Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Modernized Fiero Mirrors: What types have you used? (Please post them here) (Page 7)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Modernized Fiero Mirrors: What types have you used? (Please post them here) by madcurl
Started on: 02-06-2009 01:49 PM
Replies: 254 (19586 views)
Last post by: Habanera Hal on 03-04-2019 01:55 PM
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2016 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old thread but I copied one these with the Aurora mirrors. I just have to figured out the gasket to seal the mirror to the door and wire it up so the heat works.

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 01-06-2016).]

IP: Logged
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LornesGT:
Old thread but I copied one these with the Aurora mirrors. I just have to figured out the gasket to seal the mirror to the door and wire it up so the heat works.

I also have the Aurora mirrors w/heat, I think they look good on a Fiero. I haven't solved the gasket issue yet ether, curious to see what you come up with. Did you tweak to get the mirrors angled better?
I ended up machining the mirror bases to get them to sit straight and moved them on the door down about 1/2" and foward about 4", just looks better on my car.

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You changed the angle of the base by grinding on the metal base and plastic?
My son works for a company that makes rubber bark to make fake trees and foam also for fake rocks along with other stuff. He is going to give me some rubber and I hope I can shape it for the gasket and changing the angle of the mirror to body. Madcurl's car Archie used fiberglass to change the door angle. Mine actually look pretty level already.

Post some pics I would like to see how it turn on for your car. What did you do to control the mirror heat?
Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My son works for a company that makes rubber bark to make fake trees and foam also for fake rocks along with other stuff. He is going to give me some rubber and I hope I can shape it for the gasket and changing the angle of the mirror to body. Madcurl's car Archie used fiberglass to change the door angle. Mine actually look pretty level already.
Post some pics I would like to see how it turn on for your car. What did you do to control the mirror heat?

My car is a chop-top, if the mirrors were installed at the stock location they kind of looked like a submarines periscopes sticking up and they really didn't seem to flow with body lines of the windscreen, so I moved them forward and down on the door.
Because I decided to move the mounting location further forward, I had to change the way these mirrors are normally mounted. My mirrors are installed with cap Screws from the outside of the doors and the mirrors have to be assembled on the door, its a bit of a hassle but it can be done and I don't plan on taking them off very often.

Yes, I removed the studs then cut and ground about 1/4" from the top edge of the metal base, than drilled & counter bored for (2) stainless cap screws. Once the metal base was done I then trimmed the plastic cover to match.

These pics shows one that has been trimmed next to the opposite unmodified one.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

On the outside of the door frame I welded on a steel plate with two nuts on the backside to attach the mirrors to. (Did this because the forward stud of the mirror base was so close to the to the forward edge of the door frame there was no way to get a nut on from the inside.)
Pics of the steel nut/plate as welded on the door frame (forward of the original position).
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

The new location of the mirror assemblies roughly puts the mirror glass in about the same location as the stock mirrors glass.
Pics of it fitted to the door.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Sorry don't have a good pic with the door panel complete with the mirror on it, so just a pic of the finished work of the door panel.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Wiring: I haven't installed a switch or timer yet, I'm just getting a wire harness run into the cabin area for now. I do have a Fiero Rear Window Defrost switch and plate I was planning on using to control the mirrors heating elements with though. Once I finish on the exterior and get it painted I'll be focusing more on the interior.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2016 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you.
I looked at pushing them forward but the spot weld at the top of the door I wasn't willing to mess with since I dont have anything to place another one forward of the old.

I haven't looked into the control wiring of the heater so I had no idea of how they are controlled. Timer circuit sounds like a winner.

Did Archie chop it? The latest problem with chopping is finding the windshield glass right?

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 01-07-2016).]

Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you.
I looked at pushing them forward but the spot weld at the top of the door I wasn't willing to mess with since I dont have anything to place another one forward of the old.

I haven't looked into the control wiring of the heater so I had no idea of how they are controlled. Timer circuit sounds like a winner.
Did Archie chop it? The latest problem with chopping is finding the windshield glass right?

I did a google search for the Aurora Mirror schematic for ideas. Shouldn't be to hard to find a timer/relay that should work.
TheChop: It's one of the few kits/packages that Archie put together years ago and sold. I did all the cut/measure/weld/body work.... The windshield is stock, its the door glass thats pretty much hard to come by. Ashame, everything else is relatively easy to get or modify....I got Lucky....

Orig88GT-NC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Orig88GT-NC

209 posts
Member since Oct 2010
double post deleted

[This message has been edited by Orig88GT-NC (edited 01-08-2016).]

redraif

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for redraifSend a Private Message to redraifEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speaking of.... Im stillplanning to roll with 4th gen firebird mirrors.... got them in white already...

really wanted to do rx8....

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

My FGTO.

RX-8 mirrors. Install thanks to Blacktree. Picked up a set shipped for under $100 from ebay.

Anyone use Vitaloni Turbo Racing Mirrors?

maybe when i find them in a junk yard... anyway...

Still going to try to work out a non welding corner piece... no one to weld them on... grrr...
------------------
Please forgive my typos, I'm typically posting via cell.

1984 Indy Fiero SE Pace Car Replica #770
"SE" Stormtrooper Edition
Rescued, resuscitated and reversibly modified! (I'm so not done yet!)

Poly all round & Black Drag DR-34s
Frt: 225/45 on 18x8 (47 offset w/ 8-9mm spacer) 1.5 coils cut off 1984 WS6 springs
Rear: 265/35 on 18x8.5 (45 offset) Coil-overs w/ 10 inch 300lb springs & 7 inch sleeve

Everything is the previous owners fault!

[This message has been edited by redraif (edited 01-08-2016).]

darbysan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2016 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My son works for a company that makes rubber bark to make fake trees and foam also for fake rocks along with other stuff. He is going to give me some rubber and I hope I can shape it for the gasket and changing the angle of the mirror to body.

FWIW, I did a similar mirror change on my El Camino, using the 98 olds mirrors. To get them to match the angle of the doors, I made up a spacer out of a hard plastic material using a die grinder.

I have a complete write up on the change with pictures and details available on my website here:
https://sites.google.com/si...ectgric-side-mirrors

------------------
'87 GT in process, including GA / Seville brakes, Poly Suspension, '95 3800 Series 1 SC ( 225 hp ) 4t60e.

LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought about plastic but figured paint it and forming to the door angles the rubber would be easier. If I can get finished repairing my sons car I will find out. The valve cover gasket I recieved were not the correct ones so maybe I will get time tomorrow to give it a try.
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LornesGT

1356 posts
Member since Jan 2013

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

I did a google search for the Aurora Mirror schematic for ideas. Shouldn't be to hard to find a timer/relay that should work.
TheChop: It's one of the few kits/packages that Archie put together years ago and sold. I did all the cut/measure/weld/body work.... The windshield is stock, its the door glass thats pretty much hard to come by. Ashame, everything else is relatively easy to get or modify....I got Lucky....

I actually think I will never drive mine when it snows or an ice storm so it is not a priority but how much time are they allowed to be on? I guess I could just time my Avalanche but I always thought it was based on temp.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2016 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Orig88GT-NC:

If you have a rear window defogger, I wired my mirror heaters in parallel with that so they are controlled that way. If you don't have the rear window defogger you can use the timer circuit from another car. The Firebird one is on the back of the HVAC controls and easy to adapt. If you are interested I can show you exactly how that would work.
JDWheat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2016 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JDWheatSend a Private Message to JDWheatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did anyone ever use the RX-8 mirrors with the turn signals in them? If so could you post a picture?
LornesGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2017 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oops

[This message has been edited by LornesGT (edited 12-01-2017).]

Habanera Hal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2019 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm looking for ideas for replacement mirrors for my Formula. I like the Aurora mirrors but I think they might be too rounded to flow with a notchback. Any new ideas with pics?

FWIW, many, many years ago, on my 86 GT, I simply moved the factory mirrors forward on the door (rear stud was now located in front mounting hole) and filled the mirror-to-A pillar gap with a Corvette wind deflector piece. Sorry, no pics from the way-back machine.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock