Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  11.25" LeBaron/Cadillac brake conversion brackets (Page 2)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 
Previous Page | Next Page
11.25" LeBaron/Cadillac brake conversion brackets by GS Jon
Started on: 04-30-2009 10:54 PM
Replies: 299
Last post by: scott0999 on 07-26-2011 01:44 PM
GS Jon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Mac,

My writeup will clarify all these questions and will give step-by-step directions on how to install the upgrade. I ran into another snag last night while bleeding the rear brakes, so I wasn't able to start working on the front brakes like I had planned. Until I get that done, I can't put pencil to paper (or is that crayola to sketchpad? lol) for that portion of the writeup. The Master Cylinder and Rear Brake parts are completed, however. I estimate that my writeup (and subsequently my brake conversion) will be complete this weekend.

To directly answer your question, I used the front and rear calipers of a 1985 Cadillac Seville (NASTRA 7413839,
NASTRA 7412829), and 4 rear rotors from a 1994 Chrysler LeBaron GTC (BENDIX 141533). The rotors do not require any machining as the pilot hole and bolt patterns are a direct match to the '84-87 Fiero. Since the Fiero's front rotor integrates the hub and wheelstuds, you have to remove the rotor's braking surface from the hat. You can pay a machine shop to do this, but I'm going to try cutting it off with my trusty angle grinder, I expect positive results. You'll also need 610-323 wheel studs pressed into the Fiero's old rotor hat to compensate for the additional 8mm of thickness the LeBaron rotor adds when you slide it over the front hub.

The swap is doable by anyone with some common sense and a touch of mechanical inclination, and it would be a day's work if someone puts out a how-to that doesn't conveniently skimp on the critical info.

EDIT: And it looks like I own page two. Go me.

[This message has been edited by GS Jon (edited 06-02-2009).]

IP: Logged
couldahadaV8

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for couldahadaV8Click Here to visit couldahadaV8's HomePageSend a Private Message to couldahadaV8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GS Jon:
You can pay a machine shop to do this, but I'm going to try cutting it off with my trusty angle grinder, I expect positive results.

Geez! Make sure you take some pictures of this operation! No reason it shouldn't work, might take a while though.

Rick
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Worst case scenario: I buy new rotors and try another method using a pipe (snap) cutter. If that fails: machine shop time. Yes, I know that this may wind up costing a LOT more time and money, but if I find a method that can save some people money and provide a suitable result, I'll find it.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTDirect Link to This Post
thanks jon , just wanted to know what was what. I appreciate the info and the work being done for that write up. The removing the studs i would need to see reading about what your doing I'm just having trouble visualizing. Are you using the old rotor hat as hub plate with the studs then putting the new rotor onto that?

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 06-02-2009).]

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Mac, you hit the nail right on the head. Pics would definitely assist others in visualizing that, and I promise to deliver.
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Mac,

The rotors do not require any machining as the pilot hole and bolt patterns are a direct match to the '84-87 Fiero.

Not true, you need to very slightly increase the diameter of the hole in the rear rotor for it to set flush against the hub face. A dremel with a sanding drum wheel and a couple of minutes work will do the job. The front do not need any work.

Here is crosslist of rotors that can be used.

RAYBESTOS 7993
ACDELCO DEALER 18027885
ACDELCO DISTRIBUTION 18A285
AIMCO 5354
AUTOSPECIALTY AR8330
BENDIX USA 141533
BRAKE HEADQUARTERS BR53600
CALIFORNIA DRUM & ROTOR 61950
CASTING NUMBERS 210420-C
CENTURY 7043
CHRYSLER 4383487
EIS D17491
IPI 219
MIDAS INTERNATIONAL BR1606
NAPA UNITED 85993
ROCKHILL 5334
WAGNER BD61950

For a copy of Walt Zettner original write-up I have posted it in Tech: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/101011.html#p0

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 06-02-2009).]

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Earl-R

1285 posts
Member since Mar 2005
When I had my front rotors "aparted off" from the hub I think it cost me like $10 a piece. If you don't have the tools to do it, take it to a machine shop and they will do a first rate job for you.

Earl

------------------
87 Fiero GT
Yellow / Grey Interior
T-Top, 11.26" Cross Drilled brakes, Lowered 2"
Whaletail, Mecham Scoops, ZR2 Scoop
HHP Custom Sway Bars
T/A Fender Vents, Mr. Mikes, Much Much More

2007 Dodge Charger R/T
Hemi powered 5 spd

2008 Dodge 2500HD
6.7 CTD 6 spd

Formerly FieroGT87
Member since 2001

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl-R:

Not true, you need to very slightly increase the diameter of the hole in the rear rotor for it to set flush against the hub face. A dremel with a sanding drum wheel and a couple of minutes work will do the job. The front do not need any work.

Thank you for that information, but that would fit the definition of "fitting parts" not machining them. Stating that my comment isn't true would make it seem I was attempting to mislead others. I can assure you nothing could be further from the truth.

Once again, thanks for your input.
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Thank you for that information, but that would fit the definition of "fitting parts" not machining them. Stating that my comment isn't true would make it seem I was attempting to mislead others. I can assure you nothing could be further from the truth.

Once again, thanks for your input.

Sorry if it came accross like that, I wasn't trying to say or imply that anyone was misleading anyone else. When doing something for the first time it can be trial and error so any info can be useful for those wanting to do this upgrade.

I posted the link also to help answer any questions that some might have because a lot of money can be spent on this upgrade, but it is well worth it.

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2009 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
I read through the link, thanks for sharing it. It confirms to me that I don't have much left to complete this conversion, and is a good reference for anyone doing the swap. Thanks for your assistance!
sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2009 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post
do you still have any for sale or would u be able to do aother production run?
PFF
System Bot
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2009 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird:

OK. Not only did we sell out, I accidentally sold too many brackets...

So tomorrow we will be ordering the stock to make more.

RideZiLightning, still haven't received payment for the rear brackets, you still want them or should I add them into the next run to make another complete set?

Everyone here will be getting theirs in a few days if you already paid, and will post again when the next batch are completed.

Right now there are 2 sets spoken for (if the rears don't sell I will be able to make 5 complete sets with a bar of raw stock)...

Black4.9
Rhino2104 (from another site)
Fierofreak00

Please add your name to the list if you are interested

Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2009 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
Right now there are 3 sets spoken for and am hoping to get 5 complete sets if there are no blemished parts lol.

Buyers:
Black4.9
Fierofreak00

Potential:

55trucker (from another site)
sergioazevedo

sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2009 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Forced_Firebird:

Right now there are 3 sets spoken for and am hoping to get 5 complete sets if there are no blemished parts lol.

Buyers:
Black4.9
Fierofreak00

Potential:

55trucker (from another site)
sergioazevedo

how much? for this run. pm me
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2009 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sergioazevedo:

how much? for this run. pm me

Same price for everybody so far. $130 shipped to the US, $145 shipped to CAN. Insured USPS. Use flat rate shipping to keep things simple

If there is as much tool breakage on the this batch, price will increase slightly per order. In the meantime, I will eat the cost of excess tooling, steel is a tough material and eats tools much faster than our common aluminum parts.

Somehow the order got mixed up and it's too narrow to machine the parts, so tomorrow we will do the exchange and hopefully we will be sawing by tomorrow afternoon, otherwise it won't be until Monday we see progress on this batch.

sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2009 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post
yup i am in i want a set.
sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post
any updates on if their all sold and when they are ready for shipment
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2009 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
The wrong material was delivered Thursday, so I called Friday and had the correct material delivered yesterday then sawed it up to size. Today got the machine set up and ready to cut (last job didn't require a vice), so had to get it all indicated back in to .0005" or less when the vice was reinstalled. Need to pick up more end mills Thursday, they should be ready for shipping beginning of next week at the latest.

5 sets are getting made this time since there was an extra pair of rear adapters from the last run providing there are no mistakes.

I got your email sergioazevedo, but until I set up cubecart, it's easier for me to keep all the info here until the parts are ready for shipping. To keep costs down, we work on this kind of stuff between big jobs and after hours, sometimes you have to be patient with us, but you will not be disappointed with the product

-John

[This message has been edited by Forced_Firebird (edited 06-09-2009).]

mid engine monsters

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2009 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
i want the rears if they are extra
mid engine monsters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2009 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2009 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Have you emailed John?

He's a busy guy, so he can't check every forum every day. If you're in a hurry, it would be to your benefit if you took the time to contact him.
PFF
System Bot
mid engine monsters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
wheres the write up? i fell asleep waiting...just messing with you a little cause im waiting to do this and move on to the next project....hook us up
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2009 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Well, I can speed through the conversion, doing myself a disservice. Then I can quickly throw together my writeup, and it would likely be about as helpful as all the other threads you've seen on this subject. However, I don't think that you want that, and neither do I.

Good things come to those who wait. I have other priorities that I have to take care of to clear my garage and schedule for the last half of my conversion project. I just got done cleaning up my garage and putting away the tools that were scattered to the four winds when my buddies came out to help me get my donor 3800 on a stand. I need a certain level of cleanliness and organization for me to complete car work, and I didn't have it over these last few weeks.

I promise that I'll complete the writeup, but I can't guarantee when it will be. Shouldn't be much longer. Have patience, as the mistakes that I'm having to correct won't be a concern for you, not to mention you won't have to burn through as much cash as I did getting things right. I'd think that would be enough of a benefit to warrant waiting a while longer.

In other words: Be chill man...

- Jon
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2009 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post

Right now there are 4 sets spoken for and am hoping to get 5 complete sets if there are no blemished parts lol.

Buyers:
Black4.9
Fierofreak00
sergioazevedo

55Trucker backed out of this run, so there is still one set up for grabs.

Mid Engine Monsters, if no one takes the last set by the time they are finished, I will sell you just the rears and hope someone buys the fronts...

They are all sawn and ready to cut, but had an emergency that I had to take care of this weekend and haven't been to the shop. Still on schedule for the beginning/mid week to start shipping though.

Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2009 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
Slight delay

c: crashed on the laptop I use to talk to the machines and the brackets weren't saved to CD yet. Spent the last 2 days reinstalling all the software and will finish up re-writing the g-code tonight and will be cutting them tomorrow evening.
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
As of now, all 5 sets are called for if this buyer (Dwayne) comes through.

I expect them to be completed tomorrow and they will be shipped either Saturday or Monday. So if your name is on the list and you still want them, between now and Saturday go ahead and send $130 shipped to the US and $145 shipped to Canada. Paypal address is: sales at 60inclusive dot com.

If there are some people who are still wanting them (besides the list) go ahead and post. When we get at least 4 more names we will gladly cut more.

Thanks,

John

[This message has been edited by Forced_Firebird (edited 06-18-2009).]

sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post
figured it out pm me if u need more info. plz send asap
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post

figured it out pm me if u need more info. plz send asap

I am sorry I had to deny payment because it was in Canadian funds. There is an option in Paypal for you to send it in USD. Sorry for the inconvenience, but $145 CAD is a lot less than $145 USD.
black4.9

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for black4.9Send a Private Message to black4.9Direct Link to This Post
Payment sent!
sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post
sorry my bad lol payment resent
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2009 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
Just taking a break from cutting these

Received payments from Sergio, Black 4.9 and Rhino. Thanks guys.

Still on time to be shipping Monday for sure, possibly tomorrow!

Sorry about the delay, spent several hours reloading all the CAD and CAM programs onto my laptop, the re-writing all the machine codes, but from now on I will be uploading my machine codes to my site as well as backing them up to CD so this doesn't happen again. This wans't even the worst part, I lost the machine code for the brackets that allow people to mount a Powerdyne S/C on a 3800 in f-bodies Those are $450 each and took several hours to design, test fit and make a jig for...

Thank you for the patience,

-John

[This message has been edited by Forced_Firebird (edited 06-19-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2009 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
midengine, I do have an extra set of rears so far. As long as I don't have any more blems, there are still 5 complete sets and one set of rears left in this run.

I am working on these right now (yes I have 4 kids and am working on father's day ) to make sure they get out tomorrow night.

Fierofreak, need your payment or there will be 2 complete sets plus the extra rear pair left. It cost me a couple hundred for the material and about $100 for the tooling to make 5 of them, then the machine time, so again we are not making a killing here and am doing this more for the community. We only made more because there was interest, but if these sit on the shelf for as long as the last batch, we will be less inclined to make more in the future.

Thank you guys for keeping me busy in my spare time though

-John

[This message has been edited by Forced_Firebird (edited 06-21-2009).]

Fierofreak00

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 170
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2009 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierofreak00Send a Private Message to Fierofreak00Direct Link to This Post
Payment sent earlier. I was sleeping at the wheel....I had no intentions on leaving you hanging . Thanks for getting this done. -Jason

[This message has been edited by Fierofreak00 (edited 06-22-2009).]

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2009 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
edit: hold that thought.

[This message has been edited by kwagner (edited 06-23-2009).]

Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
Still have one complete set from this batch here, and a set of rear adapters if anyone is game. Won't make another batch until we have at least 3 buyers...
sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2009 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post
have u mailed out the orders yet?
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post

have u mailed out the orders yet?

Sure have. You didn't receive an email from USPS with a tracking number?
sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2009 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post
no i havent yet. checked both my emails and nothing do u hae a tracking number?
thanx

[This message has been edited by sergioazevedo (edited 06-25-2009).]

mid engine monsters

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mid engine monstersSend a Private Message to mid engine monstersDirect Link to This Post
i would like to have the rears if they work,and i think i have been patient for the write up,its been almost 2 months since this thread started and you probably have been working on it longer than this thread and i understand everyone has got a life and stuff to do..me too ,i really understand ,i bought in trusting this would be soon or already accomplished,the front brackets i bought look very good and im not bashing you ,just looking forward to it ,i feel it shouldnt take this long if there is not a problem...please hook us up as promised
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2009 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
Segio, I sane a PM with the tracking number for you. I don't know how accurate they are for international, and not sure why you didn't receive an email, but sent it anyways

MidEngine, I apologize, but I only make the parts. I talked to GS Jon and he has some personal issues to take care of before finishing the project, but these are the same brackets that people have been using for quite some time here. You should see the rate my twin turbo build ios going lol. been under the knife for 2 years already
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 8 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock