Started on: 11-16-2003 10:22 AM
Replies: 267
Last post by: 2Sly4U on 03-29-2011 01:39 PM
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
After watching Roy and Jon's dash conversions, I had to try it, too. (Although doing it during my 3800SC swap probably isn't too bright ).
I'm putting in a 2001 Grand Am dash and cluster. Not a project for the faint of heart. If anyone is interested, I'll do a write up when it's further along.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
naskie18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
If you want/need any help on the weekends, with either project, let me know I'm not too far away and I'm always up for working on cars

Good luck!

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

lemonicegt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lemonicegtSend a Private Message to lemonicegtDirect Link to This Post
have any updated pics? or completed install pics of that dash or another swap?
Bradbitz11

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Bradbitz11Send a Private Message to Bradbitz11Direct Link to This Post
SWEET! A Grand Am dash is sweet!

------------------

86 GT -- All Options except Performance Sound

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Awesome job RCR! That Grand Am dash looks like an even better fit than the firebird dash.

Does the steering column require relocation? I initially didn't move my column, but then I eventually went back and raised it about an inch.

Keep us updated and if you need any help with the wiring or anything else don't hesitate to ask.

------------------
If you find my advice useful, then please give me a positive rating, thanks...

1988 GT (Firebird Interior)
1988 Coupe (Daily Driver),
1985 SE (Project Car) Recent Addition
1985 Coupe (parts car)
Firebird Interior Installation Website

Olorin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OlorinSend a Private Message to OlorinDirect Link to This Post
wow, if that's not slick I don't know what is???

I"m curious as well how hard it is, that is just unbelievably slick lookin!

Keep on updating us, and when it's finished write us a full report on how to do it! That is sick!

------------------
Olorin Alpha: XP 1800+ Palamino @ 1.53GHz, soon to update to T-Bred 2
256MB PC2700 DDR RAM
ATI All in Wonder Radeon 7500
OS's: Dualbooting Windows 2000 Professional SP4 and Linux Slackware 9.1!

Olorin Beta: 1986 Pontiac Fiero
4 cyl 2.5L Stock
5 Speed Manual Transmission
Quarter Mile: ??
Top Speed: ??
FOR SALE
//www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/auctions/pfa.cgi?CATEGORY=1000fieros&ITEM=1069348920

Boricuasoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoricuasoyClick Here to visit Boricuasoy's HomePageSend a Private Message to BoricuasoyDirect Link to This Post
thats looking very very nice, i would use the how for it .and again very nice work, keep us updated.

------------------
mod it until is perfect.

http://members.cardomain.com/boricuaso

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Hey, thanx everyone for the positive thoughts. It really isn't that great of a fit. It's actually a little wide at the bottom, and the console area isn't centered well. The a-pillars are also a lot larger on the Grand Am. I moved the column over about an 1/8" to center it better. I had to cut about 1.5" off the column support to get it in. It appears to be a good height but the steering wheel blocks the gauges at the moment. I have the column bracket cut, welded, and re-fit into place. Now I'm working on mounts. I'm hoping the wiring will be straight forward, but I have not tried it yet. You see, the Grand Am dash uses the serial data link to get ALL it's info. Fortunately, the 98 3800SC has this link also. I'm told all the info should be there, but as I said, I have not tried it. Otherwise I'll have to swap in all analog gauges.
I have a lot of pics, so I'll fill in more as I go.

Bob

Oh, thanx Naskie. I might have to take you up on it.

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2003 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
I have stood and looked at those dashes wondering...

Man, I hope this works out. Take good notes, lots of pictures, and keep us posted.

Good on ya.

------------------

Dwayne Mohr
84 SC Red
87 GT 5sp Silver
(Formerly FieroSoul, member since 2001)

yons

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2003 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yonsSend a Private Message to yonsDirect Link to This Post
damn thats looking good keep us updated because i want to do something like that
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2003 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
Hey... another convert! Looks like you're well underway. Keep up the good work.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show - 7/2003

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
No pics of the evenings work, but I spent the last few hours re-doing the column bracket. I decided that the height was ok, but it stuck out too far. So I shortened the column by 1.5", using the "brute force" method described by Robert Proulx at Lambolounge. http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Steering/Steering-column/steering-colum-shorten.asp
This moves the steering wheel closer to the dash, giving me a bit more arm room. Hopefully I can finish up the bracket tomorrow, then move on to the dash mounts.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Well, I have an update, as the latest pics download from the camera. I'll start with what it should look like when it's done:

Here is a view of the corner that needs to be filled near the A-pillar. With the loss of the Fiero speaker holes, I'm thinking some nice 1" tweeters will do the trick.

This picture shows the mounting ear from the column support channel that has to be removed.

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-26-2003).]

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Man that looks awsome!!! + for ya. I am thinking now what I will be doing as I have all my Exterior and mechanical mods figured out. Now what to do with the das? I may end up making my own

------------------

86 SE Needs every thing but a Motor & Sunroof Seal!!! Now for Sale! $1200.00
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Web Master
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.com
Will entertain for SIG! Photoshop Challenged. Only you can help stop Text Sig's!

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
In this image, you can see that there is not much left of the winshield vent after the dash is cut to fit the windshield curve. I'm planning on cutting out more for the vent, then making a fiberglass cover that incorporates the vents.

Here is a view of the end of the dash. I lost the auction for the end covers and the glove box at the last moment. Who would want them without the dash, I don't know. Anyone know where I can get them and the airbag cover?

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
That's it for now. The rest of the pics are still downloading. I'll have more in the morning.

Thanx, Kento...

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
looking good on the progress. The hardest part is going to be filling those gaps near the A pillar. You will need a custom piece and if you use fiberglass there will be a lot of filling and sanding. Not difficult, but time consuming and tedious.

Keep up the good work and if you get discouraged post a few pics and we'll help to inspire you.

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. I remember cutting off the steering column upper support too-the thought of no turning back now.

Pete

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Hey, special thanx to three of the masters: Jon, Pete and Roy (up there)
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2003 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Yep, cutting off the column support bracket is the rite of passage for all us dash swappers.

But I didn't remove any mounting holes so a Fiero dash could theoretically go back in if I wanted to do that.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Bringing everything up to date.

These next two pictures show the first way I mounted the front of the column. I cut about 1.5" off of the support and the mounting ears off of the bracket. I then welded some bar stock to the bracket so that it mounts vertically. I mounted it offset to the support to move the column over about 3/16".

It was at this time I learned that it would be virtually impossible to get the column in when the dash was mounted, so I decided the column must be in first, which means stripping everything off the end so the dash can pass over it. (Note, unlike the F-body dashes, the Grand Am is one piece at the bottom. The column goes right thru the middle.)

PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
While test fitting the dash, I noticed that the steering wheel was a lot further away from the dash than on the Grand Am, and looked a littel funny. So, following the guidelines of members of the LamboLounge, I shortened my column by 1.5"

Notice the column is stripped on the end. The duct tape is holding the bearing in place.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Having shortend the column, I now had to re-mount the front bracket again. I cut off the ears I had welded on, and welded on some horizontal ears. (The stock ones may have worked, but were long gone).

Here it is being held in with vise-grips so I can check the fit and mark the mounting holes. I moved the bracket inboard the 1.5" I shortened the column.

There is also a ridge on the back of the support channel on the left side. I had to clearance this spot with a grinder to clear the ignition switch. (sorry, no pic, but if you look, you'll see it).
Edit:
Here is the bracket loosely in place, without the column. If you look closely thru the middle of the bracket, you can see the area that was ground off. Sorry it's so dark.

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 12-06-2003).]

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Mounting the dash has had me pondering, since there are no mounting ears up by the windshield. I didn't want to pop screws thru the top, plus they would be difficult to get to. So, I broke out the 5-minute epoxy and cut 4 1x1x1/16" aluminum 90* brackets. I straighted out the Fiero mounting ears at the windshield so they were perpendicular to the dash, then I marked and drilled the holes in the brackets. With the dash in place, I glued the brackets to the dash and held them in place by screwing them to the mounting ears.

Lots of room in the dash when there's no duct work.

Once the glue had set (over-nite), I removed the dash and pop rivited the brackets to the dash, just for some extra holding power. Be very carefull when drilling the holes so that you don't go thru the outside vinyl. The dash has about 1/4" of padding at this point, so there is fudge room.

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

RCR

4397 posts
Member since Sep 2002
I also made a braket out of steel bar stock 1x1/8", to support the bottom of the instrument cluster. I pop riveted the bracket to the dash, and screwed the bracket to the column support channel.

For the center support, I measured from the main support hoop to the dash, then down to the consol hump. I used the same bar stock as above and bent up a bracket. (Damned thing fit perfect on the first shot. Amazing )

I did learn one thing at this point. The stock Fiero radio does not fit in the dash. Gee, it looks like I'll be stuck with a top of the line Delco radio with cd changer now

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-22-2003).]

connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
Simply amazing, I wish I had the tools, knowledge, money, and nads to try this. I love the look of my 99 Alero dash but would barely know where to start if I wanted to install it. Good luck , and great work man!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Excellent job, RCR!! great documentation for anyone wanting to do this swap.

A dash swap is about as complicated as an engine swap. Just about anyone can do it, but it takes a lot of work and time.

Glad to see you are up to the challenge.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Nice work! And a lot of work too.

What about deleting the 3 middle vents and put 3 fancy gauges in there?

The_Raven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2003 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_RavenClick Here to visit The_Raven's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_RavenDirect Link to This Post
That looks great, many props to you, and looking at the work, is just amazing.

That should go very nicely with the 3800 swap.

------------------
The Raven :Under Construction
"James" 1985 GMC Jimmy, 3.2L turbocharged intercooled hybrid 13.873 @ 99.08

"Speed Costs, How fast do you want to go?"

RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post

What about deleting the 3 middle vents and put 3 fancy gauges in there?

That's exactly what I was thinking. I was thinking of using the two left vents. One for a volt meter, the other for oil pressure. I made an A-pillar pod already for boost and trans temp.

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-23-2003).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2003 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
If you guys lived in Texas it would never occur to you to want to remove any vents. I'm looking for ways to add vents! I need more airflow to make up for the Fieros marginal a/c. (well at least my Fiero's marginal a/c)
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
A small update, since I was out most of the weekend. The instument cluster is almost entirely controled off the serial data bus. I was very concerned that I was going to have to retrofit the entire thing with analog gauges. I did discover that the GTP ECM I'm using for the engine uses the same communications for it's peripheral devices so I was hoping it would support the cluster. Since my engine is not close to running, I connected the instrument cluster to my 2001 Montana diagnostic port. The cluster ran fine. Several lites came on, such as air bag and seat belt, but I can take care of them later.

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-24-2003).]

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
Cool project, I love how well you've documented so far, too! Keep up the good work, it looks like it will be a pretty slick dash once you finish it.

Bryce
88 GT

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:
Here is a view of the end of the dash. I lost the auction for the end covers and the glove box at the last moment. Who would want them without the dash, I don't know. Anyone know where I can get them and the airbag cover?

Why yes I do, and I'm not the far away either, I'll PM you my phone, and tomorrow I'll go take pictures at the yard for you, I'm pretty sure Alero endcaps will work.
rubyredfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2003 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
You guys are so motivated it's hard not be involved with your projects, well at least mentally. Great coverage and support by others. Keep it coming. I doubt if I ever get enough nerve to try that out. Someday!!!
naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Oh boy...now I done went and started thinking again I may be trying this over Christmas break....Bob, how close does the shifter come to hitting the radio surround? Anybody know if the manual trans has more/less forward throw than the auto?

Nick

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Just another item of curiosity, how well would a grand prix dash fit? I know they are wider. I think its easier to cut off then to add on. however it seems that the center console is higher on a Fiero then just about any other car. I have to say though, the Grand am dash shure looks cool in a Fiero.
RCR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2003 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
The Grand Prix was my first choice til I started looking at it closely. Wasn't quite what I wanted. Here are some pictures of Jim Ashlock's Fiero/355 Ferrari conversion:

And a link to the build-up: http://www.kitcar.ca/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1896

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-26-2003).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by naskie18:
Anybody know if the manual trans has more/less forward throw than the auto?

Nick

Nick,

The auto has more throw than the manual. I have a manual shift panel on my coupe, (which is an auto) and I had to notch out the top and bottom of the panel to give the shifter enough room to move. More on the "park" side, (which is the top) has to be notched. This is going to make any dash swap on an auto a little more challenging.

naskie18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2003 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Nick,

The auto has more throw than the manual. I have a manual shift panel on my coupe, (which is an auto) and I had to notch out the top and bottom of the panel to give the shifter enough room to move. More on the "park" side, (which is the top) has to be notched. This is going to make any dash swap on an auto a little more challenging.

Thanks Jonathon Luckily, I've got the manual, so that should help a bit in reducing the interference between the shifter and the radio surround on whichever dash I end up doing.

Nick

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock