Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Haus of Guru: Brake upgrade kit for 84-87 Fieros (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: Brake upgrade kit for 84-87 Fieros by bmwguru
Started on: 11-10-2011 11:45 AM
Replies: 292 (15097 views)
Last post by: IXSLR8 on 11-26-2017 12:29 PM
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Sorry, I am not familiar with the 88 brake setup so I was just guessing they had some sort of different caliper mounting bracket. But thanks for clearing up my question.

It's not a problem, however they do mount very different compared to the 84-87's.

I own page 3 woo!

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-21-2011).]

IP: Logged
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2011 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I really would like to see a picture of the brackets and caliper installed without the rotor to see exactly how it goes together. I'm guessing from the brackets in the first post that this kit uses the original caliper mounting bracket (the part that can be unbolted from the knuckle) in the front?

Here is a link to Fiero Addiction's site. My kit is based off his.

http://www.fieroaddiction.com/8712_r3.html

Longer studs will be needed.

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2011 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed the front kit today, I found the brackets to be top quality, and the parts all fit as advertised.

[/hint] Now if I can only get the rear kit to swap the rear so I have matching calipers....

[/end hint]

[This message has been edited by topcat (edited 12-24-2011).]

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2012 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After holiday bump.
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any more updates?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The parking brake issue should be resolved by using 88 cables and the connector that Fieroguru designed for his brake upgrade. I don't have proof of this, but I'll see what I can come up with or if I can purchase the connector from him.

As for the rear brackets, I had an issue with the aluminum ones and will need some time to get them into spec. I can run a small batch of steel ones if need be. I wound up using steel ones on my car.

The rear are more involved to install than the front. The knuckle will need to be trimmed and the ball joint plate will need to be trimmed. The 88 calipers will be reversed from side to side and the parking brake will run over the axle instead of under.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 01-07-2012).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

The parking brake issue should be resolved by using 88 cables and the connector that Fieroguru designed for his brake upgrade. I don't have proof of this, but I'll see what I can come up with or if I can purchase the connector from him.

As for the rear brackets, I had an issue with the aluminum ones and will need some time to get them into spec. I can run a small batch of steel ones if need be. I wound up using steel ones on my car.

The rear are more involved to install than the front. The knuckle will need to be trimmed and the ball joint plate will need to be trimmed. The 88 calipers will be reversed from side to side and the parking brake will run over the axle instead of under.

Dave

From a length standpoint the 88 cables are longer than the 84-87 by about 4 1/2" (DS) and 7 3/8" (PS). What I do not know is if the available range of motion is the same between the years.

88 cable lengths:
DS = 34.25 with threaded end for adjustment
PS = 40.125 with barrel ends on both ends

84-87 cable lengths:
DS = 29.75 with threaded end for adjustment
PS = 32.75 with barrel ends on both ends
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2012 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,
When they are ready , i actually wouldn't mind mine in steel if it is not too much trouble.
also how much of the ball joint plate needs to be trimmed? any pics of this?
thanks,
al
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
an any updates bump????
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I caught the flu, but almost all better.

As for the brake kit, we are making a rear set for Topcat and it should be ready today. If everything fits as we hope, I'll run off more sets and get them up for sale with the people who bought the front set first in line for the rear set.
I still have a few front sets left in stock and ready to ship.

Dave
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i'll take a front set as long as the rear set is going to be made (steel first choice for the rear but not necessary). if it is just a matter of tweeking and testing and the parking brake issue is solved, pm me your desired method of payment and i'll pay for the fronts ...and add me to the list for the rears of course.
thanks
al
PFF
System Bot
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to double check on this rotor package to make sure it will fit. please let me know, thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-...2c14a#ht_6333wt_1180
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogt27

836 posts
Member since Jan 2011
Bump
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2012 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still have the flu kicking my butt.....

Those brakes will work as long as they are not HD brakes. The pads will be useless or you'll have to resell them. Best bet is to buy them from Summit Racing or Rockauto
Dave
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2012 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive tired looking on summit, but to get them zinc plated is ridiculous. I'll try rock auto. Thanks
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump, and looking for updates.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 01-02-2016).]

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will, the hubs are the same. I like this swap over the Lebaron swap for a couple of reasons.

1 - the caliper is a stock Fiero caliper and looks more at home on the Fiero
    2 - More stopping power

As soon as I get the brackets for the rear and get the rear done, I will put my LeBaron swap conversion in the Mall for sell. The LeBaron works great, but I like the look of the Vette swap more.

pm sent with my phone and contact info... I look forward to seeing you here in Charleston in May
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmm I wonder how this upgrade would work if I still had my S10 (if I can remember correctly) master cylinder in from my Lebaron swap... hmm..
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Hmm I wonder how this upgrade would work if I still had my S10 (if I can remember correctly) master cylinder in from my Lebaron swap... hmm..

It wouldn't work as well with the larger master cylinder if you don't upgrade to the S10 brake booster as well. Most likely too much pedal effort.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2012 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

It wouldn't work as well with the larger master cylinder if you don't upgrade to the S10 brake booster as well. Most likely too much pedal effort.

I currently have a bit of a spongey pedal. Brakes and master has been bled several times but its the same issue. I would prefer a firmer pedal at this point.
PFF
System Bot
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2012 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the front sets still available? I was going to do the LeBaron swap (actually used to get the brackets made) but I do believe I like this idea better. I am switching to a '88 rear suspension and was wondering if a similar upgrade was still being manufactured by anyone.

Bob
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2012 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few front sets left. pm me if you want one.

Dave
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm sent
al
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2012 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rear kit is back at the machinist getting remade. It will probably be a few weeks and then they will be ready to go.

In the meantime, between fixing BMWs and Fieros, we will be running off a few sets in steel.

Dave
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2012 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My front kit arrived today!! Very high quality looking stuff.
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just thinking, maybe you should ask and see if you can get this tread moved into the Mall section so we can leave feedback for you. My kit looks awesome, I cant wait to install it.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 06:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moved to The Mall by request of OP.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i am watching this thread waiting till it is iron out so to speak and get the kit when it is completed to use 88 fiero rears.
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2012 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Moved to The Mall by request of OP.

Awesome, thank you!
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2012 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this is a dumb question but it just crossed my mind a few little bit ago. My aftermarket wheels have hub centric rings for them, is there enough hub left after the rotor is mounted for the wheel to still center on, or do the wheels have to be lug-centric?
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2012 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is still enough hub left for the rim's hubcentric ring.
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any news on how the rear setup is coming along?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2012 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The brackets are still at the machinist getting redone.

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2012 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump - any updates?
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish...I think machinists and body guys have no sense of getting things completed in a rush.
Trust me, I am getting pretty pissed off and I'm ready to just run off a new batch at the cnc shop and scrap the bad brackets.
I did get the backordered parts needed to fabricate the metal sets yesterday, so I will try to run off a set or two for the guys that have been waiting.
Dave
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2012 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave
Are you talking about making steel brackets? If so ill take a full set, front and rear. I know the guys that bought the fronts get first choice but if you end up with a full set...ill take em.
Thamks
Al
zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just wanted to toss up a couple pics of how my front kit install turned out.

Your kit fits like a glove. This was my first experience doing brakes on my own, and it went flawlessly. Great upgrade!!
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave
Ill take a front set now while the rears are being worked on. Pm me payment info...paypal is ok with me
Al
Fierofreak00

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

I just wanted to toss up a couple pics of how my front kit install turned out.

Your kit fits like a glove. This was my first experience doing brakes on my own, and it went flawlessly. Great upgrade!!

I love the decals, where'd you get them ? -Jason

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock