Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Selling Pontiac CD Players w/EQ + wiring adaptors (Page 10)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Selling Pontiac CD Players w/EQ + wiring adaptors by kru
Started on: 10-30-2002 11:03 PM
Replies: 521
Last post by: longjonsilver on 04-22-2008 09:17 AM
kru

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good. I'll still have them...
IP: Logged
Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
How do I tell if a changer would work with my UP3 Cassette? It's out of a 95 Bonneville SSEi...BTW, the only reason I didn't buy one fron you is because I got this one for 15 bucks (!) from a buddy who just bought the Ei. Thanks in advance!

PS: How much would a changer be, with the cable thing?

------------------

86 GT -- All Options except Performance Sound

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
First you have to make sure yours has the 9-pin auxilliary plug on the back. From there it's a matter of age. Some of the newer CD changers won't work with the older head units like that. I don't know when the cut-off is or what the compatible model numbers are. I've just seen it in my own testing with the older units. About the only thing to do is trial and error. Try to find a changer dated as close to the head unit as possible. If you get one for $100 or less you should be able to get most of your money back out of it if it does not work for you. I only have one changer at the moment and I need it for testing purposes so it is not for sale. -Kevin
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2003 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Still have a few for those of you that haven't already purchased one. (I think there might be 1 or 2 of you... )
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2003 05:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
ok, i give! i'll try not to let it cook out here... thanks

------------------
cptsnoopy
:-)

Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2003 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
well, since i didn't get an answer from my email. i will post the question here. on your website you sell two different UP3, one has the monsoon and the other doesn't. what is the difference between the two?

toms...

------------------

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2003 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

well, since i didn't get an answer from my email. i will post the question here. on your website you sell two different UP3, one has the monsoon and the other doesn't. what is the difference between the two?

toms...

The Monsoon is the high end UP3, has better sound quality. If he'd been offering 'em from the start I'd have gotten one of those instead of the regular UP3, its definately worth the extra $20, not because the UP3 is bad, I like my UP3 much better than the Poineer that was in the car when I bought it, but the Monsoon really is awesome.

On a side note, does anybody know what exactly I need to hook up an amp to a UP3 radio? I've tried stumbling my way around http://www.pie.net/index.htm , but I don't have a clue what I'm looking for, which makes it kinda difficult. Anybody got a link to the exact product page, either on that site or from another vender?

Thanks,
Nick

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2003 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Actually Tom, I did answer your email. Not sure why you didn't get it. This question is answered several times in this thread, but I'm guessing there's not too many people reading all 10 pages of this.

Anyway, to paraphrase my email, the Monsoon head unit was part of a sound system that consisted of a separate amp/crossover and 8-10 speakers. Contrary to popular belief, the Monsoon head unit and regular UP3 are identical, with the exception of the face plate that goes over the display. It has the Monsoon logo on it. The Monsoon sells for more on eBay, however, so the higher price reflects the demand. Some people don't realize they're the same and pay more for 'better' quality, but others just like the unique touch it gives their car and are willing to pay a little extra for it.

Hope that helps.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Kevin,

Just as a matter of curiosity...
Do these radios have the same amplifier section that the Fiero UX1 "keypad" cassette players have?

Also, do you have a source for service manuals/schematics? I like to have manuals for every piece of electronics that I own, if possible. (Yes, I'm still planning to buy one. )

Thanks!

Steve

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2003 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Raydar - I don't believe these share any common components with those cassette players. As for the schematics, no I don't have anything like that. Someone told me that you can get some stuff like that for free from Delco. You might try their website.
chameleogaz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2003 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chameleogazSend a Private Message to chameleogazDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:

The Monsoon is the high end UP3, has better sound quality. If he'd been offering 'em from the start I'd have gotten one of those instead of the regular UP3, its definately worth the extra $20, not because the UP3 is bad, I like my UP3 much better than the Poineer that was in the car when I bought it, but the Monsoon really is awesome.

I'm currious, what really is different about the monsoon units? Higher output wattage? Better quality amp/preamp components?

Also, does anyone know the output specs of the monsoon unit?

Thanks

-Jeff

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2003 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kru:

As for the schematics, no I don't have anything like that. Someone told me that you can get some stuff like that for free from Delco. You might try their website.

Okay, thanks.
I used to have a phone number that you could call to get schematics, although the person answering the phone was so inept that getting what you asked for was very much "hit or miss". (They couldn't "find" service literature, based on the part # of the radio, even though the same part number is printed on the top of the diagrams." )
In any event, I lost the number the last time I defragged my office.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 09-28-2003).]

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2003 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
chameleogaz - Had nearly the exact same question about 4 posts earlier. Here was my reply:

"...the Monsoon head unit was part of a sound system that consisted of a separate amp/crossover and 8-10 speakers. Contrary to popular belief, the Monsoon head unit and regular UP3 are identical, with the exception of the face plate that goes over the display. It has the Monsoon logo on it. The Monsoon sells for more on eBay, however, so the higher price reflects the demand. Some people don't realize they're the same and pay more for 'better' quality, but others just like the unique touch it gives their car and are willing to pay a little extra for it..."

In answer to your wattage question, I don't know the wattage. However, you're not going to find a stock looking unit anywhere that performs better than these. They sound great. Just ask a few of the 100 or so people who have purchased this kit from me. If you're going for pure unadulterated wattage, you need to look at aftermarket. Personally, I don't care for aftermarket because they don't look like they belong in the car. I guess you just need to decide which one you want. Great stock looks and very good performance or great performance and a non-stock look.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

...If you're going for pure unadulterated wattage, you need to look at aftermarket...

Not necessarily.
Not a flame. Please read on.

I may have mentioned this earlier, but it's worth mentioning again.
I've got a Pioneer DEHP77 (GM size) head unit in the coupe, and the older version (still UP3) of what kru is selling, in the Formula. Both have stock speakers in the back and Pioneer TSA4103s in the front.
I like the UP3 better.
The Pioneer certainly doesn't seem to be any more powerful, doesn't sound as good, and is a royal pain to operate, with all the tiny buttons and multi-level menus.
In the not too distant future, the Pioneer is going to be replaced by one of these units.

The only reason I can think of to buy aftermarket instead of this one is if you need all the external connections and "toys" that come with aftermarket headunits. (FWIW, The Pioneer is going into my truck, where there's room for amps and x-overs and subs.)

Just my $.02.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-02-2003).]

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
True enough. It's usually the 'extras' that make an aftermarket stereo system sound better. The head unit is just a necessary starting place because of the pre-outs and extra power capability. I just didn't do a very good job of saying what I meant.
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
The Audiovox CD/Cassette combos are gone but I still have PLENTY of the Pontiac CD with EQ packages. Price is still just $155 for the CD player, wiring adapter, antenna adapter, installation instructions and shipping. (To the continental US via Fedex Ground. Add $5 for USPS delivery.)

Drop me a line at madproducts@hotmail.com if you're interested or order direct from my temporary website:

http:/users.consolidated.net/kkruger.retroradio.htm

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Don't tell me I've saturated the market. I guess I shouldn't have bought 30 more of these....

No problem. Off to eBay they go...

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Don't tell me I've saturated the market. I guess I shouldn't have bought 30 more of these....

Don't give up on us!
I'm still waiting for some funds to become available. Gotta finish paying for the vacation trip out west. (Almost wore the magnetic strip off the credit card. )

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. 17s, cut springs 'n all.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
By the way, its easy to hook up an amp and a sub to these, even though they don't have preouts, you just gotta pick up a converter, I got mine from circuit city for $19.99, splice into the rear speaker wires on the input side of the converter and the RCA cables come out on the output side and you just plug those into your amp. Hooking up my amp and sub was a breeze Thanks again for the great radio Kru!

Nick

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2003 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Yep. It's been referenced in this post a couple times (if you feel like sifting through 10 pages) that www.pie.net also carries pre-amp converters, as they are called. Not sure what their price is. I think $19.99 from Circuit City sounds pretty darn good though.

Good info. Thanks naskie18.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2003 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Kevin,

Just "found" some funds.

I want a Monsoon package. Still have one available?
If so, please put one aside for me and let me know.
Waiting to hear from you before I place the order.

You can just post here, PM or email. I check all three places.

Thanks!

Steve

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-17-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2003 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
^^^
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Yes. I've got one with your name on it. $175. madproducts@hotmail.com is the Paypal account. Thanks.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2003 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Done!

Thanks.

Darren's 87 coupe

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2003 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren's 87 coupeSend a Private Message to Darren's 87 coupeDirect Link to This Post
hey kru,
I have been wanting this forever, but hey i'm as poor as the next Fiero driver. I did find out that my dad is getting a new system for his Pontiac Montana minivan. He's getting Satilite radio, so I might get his CD player. I'm not sure what year it is, but it might be as new as a 2002. I think it's a 2001 though. Can you deactivate the theft loc on one that new? If so can I send you the unit and you deactivate it and send an adapter package when you return it? What would the cost be for that?

Thanks
Darren

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
You won't be able to use his radio in your Fiero unless it's from a 97-99 Montana. They changed to the new computer-integrated radio in 2000. The wiring is different, the brackets are different and the radio is too tall, but the kicker is; it requires the computer interface to work.

I guess you'll have to keep saving...

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
To monsoon or not to monsoon, that is my dilemma.

toms...

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Just got mine today.

Thanks, Kevin!

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Tom Slick - Maybe I can help make your decision. I think my last Monsoon unit (at least for the time-being) is spoken for.

Since there is no difference between the Monsoon and the regular UP3 anyway (except for the logo on the removeable display cover), you'd be spending extra money on mere cosmetics.

Part of me can understand why some people like the extra little something that the Monsoon logo gives your interior, but the other part of me thinks the regular UP3 is quite an upgrade in and of itself, so why pay extra for a little white logo...

Tom Slick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
thank kru.

just as soon as i come into to extra cash i'll get one of those cd player. hopefully by the end of the week. make sure you have one extra available.

toms...

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. Let me count them and see if I'll have enough to make it through the week.

Yep that ought to be enough....

PFF
System Bot
silver86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver86seSend a Private Message to silver86seDirect Link to This Post
hi i read this once in a while and definately want one just saving for it ..cool product... ...
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
All the Monsoon units are currently spoken for but I still have plenty of the regular UP3 (CD w/EQ) set-ups left.

silver86se - I'll be selling these for a while, so whenever you're ready...

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Bump for Kevin.

Installed my Monsoon a few days ago. Took me all of a half hour (only because I was working outside in the driveway, using a drop light. )

Looks like it belongs in the car.
Sound quality kicks ass!

------------------
Raydar

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Raydar.

To everyone else who has been thinking about this swap, I still have several of these kits left.

Oh yeah. One more thing. Coming soon to a computer near you....
www.replacementradios.com

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post

kru

611 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I guess when I said soon I meant in a couple of hours...

Check out my new (old) website at my new address:

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I have a question for anyone who cares to answer...

I have done a bit of reading about the CD changer interface adapter, linked earlier in this thread.
It states that the 9 pin connectors on the CD head units are only designed to control remote cassette players. It doesn't say that they absolutely won't control an external changer. (Yes. Semantics. But what the hey... )

The question:
Has anyone successfully used the UP3 CD head unit to control an external changer? Did all of the functions work?
Did any of the functions work?

The interface adapters are $89. I really don't want to spring for one if it won't work (even though they said it was returnable if it didn't).

Thanks for any info.

------------------
Raydar

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I have an external changer in my testing room here. I have been unable to get it to work with the UP3 units and I have tried several different years and model numbers.

I have been able to get some of the newer Chevy CD radios to work with it, so it might be that I just don't have a new enough UP3 head unit to try. (I think I've only tried it with 99 and older units.) Next time I get a 2000 or 2001 UP3 I'll see if it works with this changer.

Of course, this changer is dated 2000, so that could have something to do with it as well. Maybe if I had an older changer, the older head units would control it. Wish I could be of more help.

Maybe someone else knows something I don't. I sure don't claim to be an expert on changers. I haven't started dabbling in those yet...

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

I have been able to get some of the newer Chevy CD radios to work with it, so it might be that I just don't have a new enough UP3 head unit to try. (I think I've only tried it with 99 and older units.) Next time I get a 2000 or 2001 UP3 I'll see if it works with this changer.

Of course, this changer is dated 2000, so that could have something to do with it as well. Maybe if I had an older changer, the older head units would control it. Wish I could be of more help.

Okay. That kind of follows what I've been led to believe, elsewhere.
I have the same Chevy unit in my '01 Sonoma that you are selling. Seems like I've read that they will control a changer.

FWIW, my changer is a Kenwood KDC-C515. I think it was made in '99 or '00.
I had another old Kenwood changer that was made in like 94 or 95. Played it until it died of old age.
It's controller would still run the 515. All I did was swap out the changer itself.

I said all that to say that I don't think the protocols changed too terribly much, over the years.

Thanks for your input!

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
As I mentioned previously, I have my very own website now:

The first thing you might notice (if you go there) is that the prices are considerably higher than what I have listed these packages for on Pennock's. As you can imagine, it takes quite a bit of time and money to get a website up and going. This obviously increases my overhead.

However....as a special thanks to the Fiero community (since this is how I got my start in radios), I am offering you a $20 discount on the listed package prices. For this reason, if you decide to purchase one you will not want to purchase it directly through the website. Instead, please contact me directly at radios@replacementradios.com. Please note that the discount is valid for the Packages only (found in the PACKAGES link). All other items will be sold at the prices indicated on the website.

Thanks a bunch!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock