Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Selling Pontiac CD Players w/EQ + wiring adaptors (Page 5)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Selling Pontiac CD Players w/EQ + wiring adaptors by kru
Started on: 10-30-2002 11:03 PM
Replies: 521
Last post by: longjonsilver on 04-22-2008 09:17 AM
jimmybpei

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2003 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
what is the differences in the cd players
monsoon ... ect

Thanks
JimmyB

------------------

IP: Logged
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2003 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
The non-EQ model just has bass and treble sliders for fine-tuning of the sound.

Both the regular UP3 and the Monsoon version have 7 band graphic equalizers. They look virtually identical. The only visible differences are the Pontiac logo, which is in white and the Monsoon logo, also in white, next to it. As for performance, I've never seen any actual specs anywhere, but I've been told they are identical. My inspections/testing of the units seem to bear this out. The Monsoon was originally available with an 8 speaker system and a separate amp, but those components are not required for the head unit to work with your existing sound system.

All three of these radios have the Pontiac trademark amber (red) display. They all look stock in your Fiero. If you just want a good CD player, go with the non-EQ model. If you like to fine-tune your sound, go for the regular UP3. If you like to be a little different and make people jealous, the Monsoon is for you.

Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by kru (edited 11-08-2003).]

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2003 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
does the monsoon have pre out on it for amps(as you noted the org. system had an amp)

Wanting to put factory cd in my car with 1 4 channel amp 2 10" subs 2 6" mid bass and 2 tweeters.

Wanting to hook the factory cd to all of this. I hate the way after market cd players stick. makes a mess of the interior.
Thanks

------------------

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2003 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
I have heard that the monsoon will fully control a factory cd changer and the other unit will not. To use these units with aftermarket amps, you will need a pre amp converter. You can get the info on what you need from these guys. I have used their stuff and it is very good.
http://www.pie.net/index.htm
ken
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2003 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure you've gathered this from partfiero's reply but, no, the Monsoon radios don't have pre-outs. Sounds like he's got a viable alternative for you though.

I agree with you on the aftermarket stereos. They just don't look right in the dash. Maybe that's why my kits have been so popular.

[This message has been edited by kru (edited 01-25-2003).]

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2003 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
ok so what is the best cd player. keep in mind i dont need the power of the deck itself but would like the eq. since i am not useing a crossover(don't think anyway) just the passive one for the midbase and the tweets.

Also thats a lot of money when you convert to canadain dollars, like almots $300 with shipping exchange duty GST ect.

Best price possible for what i'm looking for please

Thanks
Jimmy B
Jimmybpei@hotmail.com

------------------

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2003 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
That's a nice looking car.

The price is $10 higher for shipping to Canada.

eunospeed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2003 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedDirect Link to This Post
Kru,

I sent you an email concerning purchasing one of your units. Let me know how much to ship to Lex, KY for the basic version?

John

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2003 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
would this price include shipping. As well if you just send it in a box as a gift i wont have to pay duty, brokrage fees, gst ect.

If you are running it as a business then i would have to pay all the above.

Later

------------------

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2003 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
That price does include shipping, yes.

I have tried the 'gift' route once before on a package to Canada and ran into problems with Customs, so I don't think I can help you out there.

How do they figure how much you have to pay? Is it based on the $ amount I put on the form for the value? If so, is it a % or are there ranges?

mgbringo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2003 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mgbringoSend a Private Message to mgbringoDirect Link to This Post
I received my Monsoon unit today and just finished installing it. Ordered it late last Thursday and received it today. Very fast.

Very easy to install with Kevin's instructions.

Incredible sound, even with my original speakers. It looks very good in the dash.

Only one problem, now I just got to buy some new speakers to make it even better.

Thanks Kevin for a good deal and for getting it shippped to me so quickly.

Just added: Just came back from a long test drive. That Monsoon unit is incredible IMO. It does not skip, and makes those stock speakers sound like I never thought they could. Can't wait to buy new speakers now.

Ron

------------------
1986 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by mgbringo (edited 01-28-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2003 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Back to the top...
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2003 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Has anyone done a back to back comparison of the Monsoon vs. non-Monsoon UP3? If we're not using the outboard amp that comes with the Monsoon system, I'm wondering if it has more or less power than the regular UP3. Since it doesn't use pre-amp out, I'd almost suspect it's the same unit, and only says Monsoon on the bezel (the difference being the extra amp and speakers, not the head unit itself).

Ideas?

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2003 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Bueller? [free bump]
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2003 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I've never done any kind of comparison. I don't know any of the specs on the regular UP3 or the Monsoon version either. They do appear to be the same visibly (with the exception of the logo), but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

If someone can point me to a comparison of the two, I'd certainly appreciate it. For that matter, if someone could even point me to specs for the regular UP3, I'd appreciate it. I've had numerous questions about power output and I haven't been able to answer them.

I'd also like to know if anyone has experimented at all with adding the steering wheel and steering wheel radio controls from a 1990's Pontiac. I sure think that would be a slick set-up in a Fiero.

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2003 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
My main concern over the Monsoon is if it has less power than the UP3 because it uses an outboard amp. Assuming they're physically identical internally, I'd still rather have a Monsoon. If you get any more Monsoon's, let me know. I've got a tax return coming.
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2003 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I can tell you that it definitely doesn't have any less power. I have had them both hooked up and listened to them. I don't have any equipment to take actual measurements, but it was easily as good as the regular UP3.

In addition, you've got other members, like mgbringo, installing it and saying it sounds great. To quote him from above: "That Monsoon unit is incredible IMO. It does not skip, and makes those stock speakers sound like I never thought they could. Can't wait to buy new speakers now."

Enough said...

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2003 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Kru,

Regarding the Monsoon vs. the standard UP3, if you feel adventurous you can pull the top and bottom covers off of the radios, and compare.
The big aluminum side panels, with the fins, are the heat sinks for the audio amplifiers.
On the back side of the heat sinks (inside the radio) are the power amplifiers. They might be transistors or ICs. They will be dark gray plastic, and will be attached to the heat sink with screws. The pins will probably be soldered into a circuit board.
You may be able to see the part numbers on the chips. If they are the same part numbers, the power output should be the same.

This is easier said than done, though.

There might even be a part number on the entire amplifier assembly. I've got some diagrams somewhere. I'll see if I can come up with part numbers for you.

Someone asked about power output of the UP3.
FWIW, the Pioneer DEH-P77DH that I have is rated at 180 watts, total. (45 watts/speaker.)
I would say the UP3 is comparable. My UP3 actually sounds better than my Pioneer, through the same identical types of speakers. (TSA-4103s in the front, factory 4x6s in the back.)

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. A work in progress.

Out of my mind. Back in 30 minutes.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-03-2003).]

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2003 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kru:
Enough said...

You are correct. Email sent.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2003 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I still have several of these packages left, so I'm bumping her back to the top.
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2003 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Okay....so you do have the UP3 in stock?
And it's $155 shipped....correct?

If so, I'd like one.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 02-06-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2003 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageDirect Link to This Post
GTDude - Yes and yes.

I accept Paypal as radios@replacementradios.com or money orders at:

Kevin Kruger
202 Santa Barbara Drive
Effingham, IL 62401

Thanks.

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2003 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Okay........money send paypal dude
thanks.........will you get it out tomorrow?

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2003 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageDirect Link to This Post
Got it. Yes, it should go out tomorrow. I ship every Tuesday and Friday. Thanks. -Kevin
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2003 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2003 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Well, I'm gearing up for Spring. I just made a HUGE purchase of radios in anticipation of people wanting to start working on their cars again soon. That means I am in DEEP. If you've been thinking about getting one of these packages, now is the time. You'll be helping me out and improving your Fiero at the same time. Thanks.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2003 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I mentioned this once before, but if you get any more Monsoon UP3's, let me know. I've got the money set aside and ready to go.
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2003 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Formula88 - I haven't forgotten you. I'll let you know what I've got after I get them bench-tested. -Kevin
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2003 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I should also mention that I am open to interesting trades and partial trades. Fiero related or not. Let's try to keep it within reason though. No intake manifolds from a 69 Dodge Dart or anything like that.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2003 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
I got my radio, it looks great in the car, just like it belongs. Took me less than ten minutes to do the exchange too. The sound is a huge improvement from the stock radio.
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2003 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Doesn't surprise me. This swap is EASY!
PFF
System Bot
Red86SEautox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2003 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Red86SEautoxClick Here to visit Red86SEautox's HomePageSend a Private Message to Red86SEautoxDirect Link to This Post
Kevin, you have PM.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
IcantDo55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IcantDo55Click Here to visit IcantDo55's HomePageSend a Private Message to IcantDo55Direct Link to This Post
What size speakers fit in the 85 fiero gt's.
rodmcneill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2003 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rodmcneillSend a Private Message to rodmcneillDirect Link to This Post
Hey kru,one other benefit of these CD-radios is that you don't loose your station presets when you disconnect the battery. I had my battery disconnected for 2 weeks and the presets were still there. The old radio-cassette units would loose presets as soon as you would disconnect the battery.
IcantDo55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2003 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IcantDo55Click Here to visit IcantDo55's HomePageSend a Private Message to IcantDo55Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IcantDo55:

What size speakers fit in the 85 fiero gt's.

Stock speaker size??????

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2003 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IcantDo55:

Stock speaker size??????

4x10 in the dash. Not sure about the seats. Maybe 3.5"

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. In progress.

Out of my mind. Back in 30 minutes.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2003 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
bumpola
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2003 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Got my Monsoon and installed it. Sounds GREAT!! The Monsoon may have an external amp in the OEM setup, but it's definitely got power built in. Sounds great. Looks great.

Bump from another satisfied customer!

IcantDo55

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2003 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcantDo55Click Here to visit IcantDo55's HomePageSend a Private Message to IcantDo55Direct Link to This Post
Kru, You have mail....
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock