Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe (Page 10)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe by cptsnoopy
Started on: 04-27-2004 07:21 PM
Replies: 1012 (72859 views)
Last post by: cptsnoopy on 11-05-2023 09:50 PM
GSXRBOBBY

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2007 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Snoop.....get off your ass!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
NEW e-mail address ankerenterprises@yahoo.com
Anker Enterprises L.L.C. My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

IP: Logged
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2007 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's how I did my belt. I wanted to use what I had, and my idler pulley was too small to put on top, so I used the bracket I made to mount the tensioner up high. It doesn't show in the pic, but I backed the mounting bolt with a nut.

And the coolant tube I made for the front of the cradle:

Bob
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:

Snoop.....get off your ass!!!

Tell me about it!

I have been working an extra job on the side to pay bills. We are still matching record temps out here but very soon (usually by Halloween which is in 17 minutes) it cools off nicely... (I hope)

RCR, nice fabbing. Looks simple and effective.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2007 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:
RCR, nice fabbing. Looks simple and effective.

Thanx...Simple took me 3 days to come up with. No wonder it's taking me so long to build this car.

Bob
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2008 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
bump, buMP, BUMP!!!
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something new and very cool coming down the pike!
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Something new and very cool coming down the pike!

an ls7? LOL
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

an ls7? LOL

Lol, no not that big of a change! One of Russ544's creations. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087315.html
should be here around the middle of next week.
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2008 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol, no not that big of a change! One of Russ544's creations. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087315.html
should be here around the middle of next week.

I hate you ..j/k ..that's better than an ls7

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 03-23-2008).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Latest parts:

As mentioned, Russ544 ITB setup.

And, (for Phoenix temps with A/C running) Archie's HD radiator.

To move the battery up front, Archie's fiber-glass battery box.
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Latest parts:

As mentioned, Russ544 ITB setup.

A

hey ..weren't you supposed to send that to me in trade for a wiring harness?

PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I.... don't..... remember..... for.... sure...... :?

Now that I have it I don't think I can let r go...
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2008 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I.... don't..... remember..... for.... sure...... :?

Now that I have it I don't think I can let r go...

If I had that setting in my living room ..I probably would make love to it or at least build a shrine for it
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided it was time to finish up the sub frame so I welded on a brace to hold up the original piece of the front cross member to the new cross member. I guess I should have looked closer at the old pics or at least had the tranny sitting on the sub frame before welding on the brace. I now appears that it may interfere with the tranny starter mount housing. Next thing, set the trans on there to see how close it is...

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
There was not quite enough clearance between the new brace and the trans case so I will need to remove a little bit of metal.

Russ544

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot... what are you using for trans and engine mounts again?

R
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Russ,

I am using the old 1/2 ton dodge engine mounts. I don't remember the year but I would not recommend them anyway as there is no safety catch if the rubber separates from either side of the mount. I put three more mounts in place (some what like dog bone mounts) to keep the engine from moving far enough to let the main mounts tear apart. I don't plan on driving this car very hard so I hope it holds together.

charlie

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2008 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hi Russ,

I am using the old 1/2 ton dodge engine mounts. I don't remember the year but I would not recommend them anyway as there is no safety catch if the rubber separates from either side of the mount. I put three more mounts in place (some what like dog bone mounts) to keep the engine from moving far enough to let the main mounts tear apart. I don't plan on driving this car very hard so I hope it holds together.

charlie

Im using them on my swap ..Darth Fiero is confident enough using them that he uses them on customers cars he swaps engines into so I guess I will give them a go...I am concidering drilling through them and putting a bolt and nut for a safety catch

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

Im using them on my swap ..Darth Fiero is confident enough using them that he uses them on customers cars he swaps engines into so I guess I will give them a go...I am concidering drilling through them and putting a bolt and nut for a safety catch

I think they will work ok if you don't run at the track. That is were Darth Fiero said that he tore a couple apart on his car. (IIRC)
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think they will work ok if you don't run at the track. That is were Darth Fiero said that he tore a couple apart on his car. (IIRC)

they do make some dodge mounts that have the interlocking setup if you don't already know ..I almost went with them but didn tlike the way the interlocking tabs stuck out the side of the mount. At 2 bucks a pop if I manage to break on I will just try one with a bolt through it and see what happens. I like the low profile of the mount
Russ544

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
as long as you use a good dogbone system you'll be fine. I'm using 4 stock type (very soft) Fiero trans mounts to support my assy without issues, but I also have 2 dogbones to limit torque twist.

Russ
PFF
System Bot
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2008 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice too see your back at it....Your build has helped me along the way. Thanks

Mike
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2008 05:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buds:

Nice too see your back at it....Your build has helped me along the way. Thanks

Mike

Thank you for the kind words Mike.

charlie

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 04-27-2008).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2008 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little paint ought to help...

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2008 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First Ace Hardware run for bolts. Only $73 and change this time around.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2008 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some pics after getting some of the brackets finished and the spec clutch installed.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2008 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some pictures of the Aurora mounted on the subframe. I need to weld another O2 bung on the rear exhaust. The egr bung will be welded where you see it sitting. I will try to make an exhaust brace from the rear head to the rear exhaust to support the weight of the cat. Then the clutch slave will be setup. After all of that, the water system will get figured out and last will be the electrical.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
new transmission output shaft seals installed and a dust cover for the transmission bell housing fabbed out of 1/8th in Aluminum installed. (pita)
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Love the mounts ..that sucker aint going anywhere I really like the dual purpose skidplate/front-back motor mount shared plate. My pan is about a 1/4 of an inch below the bottom of the frame so I just might have to make something like that to protect it ..that's one big azz alternator ..I'm using a fiero alt for mine so that in case it breaks down away from home..I could actually change it without much trouble ..it looks like you cut off the front dog bone mount ..did it interfere with anything? BTW what AC compressor is that?

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 05-09-2008).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2008 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Erik,

Your right, the dog bone mount was cut out. I don't remember why right now. The A/C compressor is a new OEM Harrison V-5 to replace the older one that was originally in the car. I just needed to make a mounting setup that kept it real close to the motor so that alternator would fit. The alt is from a mid 90's caddy IIRC.

It looks like I will need to extend the A/C flex lines about an inch or so to connect up correctly. I will be measuring that up shortly.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's time to make the clutch work. I cut the angled part of the clutch arm off and left only the part that mounts to the trans. I plan to use a direct pull so I will need to fab a new arm with no offset that is fixed perpendicular to the clamping bolt on the arm mount. Once I manage to mount it to the cast arm mount I will provide more pictures. The first three pictures are of the clutch arm (the last is showing the little bit of relief that I needed to get the mount on the trans because the N* water log bolt is just a tad too close.) The last picture is the pull type slave that I will use. This is normally used on a VW clutch setup. I will need to swap the bleed valve with the hydraulic fitting to make it so the bleed valve will be the highest point in the system while the hydraulic fitting is nearest the left side of the car.

PFF
System Bot
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just shaved a little off the top of the clutch arm to miss the log....Drove it tuesday for the first time.

As for A/C I had a hydrulic hose company make me new lines....Ditched the connection on the drivers side frame and tapped into the lines right beside the gas tank...Much cleaner looking.
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2008 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just shaved a little off the top of the clutch arm to miss the log....Drove it tuesday for the first time.

As for A/C I had a hydrulic hose company make me new lines....Ditched the connection on the drivers side frame and tapped into the lines right beside the gas tank...Much cleaner looking.

Hi buds,

I think that the getrag clutch arm will clear ok with that mod but the Isuzu apparently needs more work so I just decided to set it up differently. Thanks for the idea concerning the A/C lines. I am going to have a shop make up a new set of lines. I will go with whatever is easier, using the stock connectors on the left side or cutting and running direct like you did.
SpeedWorksAutoTuning

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpeedWorksAutoTuningSend a Private Message to SpeedWorksAutoTuningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
good job
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SpeedWorksAutoTuning:

good job

Thank you.

Hi buds,

I noticed you said you drove yours recently, how did it go?

buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I noticed you said you drove yours recently, how did it go?

Better then expected. Its actually silly fast, think I stretched my face from the hugh grin I had. Idle hunts a little when coming to a stop but settles down after a few seconds.

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2008 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Better then expected. Its actually silly fast, think I stretched my face from the hugh grin I had. Idle hunts a little when coming to a stop but settles down after a few seconds.

Good to hear. I like the idea of silly fast...
buds

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A little inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYCcj7R5Gfo

I like the sound of that!

Here are a couple of pictures showing the progress of the modified clutch arm. The original piece fits (press fit) into the new arm until the keyed hole is 1/2 covered. I still need to grind out the area on the new arm that now covers the hole. Then 3 bolts will go through the little holes you see in both arms and that should hold it together fine. The distance from the center of the keyed hole and the center of the slave bolt was 5" on the original arm, this one turned out to be 4-15/16". It should be close enough. If everything clears at the trans end of the arm, I will make the bracket that will hold the other end of the slave. It will be bolted to the original slave mount on the trans.

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2008 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
love the details ..the devil is in them you know
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock