Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall
  Haus of Guru: Brake upgrade kit for 84-87 Fieros (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Haus of Guru: Brake upgrade kit for 84-87 Fieros by bmwguru
Started on: 11-10-2011 11:45 AM
Replies: 292 (15097 views)
Last post by: IXSLR8 on 11-26-2017 12:29 PM
L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post11-14-2011 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any time the older rotors need to be machined down so that a modern rotor can be fitted over them, the studs will have to be lengthened. So yes, you'd need longer studs. Dave's photo's appear to be with the original studs, and in the last picture, you can see that the studs aren't long enough with the wheel placed over the rotor.

Sorry to jump in again, but the question was a day old.
IP: Logged
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by L67:

Any time the older rotors need to be machined down so that a modern rotor can be fitted over them, the studs will have to be lengthened. So yes, you'd need longer studs. Dave's photo's appear to be with the original studs, and in the last picture, you can see that the studs aren't long enough with the wheel placed over the rotor.

Sorry to jump in again, but the question was a day old.

Don't be sorry....all input is welcome.
Yes, longer studs need to be added. I used ones 1/4" longer on the final setup. I should have the rears completed later this week. I didn't have an open lift at the shop today, and probably not tomorrow, but Wednesday is looking good to get them put on.

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, you can put me on the interested list. -Jason
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

Half correct. 88 calipers are cast iron where they bolt to the knuckle, the section with the piston and such, the other half (called the bridge I think?) is aluminum. The two halfs bolt together, and you take both sections apart to change the pads.

swing and a miss... you've got this statement backwards.
BtotheB

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2011 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BtotheBClick Here to visit BtotheB's HomePageSend a Private Message to BtotheBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested as well...

Brad
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front brackets are ready for sale. The rears are going to have to be redone. The CNC shop didn't make the plates to my specs and they are a little off. I may just modify them, but for the time being, I'd like to get that starightened out. PM me if you want a set. I have 10 sets available.
Looking for $160 shipped to the lower 48 states.

Dave
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As soon as the rear sets are ready, please let me know. I definitely want a set
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2011 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not a problem.

Also, I can sand blast and powderoat the 88 outer caliper face if anyone needs. I can do most any color and I have a few core sets here to hurry the turnaround
fierogt27

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be possible for you to provide the machined hubs? My fiero is my daily driver and I cant afford to have it down more than a day or two waiting on the machine shop
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2011 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt27:

Would it be possible for you to provide the machined hubs? My fiero is my daily driver and I cant afford to have it down more than a day or two waiting on the machine shop

Get some used Fiero rotors and take those to the machine shop. Then purchase some new bearings and wheel studs and assemble. Then it is just a swap out when you are ready to install your brakes.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2011 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump for any further developments..
and to keep it near the top.
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front kits are 100% complete and ready for shipping. The kit is $160 shipped to the lower 48 states. There is very little mods needed to install the kit. You just need to redrill the rotors. I charge $25 per rotor, but any local machine shop can do it for you. The other mod is the front hubs need to be made from the original fiero rotors. Anyone with a brake lathe can do that. I did have to modify the front concentric rings from the original design. I chamfered them by hand to make it easier to install. On my prototype, I used a brand new rotor and "sweated" the ring on to make it a tight fit to the hub, but I found in the real world, rust happens and even a few thousands caused an issue. So, I chamfered the rings and they all fit great now.

As for the rear kit. It is pretty much exactly the same as Fiero Addiction's kit. I only had to cut off the ear of the knuckle, but didn't need to grind the bracket area. The 88 Fiero calipers are switched from side to side and longer parking brake cables need to be used. I will try the 88 cables to verify. The stock brake hoses seemed to fit fine, but the Fiero Store ones fit so much better. Also, the rear kit uses the REAR 88 Corvette rotors. Front rotors will rub due to the offset. I also had to rethread the 11mm caliper bolt holes in the knuckle to a 7/16 thread due to the impossibleness of finding the 11mm bolts in the correct size.

I was concidering making another version that uses front 88 calipers in the rear with spot calipers for the parking brake, but that is still just an idea.

The only thing left to do in order for me to sell the rear kit is to make a few changes to the rear brackets and test them out on the road.

Here is a pic of the rears....

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2011 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice and the price is really great so far !!!

------------------

My build Thread
http://www.tylerstoy.com
My LED marker kit

L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-25-2011 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That caliper looks so trippy facing forward like that.

Edit: I forgot to ask - The ebrake cable would needed to have been longer to reach the caliper with the larger rotors. Was the differences negligible with the earlier style cable, or did you have to modify or replace the cable?

[This message has been edited by L67 (edited 12-14-2011).]

topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2011 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my front brackets today and can not wait to get them installed. I am waiting on my calipers to be completed at the powder coater, and the rotors to be done at the machine shop. Should be working on them this time next weekend.

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Hi all,

I am in the process of manufacturing a kit for the pre-88 Fieros. This kit is very similiar to Fiero Addiction's 12" kit. I have no intention of taking away business from other Fiero vendors and I wanted this kit for my Fiero. I asked WCF if they would concider making this kit and I tried to get my hands on the Fiero Addiction kit, both with no luck.

The kit

ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2011 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dave,
there is a company i deal wiith that has virtually any bolt you might need (i am sure there are many theres but these guys have been good to me). no minimum order required and they would pprobably make what you need if they don't stock it. good for those of us who aren't the best equiped to rethread rear knuckles. keep us posted on the rest of the developments
and don't forget to hold my full set.

also this kit requires two front and two rear rotors from the c-4 vette, non hd..right?
al

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 11-25-2011).]

daveg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davegSend a Private Message to davegEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you find the front caliper makes contact with the shock when turning the steering fully to one side?

I did, and came up with a bracket that offset the caliper up so that I wouldn't have to relocate the shock. I was also concerned about the bracket thickness, for M12 bolts the thread engagement should be 18mm. I did accomplish this in both front and read, but it cost a lot more than $160, so your kit is a super deal.

__

the rotors to use are 1988 Corvette 12", non HD. If I recall correctly, they weight less than the Lebaron rotors, so a win-win for unsprung weight.

dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace5514:

dave,
there is a company i deal wiith that has virtually any bolt you might need (i am sure there are many theres but these guys have been good to me). no minimum order required and they would pprobably make what you need if they don't stock it. good for those of us who aren't the best equiped to rethread rear knuckles. keep us posted on the rest of the developments
and don't forget to hold my full set.

also this kit requires two front and two rear rotors from the c-4 vette, non hd..right?
al

I'd be very interested in knowing the company. I believe the bolt size needed is 11mmx1.5x20
I just tapped my knuckle to 7/16x14 and had no issues.
The kit does need two front and two rear rotors (non HD) from a 88 Vette.

Originally posted by daveg:

Did you find the front caliper makes contact with the shock when turning the steering fully to one side?

I did, and came up with a bracket that offset the caliper up so that I wouldn't have to relocate the shock. I was also concerned about the bracket thickness, for M12 bolts the thread engagement should be 18mm. I did accomplish this in both front and read, but it cost a lot more than $160, so your kit is a super deal.

__

the rotors to use are 1988 Corvette 12", non HD. If I recall correctly, they weight less than the Lebaron rotors, so a win-win for unsprung weight.

dave

I didn't notice any interference with the shock, but I will put the car up on the alignment rack on Monday and turn the wheel side to side to see if there are any clearance issues.

I have already sold and shipped four front kits. The rear will hopefully be ready in a few weeks. I put just a front set on my VR6 and don't plan on putting a rear set on.

Dave
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

bmwguru

4692 posts
Member since Sep 2006
Also, if anyone is interested in a set of 88 caliper faces (brackets) powdercoated, I can do a set of two for $50 shipped or four for $100 shipped. I have most every color.
I believe I have 8 spare brackets

Dave
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave,
the company is gardner - westcott, i checked but ther don't show an 11mm bolt in their catalog,
BUT i found these on the net they are auto trans flex plate bolts for the ls1 camaro
look here
http://www.hawksthirdgenpar...12point716-20-1.aspx
or here
http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/0...rentProductId=744956
also found these $.27 each
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/M464MA.html
al

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 11-26-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool....Thanks.

That gives us some options.

Dave
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I also had to rethread the 11mm caliper bolt holes in the knuckle to a 7/16 thread due to the impossibleness of finding the 11mm bolts in the correct size.

LS1 flywheel/crankshaft flange bolts work for the rear 84-87 upright. The manual transmission ones should be about 20mm long, if you need longer ones, then these are 27mm long:
GM Performance 19257940, bag of 6 for 5.99 from Jegs.
http://www.jegs.com/i/GM-Pe...rentProductId=835483
Eau_Rouge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2011 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, does this kit push the front wheels out at all? I have Audi TT 17x7.5 wheels with a 32mm offset on my car and if the wheels get pushed out anymore, I"ll have rubbing issues...thanks.
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, it will add the thickness of the rotor's hat to the offset. I didn't notice a difference on my car, but if your's is that close, then I would think they would rub.

Dave
KEV

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2011 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KEVSend a Private Message to KEVEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM sent

------------------

1999 GMC Jimmy 2dr 4x4
1985 Fiero GT 3800 N/A ...3800 S/C being rebuilt now.
1984 Fiero Indy #1098 w/ Centerline Wheels,Hooker Tri-y header and Indy Scoop with Strobe's
1984 SE Daily Driver

[This message has been edited by KEV (edited 11-29-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
pm returned

I will only sell the kits that are 100%.(which is only the front for now) I'm not taking any money for parts that are not ready to be shipped within 24 hours....or out of stock.

Dave
oldrock2401

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
didnt exactly read every post in this thread, but is this kinda like a 88 conversion kit?
L67

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-30-2011 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldrock2401:
didnt exactly read every post in this thread, but is this kinda like a 88 conversion kit?

What about the first post, did you read that?
oldrock2401

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oldrock2401Send a Private Message to oldrock2401Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not too much, im more of a picture guy lol....but i read all of it now
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oldrock2401:

Not too much, im more of a picture guy lol....but i read all of it now

Smart move
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2011 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guru, any updates on the rear kit?

As for the rear kit. It is pretty much exactly the same as Fiero Addiction's kit. I only had to cut off the ear of the knuckle, but didn't need to grind the bracket area. The 88 Fiero calipers are switched from side to side and longer parking brake cables need to be used. I will try the 88 cables to verify. The stock brake hoses seemed to fit fine, but the Fiero Store ones fit so much better. Also, the rear kit uses the REAR 88 Corvette rotors. Front rotors will rub due to the offset. I also had to rethread the 11mm caliper bolt holes in the knuckle to a 7/16 thread due to the impossibleness of finding the 11mm bolts in the correct size.

I was concidering making another version that uses front 88 calipers in the rear with spot calipers for the parking brake, but that is still just an idea.

The only thing left to do in order for me to sell the rear kit is to make a few changes to the rear brackets and test them out on the road.

Here is a pic of the rears....

PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2011 05:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm still working out the parking brake cables. I should have the answer this week. The brackets and rings are being modified still...Ryan has been busy making headers, but they are in the rotation to be modded.
I'm not sure how my front kit came out great and the rear kit has issues....I guess I should have waited until both kits were done before opening the beer...lol. I did complete my kit without issues, so it will only be a few weeks before the rest of the rear kits are ready. I have all the test miles on them and everything seems great.

Dave

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 12-10-2011).]

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2011 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the latest update. The 1988 Fiero parking brake cables do not work on this kit. Rather than try to find cables to fit, I'm planning on measuring the cables needed and making them myself. It is a pretty simple procedure.

Dave
topcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2011 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the update. I'm watching this thread closely.

Here is the latest update. The 1988 Fiero parking brake cables do not work on this kit. Rather than try to find cables to fit, I'm planning on measuring the cables needed and making them myself. It is a pretty simple procedure.

Dave

ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 04:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dave,
from what i read by the old maker of these, i thought the only issue with the cables was length (about 2"). didn't someone just ad another one of those stock gm connectors or adjusters for the added length?

like these. http://fierostore.com/Produ...px?s=56097&d=377&p=2

and a lil bump so dave knows we are still interested!!
al
bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The equalizer is not the problem. The problem is the passenger side cable is too short. I used a 1988 cable for the driver's side and it worked fine, but the passenger side needs to be longer. The 88 cable fits perfectly, but the throw is way too short and doesn't reach.

I'm just trying to get finished up with the holidays and then I should have the rear kit ready to go. I'll see what I can come up with the cable as well.

Dave
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really would like to see a picture of the brackets and caliper installed without the rotor to see exactly how it goes together. I'm guessing from the brackets in the first post that this kit uses the original caliper mounting bracket (the part that can be unbolted from the knuckle) in the front?

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 12-20-2011).]

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2011 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I really would like to see a picture of the brackets and caliper installed without the rotor to see exactly how it goes together. I'm guessing from the brackets in the first post that this kit uses the original caliper mounting bracket (the part that can be unbolted from the knuckle) in the front?

That is a good point/question that I had not thought of. Could I go down to autozone and buy 4 calipers for an 88 and be set, or do I need 88 specific original mounting brackets to start with to use with your brackets?
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

That is a good point/question that I had not thought of. Could I go down to autozone and buy 4 calipers for an 88 and be set, or do I need 88 specific original mounting brackets to start with to use with your brackets?

Not what I meant. The 88's don't have any additional mounting brackets, they bolt right to the knuckle. However, the 84-87's do have an additional bracket that bolts to the knuckle. So I was wondering if this kit uses that caliper mounting bracket or not.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-21-2011 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Not what I meant. The 88's don't have any additional mounting brackets, they bolt right to the knuckle. However, the 84-87's do have an additional bracket that bolts to the knuckle. So I was wondering if this kit uses that caliper mounting bracket or not.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the 88 brake setup so I was just guessing they had some sort of different caliper mounting bracket. But thanks for clearing up my question.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock