Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  ECM upgrade (1227730) for stock 2.8 (Page 22)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
ECM upgrade (1227730) for stock 2.8 by Darth Fiero
Started on: 01-09-2007 02:26 PM
Replies: 1066 (91650 views)
Last post by: turbo86se on 12-18-2017 10:19 AM
rjblaze

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2009 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rjblazeSend a Private Message to rjblazeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as I know, the fan should come on during the ALDL (A/B short) test. Every GM vehicle I own does this.

HEY! I OWN PAGE 22 !!!!!

[This message has been edited by rjblaze (edited 01-13-2009).]

IP: Logged
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2009 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im pretty sure my fan came on when i shorted A & B on my aldl on my last ratsnest harness merlot made. and i swear i read somewhere when shorting the terminals, the fan comes on to tell you your doing it right.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-13-2009).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2009 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

im pretty sure my fan came on when i shorted A & B on my aldl on my last ratsnest harness merlot made. and i swear i read somewhere when shorting the terminals, the fan comes on to tell you your doing it right.

Shorting A and B terminals together on the ALDL connector puts the ECM into diagnostic mode. On most OBD-1 cars with computer-controlled cooling fans, this turns the fan(s) on and does some other things with various outputs (as well as flashes the trouble codes thru the check engine light if the engine is not running). If your fan is not coming on when you do this, then you probably don't have something wired up correctly or there is still an electrical problem.

From what you have been describing about the problems you are having, I would have to say something isn't right in the wiring. OR at some point something wasn't right with the wiring and the ECM got fried (and maybe some other components). You may have since fixed the wiring issues, but now you might have a fried component or two in there. Hard to say and I'm just guessing based on what you've posted. Did you ever get the no-spark issue repaired?

-ryan
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2009 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i think my ecm is toast. but it flashes code 12.

i made some more corrections to the harness and made it match the 7730 schematic more. and now im not getting spark. im just gonna over time till it gets warm again, replace all the sensors and get a new ECM. and go over my harness again and make sure everything is correct.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
doesnt look like any of those are what the ECM needs on the connectors.

abd this....
http://cgi.ebay.com/Metri-P...sidZp1742.m153.l1262
is what are on the C203.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

flimbob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nope. weather pack are like the TPS, IAC, and MAP sensor connectors. im not sure what the ECM ones are called. maybe ECM type pins or something along those lines.

EDIT: you can look for the ecm connector pin removal tool kit and it comes with so many of the correct style female pins and the pin removal tool. its hexagonal shaped. and i think it even has the weatherpack terminal removal tool too.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-15-2009).]

flimbob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2009 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does this look like it?

It says it's a gm ecm pin made by Dorman, part #85328.
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
can anyone tell me how to do the timing using the 7730 and DIS? thanks, andrew
topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2009 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:

can anyone tell me how to do the timing using the 7730 and DIS? thanks, andrew

Computer controlled, you no longer have the ability to manually adjust it.
PFF
System Bot
mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
so i have to let it time itself?
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2009 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that timing is all programmed in the tuning. if your just running a stock 2.8 then nothing needed to do.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its a 2nd gen 3.1l? Im thinking its the same difference right.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2009 03:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nothing needed to do with the DIS

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2009 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

so i have to let it time itself?

no, it is already timed. timing on a DIS is controlled by a timing wheel on the crankshaft. there is nothing to move/vary from engine to engine, like a cap & rotor, so, the timing can be fixed/unadjustable.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2009 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, warm day and had about 45 min of daylight.... i tested the wires between the 5 pin DIS connector and the ECM plugs. all checked out fine. checked the power and ground on the 2 pin, all good. i removed the crank sensor wiring to wind together in the correct fashion i heard about from joe. well see what happens....anyone else have any input? if that proves nothing, then im down to replacing the ICM.
remember, no spark and the tach needle isnt moving. so its not getting something to send out....
crank sensor is going to be replaced too.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 01-22-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok, i just made a corrected crank prosition sensor wire (wires twisted together) and i am still getting no spark. tach needle isnt moving during cranking either. ICM possibly?

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987
My Fiero Fuel Economy
Videos of My GT
Google Videos of My GT
MPG Display for OBD I

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 02-05-2009).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2009 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ok, i just made a corrected crank prosition sensor wire (wires twisted together) and i am still getting no spark. tach needle isnt moving during cranking either. ICM possibly?

If your crank sensor is good and you have verified the wiring between the crank sensor and ignition module; and you have verified the ICM is getting power and ground where it needs them; then yes, it could be a bad ICM.

-ryan
R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry if this was covered before, but I couldn't find it.

I am making an adaptor wire interface to be able to plug in the factory Fiero wire harness with minimal modification to the Fiero. I have the Wire harness from the 7730 and the pin side of the Fiero computer ('87 GT). The I see the pin connection listed as "Pin A1 move to Pin BA11". The Fiero side pins are obvious. There are 4 banks of pins... A,B,C, and D. All of the pins are numbered. simple. The pins on the 7730 wire harness are labeled as 6 banks A,B,C,D,E, (and I presume but it is not marked) F. Which pin is "BA11"? is that the one in pin bank "A" and PIN #11? What does the "B" in front of it mean? Is that the connector (there are 3 which could correspond to B and G and Secondary wire harness)?

So in summary.... What does the "B" and the "G" for the 7730 Pin location mean?

Thank you.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2009 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I'm sorry if this was covered before, but I couldn't find it.

I am making an adaptor wire interface to be able to plug in the factory Fiero wire harness with minimal modification to the Fiero. I have the Wire harness from the 7730 and the pin side of the Fiero computer ('87 GT). The I see the pin connection listed as "Pin A1 move to Pin BA11". The Fiero side pins are obvious. There are 4 banks of pins... A,B,C, and D. All of the pins are numbered. simple. The pins on the 7730 wire harness are labeled as 6 banks A,B,C,D,E, (and I presume but it is not marked) F. Which pin is "BA11"? is that the one in pin bank "A" and PIN #11? What does the "B" in front of it mean? Is that the connector (there are 3 which could correspond to B and G and Secondary wire harness)?

So in summary.... What does the "B" and the "G" for the 7730 Pin location mean?

Thank you.

The "B" in front of "BA11" stands for "Black" connector. So "BA11" means "Black Connector, pin A11". And pin "GF16" means "Green (or yellow) Connector, pin F16".
PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2009 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

The "B" in front of "BA11" stands for "Black" connector. So "BA11" means "Black Connector, pin A11". And pin "GF16" means "Green (or yellow) Connector, pin F16".

Thank you Ryan! I was not sure if you or anyone else was checking this thread any more.

One more question..... I am using a harness out of a 91 F-body just like your Pin to Pin chart says (so I figure they should be close). While trying to make this harness, I noticed that on the F-body pig tail there was no wire for (I'm trying to remember) GF6. Should I be using the Fiero pig tail (I have a spare from the junk yard) to re-pin into the F-body connectors and then solder it to the back of the female Fiero computer input? (I have a junk one of those too ) OR, should I be using the F-body pig tail as the main wires?

Thanks for the help! I'll be needing a reprogram soon if things go well.
mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a list of what the codes mean anywhere besdies the ones on the forum? I could swear im getting code 54 but it isnt listed here. Thanks
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you Ryan! I was not sure if you or anyone else was checking this thread any more.

One more question..... I am using a harness out of a 91 F-body just like your Pin to Pin chart says (so I figure they should be close). While trying to make this harness, I noticed that on the F-body pig tail there was no wire for (I'm trying to remember) GF6. Should I be using the Fiero pig tail (I have a spare from the junk yard) to re-pin into the F-body connectors and then solder it to the back of the female Fiero computer input? (I have a junk one of those too ) OR, should I be using the F-body pig tail as the main wires?

Nevermind.... I think I figured it out. I am going to use the Fiero wires so that I can match up colors. Should make it easier to trace later.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can remove pins/wires from the Fiero ECM connectors and insert them into the connectors you are using for the 7730 ECM as needed. If you have extra left over from the F-body harness/connectors, you can use those as well.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2009 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002

Is there a list of what the codes mean anywhere besdies the ones on the forum? I could swear im getting code 54 but it isnt listed here. Thanks

http://www.gmtuners.com/OBD1_DTC.htm

Code 54 = fuel pump voltage low. This code usually sets when the Fuel Pump relay has failed (but the engine may continue to start and run because the fuel pump in stock Fiero applications gets power via the oil pressure switch which acts as the backup circuit).
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys! Don't mean to hijack but I thaught this is where everyone I am looking for would be. I am needing to enlist the help of somone familiar with doing the wiring for a 3400(LA1)/7730 swap into a fiero. This wiring is the last hurdle in my swap and I was hoping to get this thing together this summer. Thanks.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man what an awesome thread. Too bad there's not a similar upgrade for the 2.5L

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Man what an awesome thread. Too bad there's not a similar upgrade for the 2.5L

Actually there can be. The S10 pickups used the 2.5 duke with a distributor up until 1993. These used the 1227165 / 16156647 ECMs which were of the "P4" generation (same ECM was used in 1986-89 TPI V8 cars). The only problem is these ECMs use different connectors and wire terminals vs. stock Fiero; so the conversion wouldn't just involve a simple repinning of the harness. You would need to either buy the proper terminals and crimp them on or splice in wires that had the correct terminals. I have not done this conversion yet so I cannot tell you if there are any worthwhile benefits. This conversion would only work for 1984-86 Fiero 2.5's that had the distributor. 1987-88 2.5's with DIS won't be compatible with this ECM; but you wouldn't need it anyway. The ECM used in these cars was used thru 1991 in others with the same engine.

-ryan
NCTyphoonKid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NCTyphoonKidSend a Private Message to NCTyphoonKidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this thread
Korey
mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2009 10:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is there any program for the 7730 with an aldl.
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

is there any program for the 7730 with an aldl.

No, but FreeScan says it supports it...(I don't know for sure because I have never tried it)

http://www.andywhittaker.co...abid/70/Default.aspx
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tunerpro rt works with the 7730. unless i am not understand your question correctly.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | 87 GT Inside Test Run | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 01
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

mtownfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im basicly looking for something like winaldl but for the 7730. I want to be able to look at the values being sent to the ecm from the sensors since my motor is running slighltly rough.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2009 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

Actually there can be. The S10 pickups used the 2.5 duke with a distributor up until 1993. These used the 1227165 / 16156647 ECMs which were of the "P4" generation (same ECM was used in 1986-89 TPI V8 cars). The only problem is these ECMs use different connectors and wire terminals vs. stock Fiero; so the conversion wouldn't just involve a simple repinning of the harness. You would need to either buy the proper terminals and crimp them on or splice in wires that had the correct terminals. I have not done this conversion yet so I cannot tell you if there are any worthwhile benefits. This conversion would only work for 1984-86 Fiero 2.5's that had the distributor. 1987-88 2.5's with DIS won't be compatible with this ECM; but you wouldn't need it anyway. The ECM used in these cars was used thru 1991 in others with the same engine.

-ryan

Ooh now that's interesting. Maybe I could build an adapter harness so I could swap back and forth between the original computer and the newer one, like Jncomutt made on page 5. Need to start looking for a 92 S-10 shop manual with wiring diagrams, check the ECM pinouts...

Would the stock chip in these computers run the 84 (plug it in and fire it up once the harness is adapted), or would it need a custom chip burned? The 1227165 seems to be going for about $50 on ebay...
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2009 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

Ooh now that's interesting. Maybe I could build an adapter harness so I could swap back and forth between the original computer and the newer one, like Jncomutt made on page 5. Need to start looking for a 92 S-10 shop manual with wiring diagrams, check the ECM pinouts...

Would the stock chip in these computers run the 84 (plug it in and fire it up once the harness is adapted), or would it need a custom chip burned? The 1227165 seems to be going for about $50 on ebay...

While I haven't looked into this too much, I would imagine a stock chip from an S10 2.5 would run the Fiero 2.5 just fine; as long as the transmission type the chip was made for (auto or manual) matched the transmission you have in the car.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2009 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still no spark started checking DIS wires. first was all the grounds for the DIS. the 2 pin power connector is good. the 5 pin, i checked ground first. pin "F". it shows its grounded when the IGN is OFF. when i turn ign to run, it shows OL on the DMM meaning its open. does this mean my ECM is toasty?

------------------
3500 Fiero GT Test Run 02 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 03 | 3500 Fiero GT Test Run 04
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
also, on the 5 pins on that DIS connector, is pin E, the REFERENCE supposed to be at 5v or what? how can i test to see that the ECM is putting the right ' stuff ' out for the BYPASS, EST and the REF?

------------------

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 04-12-2009).]

Brint

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2009 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrintSend a Private Message to BrintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gwain, thank you for the EGR adaptor plate. Got it last Friday. Ryan, thank you for all your help and answered questions. I've just about got this thing ('87 GT) all wired up and ready to turn the key. The goal is to have it all done so al I have to do is plug in the PROM when Ryan is done with it Thanks again guys!
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2009 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

also, on the 5 pins on that DIS connector, is pin E, the REFERENCE supposed to be at 5v or what? how can i test to see that the ECM is putting the right ' stuff ' out for the BYPASS, EST and the REF?

I believe the Reference output from the ICM should toggle between 5v and ground (high/low) to signal the ECM there was a "reference pulse". However, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. The ICM should command the coils to produce a spark with a cranking engine WITHOUT any ECM connected to it. All it needs is power, ground, and a crank sensor signal. So I recommend you disconnect the ECM connection to the ICM and work to get your spark events occurring first. Then we'll worry about what the ECM is doing.

-ryan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 27 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock