Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Project 3.4 TDC / 4-speed muncie swap underway... (Page 7)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
Project 3.4 TDC / 4-speed muncie swap underway... by Darth Fiero
Started on: 02-29-2004 09:31 PM
Replies: 397
Last post by: Kohburn on 04-28-2005 08:36 AM
neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2004 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
Wow that swap looks great. Brings back memories 'sniff'

------------------
Alan Frazier
'86 GT-'92 3.4 TDC 5 speed(sold)
'84 2m4 project car
'88 Silver coupe, auto For Sale

IP: Logged
DustoneGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2004 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
Dusty's 88 coupe w/ 3.4 DOHC, getrag, poly everything, lowered,
flowmaster 80 series, big cams, and all that good stuff!

Coming to a driveway near you (if you live in NM) in 2006!

Sounds like a lot of fun putting that together.

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2004 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
here are those exhaust pics someone requested...

2.5" mandrel bent tubing to the muffler, then 2.25" mandrel bent tubing out to the tips. Holley Terminator single-in, dual-out f-body muffler that fits in the stock location no problem.

The Adjuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2004 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The AdjusterClick Here to visit The Adjuster's HomePageSend a Private Message to The AdjusterDirect Link to This Post
Yellow Artero, hope you can make it to Auburn, I'd really like to see this car in the show! Mainly because mine won't be done in time (whimper) but that is ok. I really hope you like the way this car has come together! It sounds mean but not obnoxious, Darth and Rare w66 have both said you can't hardly hear the exhaust inside the car, unfortunately I have yet to ride in it...but I know you are feeling the same way... If it makes you feel better my car doesn't get started until yours leaves! Well good luck on selling your house and hope to see you and your lovely wife soon in Auburn!
Flyguyeddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FlyguyeddySend a Private Message to FlyguyeddyDirect Link to This Post
page 3? oh HELL no!

boot to the top...

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2004 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just doing some checking and finishing up the little nick-nacks to make sure it is ready for the customer and the car show at Auburn on July 3rd.
YellowArtero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowArteroSend a Private Message to YellowArteroDirect Link to This Post
Adjuster:

It looks like we will all arrive in Auburn together. The car can be on display and everyone can see the work Ryan did (and your cleaning). We can't wait until we get to see everybody and just have fun. We need the rest and not think about overpriced houses!!!!

The Adjuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AdjusterClick Here to visit The Adjuster's HomePageSend a Private Message to The AdjusterDirect Link to This Post
Yellow artero, guess that means I have two cars to get ready for show after all, I'll try to get a coat of wax on it before we leave. I think you should put it in work in progress class but Darth is pushing for engine swap class, guess it is your call since it is your car. See you soon...real estate isn't getting any cheaper so I wish you luck finding your dream home in toronto (further away huh? sniffle).
YellowArtero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2004 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowArteroSend a Private Message to YellowArteroDirect Link to This Post
ADJUSTER:

I'll go for what Darth says. I've done that all along anyway. Yes, it is a shame we are an hour further away but it's a lot more exciting area for you to visit.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2004 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by YellowArtero:

I'll go for what Darth says. I've done that all along anyway. Yes, it is a shame we are an hour further away but it's a lot more exciting area for you to visit.

We need to come visit, hopefully you will be all settled in soon so maybe we could take a trip up later this summer/fall. Anyway, Fred and I are doing the final touch up on your engine and getting it ready for the show. The class is up to you but I think the Auburn show only has stock and modified class by year and body type (GT, notchback, etc).

-ryan

The Adjuster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AdjusterClick Here to visit The Adjuster's HomePageSend a Private Message to The AdjusterDirect Link to This Post
Yellow Artero, hopefully I can get some wax on your car before we leave, unfortunately rarew66 has the valve cover again (He's never happy with his work I think but this time I could understand). But anyway I have to wait till that gets back so we can drive the car to the carwash around the corner. I think we are leaving for Auburn at about 10 am so we should get in before the Friday night cruise if all goes well. Sad to say but this thread is about done.
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2004 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
the valve cover is on and looks great. all I need to do now is do the final oil change and load it up for the trip to the Auburn show. See you there!
YellowArtero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2004 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowArteroSend a Private Message to YellowArteroDirect Link to This Post
We'll see everybody there on Friday. The car will be on display for everyone to check out the conversion. I even get to bring it home!!

gascarracer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gascarracerSend a Private Message to gascarracerDirect Link to This Post

Bump
fiero308

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2004 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero308Send a Private Message to fiero308Direct Link to This Post
I think some pix at the show (with lots of detail!) would be a really fitting wrap up!?!??!
how's about it?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have some pics from the show and will get them posted wednesday.
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
just finished welding up that little air filter canister mod you did last night at work. thanks for the idea.

still need to find a piece of tubing to replace the water separator. were you able to use a strait piece? looks like it needs a slight bend. hoping i can find a used cai tube to cut a section from.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2004 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Finally got a chance to upload some pics to wrap this swap up. They are from the 2004 Fieros at Auburn car show.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2004 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to provide a link to the webpage I made about this car on my website with some abbrviated buildup instructions in case this thread gets archived.

http://dtcc.cz28.com/3.4DOHCFiero/index.htm

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2004 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
bump for my favorites
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
are all the sensors needed to convert from MAF to MAP already on the engine? just needs the early wiring harness and ecm?
is there any powerloss/fuel efficiency loss going this route?

PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

are all the sensors needed to convert from MAF to MAP already on the engine? just needs the early wiring harness and ecm?
is there any powerloss/fuel efficiency loss going this route?

Only one sensor needs to be changed over from the MAF to MAP systems. You will need to remove the MAF sensor and install a MAP sensor. The MAP sensor will require a 5v reference and sensor ground, which you can get off the TPS sensor, and then you can just use the sensor signal wire from the MAF as the MAP signal wire and of course repin at the computer. In fact, you can keep the current harness and just repin the connectors to work with the earlier computer. As far as performance loss, there will be NO performance loss going from MAF to speed density (MAP), however you may notice slightly less gas mileage since you will be losing sequential injection. The reason why you won't loose any performance going to batch fire/speed density from SFI is because most factory SFI systems don't even operate in SFI mode above 3000 rpm anyways, at least that is the word from the EFI guru's.

With SFI aside, the only advantage MAF based systems have over speed density is they can compensate for moderate changes to the engine itself, concerning upgrades such as cam changes, head porting, etc. The problem is there are limitations to what the MAF sensor can tell the computer to compensate for (limitations are in the chip), and the MAF sensor only has a direct bearing on how much fuel to deliver. Timing delivery is based on engine load and is basically fixed per instructions on the chip. While an increase in MAF reading will usually increase the fuel delivery, it will not adjust timing accordingly, so you will still need a custom chip or program to get the full benefit out of your modifications. The biggest problem we have today is there is virtually no custom tuning available for the 94-up MAF based 3.4 DOHC computers. I am sure one day that programming will become available, but who knows when or how long it will be until that day, if at all. Basically, from what I have heard, no one is interested in messing with these systems at this point.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2004 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
cool - sounds easy
so the 97 harness should have the right connectors to plug into the 93pcm? (after repinning of course)

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-12-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2004 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

cool - sounds easy
so the 97 harness should have the right connectors to plug into the 93pcm? (after repinning of course)

I believe they all are the same but 1 or 2 might be different and not plug in. However, the good news is the electrical terminals are the same so you can just remove the wires/terminals from the 97 connectors in insert them into the 93 connectors. I don't know if all of the connectors have the wires in the correct spots, you will need to compare pinout diagrams between the two systems.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

The 89-90 Turbo 3.1 Grand Prix computer can be reprogrammed to work with the 3.4 DOHC engine. However, it is only batch fire like the 91-93 DOHC ECM, but it does not have the capability to control a 4T60-E trans like the 91-93 ECM. The TGP computers are far more common than the 91-93 DOHC computers are though and do share the same underhood design.

while i am picking your brain.. IF i found someone to remove the auto from the maf setup - would the MAF be able to auto adjust for 5psi boost?

if not then it makes more sense to go with the earlier computer for ease of reprogramming for a boosted engine.. all the boost calculators are showing about 6 psi (intercooled) would put it up to 300crank hp.. so thats a possability for the future..

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-14-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

while i am picking your brain.. IF i found someone to remove the auto from the maf setup - would the MAF be able to auto adjust for 5psi boost?

if not then it makes more sense to go with the earlier computer for ease of reprogramming for a boosted engine.. all the boost calculators are showing about 6 psi (intercooled) would put it up to 300crank hp.. so thats a possability for the future..

Very good question and I am glad you brought it up. The MAF sensor measures mass-air-flow, or amount of air going into the engine. Obviously if you put a turbo on the engine the MAF would measure more air flow. However, the limiting factor is in the programming. Stock programming is only calibrated for the limits of what a stock engine can flow + a little more as a failsafe measure. Limitations are set up in the chip to help diagnose a failing MAF sensor, thus there will be minimum and maximum values allowed by the computer for MAF readings. You can remove these limitations thru programming, but in stock form they will only let the readings go so far. In addition to this the timing table on MAF systems is not based directly on air flow, rather it is based on filtered load and RPM. Filtered load is calculated by readings taken by the MAF, RPM, engine displacement and sometimes TPS. This table also has a maximum value which gets reached on naturally asperated applications, so throwing boost on it will just use the same max table values.

The TGP computer uses a 2-bar map sensor so the ECM knows exactly how much boost pressure exists directly. In addition, the TGP computer has a timing table and fuel tables that span not only the naturally asperated range of operation, but also up to 15 lbs of boost pressure as well. (can be reprogrammed to work with a 3-bar sensor which allows up to 30psi tuneablity). In my opinion, these types of systems are far more effiecient operating with boost than MAF based systems.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
hmm very good,

so a TGP computer would be able to run a non boosted motor and be able to be tweaked for boost later?

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

hmm very good,

so a TGP computer would be able to run a non boosted motor and be able to be tweaked for boost later?

Absolutely. Because n/a applications would only use up to 100kpa of the timing and fuel tables, which would be the same no matter if your engine was N/A or has boost. You will still need to use a 2-bar map sensor though. And when you did put boost on it the computer will sense the boost and then start using the above-100kpa values on the fuel and timing tables.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Absolutely. Because n/a applications would only use up to 100kpa of the timing and fuel tables, which would be the same no matter if your engine was N/A or has boost. You will still need to use a 2-bar map sensor though. And when you did put boost on it the computer will sense the boost and then start using the above-100kpa values on the fuel and timing tables.

sounds like i should use a TGP ecm from the get go on this swap.. and you can do the chip for this computer on the 3.4 dohc for me?

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

sounds like i should use a TGP ecm from the get go on this swap.. and you can do the chip for this computer on the 3.4 dohc for me?

Yes I can do a chip for these systems no problem.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Yes I can do a chip for these systems no problem.

i'll start looking for an 89 3.1L turbo grand prix computer then..

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Kohburn

7349 posts
Member since Jul 2003
man! this is getting anoying wheni call some place and they say they have one that matches - i ask.. so its from a TURBO right? and they all say well the ecm is the same for all of em but the prom isn't

WELL I NEED THE RIGHT PROM!!!!

arg i need a part number or something to protect me from these people

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

man! this is getting anoying wheni call some place and they say they have one that matches - i ask.. so its from a TURBO right? and they all say well the ecm is the same for all of em but the prom isn't

WELL I NEED THE RIGHT PROM!!!!

arg i need a part number or something to protect me from these people

ECM part number was 1227727 and was used in most 88-92 W-body's with the 2.8 or 3.1 MFI. It was also used in the 90-91 L98 vette. As far as the PROM part number:16148531 BCC: AUAF. I do have this .bin on file so you don't need the stock chip for it, but you will need to get one that has a chip for a 3.1 MFI that way it has the correct knock sensor module on it.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2004 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
you are THE MAN !!

emailed a PN request out.. i may end up going turbo from the get go..

a gp 3.1 turbocharger should be a nice fit right? that and a saab900 intercooler converted into a water-air intercooler.. and a bov.. oh yeah and a corvette fuel pump ..

sound about right to you?

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 10-14-2004).]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
A TGP turbo is going to be a little small for a 3.4 DOHC engine, at least from a flow standpoint. I believe a 3.4 DOHC engine is going to want something similar in size that came on a Buick Grand National.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2004 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

A TGP turbo is going to be a little small for a 3.4 DOHC engine, at least from a flow standpoint. I believe a 3.4 DOHC engine is going to want something similar in size that came on a Buick Grand National.

thats what i was thinking - but then i edited my post figured the turbo from a 3.8 would spool too slow..

The_Ikon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2004 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The_IkonClick Here to visit The_Ikon's HomePageSend a Private Message to The_IkonDirect Link to This Post
TTT
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
found the ecm -- do you need the chip ahead of time to get a basic program onit to make it run then tweak it after it runs and gets some scantool #'s?
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2004 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

found the ecm -- do you need the chip ahead of time to get a basic program onit to make it run then tweak it after it runs and gets some scantool #'s?

I will need the chip ahead of time to lay on the basic timing and fuel map to match your engine, besides everything else that needs to be done to make it compatible with a Fiero.

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2004 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
ecm is on its way to my house - you've got mail.

turbo 3.4 TDC here i come

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock