worst part was in the 15-20 minute fight in the cargo plane. Using a 737s speeds for an estimation, at around 140 knots VR take off/ approach averages, the runway they were on for the plane to pick them up was around 40 miles long. I dont know where an airport that big exists...not even Edwards AFB test facility is 1/3 of that. Certainly not in Spain.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A guy at the front of the church told me. He seemed to know what he was talking about.

lol, he didnt look like this did he?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-02-2014).]

theBDub

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theBDubSend a Private Message to theBDubEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

2, The worst part was in the 15-20 minute fight in the cargo plane. Using a 737s speeds for an estimation, at around 140 knots VR take off/ approach averages, the runway they were on for the plane to pick them up was around 40 miles long. I dont know where an airport that big exists...not even Edwards AFB test facility is 1/3 of that. Certainly not in Spain.

Haha, everyone noticed that as it was happening. You could hear murmurs and giggling when I was in the theater. That runway was ridiculous...
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And thats not to mention if any of them just ran their car into any of the landing gears or the bottom of the engines, the plane was done.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

lol, he didnt look like this did he?

No! That's the guy who was trying to sell me health care!

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, no!

I AM KIDDING, I AM KIDDING!!!
Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't be... Just as valid as anyone else outside a church, or in.

( and for those above this might surprise you but yes i was in a church once. They needed network help in their office, where they collect and reallocate the skim off the donation plate. gotta love old Novell networks back in the days of coax.. made lots of $ off bad connections.. The place burnt down the next weekend, coincidentally... )
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If ever there was a thread that deserved this song, it's this one. Gotta love Zappa, he didn't hold back.....and hey, it has Steve Vai.

I think this might be the best song about "traditional" religions ever written. (And I'm the president of the board of trustees of my church if that tells you anything about our philosophies....)
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, no!

I was laughing before I saw the "I am kidding!" LOL

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, it just opened in theatres two weeks ago.

I know --- figured it would be so bad it would already be out
kyunderdawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kyunderdawgSend a Private Message to kyunderdawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sheesh!!! Thanks a lot, Boost!!! I was SOOOOOO lookin' forward to seeing this movie. Thanks for ruining it for me.
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2014 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Omg, what a steaming pile that movie was.

I wish I read more if this thread before watching it(others were watching it, and I joined them)
I had heard about the "magic sleep incense" but didn't know the rest. Egads, that movie sucked for both believers and non-believers alike...
Gah!
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The question still remains, how many more threads need to be filled by the same people with the same blatant insensitivity and insults?

You have been here for 7 years, and apparently have not been paying attention.. Pretty much every post is this way. Why would you think yours would be any different? lol.

PFF
System Bot
Boondawg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoondawgSend a Private Message to BoondawgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After reading all this, I was forced to put it on my harddrive.
If it is so hated here, knowing me, i'll probably love it!

After all, I'm the guy that thinks Ishtar is a good movie!
TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may not be catholic anymore, but I enjoy the stories (and the musicals!) and perhaps equally as much, the satire (especially Monday Python's stuff)

But this thing was a turd. One of the few movies I actually regret watching. And I've seen some REAL stinkers...

[This message has been edited by TheDigitalAlchemist (edited 07-28-2014).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This movie was awful, I wonder if there is any legal action that could be taken against the responsible parties? Pre release it was said to stay true to the bible. The inaccuracies where not just fill in the blank fluff, they contradict the black and white words in the bible.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I'm late to this.. but...
Raised Catholic

I took this like much of Hollywood stuff. I just shut my mind off and immersed myself.

That being said if I were to critique the movie the odd King Stowaway was kind of a WTF.

Other than that I just let it roll, after years of Supernatural, reading various novels, attending a religious university..
Firmly willing to believe in a dude/dudette or two up there. Their interaction with us.. Only when they get bored.. We're like a newly seeded plant that needs to be carefully nutured.
We bloomed.. OK now on to Pantara! Lets make floating rocks and flying lizards!
NaNa, humanity.. they'll squabble.. we'll / I'll come back if stuff gets serious.
Uaana

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 03:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UaanaClick Here to visit Uaana's HomePageSend a Private Message to UaanaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Uaana

6570 posts
Member since Dec 1999
Hmm.. Maybe that's what the old gods did.. New kids with their One God thing showed up and they just took off for other planets?
A few are trying to hang on like Budda, but pretty sure Ra, Odin and the All Father have moved on to better hunting grounds.
Jonesy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jmbishop:

This movie was awful, I wonder if there is any legal action that could be taken against the responsible parties? Pre release it was said to stay true to the bible. The inaccuracies where not just fill in the blank fluff, they contradict the black and white words in the bible.

Just watched it and i thought it was really well done. Great story, good action and drama, i really enjoyed it. As for it being 100% true to the bible, could care less. It was a good movie based on a cool story..

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if you try to ignore the inaccuracy, it's a piece of hippie political junk with aweful cosume design.

As a christian it's a no brainer.
Deuteronomy 4:2King James Version (KJV)

2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.

I believe they have the freedom to make the movie and butcher it but honestly this movie sucked for more reasons than the biblical inaccuracy.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 07-30-2014).]

TheDigitalAlchemist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jonesy:

Just watched it and i thought it was really well done. Great story, good action and drama, i really enjoyed it. As for it being 100% true to the bible, could care less. It was a good movie based on a cool story..

I guess I would haver enjoyed it more if it was some guy other than Noah. The deviations from the canon ticked me off - like when they made Greedo shoot first...
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Saw it last night. Definitely not a good movie but then we recently saw "Pompeii" so I know it can easily get much worse. Russell Crowe was the only one who did something resembling acting.

In terms of the story itself - about as believable as the book.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 9 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock