Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Haus of Guru: Brake upgrade kit for 84-87 Fieros (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: Brake upgrade kit for 84-87 Fieros by bmwguru
Started on: 11-10-2011 11:45 AM
Replies: 292 (15090 views)
Last post by: IXSLR8 on 11-26-2017 12:29 PM
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

I am in the process of manufacturing a kit for the pre-88 Fieros. This kit is very similiar to Fiero Addiction's 12" kit. I have no intention of taking away business from other Fiero vendors and I wanted this kit for my Fiero. I asked WCF if they would concider making this kit and I tried to get my hands on the Fiero Addiction kit, both with no luck.

So, I made up 10 kits and I am in the process of testing them out right now. The fronts are 100% complete and the rears are shortly behind.

I chose using the 1988 Fiero caliper for a few reasons. First, it is easily purchased at Rockauto. Second, the outer brackets unbolt for easy powdercoating without disturbing the rubber seals. Third, it fits well.

The kit

A before pic:

hubs machined locally from the stock Fiero brake disc.

powdercoated caliper brackets (I can powercoat the brackets if anyone needs them done)

a full before pic behind a 18" rim:

a full after pic behind a 18" rim

I am still estimating pricing and I can sell just the front kits or both the front and rear. I should have that all together within a day or so.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GADJet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GADJetSend a Private Message to GADJetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interested in seeing a price. You know Christmas is right around the corner. I dont know that this would fit into my Christmas budget but it sure looks interesting.
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dammit, more ways for me to spend money on my fiero that I don't have. I would only want the front kit, but what is the smallest rim size that can be used? Are those 12" corvette rotors?

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 11-10-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm estimating $150-$160 per axle set. That includes two brackets, hardware, concentric rings and shipping.

They fit the 1988 12" Corvette rotors...it uses the front and the rear Corvette rotors.

Dave

ps: I priced out WCF's 88 adapters at $385 plus shipping.
Rallaster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RallasterSend a Private Message to RallasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you're using '88 calipers the rotors are vented as well as slotted and drilled? Will the kit be shipped with the already machined hubs or will we have to supply our own?
Boogaloo

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoogalooSend a Private Message to BoogalooEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question: what about the lower control arm rubbing on the rotor ,has this issue been addresed?.
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rallaster:

Since you're using '88 calipers the rotors are vented as well as slotted and drilled? Will the kit be shipped with the already machined hubs or will we have to supply our own?

Doesn't include rotors or the hubs.

It's just what's in this picture (unless read the post wrong but I don't think so):

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just selling the adapters, hardware and concentric rings. There is no clearance issues with the lower control arms...that is a 1988 issue only. As for the hubs, you can have your local machine shop make them with your stock Fiero rotors....it wasn't much money and it would be cheaper for you to have them done locally than pay shipping on a set.
Dave
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

So, I made up 10 kits and I am in the process of testing them out right now. The fronts are 100% complete and the rears are shortly behind.

I chose using the 1988 Fiero caliper for a few reasons. First, it is easily purchased at Rockauto. Second, the outer brackets unbolt for easy powdercoating without disturbing the rubber seals. Third, it fits well.

The kit

powdercoated caliper brackets (I can powercoat the brackets if anyone needs them done)

I think you are doing what I wondered about while I was starting to reasearch brake conversions... why don't we (84-87 folks) use 88 calipers?
I noticed the 88 fiero brake conversions are so much cheaper then the 84-87 ones on WCF.

I'm interested in this kit if I can get the spouse to let me do it.... (xmas gift... hint hint...)

So to be sure I understand what i'm getting myself into...

I'm estimating $150-$160 per axle set. That includes two brackets, hardware, concentric rings and shipping.

They fit the 1988 12" Corvette rotors...it uses the front and the rear Corvette rotors.

So front $150-$160 for the pair and rear $150-$160 for the pair... so $300-320ish for the whole car... for this $ we only get the adaption stuff in the first pic...

Then separately I buy:
88 FIERO front calipers for the front
88 12" CORVETTE frt rotors (have machine shop drill the 5x100 pattern)
88 FIERO rear calipers for the rear
88 12" CORVETTE rear rotors (have machine shop drill the 5x100 pattern)

Then I need to have MY STOCK front rotors machined into hubs, or buy the WCF versions

I have stainless brake lines, so I assume they will fit the new calipers? so no cost there for me...

What about the parking brake in the rear... do the rear 88 FIERO calipers have the same set up as my 84 rears, or will there be further adapation needed?

Also the master cylinder, booster, and prop valve... do they need upgrading & to what?

Ok now this pic...

You mention caliper brackets here that you can powdercoat... so does that mean you provide these with the kit? or do we buy them when we buy the calipers (or do they come with the calipers) and then send to you to powder coat? Sorry for the dumb question... I know nothing about the 88 brakes on the Fiero... only my 84. Are they like the new styles on the 2003 mustang, civics, and stratus? They have a bracket that mounts to the spindle and stays always... you just remove the caliper part that bolts to the bracket that holds the pads to replace them?

------------------
Rescued & resuscitated 1984 Indy Fiero Pace Car #770 presently reversibly modified...LOL!

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 11-10-2011).]

redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

redraif

1460 posts
Member since May 2005

Originally posted by Steel:

Doesn't include rotors or the hubs.

It's just what's in this picture (unless read the post wrong but I don't think so):

no calipers either...
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,
those look great, fiero addiction rear brackets were two pice units. i like the milled one piece rears plus the 88 caliper setup means no changing the master cylinder and or booster (unless you want to). here is a pic of their parts from the old fiero addiction website of course the only thing they included was the brackets and maybe bolts, everything else was extra.

i also found the link to the installation instructions.
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/8712_r3.html
i am interested in a full set, check your pm.
al

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 11-10-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I priced out the kit as an axle set because some have asked (including myself) for just a front kit. The VR6 Fiero will only be getting a front kit with the calipers powdercoated in a translucent blue with chrome base (to match the blue fire).

The parking brake functions the same. I flip the lever and it works fine...I'll do a writeup on it after I finish up the rear brackets 100%. The fronts are currently the only ones I have 100% done (10 sets)

The Corvette rotors I purchased from Summit Racing cost me $36.50 and $39.50 for the cross drilled/slotted rotors each.

The hubs cost me $50 from the local machinist for the pair.

The calipers cost me $50 for the front and $95 for the rear.....or less than $20 for the rebuild kit and pick up a few used calipers.

I would recommend upgrading to the Fiero Store stainless braided brake hoses as well.

After the test drive with the fronts only done, I noticed a firmer pedal and better braking distance. I built this for the look. I don't really need big brakes, but with the 18" rims, everyone was saying my brakes looked too small.

As for the powdercoating. You can send me your caliper bracket (it is the face of the caliper with no hydraulics). I can powdercoat all four for $100 (depending on color choices...ie needing more than 2 coats).....or you can paint them with caliper paint.

Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by ace5514:

Dave,
those look great, fiero addiction rear brackets were two pice units. i like the milled one piece rears plus the 88 caliper setup means no changing the master cylinder and or booster (unless you want to). here is a pic of their parts from the old fiero addiction website of course the only thing they included was the brackets and maybe bolts, everything else was extra.
i also found the link to the installation instructions.
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/8712_r3.html
i am interested in a full set, check your pm.
al

Yes, I based it off of Fiero Addiction's kit. I couldn't buy it anymore, so I made it and a few extras as well. I think I will only be running off 10-20 sets. Fiero Addiction doesn't sell it anymore and I wanted that setup for my car. I figured out the measurements and went from there. It isn't rocket science....lol.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 11-10-2011).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Extremely interested! As soon as you price out the kit,place me first in line!

InTheLead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great I'm in for a set.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, I based it off of Fiero Addiction's kit. I couldn't buy it anymore, so I made it and a few extras as well. I think I will only be running off 10-20 sets. Fiero Addiction doesn't sell it anymore and I wanted that setup for my car. I figured out the measurements and went from there. It isn't rocket science....lol.

Dave

So you plan to only make 10-20 sets in total? That's disappointing because I am very interested, but I'm definitely not in the market at this time. Very cool though. I hate how tiny my brakes look with the staggeted 17 and 18 inch setup I'm running. I hope you will continue selling them when I have the $$.

fierofury

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2011 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofurySend a Private Message to fierofuryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put me in line as well for a set.
redraif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dave

Ok I read the Fiero Addictions install guide that was posted above... I assume yours will also require the grinding on the stock spindle that was mentioned in their write up? And I see they said the ebrake cable will not fit without longer ones?

Also I was pondering my rotor options... the 12 inch rotors... must they be corvertte to work? another thread was tossing about WRX rotors... who also has a 12 inch version... no hub spacer would be needed, just increasing the centerbore on the wrx rotors, but the lug pattern would already be correct. Just thinking out loud... any thoughts?

thank you! I think I have the spouse almost on board with buying your bracket set
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm finishing up the rear kit now....I should have them 100% next week. The front kit is done and fully tested. I may make more kits if people want them. I don't want to interfere with any other vendors.

Dave
topcat

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you sell a front kit before you finish up the rears?
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,
don't worry about other venders! unless you bought and copied someone elses kit and then tried to under sell them..you are providing a valuable service! fiero addiction no longer sells those and i am sure there are several people here that will buy them.
from what i have read about the F.A. kit it is one of the easiest kits to install.
as for needing longer cables for the parking brake...i believe i read that 88 left and right cables will do the trick as they are longer. i was also toying with the idea of simply adding either an parking brake connector or another adjuster...the front cable does not need to be changed. they might not even need to be changed it depends...either way the solution is neither major nor expensive.
keep us posted.
al

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 11-11-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely. I already have one installed and one scheduled for install on Tuesday.

Ill pm you in a little bit with payment details

Dave
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How would you compare the stopping power to the lebaron brake swap? I know these are slightly larger in diameter, but the caliper's clamping power also comes into effect. Just wondering because I currently have the lebaron set up, but might want to fill in my wheels ever so slightly more. Plus lose the heavier calipers for better unsprung weight.
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm just selling the adapters, hardware and concentric rings. There is no clearance issues with the lower control arms...that is a 1988 issue only. As for the hubs, you can have your local machine shop make them with your stock Fiero rotors....it wasn't much money and it would be cheaper for you to have them done locally than pay shipping on a set.
Dave

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat? Really now I wish I would've known.

Originally posted by doublec4:

How would you compare the stopping power to the lebaron brake swap? I know these are slightly larger in diameter, but the caliper's clamping power also comes into effect. Just wondering because I currently have the lebaron set up, but might want to fill in my wheels ever so slightly more. Plus lose the heavier calipers for better unsprung weight.

Is there really such a large difference in caliper weight? Also gotta consider the extra 3/4" of rotor on all 4 corners which adds a bit.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nitroheadz28:

Is there really such a large difference in caliper weight? Also gotta consider the extra 3/4" of rotor on all 4 corners which adds a bit.

I do know you save alot of weight using 88 calipers compared to the corvette ones in this case.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 calipers are aluminum are they not? The calipers on the lebaron swap are much, much heavier from what I remember anyways. They're definitely not aluminum. Cast iron or something.

Call me out on it if I'm wrong lol.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2011 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

The 88 calipers are aluminum are they not? The calipers on the lebaron swap are much, much heavier from what I remember anyways. They're definitely not aluminum. Cast iron or something.

Call me out on it if I'm wrong lol.

Half correct. 88 calipers are cast iron where they bolt to the knuckle, the section with the piston and such, the other half (called the bridge I think?) is aluminum. The two halfs bolt together, and you take both sections apart to change the pads.
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm very interested ....

------------------

My build Thread
http://www.tylerstoy.com
My LED marker kit

jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am also very interested.

------------------
My 87 GT 3800SC Swap thread
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109707.html

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2011 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:
I do know you save alot of weight using 88 calipers compared to the corvette ones in this case.

Well, I didn't think this was right, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and dug through the attic to find an '88 front caliper to compare to an '88 JL9 'Vette caliper. I don't have any experience with the earlier C4 calipers, but the loaded JL9 front caliper is definitely lighter than the loaded little Fiero caliper, even with two pistons. With aluminum brackets and two piece rotors, the 'Vette setup should be a few pounds lighter than the stock front '88 setup.

PFF
System Bot
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

Well, I didn't think this was right, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt and dug through the attic to find an '88 front caliper to compare to an '88 JL9 'Vette caliper. I don't have any experience with the earlier C4 calipers, but the loaded JL9 front caliper is definitely lighter than the loaded little Fiero caliper, even with two pistons. With aluminum brackets and two piece rotors, the 'Vette setup should be a few pounds lighter than the stock front '88 setup.

Is that bracket aluminum? The one on the one piston C-4 calipers is cast iron and fairly heavy. There are a couple of other advantage's with the "Vette calipers however, The pads have about twice the surface area of the '88 pad and they are avalable in a large number of friction compounds EBC alone has at least 4 different pads.

And from a style standpoint, the "Vette calipers will look better.

Joe

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2011 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bracket is also cast iron for the front, but it's rather thin and constitutes a very small weight gain. The entire front half of the '88 Fiero caliper is cast iron, and constitutes a significant weight gain. The Grand Am calipers are solid cast iron construction and weigh about twice the 'Vette caliper. The S10/Fbody/Caddy caliper used for the 11.25" swap is almost as heavy as the Grand Am caliper, but not quite. Fortunately the dual pistol Wilwood metric calipers are completely aluminum and are cheap. The only OE application caliper lighter than the 'Vette is the '84-87 Fiero caliper (which is worthless).

It's easy to see here which part of the '88 caliper is iron:

Originally posted by motoracer838:
There are a couple of other advantage's with the "Vette calipers however, The pads have about twice the surface area of the '88 pad and they are avalable in a large number of friction compounds EBC alone has at least 4 different pads.

A few more. The '88+ 'Vette JL9 calipers are free float dual piston, so the clamp force is greater and supplied more evenly across the pad. The 'Vette caliper doesn't use slider pins! The 'Vette caliper is cheap and MUCH easier to find. I don't know the status of the Fiero's late model calipers right now, but the last time I needed one, I could only find and special order one from NAPA, and it came from New Hampshire (one week shipping)! That was a few years ago, maybe someone's picked up the slack by now.

Any brake upgrade is better than the miserable excuse of brakes the early model cars have.

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 11-12-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wasn't going for weight savings. I am looking for a caliper that I can powdercoat (not paint) without disturbing the hydraulics, and a firmer pedal. I drive (one of) my Fiero(s) 350 days a year. The Corvette caliper is ugly in my opinion. I do like the Audi and Porsche calipers, but that would drive the budget way over.
As for the rear kit. I plan to have them finalized by Tuesday or Wednesday. The fronts are a quick bolt on with no mods needed. The rears look like they will be needing some mods to make work properly.
Dave
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-12-2011 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know. I apologize for going off topic, I just wanted to answer some of the questions that were floating around. The '88 calipers are great, I used them for six years, and can only sing their praise. Good luck with your kit.
mattwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I stand corrected, my mistake assuming the larger beefier caliper would weight more.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I know. I apologize for going off topic, I just wanted to answer some of the questions that were floating around. The '88 calipers are great, I used them for six years, and can only sing their praise. Good luck with your kit.

Not a problem. Input and constructive critism is welcomed. I'm not trying to build a kit that will snap your neck with the brake pedal. I don't think the tiny spindles could handle it.

I originally wanted to use Audi TT brakes, but the expense was building up and the Fiero master cylinder needed to be upgraded.

I did the booster upgrade and I still wasn't happy with the brake pedal feel. I like a firm pedal, but with my driving habits, the stock brakes are fine.....just too small for looks.

The 88 calipers seemed to stiffen up the pedal. I like the feel.

Dave
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
88' Vette front calipers that people use on Fiero's weigh - 4lbs
88' Fiero front calipers weigh - 5lbs
88' Fiero rear calipers weigh - 7.1lbs

In case anyone was interested.

So the difference is around 8lbs total. Not a big deal really.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2011 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a set, front. And, I am anxious to see what you come up with for the rear brakes.

------------------
2010 WRX, w2a chargecooled & stage II
1987 Fiero GT 3.4TDC w/ n20
KTM 250SX

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2011 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
longer stud bolts needed too??
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock