Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  World's slowest Fiero/Quad 4 Swap (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
World's slowest Fiero/Quad 4 Swap by Quad Raider
Started on: 07-15-2017 09:17 PM
Replies: 252 (6526 views)
Last post by: Quadfather on 09-13-2021 10:24 PM
Quadfather

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2021 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The set of bigger rings arrived in the mail and they’re so oversized they’ll have to be filed to fit in the bores. Just couldn’t talk myself into messing with them this weekend, so instead I cleaned engine parts and put my new press to work.

The Quad has a power steering pulley on the intake cam shaft. I’ve read that it’s a real bear to try to remove with a gear puller, so I tried using my DIY press and it worked great. Should’ve built this thing long ago.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 01-11-2021).]

IP: Logged
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2021 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today I learned how easy it is to grind too much material off oversized piston rings.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos about making a DIY ring grinder and came up with this rig that worked great.

Unfortunately, I took too much material off the first couple of rings and the gap is too big, so tonight I ordered yet another set.

The internet says it’s ok to have gaps that are a little too big, but these are so cheap I might as well get another set and get the gaps just right. Loads of other work to do while I’m waiting for the new set.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 01-16-2021).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got back to the shop. The deep freeze/ice/snowfalls are finally over here in Oklahoma.

The pistons in my reman engine are .5 mm oversized. I know this because each one has “.5” stamped in the face. That means I needed rings that are .020” oversized. I ordered a set of Mahle rings through Summit and they fit. Only had to file a couple out of the whole set.

I had trouble installing the pistons in the cylinders and keeping the rings compressed, but I think I got them to go ok.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 09-13-2021).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2021 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next up is cleaning up the head. As I’ve mentioned, this engine bent four intake valves when the timing chain tensioner broke. Years ago I ordered four new ones, but take a look at how they compare with the valves that came out of the head.

This head had two different shaped intake valves installed in it. One type has a dimple in the middle, the other is domed. The four new valves I bought are flat. As long as the two valves are the same in each cylinder, does it matter?

I bought the four new valves so long ago, there’s no guarantee that if I buy four more, they’ll all be flat, too.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 02-21-2021).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the head from one of my spare Quads and was surprised to see different types of intake valves. This head is also an 086 head, though the engine itself is not an HO.

The intake valves for the cylinder closest to the camera are domed, while the rest are dimpled. Probably means that this is an aftermarket head, but who knows, maybe it came from the factory that way.

This head looks like it's in very good shape. I'm thinking about using it instead of the one that was in my GTZ. The head that was in my GTZ was bought from Cylinder Head International in DFW, so it was perfect when I installed it in the Beretta in 2008. The downside is I put 100,000 miles on it and bent four intake valves when the timing tensioner broke in 2012.

This head is from a salvage yard 1989 Grand Am. The engine had a blown head gasket, but everything else looked fine. So do I reuse the head whose history I know or one that looks good but whose history is a mystery?

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 02-24-2021).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2021 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is what happens when your brother uses your hydraulic press to split firewood.

I told him it was designed so that the force is focused on a small area right in the middle of the cross piece, not a piece of wood that spreads the force in a wide area.
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2021 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent time in the shop cleaning engine parts this weekend. Took me about two hours using small brushes and brake cleaner to get the head mostly clean. Then I spent time on YouTube looking for a better way and decided to try the cheap oven cleaner route.

I heeded the warnings not to leave the cleaner on the aluminum too long, and used a pressure washer to blast it off

The head came out great, though there's still some carbon in the exhaust ports. I also cleaned the spare head just to see how it would look and it's pretty clean considering the valves and springs are still installed.

For the intake manifold and the timing cover the cleaner would need to stay on for two or three hours to get the oil and dirt off, and I just didn' have that kind of time today.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 02-28-2021).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More progress. But first, the last update about my press. I ended up drilling holes through the uprights, instead of using the holes from the Soloflex pieces. Also, parts of a broken floor jack worked great to make it possible to roll it around the shop.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 03-29-2021).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2021 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that the cleaning is finished, the process of reassembling the head has begun. As I mentioned, this head was a reman bought from Texas. I put 100,000 miles on it but it still looks pretty good.

It was also pretty flat, less than .003” out of true, if I measured correctly. Knowing how finicky the Quad 4 head/block relationship is I wanted to get it as clean and flat as possible, so I did the right thing and watched some YouTube videos on how to resurface it myself.

I bought a glass table at a garage sale Saturday for $5. The glass is a quarter inch thick, so I taped some 225 grit sand paper to it and got to work.

Turns out just two pieces of sand paper worked best. Overall I spent a total of about 5 minutes actually sanding the head. Here’s video I shot of myself.

https://youtu.be/ktTXjwIS99U

The results appear to be excellent. This first pic was about halfway through the process.

It still has some faint divots around the last combustion chamber, but overall it looks and feels smooth.

As you can see I got half the valves reinstalled. I lapped the valves using the electric drill/vacuum hose method, and leak tested those two sets by screwing in a spark plug and filling the combustion chamber with brake cleaner. No leaks that I could see.

Took me three hours just to get those eight valves installed and tested. Hopefully I can finish the rest this week. I’m also trying to resist the temptation to disassemble the rods and pistons to make sure I got the rings installed correctly.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 03-29-2021).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2021 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, another setback. Finally got back to working on the head, and noticed a crack in the number 1 combustion chamber between the intake and exhaust valves.

It actually looked worse when I first noticed it. Somehow spraying it with brake cleaner made it harder to see. Not to worry, I thought, I’ll just grab my spare 086 head. Of course, it has a similar crack, in the combustion chamber for cylinder #2.

Bummed. Cylinder Head International has Quad 4 086 heads for $225, the same price I paid for this head in 2008. Now to talk my wife into letting me buy one.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 04-10-2021).]

Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2021 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't done any work on the car because I've been distracted by other projects. Trying to rehab my old Gravely mower instead of just storing it in my garage. Also working to replace another old air compressor. It's the compressor I keep at my house.

I had another old compressor I bought at an estate sale years ago and over the weekend bought two more "used" ones, hoping to be able to make one good compressor.

Hope to get back to rebuilding the Quad 4 in a week or two.
PFF
System Bot
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2021 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I was in the shop working on various air compressor parts, the frustration really started weighing me down. I looked at the car and realized how much work I still have to do and the frustration took over.

Then, last night I dreamed I was out driving it. Somehow it had the original Iron Duke in it and I'd driven hundreds of miles from home yet that old engine was just purring. I woke up with a feeling of joy.
Quadfather

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2021 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QuadfatherClick Here to Email QuadfatherSend a Private Message to QuadfatherEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been working on other projects in the shop as well as a big one at work, so haven’t made much progress over the summer. It’s harder and harder to focus on the Fiero during the heat of the summer.

I did spend a couple of days looking for the Iron Duke engine harness. Finally found it on one of my spare parts bins right next to the car. Somehow the label had crinkled and wasn’t legible.

Finally realized that I need to mate the wires coming out of the Fiero plug to the Beretta engine harness, instead of mating the Beretta plug to the Fiero wires.

Still trying to face the music that I need to buy a new head. Maybe when the weather cools down.

[This message has been edited by Quadfather (edited 09-13-2021).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock