Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe (Page 22)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe by cptsnoopy
Started on: 04-27-2004 07:21 PM
Replies: 1012 (72864 views)
Last post by: cptsnoopy on 11-05-2023 09:50 PM
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davylong86:

That's a beautiful paint job! Are those new qtr windows? if so where did you get them.

Thank you!

Those are new aftermarket quarter windows that I bought from a seller on eBay. He does great work but I don't know his username on PFF. These fit very well but they are pretty soft and very easy to scratch. You will want to be careful when cleaning them. Treat them like plexiglass and they'll be fine.

Here is a link to his current eBay listing.

Charlie
IP: Logged
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

Oops... someone's drooled on your paint.
davylong86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Charlie, I agree blooz, drooling on my key board. He's glad we not standing by his car lol!
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Dave and Davy!

It's starting to get warm out here and i'll have to worry about dripping sweat all over the paint..

I just received a couple more goodies that will enhance the Fiero experience.

FedEx drops off this box... Hmmmm, I wonder what's in there?

Grey Corbeau GTS II seats! Yay!!! now I can gete rid of the cheap-skins

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
installing the new seats was not as easy as I had hoped it would be. The Corbeau seat mounting holes are 2 inches less in width and 1 inch less in length than the stock Fiero seat mounting holes. After reviewing several options, I elected to cut some 2" bar stock and use it to adapt the new seats to the Fiero seat rails and be able to use the stock seat mounting locations on the floor of the car. To avoid clearance issues, I elected to use countersunk bolts. That ended up working after cutting down an allen wrench to the lowest profile I could manage. Below are some pictures...

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I had to move the seats outboard .75" to "center" them. This was a very tight fit on the drivers side between the center hump and the e-brake handle. The Corbeau GTS-II seat is just a little wider than the stock Fiero seat but the bolsters are quite a bit higher. I am hoping that the inner door handle will fit ok and not push on the side of the seat when the door is closed. There is just enough room to tilt the seat back forward and back without getting hung up on the headliner but I definitely feel a couple of inches higher when sitting in these seats compared to my stock Fiero seats. I am hoping that I will be happy with that. My head is only about an inch from the roof...

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
From Fiero Tom. This looks great mounted in the car and it works fine. I still need to get another set of dot matrix aux gauge and HVAC/Radio bezels, I accidentally let my good ones go with my other Fiero when I sold it... Dohhhhh!

Charlie

JayinMI

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayinMISend a Private Message to JayinMIEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is that modded to have an aux in on the front? Pretty sweet. I wonder if that would work with the Grand Prix HUD.

Jay
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JayinMI:

Is that modded to have an aux in on the front? Pretty sweet. I wonder if that would work with the Grand Prix HUD.

Jay

Yes, Fiero Tom is modding these for a front panel aux input and it works great!

Here is a link to his thread.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finished installing the new carpet. Bought it from stockinteriors.com. It's not perfect but it is a very nice upgrade from the original worn out carpet. Installing it was a pita and it took around 12 hours total for the whole job.
I'll post a pic or two tomorrow.
Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The lighting is different for each photo but you get the idea.
This is the ultra-plush cut pile option with mass-backing. around $300 shipped. It is premolded then sent rolled up in a box. it takes awhile for the carpet to regain it's molded shape after unboxing so for a little while I was wondering if it was the correct fit. For the most part I like it. It is definitely a lighter color than the stock carpet but ok for me. Lighter colors out here mean less heat in the car.
Installing was the biggest issue. You have to carefully trim the carpet to fit all the way around plus open the necessary holes for the seat and seat belts. It was easier on the passenger side and it still took me around 6 hours to do just that one side. It was about the same amount of time for the driver's side. The extra difficulty trimming around under the pedals was offset by my being quicker from already having done one side.

Charlie

Driver's side

Passenger side
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2014 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It must be getting hot down there... white hot.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

It must be getting hot down there... white hot.

Lol, I wish! If my parts get painted I might get a chance to try getting it aligned and roughly tuned before it gets too hot. Won't be long now before the white paint pays off...

Maybe if I could relocate to your neck of the woods for the next 5 months...

Charlie

Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From Fiero Tom. This looks great mounted in the car and it works fine. I still need to get another set of dot matrix aux gauge and HVAC/Radio bezels, I accidentally let my good ones go with my other Fiero when I sold it... Dohhhhh!

Charlie

I have a set of dot matrix panels. If you want them, I'll check condition & get back to you.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That would be great Paul!

I do have a good condition dot-matrix radio bezel coming but I still need a dot-matrix aux gauge bezel to complete my set of panels. I would be happy to buy them both or just the aux gauge panel, your choice. I do have a grey aux-gauge panel that's in good shape that I could send you if you needed something to replace the one you're thinking of sending me.

Thank you,

Charlie

Originally posted by Tha Driver:

I have a set of dot matrix panels. If you want them, I'll check condition & get back to you.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I just about finished installing the interior tonight. Not new looking but way better than it was before I tore the interior out. Mostly thanks to a new headliner, carpet, seats and some Florida plastic trim that was not nearly as warped and dry rotted as the original was.

Just need a dot-matrix aux gauge bezel to complete the matching set and it'll be good to go.

There are some other loose ends that need to be tied up along with getting the rest of the body attached. Then alignment and tuning...

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tried using one of my two windshield cowlings that I recovered from the parts yard and it seems they like to shrink over time and probably due to the weather conditions we get here every summer... I noticed that PISA has a new product which is a fiberglass version of the windshield cowling. They are located here in Phoenix. I called them and Marty said he had one handy so I bought it and I like it!
Below are the pics. The only thing I did to dress up the area was to lightly sand and repaint the wiper arms.
Last word from the painter is that he might get the rest of my body parts painted by the beginning of July. I'll believe that when I see it.

Charlie

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 05-31-2014).]

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2014 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2014 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Last word from the painter is that he might get the rest of my body parts painted by the beginning of July. I'll believe that when I see it.

Charlie

What the hell is it with painters anyway???

Hey guys, I see a light at the end of the tunnel,
Oh carp, it's a train. Joe

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2014 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seeing is believing! I picked up the remaining headlight door plus the front and rear bumper covers yesterday afternoon. I had other things to do but was able to fit the rear bumper cover on and install the taillights today.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2014 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the rear pretty much done. Started on the front late this morning but will not have it finished for another couple of days. Just waiting on the rockers and the mirrors...

Charlie

PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' mighty fine Charlie. I bet you'll surprise more than a few people when you goose the gas on public roads. Can't wait to see a video of it on the streets.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lookin' mighty fine Charlie. I bet you'll surprise more than a few people when you goose the gas on public roads. Can't wait to see a video of it on the streets.

Thank you Dave! Sent my request in for collector car insurance today. I asked for an agreed value of $15,000 and the unofficial quote was $213/year. (good for up to 5000 miles/year) I am hoping they get back to me soon as the painter is working on the mirrors and rockers as I type...

I am guessing I am entering a whole new phase when it comes to tuning the Holley 950. "Let us Pray" as my brother likes to say...

Actually the next big deal is the alignment. I don't know how it happened but It is obvious that both rear wheels are miss-aligned to the right of center.
Finding a good alignment shop might be a test these days.

The only additional things that I got done since the last picture was getting the headlight doors installed and getting all the lights working.

Charlie

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Let us Pray Play" as my brother likes to say...

There. Fixed it.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am hoping

Charlie
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well done, Charlie. It's been a long road from this:

Now let's get 'er done...

Bob
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol! Yes, it's been a fun 10 year project. Thank you Bob!

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably a long story but the mirrors have gone missing.

Hoping to find them or suitable replacements by next week

Charlie

Edit to add the good news. The mirrors have been located! The final items should be painted and ready to install by Wednesday of next week.

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 07-31-2014).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Posting in the mall too but I need at least 3 wingstand studs. Somehow I managed to misplace my original 4.

Charlie
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you find matching bolts of appropriate length, and cut off the heads?

Bob
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Can you find matching bolts of appropriate length, and cut off the heads?

Bob
it may come to that but the originals have a washer like shoulder that is needed (imho) and I'm hoping I can locate 3 more with that feature. At least I can drive the car without them for now.

Charlie

PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2014 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I may have another set of stands coming with studs in them. Will just need to have them painted.

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest update from the big island of Hawaii. Iselle crossed the island last night and surprisingly it was very calm here in Kona. The 14,000' tall volcano's did an awesome job of protecting this area. I am finally starting to see and hear the wind as it is now coming from the West/Southwest and there is nothing to block it. Not too bad though, probably only 25 to 35mph. But, because I am out here and our flights are cancelled from Phoenix, I will have to wait to install the final parts on the car. I picked them up on Wednesday and was told to wait a couple days for the paint to really dry before installing them. Now it looks like next week sometime before I will be back in town.

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the rockers and mirrors installed but there were casualties with one each of both items...
The driver's side rocker installed easily and with no issues. The passenger rocker front clip ducked under the slot it was supposed to slide into and when I massaged it back up into the slot, the paint cracked. One more item for the paint touch-up list. Otherwise, both rockers are installed and look ok. I knew before hand that the power mirrors I borrowed from the 86SE parts car did not work but they were in good physical shape. I found out during troubleshooting that both the mirror motors and the mirror switch were not working. It was kind of a pita to get the motors apart but luckily they were not damaged too bad during the process and all I needed to do was spin the motors by hand a bit and then they worked fine. The mirror switch was another pita but after very carefully getting it apart, I used 600 grit to remove the corrosion on each of the contact points and now the system works pretty well. The only real casualty was in breaking the passenger side mirror glass when trying to push the glass backplate pivot into the motor clips. I have a new replacement mirror glass on the way and should have it installed on Monday. Now I am working on the ride height and a rough alignment so I don't wear out the new tires getting to an alignment shop. Not sure if anyone is willing to work with me on this car because I cannot let them open or shut the doors. I may end up doing the full alignment on my own... Latest pics of the completed interior (except the armrest lighter cover) and the outside.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
Still need one oem style wingstand stud to mount the wing...

I noticed that the stock rear bump stops are breaking down and are basically rotting off the struts. Does anyone know of a source for new rubber or poly replacements?

Charlie
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol, thank you Dave
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Bob
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Bob

Thank You Bob! How's your ride coming along?

Charlie
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-17-2014 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank You Bob! How's your ride coming along?

Charlie

Too slow.

Bob
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock