Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Construction Zone
  Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe (Page 17)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Aurora 4.0l / Izuzu 5 speed swap into 88 coupe by cptsnoopy
Started on: 04-27-2004 07:21 PM
Replies: 1012 (72842 views)
Last post by: cptsnoopy on 11-05-2023 09:50 PM
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Russ544:

It will be up to you to carry the torch from here Charlie. mine went on E-bay this AM at no reserve (see mall for link).
who will paint your car?

Cheerio,
Russ544

Please post a pic or link to your new toy! (when you get it...)

Charlie

PS: I'll do the best I can, tough to even try to compete with your skillz!
IP: Logged
Russ544

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2009 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ544Send a Private Message to Russ544Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a model A coupe with mustangII running gear. should be fun to cruise around in. bring your wife to Oregon and we'll take you both out to dinner in the rumble seat
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...geName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

PS: you seem to be managing to get your's done (if a bit slow ) without me just fine ha ha

see you soon my friend,
Russ544

[This message has been edited by Russ544 (edited 08-25-2009).]

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2009 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the offer Russ! I don't know when I could work that out but I will keep it in mind. My wife lives in CO, and I am in AZ.

I did some more sanding tonight. Enough to wear some skin raw on my pinky finger...

First two pics are of the general area worked on. The speckled stuff is where the media blast dug deeper in than the black primer. I am hoping a primer or filler will take care of those. The third pic is of a couple of cracks in the corner of the upper rear body. I was given some Evercoat SMC Panel Adhesive 3 #994 to fix it and other cracks on the top body pieces with. Hopefully that will take care of those.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2009 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small snag to report.

I have been running the engine every week or two to keep the fluids circulated and the seals lubed. The last couple of times I noticed that the engine was dropping a cylinder or two on the forward bank. I figure that the most likely culprit is an injector. The ones that were in the ITB setup were used and I had the "new" ones that came with the Shelby engine sitting on the shelf. So I had them flow checked and cleaned. They are flowing within 1% of each other so I swapped them in. Now the engine will not start. During cranking I will occasionly hear a cylinder fire but not enough to sustain any rpm at idle.

So, I am wondering if it is considered normal for an old injector to flow more fuel than a new one at the same pulse width and voltage?

I will try enrichening the mixture in the base fuel map to see if that will make any difference.

Charlie
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2009 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All is better. I don't know why the new injectors flow less fuel at the same PW but I enriched the base map and the engine runs again.

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2009 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:
and the engine runs again.

Your one step up from my project so far. :P. Keep it up!

------------------

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2009 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious if it is ok to sand closer to the base material. Some of the black primer near the rear of the hood is sun damaged. The areas that I have sanded through are nice and smooth though.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In school until the end of the month. Really hoping to get this painted and on the road this year...

Still considering what to do about venting the front hood and rear decklid... What to do, what to do???

Charlie
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear from you, Charlie I been wondering what you been up to. As far as my swap goes I see a little, tiny beam of light a the end of the tunnel
88GTS

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2010 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTSSend a Private Message to 88GTSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea Charlie, we need another first start up video clip!
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys! Still kicking but now that the weather is perfect for doing some more body work, I am buried in school for another few weeks. I would like the next vid to be "first road test"

Charlie

PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to get brave and try filling in the cracked corner of my rear roof section. While I was using a half round rasp to prep the cracked area it began to look more like a factory flaw in the roof section that was filled in with something. It was crumbling away as I ground it out. I mixed up some SMC Panel Adhesive and added some chopped up fiber. After packing it into the damaged area I let it sit for about an hour. It was ready to sand down by then and as usual it took a bit longer than I thought it would but I think it came out ok. Well, hopefully ok for my first repair on this stuff...

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 06:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The next item on the list was to figure out how to get the hood to clear the Archie Radiator. The hood hinge support was contacting the radiator cap when trying to close it.

Using Oreif's suggestion, I notched the hood and it seems like it will be fine.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I ordered this today.

The trunk was getting quite hot on the passenger side even with the stock sheet metal heat shield in place. I am hoping this stuff will help keep the heat out of the trunk if I put it between the stock sheet metal heat shield and the trunk. That and another heat deflector to carry the heat away from the coil pack should be sufficient.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started the process of disconnecting the electrical and coolant systems in preparation to raise the car off the cradle hopefully for the last time. I received the heat shield kit from JC Whitney and hope to have it installed on the firewall and forward trunk wall asap.

Charlie

BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At this rate I maaaaaay catch up with you j/k
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2010 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BMTFIERO:

At this rate I maaaaaay catch up with you j/k

Lol, don't you have a couple Fiero engine swaps underway as we speak?

I am hoping my mortality lasts long enough to get to enjoy a couple laps around the block in this thing.

Charlie

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2010 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I feel your pain, Charlie...At least I went out and bought a throttle body gasket today....

Bob
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2010 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol, don't you have a couple Fiero engine swaps underway as we speak?

I am hoping my mortality lasts long enough to get to enjoy a couple laps around the block in this thing.

Charlie

I too feel your pain, it's been more than 3 years since I made a meaningful post on my Northstar swap!!!

Man I hate when that happens. Joe
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was not too bad getting the cradle out. I just had a hard time remembering how to do it...

If I get more time this week, I should be able to post some pics of the installed heat shield when it's done.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I actually spent a little time working on the car again today.

Heat shield from JC Whitney (two 4' X 6' rolls)

Stuff that came with it...

Tools of the trade. I found that Goo Gone (the orange stuff) works great to clean up the sticky over-spray.

Before shot of rear engine compartment/trunk wall

After shot of same.

With stock heat shield.

Before shot of the firewall. This is gonna require some medication...
After shot TBA...

Sneaking a shot of the engine/cradle in... I just love the look of that thing!

Charlie

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 07-14-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
BMTFIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2010 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sneaking a shot of the engine/cradle in... I just love the look of that thing!

Charlie

Gosh, that shur is pretty
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2010 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tim, that's not a self portrait is it?

Ok, here is the firewall heatshield installed. I hope it helps.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not completely idle: I thought it would be nice to have a return spring on the clutch arm to help prevent premature throwout bearing wear.

Painted:

Installed:

Charlie

ShaddowGt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2010 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ShaddowGtSend a Private Message to ShaddowGtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wtb updaaaate
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ShaddowGt:

wtb updaaaate

Ok, Lol,

sorry this is a lame update (I don't think you got your monies worth )... I have not worked on project "Christine" for a couple of weeks due to other priorities taking up time...

I did get by AutoZone and picked up some 90 degree molded elbows for splicing in the new heater core. Also, I lowered the car back onto the cradle and got clutch slave and rear bay coolant lines connected. When the heater core is done (probably after removing and cleaning the evap core) I will hook the rest of the engine connections up and see if the heat shield is effective.

Charlie

Engine Bay/heat shield pics. Not much excitement here...

New heater core even though it does not really look new... (from Rock Auto)

Parts to splice in the elbows for the heater core...

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got some time to get the rest of the connections made and put the coolant back in. It surprised me somewhat that the heater lines did not trap air until I ran the engine. I put back the same amount of coolant before I ever turned the engine over... Anyway I ran it until it was at operating temp for 10 minutes and found zero leaks. The other thing I was checking for was how hot the inside trunk wall got. After installing the insulation it no longer burns the skin but it is still warm. Probably as good or better than it was originally. Now, back to prepping the body for paint... In the pic below, I tried using some JB Weld to seal up the corners of the airbox. I am curious how well the paint will stick.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cptsnoopy

2585 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I forgot to mention that I found the oil pan to be weeping oil and it appears it was coming from the rear bolt hole that holds the Trans to oil pan brace. There is no brace installed so the bolt holes were open. I simply put a bolt with silicone on the threads into the hole and hopefully that will seal things up.

Charlie

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Charlie,

Man, I love that multi carb look! It's a shame to cover it all up with an airbox though... I couldn't bear to hide everything just for the sake of getting some cold air in the cylinders if it were mine. So I went on a surfing mission to see if there was something out there that could expose those velocity stacks and I think I stumbled on something that you need! Check these out at www.h1v8.com/albums/album_i.../4566006/1513317.htm

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Blooze,

Those look awesome! Without cutting the top of the decklid open they would not fit but I wonder if I could have a similar style clear cover made for my base plate? Hmmm I will need to look into this further. If I cut the decklid it opens up some problems with rain etc. getting into the valley of the engine. Don't know how big a deal that is but I need to consider it. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2010 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got back to sanding. My biggest worry was the forward section of the roof panel where the sun rot had crusty and cracked black paint/primer showing through the red paint. It was taking too long to cut through the old paint with 320 wet/dry so I grabbed some 220 dry and got down to the SMC in fairly short order. I am happy to report that the SMC surface appears to be undamaged and if the primer sticks it ought to look fine when painted.

Charlie

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 10-15-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Little to report. Sanding when I can. Pics below show tonight's effort. Last pic shows where I need to do another SMC repair. I suspect that this was like this from the factory as I can see some body filler in the area.

Charlie

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good there Charlie. The sheepskin seats have just got to go though! Curious, who makes the wheels you bought, and what are the dimensions and offsets?
cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Lookin' good there Charlie. The sheepskin seats have just got to go though! Curious, who makes the wheels you bought, and what are the dimensions and offsets?

Thank you Blooze,

Yep, the skins are covering some seriously sad seats... I hope to get some nice new seats once I am sure the car will be drivable. They are so easy to get to I decided to put them low on the priority list.

The Wheels are:
Front - 17X7 Borbet Type FS bright silver paint with a 38mm offset
Rear - 17X8 Borbet Type FS bright silver paint with a 35mm offset

I made a mistake on the front tires though. I should have purchased 215/50R-17's instead of the 215/45R-17's. My front wheel/tire diameter is about an inch less than I wanted. The rears seem pretty close with 245/45R-17's.

Charlie

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 11-22-2010).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow good to see your kicking butt on this, and it sure looks nice and clean! doing a great job buddy

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
NEW e-mail address robertanker@yahoo.com

MY 88 Northstar build thread

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2010 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY:

Wow good to see your kicking butt on this, and it sure looks nice and clean! doing a great job buddy

Thanks Bobby, glad to see you are checking in once in awhile! Hope the family is doing well and happy holidays to you and yours.

I am getting a little done here and there but the overall progress is still pretty snail like.

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2011 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hope to get some of Jesse's lambo hinges installed soon and I am pondering the issue of door accessory wiring. I looked for contact strips and the image below is all I could find on the subject. Does anyone know of other similar options?

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2011 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another box of goodies has arrived...

Charlie

cptsnoopy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Passenger side installed, still need to finish the wiring. Looks like it will work fine.

Thanks Jesse!

Charlie

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ooooooo.... I'm jealous! Watch out for that overhead fan!

I wonder if Lambo hinges would work on the F355 rebodies... being a bunch wider and all, or if the added thickness between the hinge mounting location and the outer skin would cause interference problems? Anybody know?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 26 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock