Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Who's ready for a proper 4.9? (Page 14)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 
Previous Page | Next Page
Who's ready for a proper 4.9? by FriendOfYours
Started on: 10-03-2012 02:56 AM
Replies: 674
Last post by: MaxCubes on 06-06-2013 02:43 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Oh and FOY says he is going to road test the car a fair bit tomorrow and post a video of the road test for all to see. I am really looking forward to this, and so help me god if something goes wrong on the road test I am going to freaking LOSE IT.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Oh and FOY says he is going to road test the car a fair bit tomorrow and post a video of the road test for all to see. I am really looking forward to this, and so help me god if something goes wrong on the road test I am going to freaking LOSE IT.

Don't jinx yourself even more man!
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigDirect Link to This Post

FOY says he will bring my car up on Saturday,

Not to be negative but we have heard that before. I think I can confidently say that we are all holding our fingers crossed that all goes well for you on this weekend.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 04:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
<Knocking on wood> Ow! Hurts my head!

FriendOfYours

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-25-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Uploading the video now. It'll take a couple hours on my crappy DSL. The joys of being out in the boonies...

Man, this thing really pulls. I set the rev limiter to 5900 just to be safe, but from right around 2500 all the way to the limiter, it just fliiiiesss
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2013 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Awesome.

I have been installing all my new gear into my 88 so when I go to move it all over to the V8 it will be a simple plug and play.

So far I have the new Monster Tach, New 1000w Sub with 4500w Amp, new Digital MSD Box, new Stereo with Digital HD Radio, and Bluetooth.

I am still really on the fence, if I want to trust the V8 to make the run to Oregon and back, its going to be 1000 miles return with all the running around. Well we shall see how she does on the run to BC tomorrow.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Please don't tell me that something is wrong. I thought you were posting a Video?

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Just to confirm so there is no confusion as to what you have done to the car.

Complete new front suspension using the parts I supplied. Upper and Lower Control arms with the new ball joints. Front end aligned.

Engine will have the new Intake installed

The Delta Cam installed.

Allante Starter will be on the motor.

The Steel Rocker Supports will either be installed or included.

You said there is a new CV Shaft installed and I said we could deduct the CV Shaft cost from the amount you offered as a refund.

Things I need to know

What Oil is in the motor?
What Coolant if any is in the motor?
What Trans Fluid is in the Trans?

If you could email me a copy of the BIN file used so I can reference the changes made. A friend of mine has a chip burner and has burned chips for Caddy's in the past.

What basic changes did you make from my original bin, as the bin I had was dyno tuned for use with a dual O2 motor to gain 20hp over the stock Caddy program.

------------------

ericjon262

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
good luck.
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I really hope you get the car back. I'm looking forward to pictures and video's!
FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2013 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post

Just to confirm so there is no confusion as to what you have done to the car.

Complete new front suspension using the parts I supplied. Upper and Lower Control arms with the new ball joints. Front end aligned.

Engine will have the new Intake installed

The Delta Cam installed.

Allante Starter will be on the motor.

The Steel Rocker Supports will either be installed or included.

You said there is a new CV Shaft installed and I said we could deduct the CV Shaft cost from the amount you offered as a refund.

Things I need to know

What Oil is in the motor?
What Coolant if any is in the motor?
What Trans Fluid is in the Trans?

If you could email me a copy of the BIN file used so I can reference the changes made. A friend of mine has a chip burner and has burned chips for Caddy's in the past.

What basic changes did you make from my original bin, as the bin I had was dyno tuned for use with a dual O2 motor to gain 20hp over the stock Caddy program.

It's sitting at 74% right now, I should have done it in chucks

All suspension parts provided were installed. 4 wheel alignment and front left tire changed

New intake, allante starter and cam installed. I'll bring the rocker bridges

The CV is installed and I'll bring the receipt for warranty

10w30 Mobil1 Syn

Coolant is mixed to 50/50

The trans has Oreilly 5w30 in it. The stuff that was in there looked like a milkshake

I've got a spreadsheet with the changes to the bin. I'll email it to you with a copy of your old one and the new one
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I really can't wait to get it back and test it for a day or 2 and then make my decision if I am going to drive it, or my 88GT on my mini road trip. It would sure be fun to show it off in my small home town in Oregon. A lot of people have to ask me what type of car my 88GT is as they had never even Seen a Fiero before. If I showed up in a body modded, V8 Fiero with Nitrous I would scare the hell out of them.

Granted I risk going to jail driving it down there, so many WIDE OPEN Back Roads, that seem to stretch for Miles and Miles, they just beg you to put your foot to the floor and let the motor sing to you. There is a stupid stretch of road going from Aurora Oregon to Barlow Oregon, Aurora has a population of 500 people and Barlow has a population of 130 people. Yet the road is 5 lanes, 2 in each direction and a middle paved center lane. So very little traffic and in my stock 88 I usually push 100mph and just sail along. Next town after Barlow is Canby Oregon and I think they are at 15,000 people. Oh I love the farming country roads down there. Bad Traffic is considered more than 2-3 cars in front of you at a stop light. LOL.

I don't' want to get my hopes up too much as I can't take another let down with the car.

------------------

FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2013 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
I don't care what it takes, that car is getting to you this weekend no matter what
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

It's sitting at 74% right now, I should have done it in chucks

All suspension parts provided were installed. 4 wheel alignment and front left tire changed

New intake, allante starter and cam installed. I'll bring the rocker bridges

The CV is installed and I'll bring the receipt for warranty

10w30 Mobil1 Syn

Coolant is mixed to 50/50

The trans has Orella 5w30 in it. The stuff that was in there looked like a milkshake

I've got a spreadsheet with the changes to the bin. I'll email it to you with a copy of your old one and the new one

I am in no way asking you to change anything, but for future reference, that is a Getrag 5spd and requires Synchromesh and not Motor Oil like the 4spds used. The Synchromesh is a thinner stuff as the Getrag has tighter tolerances that the Motor oil has problems lubricating in. Also the Synchromesh has additives to work better with the synchro's so the car will shift smoother.

Like I said don't' worry about it, I am sure it will be fine for the 200 mile drive up here, I'll flush and fill it. I have several jobs to do the car when you get it to me like installing the Rocker Supports, installing the new ignition, new tach and new stereo system, then installing the Trailer Hitch and wiring adapter for the trailer lights.

Have you had a chance to notice if the speedo and tach in the car are working correctly or not? As well as any other gauges? I just want to make sure they are all happy. If they are not, I want to get the parts ready to fix them. I am really loving this Monster 5" tach. Temporarily I have it installed in the 88GT and it is so cool. Although at night the shift light really blinds you.

------------------

FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2013 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post

I am in no way asking you to change anything, but for future reference, that is a Getrag 5spd and requires Synchromesh and not Motor Oil like the 4spds used. The Synchromesh is a thinner stuff as the Getrag has tighter tolerances that the Motor oil has problems lubricating in. Also the Synchromesh has additives to work better with the synchro's so the car will shift smoother.

Like I said don't' worry about it, I am sure it will be fine for the 200 mile drive up here, I'll flush and fill it. I have several jobs to do the car when you get it to me like installing the Rocker Supports, installing the new ignition, new tach and new stereo system, then installing the Trailer Hitch and wiring adapter for the trailer lights.

Have you had a chance to notice if the speedo and tach in the car are working correctly or not? As well as any other gauges? I just want to make sure they are all happy. If they are not, I want to get the parts ready to fix them. I am really loving this Monster 5" tach. Temporarily I have it installed in the 88GT and it is so cool. Although at night the shift light really blinds you.

Check your factory service manual and the dipstick on the speed sensor, the Getrag original equipment fluid is 5w30. Syncromesh wasn't introduced until the 90s

The speedo and tach both work as they should
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just to clarify you are driving it up from your Dad's place, leaving shortly after 1pm which will put you in Blaine at 4pm...

Call me when you leave your Dads, so I know you are on the road and I can start getting my stuff and my driver ready.

Then call me when you take the Blaine Truck Crossing Exit. I'll get on the road with my driver.

Funny store, Saturday morning we are dropping off our Blazer to one Mechanic to locate, buy, and install a new Cat, then take it to Air-care so we won't have it back till about Monday. Then Monday we take our GTP down to get a new Trans installed in it. (ouch $1400) this is all after Tuesday I got my mothers Fiero through Air-care and Wednesday I got my Yellow 88GT through Air-care.

Lisa can't drive stick and all our cars left to drive are sticks. My Buddie also can not drive stick. The only person free on Saturday to drive me down is "gasp" my Mother as her Fiero's have all been standards. Either that or Lisa drives our GTP in 1st / 2nd only to get us across the boarder and back. I am going to try and find a friend that can run me across. I have some close friends in the VW Drivers club. One guy with a killer Turbo Jetta that I am just dying to race too. 2.0 liter and 20lbs of boost on a standalone ECM. It should be interesting.

I am so excited in a Low Key sort of way, there is no way I am going to sleep tonight.

Dumb question but are you driving the car up, or trailering it up. I would prefer driving it up as that will give you a 200 mile highway road test before I take the keys.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by FriendOfYours:

Check your factory service manual and the dipstick on the speed sensor, the Getrag original equipment fluid is 5w30. Syncromesh wasn't introduced until the 90s

The speedo and tach both work as they should

Awesome and Amazing. IF they were speced that from the Factory then I don't have any worries, it was just a GM Service bulletin that Synchromesh was to be used.

That makes me feel a lot better.

Can't wait to see you.

I plan to use the refund funds you give me to pay the duty on repairs when I cross the line. I think they are going to charge me around 200-400 in duty and taxes to get the car imported.

Oh Make sure you have a receipt for work performed on the car.

I'll email you in regards to the receipt.

------------------

FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-26-2013 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
Of course I'm driving it up
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 04:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Awesome, Amazing and Totally Cool.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Is this the way the intake will be setup with that filter when you bring it up. I am just wondering what I will need to do in order to get that filter into some cold air space.

I am glad you did fine a filter that will work for now. I would had to be driving it around un-filtered.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Have not heard from you? Going to call you in a few mins.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Have not heard from you?

Hope that's not a bad sign.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I got a text at 12:20 saying they were on the road, and got a call at around 3pm saying he blew the alternator. They are replacing it on the road with a new one, and will still make it to me tonight.

I know its going to be a cluster fudge from heck, as he is going to call me from Blain then I'll leave my house and get in line with US Immigration once I clear that, I will get down to the car, finish up our business and then return to Canadian Immigration and pay whatever taxes they want to charge for the work done to the car. (yes we get taxed on labor we have done in the states, it sucks but no sense in fighting it) With any luck I won't have to pay more than $150 in taxes. There is a loophole that they can tax me on the entire value of the car if the modifications substantially increased the value of the car. However this was more about repairing a blown head gasket in my original motor which was already a 4.9 V8.

------------------

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like it will be chaotic but at least you will have your car back.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
My only concern and I voiced this to FOY when I was at the shop was the location of the intake puts it at less than 1/16 of an inch from the alternators main charge post. I don't know if it affects the re and re of the alternator though. I have to go and run get KFC for the house and I'll have my cell phone handy in case he calls. I still don't have a confirmed ride to the boarder, but if worst comes to worst, I'll drive my 88GT down, get the V8 Bring it back and then go back for the 88 tomorrow. I know it seems dumb to even consider that, but I REALLY WANT MY V8 BACK. If I had to choose which car to keep it would be no contest. I don't care about status or value, I really love my 4.9 5spd car.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Well turns out the reason the alternator blew was something was shorting out.... I got a call at 4:28pm stating the car had caught fire. It was an electrical fire in the engine bay. He was able to put the fire out with antifreeze and has sent me pictures of the burnt wiring.

He is attempting to repair it now and will call to advise on what is next.

------------------

nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post
Wow, everyone tells me I have absolutely THE worst luck with cars out of anyone they've ever heard of.. But I think you just might have me beat in this case. Hopefully its still functioning enough to get the car back to you.
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
You might try a 3800 alternator, they are more compact and mount easily on the 4.9.

Hang in there!

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 01-26-2013).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just got off the phone with FOY he believes he has fixed it. Said there were about 12 wires that got damaged. I'll post the pics he sent me shortly.

He is going to give it one more shot to get it up here.

If there is another problem he is going to get it back to the shop and I have arranged transport for the car to be moved.

However I am still giving FOY the benefit of the doubt and hoping he can get the car back to me.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2013 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Here are the pics he sent me.

He said the TPS wires, the Fuel Pump Relay Wires, and a few other wires and some spark plug wires were all damaged.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
It almost looks like they had fallen down and were resting on the exhaust. Is he still bringing it up tonight?
FriendOfYours

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-27-2013 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FriendOfYoursSend a Private Message to FriendOfYoursDirect Link to This Post
There was thermal wrap on the wires, thats what all the powdery stuff is, and they aren't long enough to get close to the exhaust. The insulation caught fire as well. It's all fixed

[This message has been edited by FriendOfYours (edited 01-27-2013).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
On an unrelated note, I got the Tach test fit in my 88GT along with the Sub and Stereo System that will be going into the V8.

------------------

carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
Car this morning?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
He said he would leave around 9am and would be here around 11 or 12. Its just 9 45 Pacific Standard Time.

I have my fingers cautiously crossed.

------------------

FieroMaster88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I'm starting to get anxious! I want to see pictures and video's.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/

LOL, should I take that as a hint I really need a new steering wheel, hehe.

I am going to try and find a nice stock one, as I intend to try for collector plates on the car. All the stuff installed right now is just for mock up purposes as it will all be moved into the V8 if it eventually gets here.

On that note, I called him at 11:30 and did not get an answer, its now Noon, I am starting to get worried.

------------------

Formula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2013 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FormulaSend a Private Message to FormulaDirect Link to This Post
hopefully you're going through the border now!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 17 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock