Pennock's Fiero Forum
  The Mall - Archive
  Selling Pontiac CD Players w/EQ + wiring adaptors (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Selling Pontiac CD Players w/EQ + wiring adaptors by kru
Started on: 10-30-2002 11:03 PM
Replies: 521
Last post by: longjonsilver on 04-22-2008 09:17 AM
RWF

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2002 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWFSend a Private Message to RWFDirect Link to This Post
Hey Kevin

Mine came today...blue plug is a pain, scared I was going to break something but it went in and everything as advertised...

Great Deal Thanks

Rick

IP: Logged
GWMORGAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2002 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GWMORGANSend a Private Message to GWMORGANDirect Link to This Post
Kev, You've got mail!
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I've got 10 more CD radio packages. Did I mention they make a great Christmas present for yourself?
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Kudos to Kevin for supplying a product and giving outstanding customer service. The radio that I got would only play a CD for about tem minutes and quit. He responded to my emails very quickly, and was able to resolve my problem.

Thumbs up, and if I could give you another positive rating I would.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2002 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
They won't fit in your stocking, but they fit perfectly under the tree....
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2002 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Still got some orders trickling in, so I'm going to bump her to the top again...
GWMORGAN

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2002 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GWMORGANSend a Private Message to GWMORGANDirect Link to This Post
Got my radio yesterday afternoon and immediately installed. Compared to stock, it's one sweeeeet sounding radio.
It's looking almost new with no sign(s) of use.

Installation was a breeze...took me sbout an hour. Also had to do the subwoofer mod which was no biggie.

Thanks Kev for the prompt service.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2002 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I still have more of these radio/CD packages and I just placed an order for even more. I have some coming from late-model Chevy vehicles this time too, for those of you who prefer the green display. I also have a couple Pontiac radios coming without the EQ.

I am also selling them on eBay, but the prices are higher because of their fees.

Time to spend some of that Christmas cash that you know you're going to get!!

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by kru (edited 11-08-2003).]

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2002 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Shameless bump...

I've still got some of these packages available. Why not make it your new year's resolution to listen to CDs in your Fiero.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2002 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Now it's official. You got some Christmas cash. What better use is there for it than to spend it on your Fiero? You probably even got some CDs for Christmas, didn't you? How convenient...
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post12-28-2002 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Here's a free bump for you to keep you from sliding to page 3.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2002 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
[EDIT] Found your snail mail... Sent you a PM...

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-29-2002).]

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to everyone who has purchased one of these packages from me. I still have a few left, so I'm going to keep bumping this to the top.

Happy New Year!!

ClearDark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClearDarkSend a Private Message to ClearDarkDirect Link to This Post
You have email kru!
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2003 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
Here is a bump and a picture of the radio I bought from Kru a while back..... it is one of the best investments I have made for my car so far !!!
Thanks for the excellent service !!

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2003 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Blah, blah, blah...did I say something?

[This message has been edited by naskie18 (edited 01-02-2003).]

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2003 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

naskie18

6258 posts
Member since Jun 2002
So after making my comments in the above post I re-read this thread (which I probably should have done before installing the radio last night and before posting a few minutes ago, but hey, I'm an idiot). So anyway, here's what I did (and didn't do) during my installation. I couldn't get the radio in because of that triangular metal bracket, and didn't remember tgowens advice to use a screwdriver to pop the rivets out, so I just got a reciprocating saw and cut the top 3/4 or so of the bracket off. The other thing I did is I forgot to plug the blue plug back in, could somebody please tell my what the blue plug is for? I drove my car into work today and listen to the radio/cd the entire way in and didn't notice any problems, except that I think my headrest speakers were not working. Also, now that I'm looking at the picture of the wiring harness, I think I forgot to plug in another plug. In the pic below, I know I didn't plug in the blue plug, and I don't think I plugged in whatever color plug it is thats above the blue plug. Could someone please let me know what these two plugs are for? Thanks

Oh yeah, by the way, Kev, the radio rocks!! Thanks for a truely great product, it looks a heck of a lot better than the blue backlit Pioneer that was in the car

Nick

foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2003 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Kru I'll take another. You got pay-pal and e-mail
tgowens

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2003 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tgowensClick Here to visit tgowens's HomePageSend a Private Message to tgowensDirect Link to This Post
Maybe this photo will help with the plugs....

[This message has been edited by tgowens (edited 01-03-2003).]

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2003 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Cleardark - I sent you an email response from my normal email account. I am having problems with the account you sent the message to, so please respond to

radios@replacementradios.com

As for which plugs do or don't need used, you should have received some brief instructions with the radio that address this issue. If not, I apologize. I'll sum it up here:

tgowens picture is not entirely accurate. He has been extremely helpful through this process and I thank him again for that, but he actually has a couple of the plugs mis-labeled in the picture that he provided. Basically, there is one plug on each side of the adapter that is not used in the Fiero application. (Keep in mind that this adapter is for other GM vehicles from the same vintage. Some of the vehicles had a slightly different plug configuration.) Anyway, on the car side of the adapter, you will not use the small black plug with one gray wire and two orange. On the radio side of the adapter you will not use the black and red plug with the orange, gray, black and tan wires (You can see these wires and this plug in the large picture a few posts earlier, although the tan almost blends in with the background.) As has already been mentioned, you will also have to remove the black cap that is on the white plug on the car side of the adapter.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

newfieroowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2003 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieroownerSend a Private Message to newfieroownerDirect Link to This Post
I want one, do they have the cd and cassette all in one. also, i want the one with the eq....cd,cass, and eq.

Jeff

PFF
System Bot
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2003 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
No. They are just radio and CD. The CD/cassette combos were not available in Pontiacs until the last few years. They are not compatible. On top of being double-din size (too big), they are also not compatible from an electronics standpoint. I have been told that the radio works in tandem with the computer and will not operate if you pull it from the car. (This might be a bit of a poor explanation, but you get the jist.)

You could get a cassette player and a CD player in some Pontiacs in the late 90's, but they were separate units. You would have the CD player (like I'm selling) in the dash and a remote cassette player, or vice versa.

The CD/cassette units from other 90's GM vehicles are also too big (double-din), from what I understand. If you want a stock looking CD player, this is the only way to go. Otherwise, if you're set on a CD/Cassette combo, it's time to start modifying your dash and hacking up your wires. Don't do that to your Fiero!!

emars

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2003 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for emarsClick Here to visit emars's HomePageSend a Private Message to emarsDirect Link to This Post
FYI - I got my CD/radio yesterday, installed it this morning with no problems! Although I discovered that the cass/radio that I had in there already had all the wiring adapters I needed (it was dated 1993)! So I didn't use any of the adapters you supplies, kru. Maybe I'll try and sell them on eBay.

Thanks!!!!

------------------

1985 Fiero SE V6

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2003 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Well, if my work ever gets around to paying me my back expenses since October, I'll be able to get one. Till then, here's another bump for ya.
newfieroowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2003 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfieroownerSend a Private Message to newfieroownerDirect Link to This Post
I want one, cd with the eq..how much delivered to 39301

jeff

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2003 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
emars - If you want to send the adapters back I'll give you a $20 refund.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2003 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kru:
Naskie18 - I'm not sure what the blue plug is used for either. When I state that it needs to be used, I am going on advice I read somewhere on the web that it should be plugged into the back of the radio in the top left corner (when viewing the plug from the back of the radio.)

So I pulled it out again yesterday and got all the plugs in the right place.

As tgowens stated, the white plug is the radio power connector.

The black plug is for the dash speakers, and the blue plug is for the headrest speakers.

Thanks again for a great radio, Kev!!!!

Nick

AnimalGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2003 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AnimalGTSend a Private Message to AnimalGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in a CD/radio for Pontiac (amber lighting) with EQ. PM sent.
Scott
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2003 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
RossT referenced an alternate method for modifying your wiring if you have the factory Performance Sound System and want it to work with this set-up, but don't want to cut/splice any of your original wiring. I contacted him to get the specifics. I am including his response here.

Cut the white wire (from terminal E) in the middle of the adapter harness. Tape off the end that goes to the radio side of the adapter. (This will no longer be used.) Bare a small section at the end of the other half of the white wire (the half that is on the car side of the adapter). Then bare (do not cut) a small section of the red wire (from terminal F) and splice the bared end of the white wire into the red. Wrap with electrical tape. (Or, you could use a wire tap, if you prefer not to bare the red wire, but the results aren't always as good.)

The reason for this: the red wire is HOT when the key is turned. The red wire will now supply power to the sub through the white wire.

Your sub will be on whenever the key is turned on, but, if you're like me, you'll have the radio on whenever the car is on anyway.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2003 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I've got 12 more of these packages available, including a couple of the Chevy CD/radios with the green lighting.

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Hard to believe this post has had almost 1000 views, but hey, I'm still getting orders, so I'm going to bump her to the top again.

Just an FYI, I have a couple of the Monsoon versions of the UP3 radio this time. I've got them priced $20 higher. Again, that includes the adapters and shipping via FedEx Ground in the continental US.

Thanks.

-Kevin

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Are the Monsoon UP3's a direct replacement for the regular UP3? I was wondering if using them required external amps or amplified speakers. I know GM used amplified speakers in the old Delco-Bose system. Just want to make sure it would still be plug and play with the Fiero system.
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2003 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Yes. They are a direct replacement. No additional components are required. I have sold a couple of them already with no complaints.
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2003 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
so how many have you sold now kru? i kinda wish i would have bought one, but im alittle late now, the one i got from the junk yard wont play cd's and its a no return item.... i pulled it from the car. it was only 30 bucks though. its a much older style cd-player than the ones your selling. The one i really want comes out of a 91 caddy. im sure other cars have had them also. but i know the 91 caddy has the cd-player that I want.

matthew

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2003 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Between here and eBay, I've sold 50+ radios. Both supply and demand seem to be drying up a bit, but I've still got about 15 radios. I'll keep doing it as long as I can still offer the package at a reasonable cost.

I checked into the Cadillac CD radios and they are hard to come by, which translates to cost prohibitive, especially when I'm not buying them in quantity.

I am looking into adding some early 90's Pontiac CD players to my inventory. That'll give people at least one more choice.

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2003 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
OK, what does the Monsoon radio look like and waht are the differances in the features?

Aaron

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2003 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
It looks virtually identical to the UP3 radio with EQ that is pictured at the beginning of this post. The only thing that makes it visibly different is the Pontiac logo is in white in the top left corner and next to it, Monsoon is printed in white with the Monsoon symbol.

From a feature standpoint, I don't think there is a difference.

The Monsoon version was the top of the line stereo available in the late 90's. The system included some special speakers and an amp, I believe, but you can use the radio by itself. I have sold a couple and have bench-tested all of them using a wiring harness like the one you will get with your radio, so it has been verified that they do work without the rest of the Monsoon system. You might be able to purchase the rest of the Monsoon system somewhere and use it in your Fiero too, but I have no experience with that.

Thanks for asking.

-Kevin

kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2003 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
Still selling them. Back to the top...
kru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2003 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post

kru

611 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I just received another shipment of the Pontiac CD radios and I now have three of the Monsoon versions of the UP3. This was the top of the line system in the late 90's and in 2000 when the UP3 radio was available. If you want to be a little different from everyone else that's doing this conversion, this is the radio for you. It's $20 more than the normal UP3.

If you're interested in a stock-looking CD radio but want to save some money, try the non-EQ Pontiac model. It still has great sound, the amber (red) display and looks great in the Fiero.

As usual, all prices include the new adapters, installation instructions and shipping via FedEx Ground in the continental US.

Thanks.

mgbringo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2003 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mgbringoSend a Private Message to mgbringoDirect Link to This Post
I will take a Monsoon. PM sent. Can you get the amps also?

Here is a site with details on the Monsoon configuration from Pontiac.
http://www.grooveride.com/pontiacdemo.htm

------------------
1986 Fiero GT

[This message has been edited by mgbringo (edited 01-24-2003).]

[This message has been edited by mgbringo (edited 01-24-2003).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock