Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Who's ready for a proper 4.9? (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Who's ready for a proper 4.9? by FriendOfYours
Started on: 10-03-2012 02:56 AM
Replies: 674
Last post by: MaxCubes on 06-06-2013 02:43 AM
gt88norm

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like this dynos gunna git done while I'm outta town, dayem!
Probably just as well(I might jinx it), last "dyno day" I went to was around the
corner at Austin's Pro Max(well up the block too), dude had an 928 on the treadmill
@ around 130mph or so and a tire went South(North, West, 'n' East too).
Everybody in the entire building, I mean ENTIRE BUILDING
(once was Walrich's 'So. Tac. Chev.') hit the deck collectively.
Needless to say fella went home to Portland pullin' a U-Haul . . .
FOY check the tire pressures . . . often!

Everyone get well soon!

FOY : let's talk LQ1 on "'Bill Levin's' "lowering" mounts" & cradle stiffener thingie.

Norm

[This message has been edited by gt88norm (edited 11-05-2012).]

IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:
This is the only near complete pic I've got

Make sure that the oil filter connections stay capped/plugged. A very tiny piece of FOD in the main oil gallery will lead to a very bad day. Leaving those connections open while significant work is being done in the engine bay is begging for serious problems.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2012 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Will

14226 posts
Member since Jun 2000
I guess what's pictured could be a dummy block... I'd assumed that was the target engine.
FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post11-05-2012 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
The tstat housing and filter housing had just been removed for powder. It wasnt left open

The motor in the OP is a completely different motor

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 11-05-2012).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I missed it, but was there a particular reason for canting the intake plenum at an angle? Clearance issues, maybe? Just curious.

In any case, the dyno results should be interesting.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I am going to be laid up in the hospital till probably Friday at this rate. Man this really sucks. So I have told FOY to just go ahead and Dyno the car now. Take lots of Video's and I will come get it once I am finally out of here and totally recovered. I made a joke with my Nurse (I've been on IV Morphine since Saturday) That I have Nitrous in my car. Ya Ya I know Automotive nitrous has an additive to make people sick from trying to abuse it. They had no idea it could be used in a car. Too Funny.

Well I am both anxious and exhausted for the results. Hope it can finally make it to the Dyno soon, so I can see what new baby is going to put out.
As to it being cantered over, I am guessing its to give room for the dist shaft. (unless I am looking at it back-wards and its for the Alternator. In either case, so long as I can close my deck lid I will be happy and I have a massive deck lid scoop so that should not be an issue.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-06-2012 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
The angle is there only to achieve the amount of volume that we wanted. If it were flat and completely above everything it would be too large and affect throttle response negatively. It does fit under your decklid and a non-modified GT decklid

There will be plenty of video and I will have a print out for you. Turbo Tech said they can probably get us in tmrw at 3, if not then Thursday they are totally free

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 11-06-2012).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2012 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Maybe I missed it, but was there a particular reason for canting the intake plenum at an angle? Clearance issues, maybe? Just curious.

In any case, the dyno results should be interesting.

Go back and look at the first pics on the first page... it's not totally obvious, but it's angled for distributor clearance.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping to be out of the Hospital today, and maybe going to get my car this weekend. (yes my wife says she would kill me if I left the hospital and went straight for a road trip to get my car)
However I think she has the doctors on her side. They are keeping me for at least another week. Frack I hate Hospitals. I even said, hey just give me an O2 tank I'll strap to the passenger seat and just let me go for a drive, this sitting around it making me go nuts.

So FOY, How is the car coming, no major photo releases in a few days whats up?

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2012 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireDirect Link to This Post
just think the day you do get to drive it, its just gonna feel so much better. Feel better.
FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-09-2012 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Did you get my email?

For now we just have been using a cone filter on the intake since it sits right below your scoop, and the wheel well is taken up by the oil cooler. Kinda wish we would have mounted the intake to the opposite side

Old wiring

New wiring

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 11-10-2012).]

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Hey, my wiring was loomed up nice once. However I had to tear the harness apart for something and just never got the car finished so I never put it back together.

It looks amazing. Your email had gotten mixed up in my 1and1 online spam filter, which I don't usually check that often. Once I logged in I found it and replied. The below reply is mostly from the email reply I sent you.
But I did add a bit at the bottom.

I thought I was going to get lucky and get out of here Saturday as the Respiratory Therapist came and we went for a short walk down the hall and I managed to keep my Oxygen level above 90% for a 5 min continuous walk. She was like yep she would clear me to go home. However the Internal Medicine dock had another idea. They did a White Cell count on my blood and my white cells are still through the roof. So they say not until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest. Damn this sucks.

What were the tuning issues with the car? Was it leaning out, detonation? Just don’t tell me that we milkshaked the oil, LOL. I know from doing the programing on my old custom 2.9’s we had an issue that with the cam we needed to advance it to about 16 degree’s enough to give it the bottom end we wanted, however around 4000 when the rpms got up enough for the cam to build real compression it would detonate all to hell. So we would back it down. We ended up tweaking the chip, removing fuel and adding timing from idle to 3000 and above 3000 we decreased timing and increased fuel. Ended up working amazing. Engine would scream to 6500 however at lower rpms cruise it had lots of initial advance to get me 30+ mpg. Man I loved that motor. However I went with the lightweight hypereutectic pistons and moly rings, then added the N2O and tore up a piston and rings. Ooops.

So you mentioned you drove the car before the swap, did you see what I mean, but it ran to well to be a blown head gasket, but still would fill the cooling system with air in short order. I hope that the front suspension did not scare you. It was the one part of the car I had not yet gotten to. I had all those nice new parts, just never had time to install them.

So 80mph Eh, going a little fast in a customer’s car were ya, LOL. Do you think it will pull 5000 in 5th gear? Wanna give it a shot, just make sure you get video‼! Hey you are building it, you break it you rebuild it. I would rather you beat the hell out of it at its limits before you hand it to me, and the first time I ring it out, have it explode on me. I always tell me customers when I build a Fiero for them, I am going to take it for a spirited test run that will more than likely have the car sideways at least once, and take it to an excess of 160kph before I hand them the keys. If I don’t feel comfortable with it at those speeds they can’t have the car until I do. If they don’t like those terms, no problem they can find a different mechanic. I was doing most of the Fiero work up here, and just can’t do it anymore, which is why I am sending all the big jobs your way. We have a local shop that has a Fiero owner as a mechanic so I send all the small stuff to him. We use to race at Mission Raceway Park in our Fiero’s together so I do trust him. However their shop rates even with club discount are still $60 per hour and he is forced to charge book rate when he knows he can it in 1/3 the time.

I want to see more pics, please more pics more pics, more car **** for the poor sick bastard. Maybe a video of it running? Reved up a bit, so I can hear the exhaust? I feel like a drug addict asking for another hit.

Side note, I do have all the insurance paid up on the car and fresh plates and tags ready to go.

------------------

FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-10-2012 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
I pulled all the unused pins and eliminated some things that had been doubled back or were very long. Took out any crimps and soldered->heatshrinked. The fan, temp, tach, speedo, everything works as it should. Everything on the upperhalf, is powder coated, aside from the tstat housing and TB, just incase you want to polish them.

Copied from email

No, it is not stock. It has our headers and a 3.4" pulley w/f23. The tq of the 4.9 and 3.8SC are actually very close, just comes on earlier in the 4.9, and your GTP loses alot through that 4t65e-hd. We were planning on porting the heads and manifolds on your motor but my father decided it just wasn't worth the time/vs cost. We also wouldn't a have a concrete gain number for the intake porting and added plenum to the intake. With the kind of power we seem to be getting without bigger valves, a full port job and headers, there is huge room for improvement. The exhaust ports and manifolds are just a joke

There are no tuning issues with the car, I just want to try and squeeze a bit more timing out of it. The baseline run the dyno only showed 72hp/104tq, which obviously isn't correct, so they sent us off and told me to comeback Monday. Your old motor did have a blown headgasket at #8

The only reason I'm not going nuts in your car is because it isn't registered. I don't want to get pulled over in an out of country car that I don't own lol

At least you are getting better, that's great news. Hurry and get out of there so you can help out your wife! I'm lucky enough that Amanda's parents are here to help, otherwise I'd never get anything done

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 11-10-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2012 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The car is insured, I can send you copies of the insurance and registration and just for laughs sake send you colour high res photos of the lisc plates you can print off and show a cop if you get pulled over. Hell Get them laminated and from 50ft away I'd bed with a good laser printer you would not know the difference.

The great news, is I had to agree to stay in bed, take antibiotics, and use a practice breathing machine but at 1pm I am a free man. I also had to agree to see my family doctor on Monday for a re-evaluation. He could order me back to the hospital but at least I get a couple days at home. Yaaaa.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2012 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Bumpity?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2012 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Basically, I am waiting to hear back from FOY. Emailed him a few days ago for a status update and no response.

------------------

Purple86GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purple86GTSend a Private Message to Purple86GTDirect Link to This Post
Anything yet?
I haven't heard back neither...

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2012 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried calling him. I spoke to him on the phone and got the low down on FOY Racing, If I were you I would call him. The foyracing email is no good you need to call him.

I spoke to him and he felt it would be a bad idea for me to make the 8hr return drive while I am still taking Morphine 3 times a day. So on Friday he is going to take the car and drive it up to Canada Customs for me, so all I have to do is go through USA Customs pick up the car and then turn around and head for Canada Customs. I believe he said his father would he following him in a 2nd car. I told him Dyno or not I just wanted my car back. So he is really going above and beyond to get things straight with me. I believe his phone number is in the other thread, or send me a PM and I'll send it to you.

I am going to copy this reply to the other thread as well.

------------------

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
First off, get well and feel better soon
It looks as though FOY did some nice fabrication work on your 4.9L and its good to hear that he is making it easy to get your car back. Outside of the work and the nice accommodation what was the end result? Was the power level significantly improved or was this the same exercise in futility that we have seen on all the other performance 4.9L builds? I believe that the 4.9L is a good engine; lots of torque down low, light weight, good sound, reliability, mileage and 200 HP stock, but IMO a very questionable choice for a performance build.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am leaving for customs in a few mins.(10:30am pst) He won't be there until about 5pm, however with it being Black Friday the boarder line ups for Canadians going down to the US to buy stuff, (your US dollar has tanked so bad, we can buy stuff with CDN dollars and its like paying 1/2 price, then add the sale price and you get the picture) I am guessing it will be a 2hr line up just to get through customs. Now from what he has told me, they have a Modded 3800SC Fiero there that runs a documented 12.5 in the quarter and my 4.9 build will outrun it till about 80mph then the 3800SC starts pulling and passes the 4.9. I told him if the car runs 13.5 I will be happy with the build, he said it should be able to do that without even trying. It is suppose to pour rain the next couple of days so I won't be able to give a real response myself about power until maybe Sunday when it dries out. Then even that I will just be seat of the pants and testing with my phones 1/4 mile timer. No one has Ever in the history of 4.9 Fiero's tried this style of intake before so who know maybe it will turn out that this is the mod that wakes up the 4.9.

As I said previously I was actually pretty happy with the power I had before, I just wished the power curve was higher, less bottom end and more top end. The cam is suppose to have fixed that, the intake mods are just icing on the cake.
It turns out my Nitrous kit did blow a hole in the #8 cylinder head gasket seat. Which is why I kept getting air in the cooling system.

I will take tons of pics of the car and the install and Video's of testing. I have a camera mount for inside the car as well. I'll try and do some 0-60 and 0-100 runs and post up the video's showing the speedo.

David

------------------

PFF
System Bot
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
No dyno?
Twinn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2012 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TwinnSend a Private Message to TwinnDirect Link to This Post
DYNO was broken the day FOY took it to get tested. Capt may try to DYNO it in Canada
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well we got through customs, and waited around, at 3pm got a call that they had not even left yet due to a delay in the person giving him a ride home. 4pm I call to find out what is going on, and find out that the car won't start due to a dead battery. I say alright well it is getting late and I said we would start heading south and meet them 1/2 way once they got the battery changed. 6:45pm, the Fiero that we were in driving down, developed an alternator issue. I manage to get it jury rigged and call FOY to find out about my car, now the car won't spin over even with a new battery. I am just about to loose my mind. I say alright, I don't trust the Fiero we are in to make it the 170 miles back to BC with the temporary alternator fix, so I will drive down to FOY help them get my Fiero fixed, then we can fix the alternator correctly in the Fiero we drove down. Well we get down there and my car is 1/2 torn apart. They say it won't be done tonight, I try to fix the Fiero we drove down, and end up putting a crow bar through the casing of the alternator. UUUUGGGHHHH. So FOY and my buddy run to the parts store at 10pm get a new alternator and by the time they get back its 11pm. I am not up for the 4hr drive back to BC if I am going to have to spend an hour getting the alternator into the 1st Fiero. So we are looking at either a hotel stay. FOY agrees to let us crash on their couch and we will go back and fix both Fiero's and leave in the morning.

Fast Forward to 10am the next day, we get back to the shop, I quickly put the alternator into the Fiero we drove down, and FOY is swapping in an Allante Starter into my Fiero. Next thing I hear from the shop is Fuuuuuuucccckkk. I go in to see what is up, the longer of the 2 bolts that go through the starter some how manages to sheer off in the block while testing it. Now for those that know 4.9 that longer bolt sits directly above the cross member so there is no way to drill it out. The only way to access that ear of the block is with the motor off the cradle. By this point, I am staying calm not getting angry, I am really really frustrated over the entire thing, and let FOY know that I am frustrated but crap happens and there is nothing that can be done about it.

So my buddy and I jump back into his Fiero and return to BC. Been gone 36hrs drove over 350 miles all for nothing.

FOY did offer to at least pay for our fuel for the trip and has offered to deliver the car to me in BC. He said he will clear it through customs and bring it right to my door, hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

------------------

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2012 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Just damn...

Best of luck.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted Nov10 by FriendOfYours:

The baseline run the dyno only showed 72hp/104tq, which obviously isn't correct, so they sent us off and told me to comeback Monday.

Originally posted Nov 22 by Capt Fiero:

I told him Dyno or not I just wanted my car back.

With all the interest in how these 4.9 mods have worked out, I know I'm not the only one following this thread who's wondering why a second dyno run has never been attempted by FOY at some point in the last two weeks.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-25-2012).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
/popcorn

Being a 4.9 owner, when the next time I have to do a motor swap on the car, it's going to Archie for an LS4 and an F40.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 11-25-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

With all the interest in how these 4.9 mods have worked out, I know I'm not the only one following this thread who's wondering why a second dyno run has never been attempted by FOY at some point in the last two weeks.

With no disrespect to FOY, I am too wondering why a second attempt was not done, at a different dyno shop. I did see the car in person and that 4.9 is not like any I have ever seen. There were a few things that I was disappointed in, the exhaust was told to me that it was 3" turns out it is 2.5 from the manifolds through the muffler and out to the tip. The Mounts are Rubber instead of Poly, but I have been assured the rubber will last even with the nitrous being used as there is now 5 matching points.

The tires still need to be swapped out as well.

However in the end this 4.9 is like Nothing Anyone has ever seen. Just about every aspect of the build is custom, prototype parts, that were hand made by FOY. This "MIGHT" be the time that sum of the parts equals something greater than the parts alone. (or however that saying goes}

The tolerance between the intake and the alternator is very very tight so there is no way to make that any larger.

If this works, it may be the fastest N/A 4.9 on the planet. Who Knows, we Shall see when the car actually gets out and onto a real dyno.
This trip down I brought all the insurance papers and plates for the car so its totally legal to be on the road.

I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the car to be completed and driven all the way up to BC. In a way I am glad they are driving it to BC for me. It will be a good shake down run and can work out any possible bugs on the drive. With so many mods, like any major overhaul there will be bugs to be worked out. Whilst I was there I found a few things that needed to be addressed before it hits the road. FOY Discussed a few things that I wanted changed before I took the car. Things that were agreed upon to be done however had been overlooked.

I mean no disrespect to FOY there is stuff going on behind the scenes that are making work many times harder that it was when this all started. Less time and Manpower is available, so all of a sudden its a lot more work for the staff.

I am getting a special low price (still over several thousand dollars in cash and tools) for this build, in exchange he gets to test things on my build and see if they work, and if needed, take off parts and re-design things which takes more time and understandably delays the build.

FOY is trying to be accommodating to me and even offered me a partial refund (which I declined) do to the delays and things I was not happy with. My response is skip the refund just get the car perfect and dead nuts reliable. I do plan to have my 3 year old in this car, so I can't have something fail at freeway speeds and I can't have it break down on me on the freeway and be stranded with her in the passenger seat.

At one time, this car was so reliable my wife would take it on road trips to Oregon and drive it on the beach, as well as lots of high speed street racing. I want it to be that reliable again and LOTS FASTER. I want a 250kph car, (that's like 155mph for you Yankees) To have a 150mph 4.9 Fiero would be a major feather in my cap, and HUGE bragging rights for FOY Racing.

LOL, my only real worry is the Nose that Car Lo and Clynt built if it tries to rip off the car at that speed it might get interesting if it floats under the front tires.

Well I am really hoping it all works out, I am crossing my fingers that the car gets completed and tested to make sure everything is good. I would be really disappointed if this turned into some sort of legal fight. I have faith that eventually the car will be done and be perfect.

The person running it is really a great guy, just under some really unfortunate circumstances has made progress really difficult. Which is honestly why I am being so patient right now.

------------------

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

So my buddy and I jump back into his Fiero and return to BC. Been gone 36hrs drove over 350 miles all for nothing.

Makes me want to go on a road trip! I hope you at least stopped for icecream.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh the Road Trip was great, AM/PM Gut BOMB Double Cheese Burgers and Hot Dogs that make you Fart for Hours. Turns out a good White Ziffindale Wine goes GREAT with AMPM Burgers.

Denny's Breakfasts at 3 in the afternoon, stopped and had a lunch at a Bowling Alley that had a lounge with Curly Fries and Vodka Cranberry's. My friend does not drink, so I was able to keep a nice buzz going to stay calm.

The Road Trip part of it was a bit of a Blast. Just make sure you bring tools on the road trip.

------------------

Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 05:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post
Good Times!

And yes, I ALWAYS bring my tools. Have to use them more often than I'd like to admit!
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Its a Basic Rule of Thumb, A Fiero will run perfect and the best way to make damn sure it will run perfect for thousands of miles on a road trip is FILL the front compartment with tools, and parts. Because sure as $hit, the first time you leave without your tools and parts, it will break down hundreds of miles away from where you need to be. With no one to call for help, chances are you won't even have cell service and end up walking 5 miles, then get attacked and killed by a person driving by that wants to turn you into food for the end of the world.

Moral of the Story if you plan a road trip in a 25 year old car, always bring spare parts. All the Sensors, plus Coil and Dist Shaft Compete. In our case we should have brought a spare alternator, but we usually don't carry one of those. If you don't have room for a spare tire, grab a can of spray fix a flat and use all the spare tire space for more tools. Then once your luggage is loaded in the trunk, look for the little spaces to put more tools. There is a great pocket of space behind the drivers headrest to put things as well. I usually put spare shoots up there, between the rear window and the head rest of a tent or umbrella. Don't forgot the spaces between the sides of the seat and the frame area near the E-Brake, also a great small item storage.

If you bring everything, you can fix everything and not have an issue. My wife can Re-Re a dist shaft along the side of the road, clock the cap and rotor and be done in 20 mins or less. I came and saved her a few times and she saw how I did it, then one day, called me and asked me said it happened again, so I walked her step by step and she did it perfect and now she does it on her car and friends Fiero's. Usually you can get it done faster than a tow truck can even get to you.

Bring TOOLS ALWAYS

------------------

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I stopped caring about the fastest 4.9 on the planet and now only wish it actually ran like the Cadillac that it's supposed to be.

I believe the problem I'm having with mine is that the stock fuel pump can't handle more than 4500rpm. Maybe some stock fuel pumps can but some can't. When I dynoed mine last year, the speed shop operator told me I hit a rev limiter. Well, I have it set at 6000, not 4500. With 19# injectors and 8 cylinders instead of 6, the stock fuel pump is tapped in most cases. On my V6 with 19# injectors, I can go to 6000 rpm with my 3.400. If I ever go to a 3.500 and/or turbo, I will definately need to drop the tank and add a bigger pump.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well you can always move to the 88 Fiero pump with is capable of flowing much more fuel, interesting fact its the same part number as the 90 Corvette fuel pump. So if GM felt that pump was good enough for the Corvette, and its a plug and play for Fiero's. Its the only pump I install in cars now. Another nice Note, here in BC is 20% cheaper than the 85-87 V6 Fiero pump. If you would like I have the cross reference chart around here someplace and I can post it up with the part number.

------------------

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Well you can always move to the 88 Fiero pump with is capable of flowing much more fuel, interesting fact its the same part number as the 90 Corvette fuel pump. So if GM felt that pump was good enough for the Corvette, and its a plug and play for Fiero's. Its the only pump I install in cars now. Another nice Note, here in BC is 20% cheaper than the 85-87 V6 Fiero pump. If you would like I have the cross reference chart around here someplace and I can post it up with the part number.

I believe the Corvette pump that fits is AC/Delco EP376. That should supply plenty of fuel for a 4.9L engine the. It looks like my 4.9L swap is moving forward so thats the pump that I will use. When changing pumps also pay attention to the connectors and make certain that they are clean. Corroded connectors= low voltage to the fuel pump and less fuel.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
ITs amazing how many cars and trucks that pump went into, from big 8 liter V8's and such. Down to small regular 6 cylinder cars. Here is the full interchange in case someone decided to cheap out and hit up a wrecker to get the pump for nearly free.

Note this pump is only a direct bolt in on the 88 Fiero's however we have modded it to fit in early Fiero's as well. The big bonus is the pump is near silent compared to the early pumps. I belive this pump is capable of flowing more at a higher pressure. Only draw back I can see is it heats your fuel faster by cycling through the fuel rail and return line more often. Some people think HOT fuel is a good thing, but I don't know. One last note this IS the pump GM used on the 4.9 Caddys

Part#: Carter P74037
Manufacturer: Select Manufacturer CARTER
Part Type All Part Type(s)ELECTRIC FUEL

Total Number of Applications: 274
BUICK (47) 1988-1996
CENTURY (7) 1988-1992
1992 V6-204ci 3.3L F/I Vin N
1991 V6-204ci 3.3L F/I Vin N
1990 V6-204ci 3.3L F/I Vin N
1989 V6-204ci 3.3L F/I Vin N
1989 V6-173ci 2.8L F/I Vin W
1988 V6-173ci 2.8L F/I Vin W
1988 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin 3

ELECTRA (1) 1990-1990
1990 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin C

LESABRE (3) 1989-1991
1991 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin C
1989 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin C

PARK AVENUE (1) 1990-1990

REATTA (3) 1989-1991
1991 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin L

REGAL (17) 1988-1996
1996 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin M
1996 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin K
1995 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin M
1995 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin L
1994 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin M
1994 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin L
1993 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin T
1993 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin L
1992 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin T
1992 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin L
1991 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin T
1990 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin T
1990 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin L
1989 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin T

RIVIERA (5) 1989-1993

ROADMASTER (2) 1994-1995
1995 V8-350ci 5.7L F/I Vin P
1994 V8-350ci 5.7L F/I Vin P

ROADMASTER ESTATE WAGON (2) 1994-1995

SKYLARK (6) 1988-1991
1991 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin D
1990 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin D
1989 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin D
1988 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin D
1988 V6-181ci 3.0L F/I Vin L

CADILLAC (16) 1988-1992
ALLANTE (5) 1988-1992
1992 V8-276ci 4.5L F/I Vin 8
1991 V8-276ci 4.5L F/I Vin 8
1990 V8-276ci 4.5L F/I Vin 8
1989 V8-276ci 4.5L F/I Vin 8
1988 V8-252ci 4.1L F/I Vin 7

CIMARRON (1) 1988-1988

ELDORADO (3) 1990-1992
1992 V8-300ci 4.9L F/I Vin B
1991 V8-300ci 4.9L F/I Vin B
1990 V8-276ci 4.5L F/I Vin 3

ELDORADO TOURING COUPE (2) 1991-1992

SEVILLE (3) 1990-1992

SEVILLE STS (2) 1990-1991

CHEVROLET (89) 1988-1996
BERETTA (9) 1988-1992
1992 L4-133ci 2.2L F/I Vin 4
1992 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin A
1991 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin A
1990 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin A

CAPRICE (1) 1995-1995

CAPRICE WAGON (2) 1994-1995

CAVALIER (4) 1988-1991

CAVALIER Z24 (4) 1988-1991

CELEBRITY (3) 1988-1990

CORSICA (6) 1988-1992
1992 L4-133ci 2.2L F/I Vin 4

CORVETTE (4) 1988-1991
1991 V8-350ci 5.7L F/I Vin 8
1990 V8-350ci 5.7L F/I Vin 8
1989 V8-350ci 5.7L F/I Vin 8
1988 V8-350ci 5.7L F/I Vin 8

IMPALA SS (1) 1995-1995

LUMINA (12) 1990-1996
1996 V6-207ci 3.4L F/I Vin X
1995 V6-207ci 3.4L F/I Vin X
1994 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin T
1993 V6-189ci 3.1L FLEX/FI Vin W
1991 L4-151ci 2.5L F/I Vin R
1990 L4-151ci 2.5L F/I Vin R

LUMINA APV (5) 1992-1996
1996 V6-207ci 3.4L F/I Vin E

LUMINA COUPE (8) 1991-1994
1994 V6-207ci 3.4L F/I Vin X
1993 V6-207ci 3.4L F/I Vin X
1991 L4-151ci 2.5L F/I Vin R
1991 V6-207ci 3.4L F/I Vin X

LUMINA EURO COUPE (6) 1992-1994
1992 V6-207ci 3.4L F/I Vin X

LUMINA EURO SEDAN (6) 1992-1994

LUMINA Z34 COUPE (3) 1992-1994

MONTE CARLO (2) 1995-1996

MONTE CARLO Z34 (2) 1995-1996

PICKUP C2500 3/4 TON 4x2 (2) 1994-1995
1995 V8-454ci 7.4L F/I Vin N
1994 V8-454ci 7.4L F/I Vin N

PICKUP C3500 1 TON 4x2 (2) 1994-1995

PICKUP K2500 3/4 TON 4x4 (2) 1994-1995
1995 V8-454ci 7.4L 4 BBL Vin N
1994 V8-454ci 7.4L 4 BBL Vin N

PICKUP K3500 1 TON 4x4 (2) 1994-1995

PICKUP S10 4x2 (2) 1994-1995
1995 L4-133ci 2.2L F/I Vin 4
1994 L4-133ci 2.2L F/I Vin 4

PICKUP T10 4x4 (S10) (1) 1994-1994

GMC (10) 1994-1995
PICKUP C2500 3/4 TON 4x2 (2) 1994-1995

PICKUP C3500 1 TON 4x2 (2) 1994-1995

PICKUP K2500 3/4 TON 4x4 (2) 1994-1995

PICKUP K3500 1 TON 4x4 (2) 1994-1995

PICKUP SONOMA (S15/T15) (2) 1994-1995
1995 L4-133ci 2.2L F/I Vin 4

OLDSMOBILE (61) 1987-1997
CALAIS 442 (1) 1991-1991

CUTLASS CALAIS (7) 1988-1991

CUTLASS CALAIS - INTL (3) 1989-1991
1990 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin A
1989 L4-138ci 2.3L F/I Vin A

CUTLASS CIERA (9) 1987-1992
1987 V6-173ci 2.8L F/I Vin W
1987 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin 3

CUTLASS CIERA CRUISER (3) 1987-1992
1987 V6-173ci 2.8L F/I Vin W
1987 V6-231ci 3.8L F/I Vin 3

CUTLASS CRUISER (3) 1988-1991

CUTLASS SUPREME (19) 1988-1997
1997 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin M
1993 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin M

CUTLASS SUPREME INT'L (2) 1992-1993

DELTA 88 (1) 1989-1989

SILHOUETTE (OLDS) (5) 1992-1996

TORONADO (4) 1989-1992

TORONADO TROFEO (4) 1989-1992

PONTIAC (51) 1988-1996
6000 (5) 1988-1991
1988 V6-189ci 3.1L F/I Vin T

6000 SE AWD (1) 1990-1990

6000 STE (2) 1988-1989

BONNEVILLE (3) 1989-1991

BONNEVILLE SSE (3) 1989-1991

FIERO (1) 1988-1988
1988 V6-173ci 2.8L F/I Vin 9

GRAND AM (6) 1988-1991
1989 L4-122ci 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin M
1988 L4-122ci 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin M

GRAND PRIX (18) 1988-1996

GRAND PRIX GTP (3) 1991-1993

SUNBIRD (4) 1988-1991
1990 L4-122ci 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin M
1989 L4-122ci 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin M
1988 L4-122ci 2.0L F/I Turbo Vin M

TRANS SPORT (5) 1992-1996

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

With no disrespect to FOY, I am too wondering why a second attempt was not done, at a different dyno shop.

...this 4.9 is like Nothing Anyone has ever seen. Just about every aspect of the build is custom, prototype parts, that were hand made by FOY. This "MIGHT" be the time that sum of the parts equals something greater than the parts alone. (or however that saying goes)

If this works, it may be the fastest N/A 4.9 on the planet. Who Knows, we Shall see when the car actually gets out and onto a real dyno.

So why hasn't the car been on a "real" dyno then?

You'd think that FOY themselves would be very keen to have some proper dyno numbers produced... if they're confident with what they've done.

Seriously Dave, there's no valid reason why FOY shouldn't have your car dyno'd before you take delivery. Give them an extra day if necessary (although it would seem they've already had plenty of time).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-25-2012).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

I just got home, seems they tried to call while I was out, I'll give them a buzz and see what's buzzing on their end, hopefully its my motor.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Ok I just got off the phone with them, they say they went back through the car, fixed the items I pointed out yesterday when I was down, and have gone through the car a 2nd time to double check everything, we have decided, that same as Patrick's recommendation they will have the car an extra day and will put it on the dyno at a different dyno shop. Yippie. I can't wait to see what the numbers end up being. He said he will call me in the morning to let me know what is going on.

I'll update the thread when I get more concrete details.

------------------

TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2012 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXDirect Link to This Post

fixed the items I pointed out yesterday when I was down

Will that include 3" exhaust?

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock