Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  ECM upgrade (1227730) for stock 2.8 (Page 27)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
ECM upgrade (1227730) for stock 2.8 by Darth Fiero
Started on: 01-09-2007 02:26 PM
Replies: 1066 (91649 views)
Last post by: turbo86se on 12-18-2017 10:19 AM
chetw77cruiser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread has been very quite for a while. Darth, have you had any further luck with the $8D code? I have a megasquirt in my car at the moment but will be installing the computer I had in my GT before I ventilated the block. It is the 730 running a modified $8D code. I killed the 7165 I was running and installed the megasquirt and TPI adapter board just to keep it going before I get the time to install the 730. Drive-ability is better with the 730/$8D code than with the megasquirt anyway.

Chet W.
IP: Logged
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Chet, PM sent.
sleevePAPA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleevePAPASend a Private Message to sleevePAPAEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero ran with $8D S_AUJP V4, flawlessly. CCP, EGR, highway mode, and a very safe PE tune with knock protection. Sold the car in January, still see it driving around. I still have the cal to share.
chetw77cruiser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chetw77cruiserSend a Private Message to chetw77cruiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleevePAPA:

My Fiero ran with $8D S_AUJP V4, flawlessly. CCP, EGR, highway mode, and a very safe PE tune with knock protection. Sold the car in January, still see it driving around. I still have the cal to share.

That is the $8D bin that I was using as well. I would be interested in a copy of your bin to compare to what I had. I believe you still have my email. If not, a PM is waiting for you.
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Due to recent conversations, I need to revise the following statement I made on page 20...

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Ok, for cars running a distributor, the only A/C related pressure monitoring device is a high side pressure switch that is normally closed (opens with high pressure) and connects to terminal BD12.

For DIS cars, there is an A/C pressure sensor used. This sensor mounts on the high-side A/C line and reports actual pressure readings back to the ECM. The sensor has 3 terminals, A = Sensor Ground Input (BB5), B = Sensor Signal Output (GF14), C = 5v Reference Input (BA4). For most applications you should NOT need to use this sensor since the Fiero's A/C controls turn the fan on any time A/C is selected anyway. But if you want to install and wire it up you can. The ECM uses the input from this sensor to determine when to activate the coolant fan based on A/C hi-side pressure.

-ryan

If you are using a programming code mask that requires a 3-wire A/C pressure sensor and you don't hook one up to the ECM, then the ECM will never be able to control the A/C clutch relay. This means the ECM won't know when your A/C is turning on (even if you feed it an A/C request signal) and this could cause stalling and idle problems.

The $A1 code mask requires a 3-wire A/C pressure sensor.
The $88 distributor (F-body) code mask does not.
That is what I know for sure.

There was an $88 DIS code mask used but I think all those also required a 3-wire A/C pressure sensor.

I can also say the 7730 ECM was used with DIS V6's in many 1987-1990 model year applications as well. Most of these did NOT use a 3-wire A/C pressure sensor. But in those cases, a 5-wire EGR valve was used (2 wires to control the EGR solenoid and 3 wires to provide the ECM with EGR valve pintle position). These older EGR valves are not to be confused with the 94-up linear 5-wire EGR valves that are much more common. The code mask programming used in the 87-90 DIS V6 applications were: $46, $55 & $6D (and there might be some obscure others). Some of these older code masks require the use of the old and unreliable AC Delco MAF sensor.

The Speed Density TPI V8 ($8D) code mask can be set up to work with a 2.8/3.1/3.4 OHV pushrod V6 and a distributor. It may also work with the stock Fiero EGR valve and it DOES NOT require a 3-wire A/C pressure sensor.

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 08-14-2014).]

Ridgelandbaseball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quick question,
In looking at Ryan's spreedsheet for the $88 program, the second item says:
A4 | gry/red | egr control, term B at EGR | move to | GF9 | hook knock sensor to this crcuit in engine compartment.

Just want to know how to find this wire in the engine compartment. I assume it is still gry/red but how do I trace it? Also, the same goes for the wire used for the coolant fan control that is moved to GE8.

Thanks

Edit to note that I have read thru this thread about 10 times trying to understand this upgrade and I finally think I've got it for the most part. I appologize if this has been mentioned already or is obvious.

[This message has been edited by Ridgelandbaseball (edited 08-16-2014).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ridgelandbaseball:

Quick question,
In looking at Ryan's spreedsheet for the $88 program, the second item says:
A4 | gry/red | egr control, term B at EGR | move to | GF9 | hook knock sensor to this crcuit in engine compartment.

Just want to know how to find this wire in the engine compartment. I assume it is still gry/red but how do I trace it? Also, the same goes for the wire used for the coolant fan control that is moved to GE8.

The grey/red wire goes to pin B of the original Fiero EGR valve connector in the engine compartment, as it is explained in the instruction sheet.
Ridgelandbaseball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now I got it. Although I bought a chip for my 7170 from a forum member that completely eliminates the EGR system. I guess I could run a new wire for both the knock sensor and the coolant fan temp switch.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ridgelandbaseball:

Now I got it. Although I bought a chip for my 7170 from a forum member that completely eliminates the EGR system. I guess I could run a new wire for both the knock sensor and the coolant fan temp switch.

You can always just run new wires for the knock sensor and fan control and not reuse existing wires already in the Fiero harness if you don't want to.
Ridgelandbaseball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RidgelandbaseballSend a Private Message to RidgelandbaseballEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One last question, (I promise) since I don't have the EGR system and have cut the wires A4 and D8, could I use two of the four wires that are not used A10, C12, D15 and D16 for the knock sensor and the coolant fan control switch?

Thanks
Yellow-88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Yellow-88Send a Private Message to Yellow-88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently I'm not alone on this.
I'll take a "kit" with instructions for a basic 2.8 / 5 speed as soon as it's on the market.

Yellow
PFF
System Bot
TA6SPD

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2016 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TA6SPDSend a Private Message to TA6SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a Bin that is working? I am looking for one that is set up for the digital EGR, Distributor, and Manual transmission.
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2016 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone ever post all that had to be removed and installed other than wiring? I have read thru this and I did not see a listing of what else had to be done.
FieroVin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2016 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, took me a while to get through this thread, lots of information, not sure if I understand it all but... I currently have my dead 2.8 out of the car and a 94 Camaro 3.4 getting dressed and ready. I have the DIS, crank sensor and EGR from the Camaro and I picked up a 7730 from 91 Chevy Corsica 3.1L. The silver label on my memcal? says Delco, AUXX, 3823 so from what I gather here that will need to be reprogrammed? There has been much discussion about different code masks and I've seen Darth's page with different pinouts for different setups. If I want to put this 3.4 in my 87GT with A/C can I use the DIS, crank sensor and EGR from the Camaro engine? If so, what do I need to do with my chip and which pinout/instruction should I use for the wiring harness? Hopefully these aren't completely stupid questions. :-)

------------------
Vin

1987 Fiero GT, Medium Red Mettalic, Lowered
2008 Solstice GXP, Aggressive
2014 Durango R/T

1988 - 2006 - The 18 year dry spell between 2-seat Pontiac Excitement was finally over... RIP Pontiac.

Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2016 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 7730 ecu and need the $88 mask. My motor is basically a 3.1 camaro engine with the dizzy. Darth if you read this I need an egr addapter, and a list of other items I might need. I've already labled the wires for the swap.
ron768

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2016 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ron768Send a Private Message to ron768Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Georgia Fiero Club sales the EGR adapter as a kit with the gaskets and bolts required. See their web site here gafieros.org .
FieroVin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2016 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroVinClick Here to visit FieroVin's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroVinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is another question, I have the 3.4 cam sensor plugging up the hole with the connector. Could/should that be used with a 7730 swap?
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2016 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, the cam sensor is used on ECMs that use sequential fuel injection. The 7730 is batch fire fuel injection. Cylinders 1,3,5 fire at the same time and 2,4,6 fire at the same time. If you look at the wiring diagram you can see each injector bank has one common fused power supply and ground.

I'm running DIS on my 1995 3.4L and have added a turbo. I'm running the Code59 code mask from the modified Typhoon/Syclone $58 code mask.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

No, the cam sensor is used on ECMs that use sequential fuel injection. The 7730 is batch fire fuel injection. Cylinders 1,3,5 fire at the same time and 2,4,6 fire at the same time. If you look at the wiring diagram you can see each injector bank has one common fused power supply and ground.

I'm running DIS on my 1995 3.4L and have added a turbo. I'm running the Code59 code mask from the modified Typhoon/Syclone $58 code mask.

Can you tell me about your build and email me your bin. I may turbo one of my 3.4 soon... Thanks!
Fierokid87

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2016 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierokid87Send a Private Message to Fierokid87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would code mask $88 be a good place to start in order to pretty much turn the key and run the motor? If so maybe I should go find a camaro/firebird with a 3.1 and use that ecu instead of the Beretta ecu I have now?
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2016 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

For the EGR adapter plate you might be able to order one from here: http://www.gafiero.org/shop.shtml

The crank position sensor goes in the trunk side of the block around the middle of the block, the knock sensor just screws into the block on one of the coolant ports. The sensor tells the computer what position the crank is in order to fire the right cylinder. You will only need the block mounted CPS.

As far as the coil packs go, the placement is up to you. I placed mine where the factory cruise unit goes and have not had any heat issues with it. I am running headers with no heat wrap either. I also added digital cruise and moved that unit to the firewall around the throttle body.

Hope this helps.

Hywel

Does this mean a block-mounted cam position sensor is available? I read through most of the thread, might have zoned out here and there, but I haven't seen any info on the cam position sensor. I've got a cammed '86 Fiero V6 sitting on a stand that I'd like to do the DIS, 7730 ECM and Firebird intake. I already have the coil pack and 7730, guess I just need more info on the CPS.
Thanks!!!
PFF
System Bot
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2016 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The crank sensor is what you'll need. The cam sensor would be useless for the 7730. It only uses the crank position signal for timing and injection.

Read up on this thread Here .
turbo86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2016 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f85gtron:

The crank sensor is what you'll need. The cam sensor would be useless for the 7730. It only uses the crank position signal for timing and injection.

Read up on this thread Here .

Ahhh yes, totally meant the crank sensor. Thanks for the link! More reading ahead... HAGO!
DMax

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DMaxSend a Private Message to DMaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe an extra question for the DIS swap....

Can a 24x crank sensor (standard on the 3.4 v6) being used for the DIS, when an 1227730 ecu controlls the ignition?

grtz, D
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2017 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not aware of any 7730 applications that can use a 24x trigger wheel. IIRC, the 24x wheel on the 3.4 V6 is used for sequential fuel injection. But the 7730 ECM doesn't do sequential fuel injection.
JDWheat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2017 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JDWheatSend a Private Message to JDWheatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
anyone near springfield (Nashville) Tn, that would help me finish this swap. egr delete, electric cruise, and dis.
turbo86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2017 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know of a source I can get the cam position sensor that'll work on a '86 2.8? Thank ya!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock