Replies: 244 (309 views)
Last post by: andguent on 11-08-2002 04:06 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been coding my butt off today to implement some kind of rating system. As you can see in all the new threads I have succeeded in doing so (I hope).

The idea behind it is this: You rate a user either positive, negative or neutral. If people have rated a user mostly positive, you'll see a green bar; if they are mostly negative, you'll see a red bar. You can always change your rating at a later date. Simply rate the user again.

When your rating is mostly negative, you are obviously in the danger zone. When your rating drops below a certain point and a minimum amount of users have rated you, the system will automatically ban you.

Right now, the system is in test mode which means that you are not automatically banned if your rating drops. However, when I activate that part of the system, the ratings will not be reset. So you better start behaving!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now, this could be interesting

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT :)

Lady Pegasus

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lady PegasusSend a Private Message to Lady PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good idea Cliff....how many times can you rate yourself? Haha...kidding...really...no, seriously....crap.

------------------
JUST BRING IT!

KlingonFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KlingonFieroClick Here to visit KlingonFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to KlingonFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very Cool!
One question - I assume you have to be "logged-in" to rate someone? Can the same person rate someone else over and over again? thereby giving a false rating?
Sorry, I guess that was three questions

------------------
1984 SE - 30800 out of 136840. Being modified!

Dave Gunsul

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave GunsulSend a Private Message to Dave GunsulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know i'll probably get flamed for this but i think this is a very bad idea. People can change IP addys and get there friends to unjustly vote badly for you. Just my opinion but i wish you'd rethink this.

------------------
Dave Gunsul
Activities Director
Northern IL. Fiero Enthusiasts.
86 GT mod.
85 SE V6 daily driver

1FST2M6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1FST2M6Click Here to visit 1FST2M6's HomePageSend a Private Message to 1FST2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rod i'm sure will be the first one banned...

intreaging idea Cliff.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering, how many times are you allowed to vote on one person, will this have a cumulative effect? Will you be able to see a list of who is voting what on each person? Can you include a neutral vote count also? I think this system will put the fear of God into some people.
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I-N-T-E-R-E-S-T-I-N-G.... *raises an eyebrow*

------------------
-KC

1988 Formula, 3.4 modded 5spd, 75 NX (Nitrous)

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can rate as many times on someone as you like. However, they will all be counted as one rating. In other words, if you rate someone again, your old rating will be deleted and replaced with the new rating. So hey, if you feel the need to rate someone a thousand times, by all means do so. You are just wasting your own time because only your last rating counts.

Also, the rating is not connected to ip-address. So you can change your ip-address many time as you want - it won't make a difference.

On top of that, you need to be a registered member to rate someone else. So asking your friends to rate for you on this forum... well, that would work if you get your friends crazy enough to register here (and post a minimum number of messages and be a member for a minimum amount of time so you are actually eligible to vote).

Now honestly, I don't care if people think this is a bad idea. This way, the forum will clean itself up. If you've always been helpfull and never got in any flame wars, you have nothing to worry about. On the other hand, some others should start worrying and clean up their act (you know who you are).

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11608 posts
Member since Jan 99
Oops, forgot to answer a few things:

If you rate a member neutral, you are effectively removing your old rating.

And no, you can not see who rated you but I can. So if you suspect there is something fishy with your rating, I can see exactly if there is or not.

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool idea. We'll see how it works.
Is there a way you can see how many good/bad you have yourself?

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

PFF
System Bot
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting Cliff. I sure hope this makes your job around here a little easier!

------------------

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Intriguing concept Cliff. Any hints as to the amount of time/number of posts needed to be part of the rating system? I understand if you do not want to let that info loose. Just curious on how far beyond a newbie a member has to be to get the privledge.
Denny

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting idea . . .
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Posting to see if I'm in trouble already...

*whew* so far, so good!

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 09-13-2002).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:
Is there a way you can see how many good/bad you have yourself?

You mean who you rated or who has rated you?

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally think it's a cool system... hopefully it'll keep us patrolling ourselves (and maybe help remove certain trolls a bit more quickly )

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work!

Cory

[This message has been edited by CoryFiero (edited 09-13-2002).]

gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very good idea!!

------------------

BOILERMAKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BOILERMAKERSend a Private Message to BOILERMAKEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very good idea. I love it!
frontal lobe

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 166
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for frontal lobeSend a Private Message to frontal lobeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would just like to take this opportunity to tell all of you how very much I love you. Come here so I can give you a big hug!

Hey, where are you running off to??

PFF
System Bot
Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff has done a lot for this forum, he deserves a lot of support, unfortunately a lot of criticizing towards him as well. This is absolutely a great idea to help reduce burden on Cliff's shoulder when people come all over Cliff saying "this user is an ******* " and accusing each other.

Lets hope it is a positive enhancement for the forum.

------------------
AIM: CanadianFiero
Project conversion to an aero V6. (85 GT)

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great idea,

But the pressure is on to get positive ratings...could this create a stigma for those with low positives and turn into a popularity contest?

Please vote me positive!!!

------------------

1988 Fiero - It's like an Actual Miniature Car

2xsess

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2xsessSend a Private Message to 2xsessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's cool. I've been buzzing around voting for people for a few minutes.
Good idea Cliff, just curious, once you implement the automatic banning thing how many negative votes does it take to get ousted? Not that I'm planning on making any enemies or anything.

NEPA-Bob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NEPA-BobSend a Private Message to NEPA-BobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great idea... The inmates are in charge of their own destiny !
bHooper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice idea! can you rate yourself?... let's see.

------------------
hoop
Red
'86 GT
5 speed
Borla Exhaust
Eibach's/Poly/Kyb's

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NEPA-Bob:
Great idea... The inmates are in charge of their own destiny !

That's what I keep telling them at work.

Grand idea, Cliff! You get my vote for President.

Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Uh, C.P., none of my votes have taken effect! I made some ratings on people this afternoon, and now I'm at work looking at how they're doing and some of them have the same rating (or no rating) as they had earlier. So I made some more votes, closed my browser, re-opened it and immediately logged in and looked up the same people... they all still had the same rating numbers!

Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff,
When I went to rate someone it gave me this message.

But I just noticed that you changed the system to only show total votes so that was probably it.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:
When I went to rate someone it gave me this message.

If it happens again, just PM me with the username you were trying to rate. It might be the system has some difficulties with certain characters in someone's username.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bHooper:
nice idea! can you rate yourself?... let's see.

Guess so.

PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, it's hard to respond in all the different threads about this, so I'll just keep it to this thread.

Let me explain once more exactly how the rating system works, with all the new additions and changes from the last few hours.

• You can rate a member as many times as you want, but only your last rating will be stored. So in effect, if you have previously rated someone and want to change your rating (or if you aren't sure if you rated a person before), simply rate him again.
  • This also means that you can't singlehandedly influence a member's rating by rating him multiple times. Changing your ip-address, or relogging into the forum will have no effect.
  • Rating a person Neutral will in fact remove your rating for that person. So if you rated someone in error (or if you simply want to change your rating to Neutral), just rate him/her again and choose Neutral.
  • Only members that have been a member for at least 30 days, and have at least 30 posts can rate another member.
  • The jury is still out on wether to display the total number of ratings, or broken down by negatives/positives.
  • The "saturation" of your rating changes according to its importance. If not many people have rated you, the bar will be hardly visible. The more people rate you, the more visible the bar becomes.
  • No, I will not tell you who rated you negatively or positively. Even though I am able to see that, I will not give out that information. If you suspect something fishy, just email or PM me - I will check the ratings.
  • Yes, you can rate me negatively. And no, that will not have any effect on your chances of being banned.
  • Yes, you can rate yourself. This is intentional and part of any democratic process.
  • Ratings in threads reflect the rating at the time of the last post in that thread. Similar to your number of posts. So one thread may show 10 people have rated you, while another shows 20.
  • No, I will not manually override the automatic banning. Sending me a PM or email with "I'm sorry Cliff, I will behave from now on" will not work. You should have behaved from the start.
  • The only time I will override an automatic ban, is when your rating has obviously been tampered with.
  • The system will warn you when you are nearing the critical point for automatic banning. The red bar will start to flash. If you see that happening in your rating, it's time to clean up your act.

The reason I've implemented this? Izza simple! I get a lot of emails from people that ask me to ban others, but I will not ban people because only 2 or 3 people want me to do so. This way, people have an anonymous way (to others then, not to me) of voting someone "off the island". Also, this will work much faster. A troll arrives? He can be banned within hours. Even in those rare occasions I'm asleep. And since he (or his troll friends) as a new member isn't allowed to rate, there's nothing he can do about it.

And like I said, I want this forum to be as much self moderating as possible...

Edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by Cliff Pennock (edited 09-13-2002).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting concept.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
  • Ratings in threads reflect the rating at the time of the last post in that thread.
  • I think there will start to be a lot more bumping of topics, in order to see the effect of our ratings.

[This message has been edited by Cheever3000 (edited 09-13-2002).]

Cliff Pennock
    Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cheever3000:
    I think there will start to be a lot more bumping of topics, in order to see the effect of our ratings.

Which undoubtedly harvests a few more negative ratings.

Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
    [B]Ratings in threads reflect the rating at the time of the last post in that thread. [B]

You might want to state this in the box that pops up after you rate someone. I can see people thinking that their vote didn't take and reloading the page over and over again.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I'd be curious to know what I've done to get a negative rating already. I don't know who I've offended, but it leaves me with a bad feeling about this rating system right out of the gate. To put things in perspective, I've been selling on eBay for nearly two years now. I've bought and sold approximately 300 items and I have a total of ONE negative feedback. That was because I jumped the gun and prematurely left negative feedback for what I thought was a deadbeat bidder, who, in turn, left me the ONE negative. (I learned my lesson on that one.)

I kind of agree with Dave. I don't think the current version of this system is a good idea. (Although I agree with the theory of a rating system.) If we could see who has rated us, it would be a little better. Then at least we would have a chance to point out possible shenanigans to you, Cliff. As a programmer, I can appreciate the work you have put in on this, but, as it is now, this system is just begging to be abused.

Let's face it. We're all grown-ups here. If we feel someone truly deserves a negative, we shouldn't have a problem putting our name with the rating. It would also give us a chance to factor in the rater's rating. I'll use eBay as an example again. On their site you can see the feedback rating for someone who has rated a Seller, for instance, as negative. If you see that the rater (Buyer) has a very poor rating and the seller has an otherwise good rating, you can probably justify factoring out that Buyer's feedback. (Especially after you read some of the comments that they also allow you to leave...) Some people are just out to mess with others. At least on eBay, you have a chance to see that for what it is. You can get more info on the rating and take it with a grain of salt if you'd like.

Finally...think about what deserves a negative rating. If someone is a smart-ass in one of your posts, you might give him/her a negative rating. Another member, however, might not take it personally and might give it right back, while getting some enjoyment out of it. He/she might reserve negative ratings for a deal that 'went bad' because they didn't feel they got what they paid for. Others might leave negative feedback if a new user keeps asking questions about topics that seemingly have been covered repeatedly or are off-topic, while others might realize the person is a newbie and might politely point out that there is a Search feature and an Off-Topic Forum. Now we all know that there are definitely a few people who deserve to be booted off here, regardless of the criteria. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a way to accomplish that. My point is, without the supporting detail behind a rating, what good is a rating system

Sorry this was so long. Once I get started, I can't shut up.

[This message has been edited by kru (edited 09-13-2002).]

Cliff Pennock
    Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    All that because you got one negative rating?

Seriously, the system will stay as it is. Yes, you got one negative rating. There are almost 6000 members here. If you are worrying about people thinking negatively about you because you got one negative rating then, well, you catch my drift.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    I value people's opinions. It comes from running a business. I'm sure you know all about that. If I've done something to offend one person, I want to know who it is and what I've done, so I can fix it, if necessary.

I've been accused of being 'wordy' before. Maybe that's grounds for negative feedback in some people's minds...

Loki

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
    Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2002 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LokiSend a Private Message to LokiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
    As I said earlier... Cool idea Cliff .....

------------------

WWW.FIEROLOKI.COM
    ICQ# 140841625

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
    next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
    PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave