Started on: 09-13-2002 01:19 PM
Replies: 244 (309 views)
Last post by: andguent on 11-08-2002 04:06 PM
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the clarification on how the rating system is working Cliff!

If someone has even a fair number of ratings, they would really have to cause problems on the forums to get their negatives up to a 90% level.

One more question (sorry I have to!) Once the system is fully set up, will a member be able to review who they voted for, and what the vote was? Or is it just up to people to rate someone again to be sure they have rated them how they want.

Thanks Cliff, and I'll shut up now!

IP: Logged
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Fformula88

7891 posts
Member since Mar 2000

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
It isn't the number of negatives that will get someone banned. It is the ratio of negatives vs positives. Suppose you've been a member on the forum for quite some time, and so far you've been pretty helpful and you've been raking 50 positives. Then you get in a flamewar and people start giving you negatives. This means that you'll need at least 50 negatives extra or 25 of those positives changed to negatives to make your overall rating neutral.

Right now, the system warns you when more than 80% of the ratings you have received are negatives (the red bar starts flashing). Time to clean up your act then. When more than 90% of your ratings are negatives, the system bans you. Remember that anybody can change their rating for you. So if they have previously rated you negative, cleaning up your act might persuade them to change their rating to positive.

So in short, you have complete control over your own rating. If 90% rather see you go - even if you have made a positive contribution to the forum previously - then it's bye-bye for you.[/B]

Just my luck I get the thread to page six right after this post by Cliff, so I thought I'd do a quote post to bring it over to pg 6 too.

[This message has been edited by Fformula88 (edited 09-18-2002).]

tgowens

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is beginning to look like the thread to rate everyone - sooner or later we all will be in this post (and who says no one ever looks at the announcements?).

Personally, I think this is a great idea! - ok, cliff, now what are you going to do for an encore???

CoryFiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CLiff, not to get you mad that I keep asking this question but.. Lets say "friresds" gives me a negative because hes a troll and hes mad at everyone on the forum so he gives everyone a negative, then he is banned, will that negative dissapear off of our ratings?

Cory

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoryFiero:
CLiff, not to get you mad that I keep asking this question but.. Lets say "friresds" gives me a negative because hes a troll and hes mad at everyone on the forum so he gives everyone a negative, then he is banned, will that negative dissapear off of our ratings?

Oops, sorry, meant to answer that a few times already. Yes, when somebody is banned, all rating he has done will be removed.

Originally posted by Fformula88:
Once the system is fully set up, will a member be able to review who they voted for, and what the vote was?

Yep.

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like IT!! Keep up the good work Cliff. Sorry I didn't look here before my post in OT.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say so far so good, my only suggestion would be to reduce the minimum number of posts displayed to more like 25 (as opposed to 50). That way newer members and those that may not post as frequently show up sooner.

Cliff- you just keep "remodeling" this place making it better all the time. Thanks for your hard work and effort!

Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2002 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cliff,
Is the rating thing up and fully functional? I tried to give Kempo a negative rating j/k and it says error opening file.

I guess nobody has rated him yet and the rate file isn't there.

Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2002 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with most of the people here, 25 votes might be enough. 50 is a bit high. The system has been in for quite a few days and only 3 members so far now has rating shown. Just my 2 cents.
Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2002 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ferrari_cdn

891 posts
Member since Jul 2001
I don't know if this is possible, but do you think it might be a good idea to be able to put an indicator under a member's bar or name indicating you have or haven't voted? I have a terrible memory, and I sometimes forget I already voted for some members.
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RATE ME.. RATE ME.. lol

------------------

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com www.CFOG-International.org
RATE ME, RATE ME...LMAO

PFF
System Bot
Lady Pegasus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lady PegasusSend a Private Message to Lady PegasusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with the 25 thing. I don't think I personally will get 50 votes....I really only stay in one section, and I don't post AS MUCH as others. But YOU DA MAN!! It's up to you. Thanks.

Paula

------------------
Friends don't let friends drive drunk.

In Memory of:
Ryan Norton 1981-2002
Christine Lamprecht 1980-2002

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2002 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:
[b]RATE ME.. RATE ME.. lol

[/B]

Yeah, what he said - RATE ME.. RATE ME..

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2002 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great idea, Cliff........things seem to be getting better and better! I think I might have to stay......LOL.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there any way yet to check and see your own ratings, (numbers, not names) beyond the bar that appears after 50?
ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this has been covered. I have only been reading what Cliff says since he sums it up pretty good.
1st If you get banned can you be reinstated if members change their rating of you.
2nd Lets say I have used the forum for 2 years and have 500 positve remarks. In this time some of the people who have rated me have left the forum. That would mean that I would have to get all that I have to get 750 negatives to be banned right. I gues what I am saying is if the member is not active for a year shouldn't thier feedback be cancelled.
3rd Will it be available to see your own if you are under 50.
4th Will you be able to see who you voted for and/or who voted for you and what was voted.
Sorry for the lengthy reply.
CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While this thread is bumped, I would like to ask a few questions.

1: Will you ever reinstate the -/+ breakdown?
2: When will it be out of the test mode? (were you can actually be banned)
3: Are you going to tell us how many negatives we need to be banned, and the length of time they need to be that number.
4: Would you consider making a page with members in order from highest rating to lowest, once they get above 50, I mean like a list. Obviouslt, you would be first, and then have 2nd 3rd ect. ect.
5: Are you planning on keeping the number at 50, for everyone to see there rating?

Sorry for all the questions, you don't have to answer them all if you don't want to, I guess I'm a little nosey

Cory

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get banned can you be reinstated if members change their rating of you

Nope. That would be too little too late. People will get ample warning when they are in the danger zone.

Lets say I have used the forum for 2 years and have 500 positve remarks. In this time some of the people who have rated me have left the forum. That would mean that I would have to get all that I have to get 750 negatives to be banned right. I gues what I am saying is if the member is not active for a year shouldn't thier feedback be cancelled.

I'm still thinking bout a "lifespan" for a rating. Haven't figured it out yet.

3rd Will it be available to see your own if you are under 50.

Yes, you will be able to see your own rating at any time.

4th Will you be able to see who you voted for and/or who voted for you and what was voted.

You will see what your rating for a specific person is. You will not be able to see who rated you (and thus also not how he rated you).

Will you ever reinstate the -/+ breakdown?

Don't know yet.

When will it be out of the test mode? (were you can actually be banned)

As soon as I got all things implemented.

Are you going to tell us how many negatives we need to be banned, and the length of time they need to be that number.

Yes.

Would you consider making a page with members in order from highest rating to lowest, once they get above 50, I mean like a list.

No, this is not a contest.

Are you planning on keeping the number at 50, for everyone to see there rating?

Probably, since if you get less than 50 ratings, I don't think the rating means anything.

CoryFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoryFieroSend a Private Message to CoryFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey thanks for the quick reply

Cory

Mach10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hehehe... Well, as there is no system in place, YET, and I want to see my rating...

RATE ME!

lol

quantum1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for quantum1Send a Private Message to quantum1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You rule Cliff. I wish I could program like that.

Ryan

PFF
System Bot
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Cliff just was wondering when you expected the rating system to be out of testing mode and we can view our ratings in our profile. Thanks.

------------------

1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
(15.57 @ 87mph)
1988 Formula 5 spd: 3.4
(15.56 @ 84mph)

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump...
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm finishing a few small things first.

I was wondering what people would think if a rating expired after a certain amount of time. So if you rated someone "negative", this would automatically change to "neutral" after, say, 60 days. That way, people with negative ratings would have a fair chance to get it back in the positives again. The drawback is that "positive" ratings would become "neutral" after a while as well.

Of course, I could also leave it as it is now.

[This message has been edited by Cliff Pennock (edited 10-02-2002).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I definitely wouldn't want ratings I've given out to revert back to Neutral... if I rate someone, I'd like it to stay that way until I they give me reason to change it myself (which I would do if they did something to change my mind).

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula
- 1st Place - Stock Coupe - FOCOSEVA 2000
- 3rd Place - Stock Formula - FOCOA Nat'l 2001
- Class Winner - 1982 to Present - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2001
- Class Winner - Fiero: All Years - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2002

ls3mach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 226
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ls3machSend a Private Message to ls3machEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think 60 days is long enough. It should be like 3 or 6 or 12 months that way everyone might be seen eventually.
JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of the rating having a lifespan, but I think it needs to be talked about in terms of months, not days. Perhaps 6 months?
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may have missed something, but why can we see some people's ratings and not others? For instance......I can't see mine.

Phil

avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I understand, GTdude, you don't have enough people rating you yet to see the bar. I already rated you, so rate me, Im still waiting to see my bar.
Cheever3000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:
I definitely wouldn't want ratings I've given out to revert back to Neutral... if I rate someone, I'd like it to stay that way until I they give me reason to change it myself (which I would do if they did something to change my mind).
My thoughts exactly.

hugh

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hughSend a Private Message to hughEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree,but I also think that if someone is banned,after a period of time they could be allowed to be reinstated with a probation period.If they were banned again it would be permanent.

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

To add to what I already said,during the probation period the conditions for banning would be more agressive(something less than 90%)

[This message has been edited by hugh (edited 10-03-2002).]

PFF
System Bot
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
possibly, (just a random thaught) instead of a lifespan, make it so only the last 50 or so actually count toward how far in the red or green you are, but have the actual rating #'s shown,
The problem with having a lifespan is, you have a positivly contributing "forum lurker" member, They may be a good member, but there rating continually dies off to a "not yet rated" because of rating life spans.
But I would still like to see how many ratings both negative and positive I have, It seems other people want to see that too. It's just a thaught.
Mach10

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2002 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not have an "effective" lifespan?

You will ALWAYS keep a tally of your good points and bad-points. But after what, 60 days, they no-longer count towards the banning tally. IF you have almost nothing but positives anyway, but get up a few people's noses, their negative votes lose their "potency" after 60 days.

Could even have it on a sliding scale. Why not instead of a life-span, assign negative votes a DECAY rate...

tally = bad.value + good.value

if tally >= 50 then
If bad.value >= (tally/2) then
ban = true
endif
endif

while bad.value >= 0
if bad.timestamp <=60
then bad.value = 1/(bad.timestamp/15)
Else bad.value = 0.0125

Forgive my probably many mistakes... Call it psuedo-code

(btw, RATE ME! )

[This message has been edited by Mach10 (edited 10-05-2002).]

Little Duce Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2002 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Little Duce CoupeSend a Private Message to Little Duce CoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Considering my sometimes Dr. Laura attitude.....I still want to live dangerous and politely ask....

RATE ME Please!!

Ohhh...boy

------------------
Little Duce Coupe
"You Don't Know What She Costs"

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2002 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wondering why some rating bars show a total number of votes underneath, and some just show the bar without the total... wasn't sure if that was an option that was being considered, or a glitch for a few members.
gt boy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt boySend a Private Message to gt boyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey cliff...some people have said that they have rated me...but i do not see the bar chart under my user name. whats up with that?
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2002 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gt boy:
hey cliff...some people have said that they have rated me...but i do not see the bar chart under my user name. whats up with that?

You need to be rated at least 50 times for the bar to show up. Here is some help!

[This message has been edited by Fformula88 (edited 10-28-2002).]

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2002 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Suggestion for the lifespan idea. How about if only the negatives have a lifespand of like 90 days. Let everyone keep the positive or neutral posts unless the person that made a positive post changes it to negative.

This would let people keep the good ratings and give the people with bad ratings a second chance. Also, if negatives stick around for 90 days it will give forum members a chance to "vote them off the island".

Just a suggestion.

I'm Back

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2002 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for I'm BackSend a Private Message to I'm BackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:
I'm finishing a few small things first.

I was wondering what people would think if a rating expired after a certain amount of time. So if you rated someone "negative", this would automatically change to "neutral" after, say, 60 days. That way, people with negative ratings would have a fair chance to get it back in the positives again. The drawback is that "positive" ratings would become "neutral" after a while as well.

Of course, I could also leave it as it is now.

[This message has been edited by Cliff Pennock (edited 10-02-2002).]

No, I don't like the 60 day expiration rule.....maybe 2 months would be better

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2002 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by I'm Back:

No, I don't like the 60 day expiration rule.....maybe 2 months would be better

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay