Daytona Weekend Car Show by Tom Corey
Started on: 01-11-2005 10:05 PM
Replies: 258
Last post by: Alex4mula on 03-28-2005 10:25 AM
kmunson56

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kmunson56Send a Private Message to kmunson56Direct Link to This Post
I like Dave's idea. I think the judging problem this year in the Daily Drivers was due to lack of enough people helping with the judging from the start. I judged in the Custom class and got done fairly quick. The three of us that were judging in the custom class considered helping the judges in daily drivers , but we felt that would make the judging inconsistant, which is exactly what happened when they did send someone to help. The daily Driver class was a very big class and it was taking quite a while to get it judged. The video idea is the best part because if everybody viewed it there would be a better understanding of what is judged on the cars and how a judge should judge the car. Just my opinion.
Next year I plan to display the Formula and the GT unless I get the GT back to a point I feel it is ready to be judged again.
Kris
IP: Logged
Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 05:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

What do you all think ? Could we get enough people to volunteer ?

No - after 9 years of doing the show

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post03-25-2005 06:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Kris PM sent.
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dragon:

No - after 9 years of doing the show

Volunteers have always been a problem. I judged the first two years that I attended and was burned out because it took so long. I spent way too long my first year. So long, in fact, that cars from other groups were leaving before I was finished. The second time was better but still took too long. Both times I felt like I missed out on some of the fun so I took a couple of years off.

This year I again volunteered to help judge. I was selected for the Stock class and was the "time keeper". Judging was limited to three minutes per car and we only had seven (maybe eight) cars in the class. Figure 3 minutes judging time and a couple of minutes to set-up/summerize the sheet and that's abut 5-minutes per car. We were done in 45 minutes tops. THIS IS A GREAT FORMAT. I will volunteer to judge every year as long as we keep this time limit.

The other positive change that was made was no cleaning after judging started. That way there is no advantage to staging late so you have extra shine time. So, if you can't clean during the judging, you may as well help judge. The more the judges, the faster it's over and the more time meeting and greating and idea browzing.

Great show,
Roy

jg88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jg88gtSend a Private Message to jg88gtDirect Link to This Post
To Frank and Tom , and all the other volunteers , I would like to give my thanks for all the hard work to make this another great show. I always look forward to coming south each year and I also would like to say I prefer "judged " shows over popular vote also. If you need volunteers for next year you can count me in.. Thanks, Richard
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I guess I'm in the minority of preferring show-n-shines to judged events. Probably because I've never had a car nice enough to win anything at a judged event.

achawkins

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I've made Daytona an anual event, so if I can help out in some way next year I'll be glad to.

------------------
____________________Marty
The Pearl White GT Build Up

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Another idea.... Why not solicit volunteers on the application/registration form? Add some verbiage stating something like:

"Or goal for the 2006 Daytona show is to complete all judging in less than one hour by limiting judging times to 3-minutes per car. This would allow everyone, including judges, time to prepare there own cars and lots of time to mingle and enjoy the show. However, to do so requires YOUR help. We need judges. It's easy and fun. Please check the box below if you would like to volunteer to help."

Another suggestion is to include the word "Show Volunteer" on the T-shirt for all those who check the box to help. You may want to include other volunteer opportunities like: Park cars, tally judging sheets, pre-show set-up, etc. with brief discriptions of each task. Let's encourage more participation!!!

Roy

Brygida Fieros

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Brygida FierosClick Here to visit Brygida Fieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to Brygida FierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

Another idea.... Why not solicit volunteers on the application/registration form? Add some verbiage stating something like:
Let's encourage more participation!!!

Roy

Love your idea and second it. I volunteered in judging one year and was also burned out because it took so long and there was no time to enjoy the show. If there are not enough people that volunteer on their own, find ways to make them volunteer. For example, give out awards/prizes for volunteering. (how about those door prizes for the ones that put in time and effort to help out with the show?) T-shirts in different colors and marked "Show Volunteer" or "JUDGE" is very nice idea. Also, previous year winners - would be the best bet for next years' judges nominations, since their cars win for a reason (they pay attention to details).
I'm sure with everyone's input and new ideas, WE (all of us participants) not only the organizers (Florida Council) can make this show much better and more enjoyable to everyone next year.

BRYGIDA T.
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

PS. I will respond to other comments/posts/offers in regards to errors and mistakes in judging where my and other cars in Daily Driver class were involved at a later time or PM everyone that emailed me directly. Give me alittle time to catch up on all this gossip. I'm alittle overwhelmed if you know what I mean.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brygida Fieros:

.... For example, give out awards/prizes for volunteering. (how about those door prizes for the ones that put in time and effort to help out with the show?)

That's a great idea!!! A "Volunteer Only" door prize! What about a gift certificate from the Fiero store or from Rodney Dickman? Everyone could use something from either place.

Roy

red GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for red GTSend a Private Message to red GTDirect Link to This Post
Well I'm going to keep this thread until next year and I will tell you why...
I have helped out with this shows planning for at least the last seven years (and if you think bring the race car to the show is easy you are mistaken, but we do it for all of you) and have even volunteered my home for event meetings and only remember seeing a few "new people" making a real effort to help out with anything on this show. It is great to read all of this "I will help", "lets make next years show even better", and "how to get volunteers" so each one of you with the new ideas step up to the plate take a part of this shows volunteer responsiblites and run with like the rest of us have done over the years.
For example:
Roy you would make a great head judge with your talent so take the chance and next year implement some of these new ideas.
Brygida you take on getting the trophies for the show classes and specialty awards like the one you got this year.
I can tell you none of these responsiblities are easy when we are spread out all over the state but I look forward to seeing all the new faces next year when planning starts all over again...Craig

------------------
8T6 GT

[This message has been edited by red GT (edited 03-25-2005).]

PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I get "volunteered" every year , I try to hide but Frank always finds me.
Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
I've been asked to help the last 2 years. Don't mind that at all. I've been lucky enough to get an easy job tho. I'll be willing to help in some fashion or form, just let me know. I'll definately be there anyway, so just as well help.
Now we just need to figure out how to get "more" cars there. Don't know why the numbers seem to be dropping each year.
Dragon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DragonSend a Private Message to DragonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

Phil I appreciate you always being there for me. You and many of the others from outside Florida that help to take care of our specialty award judging. I just like to “draft” folks from outside Florida to keep things interesting.

I specially would like to thank Jonathan Miller (jscott1) for jumping in and helping with the main judging. That rather caught me by surprise.

Frank

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:

You know, I have got tagged the last two years as well. hmm, the only positive is I remembered sunscreen this year and did not end up looking like a lobster Now before they get the Chance, Yes I will be helping again next year.

Also a Thanks should go out to Paul C from Pontiac Wide Track Warriors cause I saw him helping out with Judging.

------------------
4.9 Caddy IN CAR!!!!! Coolant on Driveway! ACK!

http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.org

Proud Member and founder of the DOWN SOUTH SUNNY WINTER PICK ON SNOW PEOPLE COALITION!

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 03-25-2005).]

Tom Corey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom CoreySend a Private Message to Tom CoreyDirect Link to This Post
[

[This message has been edited by Tom Corey (edited 03-28-2005).]

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2005 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by red GT:

Well I'm going to keep this thread until next year and I will tell you why...
Roy you would make a great head judge with your talent so take the chance and next year implement some of these new ideas.
...Craig

Whoa dude. I said I'd judge, not take over .

ACSCAR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2005 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ACSCARClick Here to visit ACSCAR's HomePageSend a Private Message to ACSCARDirect Link to This Post
TO ALL THE JUDGES-- My hats off to you for doing a great but difficult task that is handed to you to perform and then hear all the bs with people who weren't happy. Myself I was extremely happy with the results even after looking at our judging sheet hell I would of been pickier then what was marked but thats also because I know the car and I'm hard on myself/fieros. But anywho I do applaude the judges and the show was GREAT . The weather came out and gave everyone those nice red necks and plus I had fun which is why we always come. My hands clapping to Frank and Marian and to the council for putting on a fantastic and fun show and I can't wait to go again.
AC II
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2005 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Next year I promise to volunteer to be time keeper or other thing but I can't judge

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay